or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 209

post #6241 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post

The Denon is a 3312. PC resolution is 1920x1080. If I have scaling turned on I have tried all output resolutions with no different outcome. I believe that the Denon is "causing" the text issue, but I also believe it is defective due to the video dropping completely on ALL inputs and from ANY source whenever scaling is enabled and then disabled & vice versa. Which is the main reason I am returning it, not the text issue. Thanks for your help. smile.gif

Edit: I just found another issue. With scaling/processing disabled on the receiver, I completely lose video when pressing the menu button. So I cannot make any changes to any receiver settings whatsoever without losing video. Anyway... this isn't the Denon thread so I'll leave it at that.

FWIW:

I have a Denon 991 (a slightly stripped down 3311). I have an Oppo, Boxee Box and Windows 7 PC routed through it to a rather old Philips LCD set.

It shows none of the problems you are showing with your setup. Text is perfectly razor-sharp off of the PC and no artifacts at all.
post #6242 of 9532
I got myself a new 818 and Im surprised that I had to put the volume up to as high as 70, my previous amp was a 606 and I dont usually go above 50. Is this normal or I got a lemon unit? Please help
post #6243 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

I got myself a new 818 and Im surprised that I had to put the volume up to as high as 70, my previous amp was a 606 and I dont usually go above 50. Is this normal or I got a lemon unit? Please help

Go into the receiver's settings and set the volume settings to relative (THX). This shows the dB output. While it won't make the receiver any more or less loud, I find it a lot more useful than the 0-100 scale.

My old Yamaha would be useless cranking it above 35-40% - waaay too loud. The Onkyo in comparison has most of the usable listening range spread across the volume knob's range. Either that, or I don't crank it very loud.
post #6244 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Go into the receiver's settings and set the volume settings to relative (THX). This shows the dB output. While it won't make the receiver any more or less loud, I find it a lot more useful than the 0-100 scale.

My old Yamaha would be useless cranking it above 35-40% - waaay too loud. The Onkyo in comparison has most of the usable listening range spread across the volume knob's range. Either that, or I don't crank it very loud.

So what Im experiencing is just normal?
post #6245 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

So what Im experiencing is just normal?

From my experience, yes. You do have to crank them a bit more. But what I was trying to say - on my old Yamaha receiver, everything above 60% was pretty much unusable (excessively loud) I never turned it up over 40%. I have an Onkyo TX-NR507, HT-RC180, TX-NR708, TX-NR609, TX-NR818, and CR-N755. All are pretty much the same (a lot of turn) as far as the volume control goes. Most of them go from something like -81dBm to +10dBm or +18dBm depending on the model.

So reference (0 dBm) will be 82 on your dial.

The 0-100 scales to this range - generally subtract 82 from the volume to get the dBm or just set it to display dBm in the AVR's settings..
post #6246 of 9532
I'm not getting any sound from 818. I got it on Wednesday and things were going fine. Today I decided to use the 818's preouts and now I don't get any sound, both with preouts and the unit's internal amps. Is there a setting I'm missing here? The 818's cover also feels quite warm, and I also noticed a number 22 in a small box on the unit's display. I unplugged it to be safe.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?
post #6247 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

My setup will be a Panasonic ST50 HDTV and a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685 speakers.



I agre with the other poster to look into 2 channel amps. It's what they are designed specifically to do. Good place to start is here:

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Amplifier&source=globalnav

As far as 809 vs 818, can you wait? The 818 has consistently went down in price over the last couple weeks. I know because I just bought mine last wk.. AVS has a thread following the price. It's here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418870/onkyo-tx-nr818-949-88

If you're looking to expand your system I'd definitely go 818. The MultiEQ XT32 is a huge advantage.
Edited by migraine24-7 - 4/19/13 at 1:36am
post #6248 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I agre with the other poster to look into 2 channel amps. It's what they are designed specifically to do. Good place to start is here:

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Amplifier&source=globalnav

As far as 809 vs 818, can you wait? The 818 has consistently went down in price over the last couple weeks. I know because I just bought mine last wk.. AVS has a thread following the price. It's here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418870/onkyo-tx-nr818-949-88

If you're looking to expand your system I'd definitely go 818. The MultiEQ XT32 is a huge advantage.

What do you think of the Harman Kardon HK 3490?
post #6249 of 9532
Just purchased this receiver a month ago, updated with latest firmware via usb.

I have a problem which i can't solve, when i connect a pc (tried different pc's) or any other device via any of the hdmi inputs and output it to hdmi main to a monitor or projector the screen jumps about 1cm to the left, mostly by displaying video in fullscreen mode, until i switch to another input and switch back.

The hdmi-sub output doesn't have this issue, what could it be? tried all kind of settings, tried different good quality hdmi cables.
Even when i turn off the receiver (standby) the problem occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by Megapearl - 4/22/13 at 7:08am
post #6250 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

What do you think of the Harman Kardon HK 3490?

Sorry but I don't know anything about that receiver.
post #6251 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Sorry but I don't know anything about that receiver.

It's a 2-channel receiver but a bit pricey. Supposedly they used to be cheaper and this has been out for a while now so I'm surprised the price is still so high.
post #6252 of 9532
I currently have an Onkyo 3007 that has always worked perfectly.

However, I would like to upgrade to a receiver that has Audyssey XT 32.

There seems to be some great prices on the ONKYO TX-NR818 now.

My questions is...would replacing my 3007 be an upgrade or a downgrade with respect
to sound quality?

I don't want to sacrifice quality just to get XT 32.

Thanks in advance.

Pilot20
post #6253 of 9532
Hi 818 owners,

Can anyone teach me how to stream FLAC? smile.gif Do I need another app aside from my windows media player version 12?

Thanks.
post #6254 of 9532
Last night I received my 818 that I ordered from Amazon's Warehouse Deals and it arrived in the original box in perfect condition. I had a scare at first where it wasn't detecting my sub and left surround during calibration but after stopping calibration and starting it again and rechecking the plugs (everything was plugged in fine), it detected everything the second time and I was able to get through calibration. Everything sounds fantastic. I'm really impressed with XT32 as well as the video processing. My previous receiver is a VSX-1121-K which sounded fantastic but the 818 is a step above in every way. After comparing Advanced MCACC to Audyssey I think Advanced MCACC calibrates very close to what XT32 does minus the low end sub calibration. The detail and crispness of sound is neck and neck between the two, however, Audyssey's processing with DynamicEQ is much more enveloping to me. DynamicEQ just makes the surrounds come to life at any volume and combining that with the calibration to the sub frequencies makes it feel like I'm really at the movies.

Prior to the VSX-1121-K I had a Denon 2311 which was just as enveloping with a great low end just as the 818 (due to MultiEQ and DynamicEQ) but lacked the extra detail and crispness that the VSX-1121-K or the 818 have. Now with the 818, I feel like I have it all, great video processing, sub frequencies calibrated, along with detail and crispness of sound.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Does anyone know if the 818 can save and restore Audyssey Calibration? I just want to retest performing calibration and make sure that my speakers are consistently detected while I'm inside my 30 day return window.
post #6255 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalineblue View Post

Hi 818 owners,

Can anyone teach me how to stream FLAC? smile.gif Do I need another app aside from my windows media player version 12?

Thanks.

All you need is a media player/server that supports both DLNA and FLAC. I use Logitech Media Server, a free program that is designed to support Squeezebox hardware, but also works great with DLNA renderers like the 818. I have also used Media Monkey Gold, which is great for managing and organizing your collection, but also supports DLNA. There are many others, free and $$$.
post #6256 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

All you need is a media player/server that supports both DLNA and FLAC. I use Logitech Media Server, a free program that is designed to support Squeezebox hardware, but also works great with DLNA renderers like the 818. I have also used Media Monkey Gold, which is great for managing and organizing your collection, but also supports DLNA. There are many others, free and $$$.

Or turn on your media player sharing in WMP12, fire up the DLNA app on the 818, and enjoy...
post #6257 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgminder View Post

Last night I received my 818 that I ordered from Amazon's Warehouse Deals and it arrived in the original box in perfect condition. I had a scare at first where it wasn't detecting my sub and left surround during calibration but after stopping calibration and starting it again and rechecking the plugs (everything was plugged in fine), it detected everything the second time and I was able to get through calibration. Everything sounds fantastic. I'm really impressed with XT32 as well as the video processing. My previous receiver is a VSX-1121-K which sounded fantastic but the 818 is a step above in every way. After comparing Advanced MCACC to Audyssey I think Advanced MCACC calibrates very close to what XT32 does minus the low end sub calibration. The detail and crispness of sound is neck and neck between the two, however, Audyssey's processing with DynamicEQ is much more enveloping to me. DynamicEQ just makes the surrounds come to life at any volume and combining that with the calibration to the sub frequencies makes it feel like I'm really at the movies.

Prior to the VSX-1121-K I had a Denon 2311 which was just as enveloping with a great low end just as the 818 (due to MultiEQ and DynamicEQ) but lacked the extra detail and crispness that the VSX-1121-K or the 818 have. Now with the 818, I feel like I have it all, great video processing, sub frequencies calibrated, along with detail and crispness of sound.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Does anyone know if the 818 can save and restore Audyssey Calibration? I just want to retest performing calibration and make sure that my speakers are consistently detected while I'm inside my 30 day return window.

Awesome that your 818 came in its original box from Amazon Warehouse Deals. It's a hit and miss when you buy from them because one person on here got theirs and it was all beat up since it wasn't in its original box and was just repackaged without proper protection. You got really lucky. I'm on the fence about buying this receiver from Amazon Warehouse deals.
post #6258 of 9532
My experience has been very favorable. I use an Emotiva XPA 5 channel amp and the Onkyo as a processor. The Onkyo replaced a Denon 2808CI. I experienced quite a noticeable improvement in sound. Was this because of the processing capability of the Onkyo or was it due to the Audessey XT 32 vs. the Denon? I imagine it was due to the improved Audessey XT 32. I upgraded not because of dissatisfaction with the Denon, but because I needed more HDMI inputs. I decided to go with this model because of the Audessey 32.

I am also enjoying listening to CD's in all channel stereo mode. I used to dismiss most modes as gimmicks and would listen to music in Pure Direct mode. The purists might not agree, but I know what sounds good to me. Bringing new life to all my CD's.

I cannot comment of the difference between the two amp sections since I'm using a separate amp, but I would doubt there would be any discernable difference between the two as far as power is concerned
post #6259 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by larlane View Post

My experience has been very favorable. I use an Emotiva XPA 5 channel amp and the Onkyo as a processor. The Onkyo replaced a Denon 2808CI. I experienced quite a noticeable improvement in sound. Was this because of the processing capability of the Onkyo or was it due to the Audessey XT 32 vs. the Denon? I imagine it was due to the improved Audessey XT 32. I upgraded not because of dissatisfaction with the Denon, but because I needed more HDMI inputs. I decided to go with this model because of the Audessey 32.

I am also enjoying listening to CD's in all channel stereo mode. I used to dismiss most modes as gimmicks and would listen to music in Pure Direct mode. The purists might not agree, but I know what sounds good to me. Bringing new life to all my CD's.

I cannot comment of the difference between the two amp sections since I'm using a separate amp, but I would doubt there would be any discernable difference between the two as far as power is concerned

Isn't using an amp on something like the Onkyo 818 overkill, or does it actually make it sound better?
Edited by RomanBlade86 - 4/19/13 at 10:59am
post #6260 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgminder View Post

Last night I received my 818 that I ordered from Amazon's Warehouse Deals and it arrived in the original box in perfect condition. I had a scare at first where it wasn't detecting my sub and left surround during calibration but after stopping calibration and starting it again and rechecking the plugs (everything was plugged in fine), it detected everything the second time and I was able to get through calibration. Everything sounds fantastic. I'm really impressed with XT32 as well as the video processing. My previous receiver is a VSX-1121-K which sounded fantastic but the 818 is a step above in every way. After comparing Advanced MCACC to Audyssey I think Advanced MCACC calibrates very close to what XT32 does minus the low end sub calibration. The detail and crispness of sound is neck and neck between the two, however, Audyssey's processing with DynamicEQ is much more enveloping to me. DynamicEQ just makes the surrounds come to life at any volume and combining that with the calibration to the sub frequencies makes it feel like I'm really at the movies.

Prior to the VSX-1121-K I had a Denon 2311 which was just as enveloping with a great low end just as the 818 (due to MultiEQ and DynamicEQ) but lacked the extra detail and crispness that the VSX-1121-K or the 818 have. Now with the 818, I feel like I have it all, great video processing, sub frequencies calibrated, along with detail and crispness of sound.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Does anyone know if the 818 can save and restore Audyssey Calibration? I just want to retest performing calibration and make sure that my speakers are consistently detected while I'm inside my 30 day return window.

From the Audyssey thread FAQ;

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#user_a6
post #6261 of 9532
I have a question about dual displays...
I have this installed in my main theater. Audio to display is off. I have an HDMI cable running to my projector, which is about 89% of it's use. I also have the SUB out connected to my bedroom display upstairs. When I turn on the audio, to allow the bedroom set's speakers to play, the audio shuts off in the main room.
Is there no way to run audio to both? I have been pouring through the thread, (on pg 16, now) and the manual...and have not found the option yet...
post #6262 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgminder View Post

Last night I received my 818 that I ordered from Amazon's Warehouse Deals and it arrived in the original box in perfect condition. I had a scare at first where it wasn't detecting my sub and left surround during calibration but after stopping calibration and starting it again and rechecking the plugs (everything was plugged in fine), it detected everything the second time and I was able to get through calibration. Everything sounds fantastic. I'm really impressed with XT32 as well as the video processing. My previous receiver is a VSX-1121-K which sounded fantastic but the 818 is a step above in every way. After comparing Advanced MCACC to Audyssey I think Advanced MCACC calibrates very close to what XT32 does minus the low end sub calibration. The detail and crispness of sound is neck and neck between the two, however, Audyssey's processing with DynamicEQ is much more enveloping to me. DynamicEQ just makes the surrounds come to life at any volume and combining that with the calibration to the sub frequencies makes it feel like I'm really at the movies.

I received mine 818 yesterday too and i have startet to test some things. I agree with you in feeling the Onkyo TX-NR818 has little bit more details and a little bit of more movie feeling... it sounds more dynamic... The Denon sounds more "flat" by music. I think the XT32 Audyssey is better then the XT from the Denon.... On the Onkyo we can't check the speaker EQ settings which Audyssey measured... this is only at the Denon mad.gif I have ordered the Pioneer SC-2022 because i want to test the digital amps of it and i want to test Advanced ACC. From your oppinion i think the Onkyo should be the better device but i will test Pioneer too. One of the devices will go back to the dealer.... wink.gif
post #6263 of 9532
I just got this reviever and im faily happy with it.

I noticed however when i ran audyssey setup that the reciever clicked everytime it made the test tone. - one click about the same time as the test tone begins at each speaker- also the sub which is an active sub with its own receiver. the click must have been recorded by the mike so it donst seem very smart. can any1 conform this is the normal behaviur?

kind regards
post #6264 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

From the Audyssey thread FAQ;

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#user_a6

Thanks a lot! I'll try this out when I get home.
post #6265 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post

I just got this reviever and im faily happy with it.

I noticed however when i ran audyssey setup that the reciever clicked everytime it made the test tone. - one click about the same time as the test tone begins at each speaker- also the sub which is an active sub with its own receiver. the click must have been recorded by the mike so it donst seem very smart. can any1 conform this is the normal behaviur?

kind regards

I noticed mine clicked before outputting each test tone. It's simply switching which speaker it was going to autocalibrate in my case. I'm not sure if that's the same click your hearing.
post #6266 of 9532
The clicks are on mine too before changing to next speaker. I think microphone will not record this. Receiver startet after the click to start recording and when the tone ends it's measuring too ... so be quit until "Press Next" is shown on the display.
post #6267 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Or turn on your media player sharing in WMP12, fire up the DLNA app on the 818, and enjoy...

I don't think WMP12 supports FLAC out of the box. There are hacks, but I haven't tried them.
post #6268 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

I'm not getting any sound from 818. I got it on Wednesday and things were going fine. Today I decided to use the 818's preouts and now I don't get any sound, both with preouts and the unit's internal amps. Is there a setting I'm missing here? The 818's cover also feels quite warm, and I also noticed a number 22 in a small box on the unit's display. I unplugged it to be safe.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Yikes! Had the 818 in Zone2 mode.
post #6269 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

I'm not getting any sound from 818. I got it on Wednesday and things were going fine. Today I decided to use the 818's preouts and now I don't get any sound, both with preouts and the unit's internal amps. Is there a setting I'm missing here? The 818's cover also feels quite warm, and I also noticed a number 22 in a small box on the unit's display. I unplugged it to be safe.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Yikes! Had the 818 in Zone2 mode.

It happens!

I thought the HDMI video out on my 818 had broken, only to finally determine I accidentally set it to output 4k video. Duh!
post #6270 of 9532
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

I don't think WMP12 supports FLAC out of the box. There are hacks, but I haven't tried them.
I assumed he was already playing under WMP...since he specifically asked about the program....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion