or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 221

post #6601 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

All things equal, speakers, calibration, listening environment and setup, I have a hard time believing that the Marantz would drive a full seven channels to reference level as well as the 818. We may just have to agree to disagree. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

All things equal, speakers, calibration, listening environment and setup, I have a hard time believing that the Marantz would drive a full seven channels to reference level as well as the 818. We may just have to agree to disagree. tongue.gif

Given the chance to own both, i'd choose the 7007 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Too bad it's 2-3 times the price. In the music department, there is no comparison between Onkyo and Marantz. The only reason I don't have a Marantz now is because of bang for the buck. Even used they (annoyingly) retain their value very well for a reason.
post #6602 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post


Given the chance to own both, i'd choose the 7007 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Too bad it's 2-3 times the price. In the music department, there is no comparison between Onkyo and Marantz. The only reason I don't have a Marantz now is because of bang for the buck. Even used they (annoyingly) retain their value very well for a reason.
You and me both.......I'll use the 818 as my cheap inveastment to save for the 7007 or next model when it comes out ,,maybe..And yeah there no way the 818 would compare to the 7007 in all aspects.tongue.gif
post #6603 of 9477
Yeah, it looks horrendous, while the 818 doesn't.
post #6604 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

That's what kept me away from the Denon models --- very light --- and went with the Onkyo 818. Some people told me that weight doesn't mean anything. That may be true. But I'm having a hard time "buying" that unless there is specifically some technology stated that explains the weight difference. My bet is Denon cut the weight to reduce shipping and save them money. But I may be 100% wrong.

I presently own: Denon 3312, Onkyo 818, Pioneer SC-1227K (Canadian version of the 1222k).
As far as weight goes, the Onkyo is by far the heaviest. Distant second the Pioneer, last the Denon. But my experience is that linking weight to power is miselading, as all of those feel exactly as powerful. I have no precision instruments to support this statement with data, but my ears tell me that at 50% of their absolute volume they drive my Polk RtiA set in the very same way.
The difference is more in the sound, with the Pioneer feeling more clinical and focused, the Denon the least focused and more airy, and the Onkyo in the middle. I like the Pioneer better for movie watching because the dialogue stands up more in Expanded stereo mode. For music I am still not entirely convinced on the results I get from the Pioneer. Whether this is because of the digital amplifier or MCACC is not so clear to me. What i can say is that I like better the out of the box results I got from XT32 with the Onkyo, followed by XT with the Denon. MCACC has the least satisfying results, but it is much more customizeable afterwards. I am also thinking at this point that Pioneer D3 amps and Polk RTiA are not the best match. I really would like to be able to test with my previous Monitor Audio silver set (which I never missed with the Denon), but that is now gone...

My suggestion is not to rule out any of the 3 based on your expectations of power. Also, other than for their efficiency, the preference of D class amps vs A/B appears to me just a personal choice.
post #6605 of 9477
So what sound/surround modes are you people using with 5.1 blu-ray movies on evenings (not late night)? Heard that many like Direct + Audyssey EQ + Audyssey Dynamic EQ (Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dolby Volume OFF)

And you gamers, what picture mode for lowest input lag?

Picture Mode
Direct (does not adjust picture quality or change resolution)
Game (When the video is a game console) - Is this better than direct for gaming and why?

Game Mode
on/off (lower input lag) - Does this leave the signal untouched but with lower input lag?

Film Mode
Video
Auto

Resolution
Through (at same resolution and with no conversion) - This sounds like the best choice for PS3/360 and blu-ray players?
post #6606 of 9477
Newbie question..

How do I store different speaker volume settings for each input? I like to blast my surrounds a bit louder for my games.
post #6607 of 9477
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

Newbie question..

How do I store different speaker volume settings for each input? I like to blast my surrounds a bit louder for my games.

I don't know that you can store different volumes for different speakers per input. What you can do is set a different "volume offset" for different inputs so that, if you have a particularly loud device you can set a volume adjustment for that input to put it more in line with your other devices.
post #6608 of 9477
Speaking of setup options... I did a bit of reading in the manual last night but fell asleep trying to understand the plethora of listening modes offered by the 818. Basically my question is, given my super vanilla 5.1 setup (no height, wides, surround backs, etc.), why would I want to use any other than the default modes for my sources? Ok, I understand the benefit of going stereo vs all-channel stereo (critical listening vs background music). But...
  • For HDTV providing Dolby Digital, why choosing something else than "Dolby D"?
  • For movies in DTS-HD MasterAudio or Dolby True HD, why would I taint the original sound using another mode?
  • For games output in PCM, is there something wrong with "multich"?

I'm not trying to go after personal tastes -- it's okay with my if you want to play Call of Duty with the Orchestra mode -- I'm just trying to understand the benefit of choosing, say, THX Cinema or Neo:X Cinema over barebone Dolby True HD. Doesn't Dolby True HD deliver the most pristine experience already?
post #6609 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Speaking of setup options... I did a bit of reading in the manual last night but fell asleep trying to understand the plethora of listening modes offered by the 818. Basically my question is, given my super vanilla 5.1 setup (no height, wides, surround backs, etc.), why would I want to use any other than the default modes for my sources? Ok, I understand the benefit of going stereo vs all-channel stereo (critical listening vs background music). But...
  • For HDTV providing Dolby Digital, why choosing something else than "Dolby D"?
  • For movies in DTS-HD MasterAudio or Dolby True HD, why would I taint the original sound using another mode?
  • For games output in PCM, is there something wrong with "multich"?

I'm not trying to go after personal tastes -- it's okay with my if you want to play Call of Duty with the Orchestra mode -- I'm just trying to understand the benefit of choosing, say, THX Cinema or Neo:X Cinema over barebone Dolby True HD. Doesn't Dolby True HD deliver the most pristine experience already?
Not every media shares the same source. If I have a choice (PLII or Dolby Digital) obviously I'd choose the latter. It totally depends on what audio source is available, regarding THX I have no idea either. Most of the 818's audio settings are either stereo, or stereo -> multi channel simulation.
post #6610 of 9477
I haven't messed with too many surround modes on the 818. But, coming off an 807, I found that I like PLIIX//Height, (since I have heights)...The THX modes seemed...lacking...for me. The 818 is set to PLIIX Height after running Audyssey. Music is simply stereo, with my sub. A bunch of guys over at the 807 forums used to rave about DIRECT or PURE... Both modes seemed flat to me. (they did, however, just run my mains, which are bookshelves, and no sub, so they seemed a little anemic.)
post #6611 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

I haven't messed with too many surround modes on the 818. But, coming off an 807, I found that I like PLIIX//Height, (since I have heights)...The THX modes seemed...lacking...for me. The 818 is set to PLIIX Height after running Audyssey. Music is simply stereo, with my sub. A bunch of guys over at the 807 forums used to rave about DIRECT or PURE... Both modes seemed flat to me. (they did, however, just run my mains, which are bookshelves, and no sub, so they seemed a little anemic.)
Pure Audio sounds fantastic for me.
post #6612 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

Pure Audio sounds fantastic for me.
It is definately speaker dependant.I as well like Pure audio,but that is with my crossover adjusted to full band.
Then I like stereo w/sub and minor adjustments like no audyssey ,dynamic eq on,music optomizer off..
Edited by snowyo - 5/2/13 at 9:26am
post #6613 of 9477
Newbee needs help. I had to replace a denon avr 3803. So I got a deal on an onkyo nr 818. I plan on trying to set it up tomorrow but in reading the manual it says that the on screen display will only work with the hdmi. My problem is that my tv is an older hardly used Samsung that I plan on using an HDMI to DVI cable. The picture is good enough for now and I dont want to upgrade yet. I don't care about the tv not having sound as I have a fairly good speaker system. All sonance 2 front 2 side 2 rear 1 center and 2 son of subs.
Will I be able to have on screen using the HDMI to DVI for initial set up?
Thanks
post #6614 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs414 View Post

Newbee needs help. I had to replace a denon avr 3803. So I got a deal on an onkyo nr 818. I plan on trying to set it up tomorrow but in reading the manual it says that the on screen display will only work with the hdmi. My problem is that my tv is an older hardly used Samsung that I plan on using an HDMI to DVI cable. The picture is good enough for now and I dont want to upgrade yet. I don't care about the tv not having sound as I have a fairly good speaker system. All sonance 2 front 2 side 2 rear 1 center and 2 son of subs.
Will I be able to have on screen using the HDMI to DVI for initial set up?
Thanks
Not sure about that, but you can setup the AV without the OSD.
post #6615 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post

Been watching this thread on and off for five months. So far the longest running complaints seem to be lack of gap less music and proper setup of the xt32 crossovers. Well I'm tired of waiting...I ordered the one call open box deal. Keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't beat up.

The 818 came in yesterday, so I was up after mid-night setting the unit up. So far the biggest problem was the ATT uverse router.

Gapless audio? Would have been nice, but I don't find the short gaps all that objectionable ...
Open Box? If it was, then they had it repacked in a new box with new tape and all new accessories. This was a new unmolested 818...
Ground Shipping? Upgrade. Waiting a week sucks...
Pandora/vTuner? Works fine after setting the ATT router to pass all traffic to a local router (DMZ)
DLNA? Haven't figured this one out yet. Using the Onkyop android app I can play music from my network, but not using their net menus...
Egg Deal? Wishfull thinking, $699 isn't that bad though

I'm tempted to buy a second for the basement and let my old denon go to charity (e.g., college dorms....)
post #6616 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post

The 818 came in yesterday, so I was up after mid-night setting the unit up. So far the biggest problem was the ATT uverse router.

Gapless audio? Would have been nice, but I don't find the short gaps all that objectionable ...
Open Box? If it was, then they had it repacked in a new box with new tape and all new accessories. This was a new unmolested 818...
Ground Shipping? Upgrade. Waiting a week sucks...
Pandora/vTuner? Works fine after setting the ATT router to pass all traffic to a local router (DMZ)
DLNA? Haven't figured this one out yet. Using the Onkyop android app I can play music from my network, but not using their net menus...
Egg Deal? Wishfull thinking, $699 isn't that bad though

I'm tempted to buy a second for the basement and let my old denon go to charity (e.g., college dorms....)

And the sound? Keep us posted when you setup the system with Audyssey xt32 and get to crank some tunes or movies. Congrats on getting a new one!
Edited by eah9 - 5/1/13 at 7:33pm
post #6617 of 9477
Are there any iPad apps for the 818 that work better than the official Onkyo app?
post #6618 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post

The 818 came in yesterday, so I was up after mid-night setting the unit up. So far the biggest problem was the ATT uverse router.

Gapless audio? Would have been nice, but I don't find the short gaps all that objectionable ...
Open Box? If it was, then they had it repacked in a new box with new tape and all new accessories. This was a new unmolested 818...
Ground Shipping? Upgrade. Waiting a week sucks...
Pandora/vTuner? Works fine after setting the ATT router to pass all traffic to a local router (DMZ)
DLNA? Haven't figured this one out yet. Using the Onkyop android app I can play music from my network, but not using their net menus...
Egg Deal? Wishfull thinking, $699 isn't that bad though

I'm tempted to buy a second for the basement and let my old denon go to charity (e.g., college dorms....)

Many people have reported there Onecall open box receivers sealed and new. They have been selling them for months on ebay and amazon and never seem to run out of supply. Many have also called and got them for the same $699 marked as new. Open box from Amazon is a crapshoot.
post #6619 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Q View Post

Many people have reported there Onecall open box receivers sealed and new. They have been selling them for months on ebay and amazon and never seem to run out of supply. Many have also called and got them for the same $699 marked as new. Open box from Amazon is a crapshoot.

Isn't Onecall selling refurbs? A factory refurb should look just like new. The telling thing would be the warranty. Is it the normal warranty or is it 90 days or 1 year?
post #6620 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post


Isn't Onecall selling refurbs? A factory refurb should look just like new. The telling thing would be the warranty. Is it the normal warranty or is it 90 days or 1 year?

 

Brand new factory sealed. I'm guessing they can't advertise the $699 (without Onkyo being upset) so they state open box. If you call they will verify it's brand new sealed. Plus, refurbs will state such on the box and have a different serial number (reflecting being refurbed).

post #6621 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs414 View Post

Will I be able to have on screen using the HDMI to DVI for initial set up?

I would think so. What "OSD on HDMI only" means is that the OSD is overlaid on the images on the HDMI output, not on analog outputs. If you use the HDMI out but convert to DVI, the overlay should still be there, it's not extra info, it's just the video stream being modified to show the OSD on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post

DLNA? Haven't figured this one out yet. Using the Onkyop android app I can play music from my network, but not using their net menus...

If you want to use the DLNA net feature from the receiver, you have to set up a DLNA server somewhere on your network . This can be a PC running one of the various DLNA server software out there (TVersity, Serviio, PS3MediaServer, Windows Media Center, etc.), or a NAS or router that can act as a DLNA server. The Onkyo app can be used as both a DLNA controller, and also as a server for local content on Android devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post

Are there any iPad apps for the 818 that work better than the official Onkyo app?

I don't use iOS but oRemote is made by an AVS Forum member and is supposed to be quite good.
post #6622 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I would think so. What "OSD on HDMI only" means is that the OSD is overlaid on the images on the HDMI output, not on analog outputs. If you use the HDMI out but convert to DVI, the overlay should still be there, it's not extra info, it's just the video stream being modified to show the OSD on top.

This is my thought as well, DVI is the video section of HDMI whereas HDMI normally includes audio as well. I'm fairly certain the digital video signal isn't touched so the original overlay should still be present.
post #6623 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Q View Post

Many people have reported there Onecall open box receivers sealed and new. They have been selling them for months on ebay and amazon and never seem to run out of supply. Many have also called and got them for the same $699 marked as new. Open box from Amazon is a crapshoot.

I see it on onecall's site at 799, is anyone seeing it for 699 today?
post #6624 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoR View Post

I see it on onecall's site at 799, is anyone seeing it for 699 today?

Only seeing the $799 on Amazon (through OneCall).. NewEgg does have open box for $719.
Edited by eah9 - 5/2/13 at 2:54pm
post #6625 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoR View Post

I see it on onecall's site at 799, is anyone seeing it for 699 today?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-NR818-Open-Box-7-2-Channel-3D-Home-Theater-Receiver-/151038772902?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item232a9cc6a6
post #6626 of 9477
post #6627 of 9477
Since this gets plugged in to the 818, I'll ask here.

I am looking to replace this old Sub wiring with newer, longer, better grade wiring. Can you guys recommend a good product? It is too short to reach my amp by the route I (read wife) want it to go....

Thanks in advance,

Subwires.jpg 790k .jpg file
post #6628 of 9477
Well, its available here in Australia at a heavily discounted price at the moment - down from $2099 to a mere $1399. I don't know what you guys are complaining about! At the prices you are talking about, what is stopping you? Come on, just do it - its a great receiver, and a lot better value for the money than it is here.
post #6629 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by boidsonly View Post

Since this gets plugged in to the 818, I'll ask here.

I am looking to replace this old Sub wiring with newer, longer, better grade wiring. Can you guys recommend a good product? It is too short to reach my amp by the route I (read wife) want it to go....

Thanks in advance,

Subwires.jpg 790k .jpg file
You mean something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Install-Series-Subwoofer-Cable/dp/B000WXJFNS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367541018&sr=8-2&keywords=subwoofer+cable
post #6630 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by boidsonly View Post

Since this gets plugged in to the 818, I'll ask here.

I am looking to replace this old Sub wiring with newer, longer, better grade wiring. Can you guys recommend a good product? It is too short to reach my amp by the route I (read wife) want it to go....

Thanks in advance,

Subwires.jpg 790k .jpg file

As always...Monoprice is your friend...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion