or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 205

post #6121 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0nos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

Ahh... I didn't understand it was a VGA stress test pattern smile.gif

Looks like AIDA64 is PC only... I tossed together this quick and dirty HTML page that should run anywhere with a browser. Does this look like a proper test?

http://www.aaarpinball.com/Miscellaneous/bluered.htm

If so, I'll try it out later tonight. I'm not near the TX-NR818...

Update (25 minutes later)... went downstairs to try it out and it looks good going through my 818... Interested to hear how it looks going through your 818...

Looks the same mad.gif

DIRECT


ONKYO

Sorry to hear/see that.

It looks worse on the top of the "bad" picture... is that just the picture or ???

Probably worth a call to Onkyo or a post on their support forum. Honestly I'd call them first. Not sure how much help either approach will be, but it seems that 75% of the posts to their forum just result in a boilerplate message to call them.
post #6122 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Sweet smile.gif I think I'll set it up faster than I thought... So really the receiver presents itself as a DLNA media renderer right? So any app or software that is a DLNA controller can simply stream stuff to it I guess?

Exactly. In my case, use Logitech Media Server (squeezebox server) as the "DMS" and the 818 as the DMR. I've also tried MediaMonkey as my DMS without problems, but LMS runs 24/7 on my WHS server.
post #6123 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

Sorry Robert, I was referring to the 818's media browsing in general being slow (and clunky). It would be great if a remote app could provide a nice media browser/player interface that could add/delete songs to the playlist/cue on the fly.
Yes, if you start oRemote and select DLNA, it will turn on the AVR and start playing where you left off. For example, I just opened oRemote and selected DLNA. The AVR powered up and the Pandora station I had previously been listening to started playing.

There's a faster way to view the data, butI am having some issues with it because Onkyo apparently does not take my SW design into consideration smile.gif . 2012 models will send XML lists of data and thi gives you a scrolling iOS-type list of items in the current "folder". It's quite fast and resolves a lot of griped about speed. 515, 616, 717, 818, 1010, 3010, and 5010 only though.
post #6124 of 9471
I've been looking at the 818 and the 616. In addition to sound quality, one of the most important features for me in choosing my next receiver is video upscaling. I'm looking for a receiver that can do not just analog but also digital upscaling to 1080p (and 4k for down the road) and it's my understanding that both of these do that.

I have DirecTV and right now on my new tv the SD channels (like Sundance - especially miniseries "Top of the Lake") look just awful - not to mention a lot of the 'HD' channels are 720p, 1080i, etc. Just how much of a difference in picture quality do you see by running the DirecTV receiver through the Onkyo's video upscaler? Is it very noticeable? And if this is a feature that means a lot to me, are the Onkyo's the best ones out there in this price range?

I would VERY much appreciate any help/guidance that anyone can provide!!!!!

Much TIA!
post #6125 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

I tested output with my PC and AV. If when playing a DTS movie through SPDIF (and playing a song with a separate program) once i pause the movie, the AV switches over to whatever output codec to play the music. If the stored preset for stereo is a multi channel output, no click is heard. Once I resume the movie, it will switch again to DTS. Removing the music out of the equation, the AV stays on DTS during pause/resume.

Thx for testing this m8. What happenes if u stop all Media players. Or better yet - if u turn the pc completly off? Some soundcards i Think keep the stream open (a silent stream) And others like mine stop when pausing. It would be nice however if the reciver dosnt default to 2 channel (PLII, stereo ect) unless it actually gets such a signal.

Does it still say DTS if u play a movie stop it and shut Down the pc?
post #6126 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0nos View Post

Looks the same mad.gif

DIRECT


ONKYO

It looks like there must be some video processing or scaling going on? Try setting Picture Mode to DIRECT and Resolution to THROUGH, and see how that works.
post #6127 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post

Look at the used offers on Amazon, Onecall is selling it Open Box for $699 and is an authorized dealer
Found

Found a brand new one in unopened box for $778, but you have to shop!
post #6128 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post

Thx for testing this m8. What happenes if u stop all Media players. Or better yet - if u turn the pc completly off? Some soundcards i Think keep the stream open (a silent stream) And others like mine stop when pausing. It would be nice however if the reciver dosnt default to 2 channel (PLII, stereo ect) unless it actually gets such a signal.

Does it still say DTS if u play a movie stop it and shut Down the pc?
No problem.
Ran the test you said. PC shutdown completely, the AV switched to whatever the default output was for PCM 2.0 which at the time was Stereo. During the switch I did hear a click from DD to Stereo. I then changed the default PCM 2.0 output to PLII Music. Now switching from DD and vice-versa resulted in no clicks.
If you want to avoid clicking, apart from AV startup and shutdown, I suggest you set all default outputs to a multi channel setting. All Ch Stereo, PLII or Neo.
post #6129 of 9471
Hi 818 owners,

For those owners coming from older onkyo models (like the 08s and 09s), can you hear the difference in their SQs? I think the older models have a warmer sound than this.mad.gif I am using Dolby volume instead of Dynamic EQ. I already run audyssey xt32 and it changed the low frequencies to a more controlled and refined sound (more like the sound you hear in theaters) and i like it. smile.gif But the higher frequencies seemed to be a little bright compared to my older 08 version. Is this really the character of 818, or am I missing something in my configuration? Or does 818 needs a little break-in to achieve the warmth of my older version onkyos. rolleyes.gif
post #6130 of 9471
Hi guys,

I am setting up this receiver now, with a set of 10.5 Wharfedale fronts. The speakers have a mid to low crossover on 600Hz. (3 way speakers, butI guess the high-mid crossover is irrelevant for the question).

So basically.. where would you set the digital crossover for biamping? The receiver has options at 500hz and 630Hz. So no perfect match. Which one would you choose? In any of them would you do a "overlap", with 1/3 of octave up and down?

I was considerng to use 500Hz with overlap, meaning 666 Hz (+166hz one third octave) for the low end and 416Hhz (-83Hz one third octave) for the mid. - Or would it be better to have just 630Hz and "lose" the range between 630 and 600 in the mid?

thanks for your advice!
post #6131 of 9471
Hi again,

In addition to my queries, it is stated in our 818 manual that we can tinker with the equalizer setting (screenshot below copied from manual). Will the audyssey be disabled if I will turn on the Manual equalizer? Or will Manual equalizer enhance/edit the existing calculation of audyssey?

Equalizer Settings
With the Equalizer settings, you can adjust the tone of
speakers individually with a 7-band equalizer. The volume
of each speaker can be set (➔ page 61).
■Manual Equalizer
􀁠On:
You can adjust the equalizer for each speaker
manually. Continue with the following procedure:
post #6132 of 9471
Please ignore my last query. post 6133. This only reveal how impatient and dumb, I am. biggrin.gif
post #6133 of 9471
I got my 818 yesterday. Massive box... I hope I'll have enough time to unpack it, connect it and set it up during the weekend. In the mean time, I'm browsing the manual and thinking about the set up.

I have one question regarding headphones, although I think I already know the answer. I'm just making sure I'm not forgetting anything that could be useful. So I have those Senheiser wireless headphones; basically it's a base with a transmitter and a charger that has a line level input, and a headset that is just meant to be grabbed from the base and turned on to enjoy. Obviously it would be great if the only thing I have to do to use those headphones was to grab the headset and maybe turn off the speakers using the remote.

But it seems this is pretty much impossible on all AVRs out there. The line level input is typically connected to a headphone jack meant to be used with the headphone output of the receiver. Using this output mutes the speakers at all times, so it's not possible to keep the headphone base plugged in at all times. One could use an analog output, such as the FR/FL pre outs. But this would imply actively switching to stereo mode when listening to multi-channel content.

I realize that plugging the headphones in the headphone jack basically does the same (the 818 automatically switches to stereo mode as far as I can tell -- there doesn't seem to be a "surround headphones" mode), but it would be easy to forget and it could be a while before realizing you're only listening to 2 of 6 channels.

One could also use the Zone 2 or 3 pre outs. This possibility was exciting at first, since it could mean listening to music through the headphones while someone else watches the TV. But 1) it's not clear to me whether the Main Zone and Zone 2 can play the same content at the same time; and 2) the point is largely moot since Zones 2 and 3 cannot play audio sources from digital inputs, so it would be useless for listening to TV or any content from a media player connected through HDMI (AppleTV, console, etc.).

So it seems that manually plugging and unplugging the headphone base from the front headphone jack is basically the only way to use the headphones. Am I more or less right? Thanks for any additional info.
post #6134 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalineblue View Post

Hi 818 owners,

For those owners coming from older onkyo models (like the 08s and 09s), can you hear the difference in their SQs? I think the older models have a warmer sound than this.mad.gif I am using Dolby volume instead of Dynamic EQ. I already run audyssey xt32 and it changed the low frequencies to a more controlled and refined sound (more like the sound you hear in theaters) and i like it. smile.gif But the higher frequencies seemed to be a little bright compared to my older 08 version. Is this really the character of 818, or am I missing something in my configuration? Or does 818 needs a little break-in to achieve the warmth of my older version onkyos. rolleyes.gif

I noticed this coming from an RC180 (NR807) to the 818. For me, it was an improvement, as my Energy RC-70 speakers were a bit too laid back for my taste. I thought XT32 did a much better job than MultiQ in "correcting" this. You can select the audyssey movie curve to roll off the highs a bit, or bump the trebel down a few dbs to compensate, or let your ears break in to the new sound.
post #6135 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

For me, it was an improvement, as my Energy RC-70 speakers were a bit too laid back for my taste. I thought XT32 did a much better job than MultiQ in "correcting" this.

Incidentally I'm also an RC-70 owner (in case you haven't noticed the avatar) and I also find the sound too laid back for some content (I'd like my electric guitars a bit more aggressive sometimes). Pretty excited to try it out now.
post #6136 of 9471
hello 818 owners smile.gif

i currently own a 616 and i am thinking doing an upgrade(actually my AV is already on sale) . In the moment i have a 5.1 System with KEFs: LS50s (fronts), R200C(center) and the 3005s as rears.
My choices were Onkyo 3009 or Yamaha 3010. Recently i read about the 818 and there are mostly positive reviews which made me thinking.

I am thinking buying an Oppo 105 aswell and using it as a DAC for the future 818. With one installation like this, i think i have better results than the yamaha 3010 or Onkyo 3009/3010 even 5010.
Do you think it is a good idea? Does someone have experience with the Oppo 105 or the LS50s from KEF?
Thanks for any tipps smile.gif
post #6137 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

It looks like there must be some video processing or scaling going on? Try setting Picture Mode to DIRECT and Resolution to THROUGH, and see how that works.

already done that

it also happens using SUB out where there is no processing at all

EDIT:

It's the "auto adjust" that is faulty because it's missing some pixels to the left of the screen

Resolution 1920x1080 but i use AIDA64 Monitor Diagnostics and on "Screen Size" test the count starts at pixel 10 where it should be 0.
post #6138 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

I noticed this coming from an RC180 (NR807) to the 818. For me, it was an improvement, as my Energy RC-70 speakers were a bit too laid back for my taste. I thought XT32 did a much better job than MultiQ in "correcting" this. You can select the audyssey movie curve to roll off the highs a bit, or bump the trebel down a few dbs to compensate, or let your ears break in to the new sound.

Hi GoatLocker,

I tried tinkering last night and i noticed Dynamic EQ with disabled Dynamic volume is better than Dolby Volume, at least for my taste. I also notice that some sources are bright while some are just pleasing to my ears. I only done 3 point audyssey xt32, I'll try 8 points later, maybe this would lessen the brightness a bit.

And this is the funny part, I tried tinkering with the treble to lessen the brightness of a DVD source (Spartacus), I went as far as -10, then -8 and -6 for about 10 minutes and decided to go back to 0. After that, I felt its audio is better now. It's a matter for adjusting one's ears. tongue.gif

We sometimes get preoccupied by getting the best audio from our AV and forget to enjoy the movie! biggrin.gif
post #6139 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0nos View Post


it also happens using SUB out where there is no processing at all

EDIT:

It's the "auto adjust" that is faulty because it's missing some pixels to the left of the screen

Resolution 1920x1080 but i use AIDA64 Monitor Diagnostics and on "Screen Size" test the count starts at pixel 10 where it should be 0.
It may well be a bug in Onkyo's transcoding from VGA to HDMI. Can you just replace the video card, or is this a laptop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalineblue View Post


We sometimes get preoccupied by getting the best audio from our AV and forget to enjoy the movie! biggrin.gif

Isn't that the truth!
post #6140 of 9471
If I power my Fronts (left center right) with an Emotiva XPA-3 (3 channel power amp) using Onkyo 818, can I redirect the internal amp(for the fronts) of 818 that will be left unused to power the front wides? Is this possible? Hope to hear from the 818 gurus here. Thanks!
post #6141 of 9471
By the way, I am already using the surround back(left right) and surround side(left right) for the 7.1 setup and would want to venture in 9.1 for the additional front wides...
post #6142 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxx007 View Post

By the way, I am already using the surround back(left right) and surround side(left right) for the 7.1 setup and would want to venture in 9.1 for the additional front wides...

per page 14 of the owner's manual, no. you must add an external amp for 9.1, but you cannot take the place of the LCR front channels. you can only assign SB/FH/FW with external amp.

By adding an external amplifier to the 7.1-channel
configuration shown on the left, you can enjoy 9.1-channel
playback.
Connect your power amplifier’s analog audio input jacks to
the AV receiver’s SB/FH/FW EXT AMP*1 jacks with
audio cables. To use the SB/FH/FW EXT AMP jacks, you
must specify their channel with the “Preout to External
Amplifier” setting (➔ page 59).
You can set which speakers you want to use by priority.
See “Selecting Speaker Layout” (➔ page 49).
*1 SB···Surround Back, FH···Front High, FW···Front Wide


you can, of course, still use the 3 channel amp for LCR, but i interpret that you still need another amp for the wides.
post #6143 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post

per page 14 of the owner's manual, no. you must add an external amp for 9.1, but you cannot take the place of the LCR front channels. you can only assign SB/FH/FW with external amp.

By adding an external amplifier to the 7.1-channel
configuration shown on the left, you can enjoy 9.1-channel
playback.
Connect your power amplifier’s analog audio input jacks to
the AV receiver’s SB/FH/FW EXT AMP*1 jacks with
audio cables. To use the SB/FH/FW EXT AMP jacks, you
must specify their channel with the “Preout to External
Amplifier” setting (➔ page 59).
You can set which speakers you want to use by priority.
See “Selecting Speaker Layout” (➔ page 49).
*1 SB···Surround Back, FH···Front High, FW···Front Wide


you can, of course, still use the 3 channel amp for LCR, but i interpret that you still need another amp for the wides.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will just power then the front wides and center using XPA3 to be able to utilize 9.1. smile.gif
post #6144 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

No problem.
Ran the test you said. PC shutdown completely, the AV switched to whatever the default output was for PCM 2.0 which at the time was Stereo. During the switch I did hear a click from DD to Stereo. I then changed the default PCM 2.0 output to PLII Music. Now switching from DD and vice-versa resulted in no clicks.
If you want to avoid clicking, apart from AV startup and shutdown, I suggest you set all default outputs to a multi channel setting. All Ch Stereo, PLII or Neo.

Thx m8 for this. Well it behaves as i would exspect which is fine since the the way u descripe is how i was planning to set it up. Can i ask what soundcard u have installed in ur PC? I was thinking of buying an Asus xonar card and run the dvi output from my Nvidia card though it to get a proper signal that is better optimized for connecting a receiver to a pc.
post #6145 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post

Thx m8 for this. Well it behaves as i would exspect which is fine since the the way u descripe is how i was planning to set it up. Can i ask what soundcard u have installed in ur PC? I was thinking of buying an Asus xonar card and run the dvi output from my Nvidia card though it to get a proper signal that is better optimized for connecting a receiver to a pc.
No problem at all.
The card I use now is the ASUS Xonar DG. Using my onboard GPU through DVI, no issues.
post #6146 of 9471
I purchased the open box from One Call. Absolutely in perfect shape. Box did not seem opened. Latest firmware already updated. FULL manufacturer's warranty. All for $699. Unbeatable deal.
post #6147 of 9471
Looking to purchase this receiver. Any advice on a "like new-open box" or "factory refurbished" model? Both are authorized sellers and the price is the same.
Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif
post #6148 of 9471
I highly recommend OneCall and their "Open Box" that looks surprisingly brand new.
I purchased an Open Box 3010 and couldn't be happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcelov View Post

Looking to purchase this receiver. Any advice on a "like new-open box" or "factory refurbished" model? Both are authorized sellers and the price is the same.
Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif
post #6149 of 9471
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Until the next version of HDMI is defined (which will require new HW in everything) it doesn't make sense to go 4K.
It's not so much that, it's the scaler in the 818 can't really support 4K, because it can only scale to 4K at 24, 25 and 30. It can't scale to 4K60... So it can't scale 1080p60, or 720p60, or 1080i, for example.
post #6150 of 9471
Guys,
Coming off a bad 807 experience...Received a Refurb. 818 from Onkyo, as a replacement, and I can tell you, after 2 days of listening...(before and after audyssey) The 818 is a markedly better receiver. Both in terms of sound quality, and ease of use.
I am still getting used to a few things, but my fears have been eased a bit. If this unit holds up, I can see myself using it for a long while. without the need for an upgrade. (As it SHOULD be, for what we paid for our 807's!)

Switching is better. the 807 had to have a monoprice HDMI switch/booster, in the mix to get a signal to my PLANAR projector. Now, I am running direct from the 818 to the display. (I do get some handshake snowy screens before it locks, but it locks on it's own.)
It is a bit brighter with my Paradigm Focus', but it does seem to bring better "life" out of them.
Previewed a bit of Star Trek (2009) (A movie I know) and I can say that there are things in the playback, that I never noticed.

There is better separation in the height channel. Before it was more of a "fill", now It is an enhancement.

Right now, I am listening to "Eagles: Hell Freezes Over" via the DLNA app on the NET feature, . (Which is amazingly better....One screen, where you pick your NET choice...Spotify, Pandora, LastFM etc...instead of the scrolling menu the 807 has..."Return...Return...Return" anyone?) Lack of continuous playback on live music is definitely noticeable...and more than a little annoying.

I haven't noticed much difference in the Music Optimizer, for streaming MP3 audio...(radio stations for me, my rips are lossless). To me, the optimizer was noticeble on my 807.


I have a few things I am working through.
1. My CD/DVD player (Component/Optical), shows up as 4:3, even though I have it set to 16:9...and when I select "progressive scan" I get a double image with a squiggly line separating them.
2. My Server, with a Sapphire HD 5450 installed, does not display. If I dial in via TightVNC, I show the 818 in the AMD console, but I am getting no signal to my projector. UPDATE: I was able to get a display by switching my AMD dashboard to output 1080i/30 to the 818. (prior to this, I was sending a 720p/60 signal, as my Planar is a 720 projector.)
I also hooked up a portsaver, and the AMD dashboard only recognized PC resolutions, and the display would not come up, I removed it.
Later, I played some Xbox, and when I switched back to the Server input, there was no signal again...played around with the AMD console again, and produced a signal.



Hopefully they are setup issues, and not a signal that I have another problem child.
Edited by kevin g. - 4/12/13 at 4:54am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion