or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 258

post #7711 of 9475
You are giving me hope, neutro.

Can we separate out my two issues?

First, will running my 818 as a 9.1 set up (front wides and two rear surrounds) encroach on my ability to use it for Zone 2?

As for the sub in the second room, you are correct on both points. This room will be exclusively music, and it is not an LFE signal; just the low end of stereo. My sub allows the type of connection you described. However, I am trying to do it wirelessly, with one of these:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-WSW312.html

And my understanding is that using the Rocketfish requires a coaxial out of the 818 to work.

Thoughts? And thank you very much for chiming in.

Just Nick
post #7712 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nick View Post

First, will running my 818 as a 9.1 set up (front wides and two rear surrounds) encroach on my ability to use it for Zone 2?

Yes if you were planning on using a speaker-level output (you don't have any free speaker connectors left on the back); no if you were planning on using a line level output. Just to be clear: while using your 9.1 setup, you still can use the Zone 2 (and Zone 3) Line Outs on the back of the 818.
Quote:
As for the sub in the second room, you are correct on both points. This room will be exclusively music, and it is not an LFE signal; just the low end of stereo. My sub allows the type of connection you described.

That's great. So it's entirely possible; you just have to figure out the connections, and how to amplify the line out signal at the other end. What is your sub model? I'd be able to advise more precisely if I check out the manual. Also, do you plan on using amplified speakers (such as a sound bar or computer speakers) in your Zone 2, or do you plan on using passive speakers? If using passive speakers, you'll need a stereo amplifier to drive them. No need for an entire receiver there.

The basic plan, if your sub has the appropriate connections, would be to send the stereo Zone 2 Line out to the stereo line in inputs of the sub, apply a crossover on the sub, and send the stereo line out of the sub to the stereo amplifier (or amplified speakers).
Quote:
However, I am trying to do it wirelessly, with one of these:

The problem I see with those is that while the sender accepts stereo line in, it will only output in mono, and perhaps it will apply a crossover on top of it (e.g. to preserve bandwidth). What you want to do is use a stereo transmitter. Rocketfish has a rear speaker kit that combine the transmitter / receiver and stereo amplifier for passive speakers.

EDIT: however the rear speaker kit *only* has speaker-level outputs, alas, so your sub would have to have speaker-level inputs if you wanted to use that.
Edited by neutro - 8/19/13 at 8:38am
post #7713 of 9475
I appreciate your thoughts, neutro. My second room speakers are passive, so I need amplification. At this point, I am just wondering if getting a 2.1 receiver might be easier. Like this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sherwood+-+200W+2.1-Ch.+Stereo+Receiver/9845888.p?id=1218182758283&skuId=9845888#tab=specifications

Or if I got a relatively straightforward 5.1 AVR, I could use it as an amp (accepting the line out from the 818), and having the coax out for the sub so I can use the wireless sub kit I already own.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.

Just Nick
post #7714 of 9475
Yes, any receiver could do the job instead of a stereo amp and using the sub as a crossover. If you look at used items, you could have quite a nice setup for even cheaper than that Sherwood receiver. If you still want to do the job wirelessly though, you'd still have to find a decent stereo transmitter / receiver.
post #7715 of 9475
I am probably missing something, but I thought that if I used a 5.1 AVR, I could use the Rocketfish wireless sub kit and I would not need a transmitter/receiver.

???

Thanks again!

Just Nick
post #7716 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nick View Post

I am probably missing something, but I thought that if I used a 5.1 AVR, I could use the Rocketfish wireless sub kit and I would not need a transmitter/receiver.

It depends where you want your wireless link to be. If you want it between the 818 and the Zone 2 amp/receiver, then you need a stereo transmitter (the Rocketfish sub kit only transmits mono). If you simply want the link between the Zone 2 amp/receiver and your sub to be wireless, then the sub kit is all you need.
post #7717 of 9475
Does it matter? Is one placement preferred?
post #7718 of 9475
Well it really depends on how you want your Zone 2 arranged. Do you need a wireless link between your Zone 1 and Zone 2, or between your amp and sub inside Zone 2?

I guess the typical setup would be, say, Zone 1 in your living room where you watch movies, etc. Then a Zone 2 in another room (e.g. dining room or bedroom). Suppose you have your 2.1 setup in your Zone 2. So you have your amp/receiver; two speakers; one sub. Can you run a sub cable between the amp/receiver and the sub in your zone 2? If yest, then you don't need wireless for your sub there.

You may still want a wireless link between Zone 1 (your 818) and Zone 2 (remote room). If so, then you'll want a stereo link, which you can't do with the Rocketfish sub link since it's mono. Either you have a long run of cable between the 818 and your Zone 2, or you find a stereo wireless transmitter.
post #7719 of 9475
I get it. I was assuming you knew how I had things configured, which is impossible since I did not say.

biggrin.gif

All components are in Zone 1 equipment closet. Zone 2 ceiling speaker wires were run to equipment closet in Zone 1 pre sheetrock. Now I am adding a sub to Zone 2 after the fact. So I believe I just need a wireless link from my Zone 2 amp/receiver (which is sitting inside Zone 1) to the Zone 2 sub, which sits in Zone 2.

Phew!

Just Nick
post #7720 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nick View Post

I get it. I was assuming you knew how I had things configured, which is impossible since I did not say.

My powers don't extend that far.
Quote:
All components are in Zone 1 equipment closet. Zone 2 ceiling speaker wires were run to equipment closet in Zone 1 pre sheetrock. Now I am adding a sub to Zone 2 after the fact. So I believe I just need a wireless link from my Zone 2 amp/receiver (which is sitting inside Zone 1) to the Zone 2 sub, which sits in Zone 2.

That is much clearer now. Since you already have speaker wires going there, the second amp/receiver for zone 2 makes lots of sense. And yes you could use the Rocketfish sub kit for the sub in Zone 2 this way. Just set the speakers to Small on the Zone 2 amp/receiver and provide the appropriate crossover. Any 2.1 receiver should do the job, but if you find a cheap / used 5.1/7.1 receiver, you could even add speakers for Zone 2 by running it in all-channel stereo mode.

The other way to do it is to split your stereo Zone 2 line out and send one branch to a cheap stereo amp (e.g. this Lepai Tripath amp for $24) to drive the speakers, and the other branch to your sub or the Rocketfish sub kit (the sub kit accepts stereo inputs). You'd then manage bass on the sub itself, setting the crossover yourself to match the cut-off of your in-ceiling speakers.
post #7721 of 9475
"My powers don't extend that far."

Pretty damn close, though.
Thank you again very much.
post #7722 of 9475
Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off HDMI handshaking/syncing of a certain input on the NR818 until it is selected?

I have a PC connected to one of the HDMIs (so it can be displayed on my projector connected to the AVR) and every time I turn on the receiver, the PC sees it as a connected device and changes where the monitor is displayed even when that input is not in use. I actually want this when the input is selected (this is how it was on my former SR805), but not when the reciever is powered on/off.
Could this be related to instaprevue? Can that be turned off in the menus?

Thanks all in advance for any help...
post #7723 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyttu View Post

Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off HDMI handshaking/syncing of a certain input on the NR818 until it is selected?

I have a PC connected to one of the HDMIs (so it can be displayed on my projector connected to the AVR) and every time I turn on the receiver, the PC sees it as a connected device and changes where the monitor is displayed even when that input is not in use. I actually want this when the input is selected (this is how it was on my former SR805), but not when the reciever is powered on/off.
Could this be related to instaprevue? Can that be turned off in the menus?

Thanks all in advance for any help...

 

It is related to Instaprevue. AAIU, the unit handshakes with any and all connected HDMI units when it turns on - this saves a lot of time later when switching sources since the handshake has already been done, but it causes the issue you describe. AFAIK there is no way you can turn off one HDMI port.

post #7724 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

This setting is only accessible on the receiver's web page. Use a web browser and enter your receiver's IP address as the URL. The DMR (DLNA Media Renderer) max volume setting is available on that page. Default is 0, so every time a new stream is started, the receiver reverts to 0 volume (i.e. muted). Setting it to 100 allow the full volume range to be set remotely using a DCP (DLNA control point). You can set it to any other level if you want to prevent a control point to set it to an unacceptably loud volume. Alternatively, the DMR max volume can be set using the oRemote iOS app.

Thanks. I made the adjustment to 80 but it did not help. My problem may be different. I have a direct tv receiver. Upon power up of the receiver it in turn powers up the Onkyo and my Panasonic plasma. Half the time or more all is fine with the volume. The rest of the time any volume adjustment ends with the mute setting on. The volume banner at the bottom flicks on and off with each volume adjustment, the adjustment is made but then it defaults to mute. Hitting the mute button corrects it but with the next volume adjustment it does it again. Sometimes turning the whole system off and on corrects it, sometimes it stays the same. This happens using the volume control on the direct tv remote and with the volume control on the Onkyo remote. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #7725 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It is related to Instaprevue. AAIU, the unit handshakes with any and all connected HDMI units when it turns on - this saves a lot of time later when switching sources since the handshake has already been done, but it causes the issue you describe. AFAIK there is no way you can turn off one HDMI port.

Thanks for the reply- I think what i'll do is just insert a small IR HDMI switch in the chain between the PC and AVR and leave it unlinked until I switch to its input and complete the chain with my remote macro.
post #7726 of 9475
Hello, i just received the 818 just now. I am a bit puzzled about a strange thing i see in the audio setup (under the setup button). When i want to change the level for the center speaker in BD also TV and other sources are changed mad.gif
I can change the Video mode and that will be done for every source independent.
Also when i change the bass or high in a specific source, all other sources will be changed to.
I think this is wrong but i can not see what i am doing wrong here, hope to get some help.....

Did not do a update yet or Audyssey, both a planed for tomorrow.
I changed from Marantz SR7007 to Onkyo 818 just because i was impossible on the Marantz to change audio settings for each source independend.
I had Onkyo in the past a i can remember that i was possible to change everything for each source independend, or is my mind playing tricks ?

Thx !
Edited by CBdicX - 8/20/13 at 9:58am
post #7727 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It is related to Instaprevue. AAIU, the unit handshakes with any and all connected HDMI units when it turns on - this saves a lot of time later when switching sources since the handshake has already been done, but it causes the issue you describe. AFAIK there is no way you can turn off one HDMI port.

Thanks for the information -- I also have strange issues with a PC connected to the 818. But I thought it was mainly Windows being stubborn about it because the PC behaves much better under Ubuntu. Basically I just want the desktop to be mirrored on the TV (via the 818) and computer display at all time. But in Windows, it looks like the default display always revert to being TV/818 only, even when the receiver is in standby. At least, it can be fixed with the windows key - P combination, but it's still a pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankluck View Post

Thanks. I made the adjustment to 80 but it did not help. My problem may be different. I have a direct tv receiver. Upon power up of the receiver it in turn powers up the Onkyo and my Panasonic plasma. Half the time or more all is fine with the volume. The rest of the time any volume adjustment ends with the mute setting on. The volume banner at the bottom flicks on and off with each volume adjustment, the adjustment is made but then it defaults to mute.

Well it seems that this has nothing to do with DLNA and UPnP control points, so yeah, not surprised that it didn't help. Sorry I can't help more; this is maybe some sort of HDMI control (HEC) issue.
post #7728 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Hello, i just received the 818 just now. I am a bit puzzled about a strange thing i see in the audio setup (under the setup button). When i want to change the level for the center speaker in BD also TV and other sources are changed mad.gif
I can change the Video mode and that will be done for every source independent.
Also when i change the bass or high in a specific source, all other sources will be changed to.
I think this is wrong but i can not see what i am doing wrong here, hope to get some help.....

Did not do a update yet or Audyssey, both a planed for tomorrow.
I changed from Marantz SR7007 to Onkyo 818 just because i was impossible on the Marantz to change audio settings for each source independend.
I had Onkyo in the past a i can remember that i was possible to change everything for each source independend, or is my mind playing tricks ?

Thx !
Hi. You are mistaken. The settings you mention are global (thankfully for me)
If I had to set bass and treble and center/fronts/rears I would probably lose my mind remembering if I've set a certain source!
post #7729 of 9475
Hi, thanks for the reply, but its more like this, when i set the center higher in volume on BD i find it strange that also the volume for the center will go up in all the other used sources. Think when i want "more" center i will have to select a different audio mode like DTS movie. Still find this strange that it will not be stored for that specific source........
post #7730 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Thanks for the information -- I also have strange issues with a PC connected to the 818. But I thought it was mainly Windows being stubborn about it because the PC behaves much better under Ubuntu. Basically I just want the desktop to be mirrored on the TV (via the 818) and computer display at all time. But in Windows, it looks like the default display always revert to being TV/818 only, even when the receiver is in standby. At least, it can be fixed with the windows key - P combination, but it's still a pain.


Hi, which video card do you have on the PC? I was using Nvidia 550GTX and I had no problem of cloning the displays between Onkyo 818 and Samsung. Then I changed the video to an AMD 6850 and I could not do it properly(I could but the 3D would not work and even PowerDVD would not play Bluray discs. So, I reverted back to Nvidia and everything is back as it was. I can clone the display, play 3D and play bluray discs.
post #7731 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

Hi, which video card do you have on the PC? I was using Nvidia 550GTX and I had no problem of cloning the displays between Onkyo 818 and Samsung. Then I changed the video to an AMD 6850 and I could not do it properly(I could but the 3D would not work and even PowerDVD would not play Bluray discs. So, I reverted back to Nvidia and everything is back as it was. I can clone the display, play 3D and play bluray discs.

It's a GeForce 660 GTX. It looks like the problem was the receiver got numbered "display 1" and was the default display, while my desktop monitor was relegated as the second display. I fiddled a bit more with Windows's settings and now they seem to stick.
post #7732 of 9475
Why do i not get any song information when i use vTuner ?
What i get is a nice station logo, playing time, station name and station signature.
Above the palying time i see --- , maybe thats the spot for song information ?

I just swiched back to Onkyo from a Marantz SR7007 and here vTuner did show song information.
So wat is wrong here, is there a setting that i missed that will show song information ?

Thx.....
post #7733 of 9475
I haven't read through all the pages so bare with me!

After doing audssey set up is there any reason to go and change listening modes?

Will the receiver automatically play the best audio version on the blu ray?

Thanks
post #7734 of 9475
[tquote name="Scottyp3" url="/t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/7710#post_23659048"]I haven't read through all the pages so bare with me!

After doing audssey set up is there any reason to go and change listening modes?

Will the receiver automatically play the best audio version on the blu ray?

Thanks[/quote]

I wouldn't want to bare with you whatsoever, but I'll bear with you.

Running Audyssey and selecting your listening modes aren't the same thing.

You can set your avr to play your favorite mode for a given input, but how would it know what you consider best automatically? wink.gif
post #7735 of 9475
been staring at a screen all day and clearly my spelling is terrible tonight lol.

I want to put in a blu ray and see that its using DTS-HD MA 5.1 lossless soundtrack (for example)

Right now when I put in a blu ray it says multi channel on the front.
post #7736 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

I want to put in a blu ray and see that its using DTS-HD MA 5.1 lossless soundtrack (for example)

Right now when I put in a blu ray it says multi channel on the front.

Your blu-ray player is set to PCM. This means it is decoding the sound track and sending it to the AVR. The AVR doesn't know, or care what format the audio is in.
Changing to Bitstream on the player will send the undecoded information and the AVR will decoded it instead of the player. When this occurs, the AVR can see the format of the audio and display it accordingly.

Strangely, my AVR seems to struggle with bitstream DD/DD True HD tracks and I can experience audio dropouts if I let the AVR do the decoding. Using PCM doesn't suffer this problem.
I've never experienced a dropout with bitstreamed DTS, so I'm not sure why it occurs with DD.
post #7737 of 9475
On the remote push the setup button once you are playing the blu ray. For each input you are able to change the listening mode for movie, music, game and thx. The dts mstr audio will be there and also this will allow you to find out what mode you like as the movie is playing. According to how many speakers you have connected you will have different options such as neo x or dolby plIIx movie plus audyssey dsx which is what I use for movies as I have wides connected for 9.2. Then just press enter to set it and every time you use that input it will automatically use your preset
post #7738 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

I want to put in a blu ray and see that its using DTS-HD MA 5.1 lossless soundtrack (for example)

Right now when I put in a blu ray it says multi channel on the front.

Hi Scottyp3, if you have a Sony bluray player (not the PS3) make sure to set BD Audio Mix Setting to "Off" (default is On) and HDMI Audio to "Auto".
post #7739 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

I haven't read through all the pages so bare with me!

After doing audssey set up is there any reason to go and change listening modes?

Will the receiver automatically play the best audio version on the blu ray?

Thanks

 

You are talking of two different things here. Audyssey calibrates your system, taking into account the influences of the room on the sound you hear. After running Audyssey, the speaker trim levels will be set, as will the speaker distances from the listening position and Audyssey will create a set of inverse filters to compensate for the negative impact of the room on the final sound quality. After Audyssey has run, check that your crossovers have been set appropriately, and possibly change them all to 80Hz if they are not already higher than that.  Check out the Audyssey FAQ linked in my sig for a full and detailed explanation of how Audyssey works in your AVR.

 

WRT to the audio version, this is nothing to do with Audyssey. Your player will play whatever is on the disc - this could be Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA or Dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1 or Dolby 2.0 etc. The disc will default to one or the other but you can change this in the disc menu. These days, most blurays will default to a lossless codec - DTS-HD MA or TrueHD, but occasionally this is not the case. I always hit the Info button on my remote after the movie has started so I can check that I have the best codec in use.

post #7740 of 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Scottyp3, if you have a Sony bluray player (not the PS3) make sure to set BD Audio Mix Setting to "Off" (default is On) and HDMI Audio to "Auto".

Thank you.

That is what I ended up figuring out last night. I changed x amount of options on receiver when I should've just looked up the blu ray player online and see what it said. Kind of silly for Sony to have that as default.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion