or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 270

post #8071 of 9491
Is there a way to decode the serial number to find out when the unit was made? If so what is it?

Joel
post #8072 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

Ok, so I set my 818 on straight decode for Dts hd and True HD codecs, and when I was watching a DTS HD movie today, the input was 5.1, but the output was 7.1. Does this mean that straight decode up converts the original hd stream to 7.1?

 

Shouldn't be possible unless you had PLIIx engaged

post #8073 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

Ok, so I set my 818 on straight decode for Dts hd and True HD codecs, and when I was watching a DTS HD movie today, the input was 5.1, but the output was 7.1. Does this mean that straight decode up converts the original hd stream to 7.1?

 

No - straight decode means just that. 5.1 will come out as 5.1. I suspect you have an upmixing DSP engaged as well... When you press Info on the remote, what does it say on screen?  It should give details of the input (eg Dolby 5.1) and also details of the output. For a straight decode it will say:

 

Input: Dolby DTS-HD MA 5.1

Output: Dolby DTS-HD MA 5.1.

 

I suspect your Output description looks something like:

 

Output: Dolby DTS-HD MA/Dolby PLIIx

post #8074 of 9491
No, it said input 5.1 DTS Master

Output 7.1 DTS Master. I have it set on straight decode for Dolby and true hd.

What is dap up mixing and where are those settings?
post #8075 of 9491
Dsp mixing
post #8076 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

No, it said input 5.1 DTS Master

Output 7.1 DTS Master. I have it set on straight decode for Dolby and true hd.

What is dap up mixing and where are those settings?

 

You'll need a picture as proof as it shouldn't be possible.

post #8077 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

No, it said input 5.1 DTS Master

Output 7.1 DTS Master. I have it set on straight decode for Dolby and true hd.

What is dap up mixing and where are those settings?

 

DSP upmixing is the DSP you can use - eg PLIIx, or THX Cinema etc. It's impossible to input 5.1 and output 7.1 without using a DSP.

post #8078 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

No, it said input 5.1 DTS Master

Output 7.1 DTS Master. I have it set on straight decode for Dolby and true hd.

What is dap up mixing and where are those settings?

 

You'll need a picture as proof as it shouldn't be possible.

 

S'right. 5.1 in has to be 5.1 out unless some form of upmixing DSP is used. 

post #8079 of 9491
Some BLURAYS are 7.1 so for those straight decode would leade to 7.1
post #8080 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Some BLURAYS are 7.1 so for those straight decode would leade to 7.1

 

True, bit in this case the user is saying it shows 5.1 input and 7.1 output.  If the disc was 7.1 it would show that for both input and output.

post #8081 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Some BLURAYS are 7.1 so for those straight decode would leade to 7.1

 

Yes, but they would show up as Input: Dolby (etc) 7.1, not 5.1.

post #8082 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Is there a way to decode the serial number to find out when the unit was made? If so what is it?

Hi jmschnur, I believe its the 8th and 9th digital of the serial number but you can call Onkyo for the info.
post #8083 of 9491
Thanks
post #8084 of 9491
I have experienced a similar occurrence though I own a different receiver, the Onkyo 9400 thx system. I always watch movies in True HD or DTS HD MA and for True HD if the input is 5.1 then so is the output unless I use PLIIx. However, for DTS HD MA if a movie is 5.1 or 6.1 it outputs it as 7.1. Input states DTS HD MA 5.1, Output states DTS HD MA 7.1 everytime. I was going to ask on the forums a few months ago when I noticed this but figured it wasn't a big deal. I just agree with the receiver and enjoy my movie smile.gif
post #8085 of 9491
So if that's the case, am I still getting the raw sound stream, or is it being upconverted?
post #8086 of 9491
post #8087 of 9491
It's not really "upconverted". If you have a 5.1 input and a 7.1 setup, the surrounds and surrounds back will simply play the same content. If you have a 7.1 input and a 5.1 setup, the surround tracks and surround back tracks are simply played by the surround speakers. So no fancy processing involved, just re-routing of the audio tracks to the channels that make the more sense.
post #8088 of 9491
would you guys advise the 717 also? its around 400 dollars less which i would be more comfortable spending on a receiver but the 818 gets all the praise, i wondered if features aside if the sound quality is as good as the 818?

Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2-Channel Home Theater A/V Receiver

This is the model i refer to
post #8089 of 9491
Audyssey xt 32 in the 818 is a big deal for improved sound.
post #8090 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

So if that's the case, am I still getting the raw sound stream, or is it being upconverted?

Very interesting and after seeing your proof I checked for myself and indeed get the same info. And I confirmed there is audio coming from the rear surrounds. This is indeed a bug. Appears to only be on DTS MA tracks.
post #8091 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

It's not really "upconverted". If you have a 5.1 input and a 7.1 setup, the surrounds and surrounds back will simply play the same content. If you have a 7.1 input and a 5.1 setup, the surround tracks and surround back tracks are simply played by the surround speakers. So no fancy processing involved, just re-routing of the audio tracks to the channels that make the more sense.
That should not happen unless one sets a DSP mode of some sort. This is a bug. There is currently no way to play a 5.1 DTS MA track with only 5.1 speakers.

Granted I always engage PLIIx so not a big deal.
post #8092 of 9491
I have a QIP 7216 1 Motorola Verizon Fios HD-DVR connected to my 818 via HDMI which is going via HDMI into a Panasonic TCP55GT50 . I seem to remember a good while ago that I had sporadic audio drops on my DVR content that was fixed by some kind of HDMI setting, but I can't recall if it was in my TV/DVR/Receiver.

Well, it has been at least a year, and that unpleasant friend has returned this evening. Does anyone recall this at all?
post #8093 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreger View Post

Ok, so I set my 818 on straight decode for Dts hd and True HD codecs, and when I was watching a DTS HD movie today, the input was 5.1, but the output was 7.1. Does this mean that straight decode up converts the original hd stream to 7.1?

Hi bkreger, it appears that Onkyo (read here) has implemented the remapping of DTS 5.1 audio since the 2011 models.
post #8094 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi bkreger, it appears that Onkyo (read here) has implemented the remapping of DTS 5.1 audio since the 2011 models.

Thanks for that link. But I don't believe the response from Onkyo. This the first I have ever heard of the issue and would think if it was in all receiver brands we'd hear more about it.
post #8095 of 9491
I know it seems like the AV is making a 5.1 source 7.1 without your input, but isn't this a good thing if you have a 7.1 setup?
post #8096 of 9491
I did find a couple more links on this issue and Onkyo's response appears accurate. Different decoder types may or may not do this, and the newer Onkyo's do.
post #8097 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Thanks for that link. But I don't believe the response from Onkyo. This the first I have ever heard of the issue and would think if it was in all receiver brands we'd hear more about it.

A few models:

TX-NR709

TX-NR809

TX-NR818
post #8098 of 9491
Hey guys, looks like Onkyo was telling the truth. Check out this link: http://www.dts.com/consumers/sound-technology/home-surround-sound/ask-the-experts.aspx

I think this proves it's a feature, not a bug.

Last FAQ on the page:

"Why does my receiver output 7.1 though my blu-ray is encoded in 5.1/6.1 etc.?
This is probably due to "speaker remapping". Basically, if the AVR provides a 7.1 speaker output and has a DTS-HD decoder, the decoder itself converts the input audio for 7.1 output as necessary. (This is NOT done by Neo:6 or Dolby PLIIz.)"

Edited by freeride - 9/30/13 at 9:57pm
post #8099 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Very interesting and after seeing your proof I checked for myself and indeed get the same info. And I confirmed there is audio coming from the rear surrounds. This is indeed a bug. Appears to only be on DTS MA tracks.


what if you unplug the rears? same thing happens?
post #8100 of 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

what if you unplug the rears? same thing happens?
With a 5.1 setup, the output won't be 7.1 with DTS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion