or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 267

post #7981 of 9477
Ok, so I sent me TX-NR809 for repair. It needs a new HDMI board, which is under warranty. I am told its gonna be a few weeks. I'm debating if I should just buy a TX-NR818, and try to sell the 809 when it's fixed?
Is the 818 that much better than the 809 due to the xt32, and does it still have the same hdmi board problems as previous models?
post #7982 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

Ok, so I sent me TX-NR809 for repair. It needs a new HDMI board, which is under warranty. I am told its gonna be a few weeks. I'm debating if I should just buy a TX-NR818, and try to sell the 809 when it's fixed?
Is the 818 that much better than the 809 due to the xt32, and does it still have the same hdmi board problems as previous models?
A few (maybe two) have had a HDMI problem, maybe more. I haven't, had it 1 year 2 months or so, no problems at all. I came from the 809 and to me it sounds much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3cwill View Post

I recently picked up the 818, and I must say, I am fairly impressed with XT32. My theater has honestly never sounded better. My wife even noticed the bass was much tighter during movies:)

After reading up on Dynamic EQ, I was not sure that I would enjoy it or not, but I enjoy it while watching prime time shows.

I only have one problem that I have not solved, and that is with music. I am strictly a 2.0 music guy, so I use Pure Audio. What has me baffled is that the highs seem laid back using Pure Audio on the 818. I came from an 805, and it really shined in Pure Audio with my Monitor Audio GS10s. It is almost like there is a blanket over the tweeters. They are just not crisp. It is so hard to describe sound on a forum.

I have tried stereo with the Audysee music curve and DEQ off, and it is no better. I am really lost on what to try next.

Has anyone had a similar experience? It makes no sense due to no processing and Pure Audio should be no different amp to amp?
I have used Pure Audio with music and I find that it sounds really clean. Just right. I haven't got anything to compare it with though.
Edited by theoneofgod - 9/20/13 at 6:22pm
post #7983 of 9477
Any way to run Pure Mode with the sub?
post #7984 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. All the evidence I have seen shows the problem showed up at around 24 months of usage, which makes the scenario I describe perfectly reasonable. Guessing that some problems showed up way earlier is just that: a guess.

Sounds like someone works for Onkyo! Let's evaluate a business decision! U produce 1000 units and sell them. After they are sold you realize that little Johnny screwed up one part that fails. Do you recall those 1000 units and tell everyone that they slipped through you QC dept costing you millions or do you just deal with those issues as they arise one on one? Knowing that 40% are not tech savy enough to know the difference? As I stated earlier. Samsung sold millions of TVs and the panels have a serious banding and clouding issues. Recall them all or just handle those that complain? As a business I know what would be done!
post #7985 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake608 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. All the evidence I have seen shows the problem showed up at around 24 months of usage, which makes the scenario I describe perfectly reasonable. Guessing that some problems showed up way earlier is just that: a guess.

Sounds like someone works for Onkyo! Let's evaluate a business decision! U produce 1000 units and sell them. After they are sold you realize that little Johnny screwed up one part that fails. Do you recall those 1000 units and tell everyone that they slipped through you QC dept costing you millions or do you just deal with those issues as they arise one on one? Knowing that 40% are not tech savy enough to know the difference? As I stated earlier. Samsung sold millions of TVs and the panels have a serious banding and clouding issues. Recall them all or just handle those that complain? As a business I know what would be done!

 

I'm greatly amused at the idea that someone would be so un-tech savvy that they'd fail to notice their AVR was producing no sound at all. :)
 
BTW, I don't work for Onkyo or indeed anybody.
post #7986 of 9477
To all that have recently got an 818...

Cam you post what firmware came on it (and maybe a manufacture date)? I'm wondering if ...

1) Onkyo was still making them as of a few months ago
2) What was the latest firmware that Onkyo shipped on the 818...
post #7987 of 9477
My firmware was Jan 2013.


J
post #7988 of 9477
So are most 818 owners pretty happy overall?

I have a TX-NR807 and need an additional, 3D receiver. I have had great luck with the 807 and was thinking of the 818. Most reviews I have read were very good.

Any feedback from anyone on theirs? Would you buy it again?
post #7989 of 9477
Replaced a working 805 which I will keep as a spare. Sound is much better. Significant upgrade from the 805. I am enjoying the network connectivity .
post #7990 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post

So are most 818 owners pretty happy overall?

I have a TX-NR807 and need an additional, 3D receiver. I have had great luck with the 807 and was thinking of the 818. Most reviews I have read were very good.

Any feedback from anyone on theirs? Would you buy it again?

Coming from a 875 I was concerned that I might be sacrificing quality for features. I have no regrets, other than losing the backlit remote. I am very happy with this receiver.
post #7991 of 9477
Ok, ordered the tx-818, and here is my new setup. It will go on top of this shelf. Will I still need to buy a fan, even though it will be on top of this shelf, with plenty if ventilation?


post #7992 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

Ok, ordered the tx-818, and here is my new setup. It will go on top of this shelf. Will I still need to buy a fan, even though it will be on top of this shelf, with plenty if ventilation?



If its on the top shelf it should be fine. Onkyo has improved the heat dispersion on their receivers. My 805 ran really really HOT! But 818 is fine. U should be ok but it's good to keep a watch on it.smile.gif
post #7993 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

Coming from a 875 I was concerned that I might be sacrificing quality for features. I have no regrets, other than losing the backlit remote. I am very happy with this receiver.

Thanks. I now have one on order!

I am sure the heat will be similar to my 807. As far as the backlit remote I have a Harmony One remote anyway, so fine there!
post #7994 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Replaced a working 805 which I will keep as a spare. Sound is much better. Significant upgrade from the 805. I am enjoying the network connectivity .

Thanks! Great to know!
post #7995 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post


That's simple! What I am experience is different in that my HDMI inputs work and then fade away getting lower and lower! Eventually I had top move the inputs to get volume until I ran out of inputs to move. Duh, I know everyday joe would know they did not have sound. Going completely out is not the only problem with the board.
post #7996 of 9477
With Which unit did you have this issue?
post #7997 of 9477
I just ordered a a NR818. I have been buying a ton of receivers the last two years. I will be stacking up the 818 against my new Harman Kardon AVR3700. Never tried a Onkyo AVR, I mainly use Pioneer Elite receivers but I really wanted to try out the Audyssey room calibration. I am excited to try it out, little worried about the HDMI board now though.. I even went out and bought a rack that will give the big Onkyo room to breath so it doesn't overheat.
post #7998 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

I just ordered a a NR818. I have been buying a ton of receivers the last two years. I will be stacking up the 818 against my new Harman Kardon AVR3700. Never tried a Onkyo AVR, I mainly use Pioneer Elite receivers but I really wanted to try out the Audyssey room calibration. I am excited to try it out, little worried about the HDMI board now though.. I even went out and bought a rack that will give the big Onkyo room to breath so it doesn't overheat.

The heat is not the killer of these boards. The 818 does run a lot cooler then the previous generations of Onkyo's.
post #7999 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

Ok, ordered the tx-818, and here is my new setup. It will go on top of this shelf. Will I still need to buy a fan, even though it will be on top of this shelf, with plenty if ventilation?


 

Should be fine there. Just check it now and then to see how hot it gets. If in doubt, add a couple of 4 inch PC fans.

post #8000 of 9477
i got my 818 this weekend and this thing is really big and powerfull....


The 818 along with my VT60 heat the room pretty well after about an hour my hole room is hot thanks to this guys... they will be useful on this texas winter
post #8001 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

With Which unit did you have this issue?

The 818
post #8002 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake608 View Post

The 818
Once it was set up with my Klipsch ref speakers all 10 and the 2 subs and my old Kenwood driving my front wides the sound was awesome. But then the sound faded and the issue began. I may have had a little more heat than what it needed, but I am hoping they get it fixed or replace it with a 929 since the 828 is not a direct replacement.
post #8003 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker37 View Post

I bought one of these on the Amazon sale, wasn't planning on spending quite that much but couldn't pass it up at that price. Unfortunately, opened the box today and found the unit badly dented on top. And apparently since it was "purchased from Huppins, fulfilled by Amazon", I can only return for a refund, not return for a replacement.

I was all set to spend the afternoon hooking this thing up!

Also, how am I now gonna be satisfied with a lesser receiver?

Damn!

I would call Huppins directly. They are a reputable company. See if they will replace it.

I emailed Amazon, and they hooked me up at the deal price. Unit arrived today and looks to be in pristine condition! Now I just need to find some time to hook this bad boy up and get to calibratin'!
post #8004 of 9477
Great news. I would put a fan on top as a prudent measure.
post #8005 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Great news. I would put a fan on top as a prudent measure.

If he has a fan laying around it wouldn't hurt. But most of us have found the 818 to run quite cooler than previous models. It also depends on install location.
post #8006 of 9477
If my brand new AVR required a ghetto PC fan jimmy-rig in order to work properly, I'd spend my money somewhere else. I don't think the 818 needs a fan.
post #8007 of 9477
I agree. My 818 sits in a fairly tight area, which is open at the back. I don't find it getting too hot at all, even after running for some hours at decent volumes. In the open on top of a cabinet/shelf, the 818 should have no problems at all.
post #8008 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by runcliffyrun View Post

I agree. My 818 sits in a fairly tight area, which is open at the back. I don't find it getting too hot at all, even after running for some hours at decent volumes. In the open on top of a cabinet/shelf, the 818 should have no problems at all.
I have my 807 in an enclosed cabinet the last few years. Open the doors when using. Gets warm but never an issue. If the 818 runs cooler there should be zero issues.
post #8009 of 9477
My 818 arrives tomorrow. I also bought the UWB-1 wireless adapter. How is the range on these?

Would a wireless bridge be a better choice? I will have AV receiver on 3rd floor. Main wireless router on 1st floor.
post #8010 of 9477
My 818 gets here tomorrow also. Yay!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion