or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 118

post #3511 of 9492
Yes, I am using the zone 3 trigger now for a separate power amp.

Had the 805 previously.

Would be nice if they had a zone 1 trigger in this unit.

I used the switched outlet on the 805 to trigger before (separate trigger device plugged in) and wish they had included a switched outlet on the 818.
post #3512 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Hi Neil,
I just measured mine and it was 18 1/2.
edit; that was only on the front I didn't do the sides.

Thanks Patrick, but I think you measured the width of the cabinet. The spec is 17 1/8" wide and deep. I need the distance from the front right corner to the rear left corner (or the opposite diagonal since both will be the same).

According to the formula for computing the hypotenuse of a triangle, the measurement should be just slightly over 24". But the 17.125" specified depth probably includes the front panel knobs as well as anything sticking out of the back (binding posts and etc). I think the critical measurement is the hypotenuse of the cabinet itself although that's fuzzy. Every inch, or fraction, is critical here.
post #3513 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

No. Could be one of the fans. If you're still in the return period replace it, otherwise contact Onkyo support.

Thank you...I will try to double check to make sure I'm not hearing fans. I didn't think that's what I was hearing, but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Mine doesn't hum. You could try disconnecting everything hooked up to it and if it still hums it's likely a bad unit or perhaps a grounding issue. Try it in another room in your house with nothing connected.
Too bad about the problem.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll try it out in another room in the house.
post #3514 of 9492
I thinking about grabbing an 818 tonight while Newegg still has the $679 price. My TV is capable of 24P. I still am a little confused by what I've read about the 24fps issue....

I read in this thread that the 24.976 bug is not on HDMI 2. Is that on HDMI 2 input or eliminated completely if use use HDMI 2 output?

Also, as I understand it, the 23.976 issue is still there even if receiver video processing is turned off? Is this correct?

habe
post #3515 of 9492
I have poured through this thread and have an 818 on the way. Just to confirm, if I decide later that I want to add an external amp to my 7.1 setup, I could use it to power the fronts l c r and leave the rest of the surrounds to be powered by the 818 correct? I know that I'f you want 9.2 then you must assign certain speakers externally.

Thx!
post #3516 of 9492
I received mine today from Amazon and it didn't come with the sticker in the face plate. It looks brand new, its just weird. I've bought Onkyos before and always have the sticker.
post #3517 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Lopez View Post

I received mine today from Amazon and it didn't come with the sticker in the face plate. It looks brand new, its just weird. I've bought Onkyos before and always have the sticker.

i would say that is a little odd. mine came from there as well(3 wks ago) with the mega sticker plastered on the front.
post #3518 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildawn10 View Post

I have poured through this thread and have an 818 on the way. Just to confirm, if I decide later that I want to add an external amp to my 7.1 setup, I could use it to power the fronts l c r and leave the rest of the surrounds to be powered by the 818 correct? I know that I'f you want 9.2 then you must assign certain speakers externally.
Thx!

yep...
post #3519 of 9492
RE: the faceplate sticker:

I bought a "used" 818 from Amazon Warehouse Deals (not even going to mention what I paid because it was well lower than the current sale price) and even it had the faceplate sticker on it. I think the absence of the sticker is a red flag.
post #3520 of 9492
Hey folks. I just bought the 818 and will be pushing RtiA3's as my FL, FR, RSR and RSL.Center is a CSI A4 and TC80i's as SR and SL with a DSW440 sub.

Will the 818 be more than enough to push these to their potential or will a 2 channel 125 watt amp for the Fronts be better to clear up the rest of the amp for my other speakers?

I am new to the HT scene if you cant tell and any help would be great. I only have read the forums and many people suggest a amp for the mains.

If I do need a 2 channel amp, could you guys recommend me a decent amp that is around $200. Thanks again.

I have heard that Carver and Parasound are warm amps which will go good with my Polks.

The A3's power handling is 20-150 watts and sensitivity at 89db
The CSi A4 power handling is 20-180 wts and sensitivity at 89db
The TC80i handling is up to 125 wts and sesitivity at 90db.
Edited by chrisu7582 - 12/18/12 at 7:45pm
post #3521 of 9492
I think the 818 will drive your RTi3's just fine.

If you need amplification for additional channels check out Emotiva.com.

The offer a number of well priced amps in various configurations.

I use an Emotiva XPA-5 with my 818
post #3522 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvca View Post

I think the 818 will drive your RTi3's just fine.
If you need amplification for additional channels check out Emotiva.com.
The offer a number of well priced amps in various configurations.
I use an Emotiva XPA-5 with my 818

Thanks for the response.
Although they def. pass the eye test in my book, I'm afraid the Emotiva is a little too much $$ than I wanna spend.
I may just look for a cheaper 2 channel amp. The cheapest I could find a 2 channel Emotiva was $600. Thanks again for the quick reply
post #3523 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisu7582 View Post

Thanks for the response.
Although they def. pass the eye test in my book, I'm afraid the Emotiva is a little too much $$ than I wanna spend.
I may just look for a cheaper 2 channel amp. The cheapest I could find a 2 channel Emotiva was $600. Thanks again for the quick reply

Check ebay or the Emotiva Lounge Emporium for a UPA-2 amp if you need external amps. They are a great little 125wpc amp and most will still have something left of a 5 year warranty. I'm kind of partial to the older Acurus amps and will be using an A200 two channel and A200x3 three channel with my new NR818 that gets here Thursday. I could not pass up the NewEgg sale either. XT32 for under $700? Whats not to like.

The amps in the 818 are pretty robust and should make most users happy. Give it a try before you sink money where you might not need it. Maybe a new sub - or just a bunch of beer.biggrin.gif
post #3524 of 9492
Mine arrived from Amazon at 4:30 this afternoon. Swapping it out with the HT-RC180 (basically an NR807) was a breeze. I made it through 3 positions in the Audyssey setup before my daughter came home, making silence impossible, so I wrapped it up for now. I only had a little time for listening, but I immediately noticed a difference from the '180. I have Energy RC-70 fronts that have a dip in the high-mids that the RC180 with MultEQ did not do well at correcting. This had a negative effect on some instruments, particularly strings, and women's voices, leaving a slightly recessed character to these sounds. I listened to some Norah Jones, Dido, and Lindsey Stirling, all of which were significantly improved. My impression from this short session is very good and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with this AVR.

By the time my wife got home, everything was cleaned up like nothing ever happened. Also, the UPS guy brought her a box from Zappos, which always makes her happy. I wonder when she'll notice? biggrin.gif
post #3525 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Check ebay or the Emotiva Lounge Emporium for a UPA-2 amp if you need external amps. They are a great little 125wpc amp and most will still have something left of a 5 year warranty. I'm kind of partial to the older Acurus amps and will be using an A200 two channel and A200x3 three channel with my new NR818 that gets here Thursday. I could not pass up the NewEgg sale either. XT32 for under $700? Whats not to like.
The amps in the 818 are pretty robust and should make most users happy. Give it a try before you sink money where you might not need it. Maybe a new sub - or just a bunch of beer.biggrin.gif

You are not the first person to recommend a new sub for me as well. I got this from crutchfield on sale so I only paid $129 for it. I figured if all else fails I could sell it and get my money back and buy something that would better fit my needs. I agree that I will listen to the 818 before I buy an external amp. Thank you so much for the suggestions though. I will def. keep an eye for those if I decide I need one!
post #3526 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisu7582 View Post

Hey folks. I just bought the 818 and will be pushing RtiA3's as my FL, FR, RSR and RSL.Center is a CSI A4 and TC80i's as SR and SL with a DSW440 sub.
Will the 818 be more than enough to push these to their potential or will a 2 channel 125 watt amp for the Fronts be better to clear up the rest of the amp for my other speakers?
I am new to the HT scene if you cant tell and any help would be great. I only have read the forums and many people suggest a amp for the mains.
If I do need a 2 channel amp, could you guys recommend me a decent amp that is around $200. Thanks again.
I have heard that Carver and Parasound are warm amps which will go good with my Polks.
The A3's power handling is 20-150 watts and sensitivity at 89db
The CSi A4 power handling is 20-180 wts and sensitivity at 89db
The TC80i handling is up to 125 wts and sesitivity at 90db.

The Emotiva XPA-200 is $299 on sale now and the XPA-500 is $349 on sale now, page two of the Amplifier listing.

http://shop.emotiva.com/?page=2
post #3527 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvca View Post

The Emotiva XPA-200 is $299 on sale now and the XPA-500 is $349 on sale now, page two of the Amplifier listing.
http://shop.emotiva.com/?page=2

Wow. Sorry for my stupidity. I didnt even see the 2nd page. Will test the 818 when it gets here and if I need the 200, I will jump on that deal. Thanks alot
post #3528 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

XT32 for under $700? Whats not to like.

Show me anything ballbark to this sentence's awesomeness. I paid even more but received an enormous value of the lowest priced fully equipped XT32 4k receiver ever made. Still lovin mine and wouldn't trade the time I've had with it for the price difference. But you all are getting the steal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvca View Post

The Emotiva XPA-200 is $299 on sale now and the XPA-500 is $349 on sale now, page two of the Amplifier listing.
http://shop.emotiva.com/?page=2

The UPA-500 is 349...not the XPA-5

Edit: UPA-200@299 too. XPR my desire, XPA my possession, UPA there are cases where I see a fit but for the most part I'm not seeing it.
Edited by dstew100 - 12/18/12 at 10:25pm
post #3529 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds View Post

RE: the faceplate sticker:
I bought a "used" 818 from Amazon Warehouse Deals (not even going to mention what I paid because it was well lower than the current sale price) and even it had the faceplate sticker on it. I think the absence of the sticker is a red flag.

I also bought a "used" 818 from Amazon Warehouse Deals, it had all of the front panel stickers, but I ended up returning due to it missing the Audyssey Mic. I just received a "new" backordered 818 from B&H Photo and it didn't have any frontplate stickers other than a "Spotify Inside". Everything looks new here confused.gif
post #3530 of 9492
^^
Just a thought for next time ..... as Onkyo sells the mic for about $22, probably would have been much easier to just get Amazon to credit you that amount and just order it direct from Onkyo.
post #3531 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilR99 View Post

Thanks Patrick, but I think you measured the width of the cabinet. The spec is 17 1/8" wide and deep. I need the distance from the front right corner to the rear left corner (or the opposite diagonal since both will be the same).
According to the formula for computing the hypotenuse of a triangle, the measurement should be just slightly over 24". But the 17.125" specified depth probably includes the front panel knobs as well as anything sticking out of the back (binding posts and etc). I think the critical measurement is the hypotenuse of the cabinet itself although that's fuzzy. Every inch, or fraction, is critical here.

Oh, OK, it's 23 1/16. That's the metal case and faceplate only-no knobs or connectors.
post #3532 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwill22 View Post

Guys,
I am interested in this receiver and after reading this thread it inspired me to upgrade my system. So, I was reading the manual interested in the bi-amp option, but I notice that I am limited to just 5.2 surround and the pre out for the "Ext Amp" will be deactivated. Would I be able to use a External 2ch Amp for the other pre out for SB/FH/FW and bump it up to 7.2 surround?
Second question, would bi-amping my front speaker enhance my experience when watching a movie or would it be better for listening to music or is it a waste of my time? I know what bi-amping does for the front speakers, but I want someones personal opinion with this setup.
Thanks!


I have been trying to find out more information about bi-amping the front speakers while maintaining 7.1. I called Onkyo support and I was told that as long as I biamp the front speakers I will need to stay with 5.1. Is it true? Even if I have external amp powering the front speakers?

Thanks for any expert advice in advance!
post #3533 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Oh, OK, it's 23 1/16. That's the metal case and faceplate only-no knobs or connectors.

Thanks! That's a big inch :-). Last night I got a ship notice from Amazon (ordered it in the am). It's on the UPS truck. If I had known I was getting it today I would not have bothered anyone over this :-)
post #3534 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Show me anything ballbark to this sentence's awesomeness. I paid even more but received an enormous value of the lowest priced fully equipped XT32 4k receiver ever made. Still lovin mine and wouldn't trade the time I've had with it for the price difference. But you all are getting the steal.
The UPA-500 is 349...not the XPA-5
Edit: UPA-200@299 too. XPR my desire, XPA my possession, UPA there are cases where I see a fit but for the most part I'm not seeing it.

Sorry, my error.
post #3535 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilR99 View Post

My problem is that my setup is in a very old built in cabinet that cannot be easily changed. The cabinet is exactly 25.25" wide. Ans 25.25" deep (perfectly square). My concern is if the cabinet is wide enough to turn the 818 sideways to do the cabling.

I know its not cheap, but my solution was to install a Middle Atlantic REB series sliding/rotating shelf. Swapping receivers yesterday was an absolute breeze!
post #3536 of 9492
Hello, I just got the 818 since BF deal... It replaced a very old Onkyo which has lasted me for 10+ years. (TXDS-787) I was happy with it but wanted the xt-32 mostly and hdmi switching. I couldn't pass up the price when deciding between this and the 4311. I have a Parasound 2205AT amp (220wpc x 5) driving everything in a 5.1 system. Studio 40 v2 speakers, center, and Servo 15 sub.... In ceiling surrounds, but oh well.

Anyway, I've lost a lot of spl's. Where did the volume go? I will try and do the calibration again, maybe in a tighter position but I doubt that ill fix things. Also Audyssey calibrated the fronts and center to 40! Seriously, Studio 40 speakers? I'm a bit confused. I did however change them back to 80 all around (btw the rears were set to 50)

After about a week, I couldn't take it anymore soI upped the levels a bit on some speakers. Of course I'll have to redo the calibration but it sounds slightly better now. The bass was almost non-existant. I've known that the right bass is supposed to be lower than what we're used to, but damn.... I was missing it.

Could the Audyssey settings at 40 be that something is wrong? The distances seemed OK. Plus I did not find where the speakers say "Large or Small".

Other than that, the sound IS "tighter" or "cleaner" to me. I'm having a hard time with sound settings though, in terms of PLII Music, movies..etc... Music sounded better to me because of the aforementioned spl levels and bass.
post #3537 of 9492
I love my 818 for movies, I think the Multeq xt32 does a great job with imaging and sound stage for home theater, but I'm not that impressed with its 2 channel music performance. For some reason it sounds thin and grainy in pure direct mode, compared to my Yamaha rx-a2010 which sounds warm, full and more detailed.

What do you guys think of the two channel sound?
post #3538 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by cissado View Post

Hello, I just got the 818 since BF deal... It replaced a very old Onkyo which has lasted me for 10+ years. (TXDS-787) I was happy with it but wanted the xt-32 mostly and hdmi switching. I couldn't pass up the price when deciding between this and the 4311. I have a Parasound 2205AT amp (220wpc x 5) driving everything in a 5.1 system. Studio 40 v2 speakers, center, and Servo 15 sub.... In ceiling surrounds, but oh well.

Anyway, I've lost a lot of spl's. Where did the volume go? I will try and do the calibration again, maybe in a tighter position but I doubt that ill fix things. Also Audyssey calibrated the fronts and center to 40! Seriously, Studio 40 speakers? I'm a bit confused. I did however change them back to 80 all around (btw the rears were set to 50)

After about a week, I couldn't take it anymore soI upped the levels a bit on some speakers. Of course I'll have to redo the calibration but it sounds slightly better now. The bass was almost non-existant. I've known that the right bass is supposed to be lower than what we're used to, but damn.... I was missing it.

Could the Audyssey settings at 40 be that something is wrong? The distances seemed OK. Plus I did not find where the speakers say "Large or Small".

Other than that, the sound IS "tighter" or "cleaner" to me. I'm having a hard time with sound settings though, in terms of PLII Music, movies..etc... Music sounded better to me because of the aforementioned spl levels and bass.

 

If you take this over to the Official Audyssey Thread, I can give you some pointers that might help. It's OT here.

post #3539 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam James View Post

I love my 818 for movies, I think the Multeq xt32 does a great job with imaging and sound stage for home theater, but I'm not that impressed with its 2 channel music performance. For some reason it sounds thin and grainy in pure direct mode, compared to my Yamaha rx-a2010 which sounds warm, full and more detailed.
What do you guys think of the two channel sound?

Try using 'Stereo'.
post #3540 of 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Try using 'Stereo'.

I have, and it sounds better, just wondering why pure direct sounds so bad on the Onkyo compared to the Yamaha.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion