or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 290

post #8671 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Since you don't have a sub then set them to full band. Better yet run the Audyssey calibration and it will do it for you.


You are right i do not have a sub ...yet.
Did not realize that even with a 2.0 setup Audyssey would be needed.

I will give it a shot.,

Thanks for the input.
post #8672 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Since you don't have a sub then set them to full band. Better yet run the Audyssey calibration and it will do it for you.

+1, but make sure you choose the FULL 8 position calibration and not the QUICK START, 1 position, option.
post #8673 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Since you don't have a sub then set them to full band. Better yet run the Audyssey calibration and it will do it for you.

+1, but make sure you choose the FULL 8 position calibration and not the QUICK START, 1 position, option.

Will do.

Thanks.
post #8674 of 9458
I received my 818 last Thursday and I can't wait to set it up! I have to wait until the Christmas tree comes down, otherwise it would mess up my Audyssey results. I think the is the first time I've ever been excited about taking Christmas decorations down!
post #8675 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

I received my 818 last Thursday and I can't wait to set it up! I have to wait until the Christmas tree comes down, otherwise it would mess up my Audyssey results. I think the is the first time I've ever been excited about taking Christmas decorations down!

Hi Tom,

You don't need to wait, just run it with the decorations and save it in the 818 for next Christmas. Then run another calibration after they come down and you'll have year round Audyssey goodness.

Merry Christmas.
post #8676 of 9458
How do you save different Audyssey set ups in the 818? I thought that running Audyssey would clear the previous set up.
post #8677 of 9458
You can't on the 818
post #8678 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

How do you save different Audyssey set ups in the 818? I thought that running Audyssey would clear the previous set up.

 

That is correct.  But you can save the last Audyssey config if you want to, which can be useful if you re-run Audyssey and for whatever reason you dislike the result and want to revert back to the former calibration.  Follow the procedure below and all AVR settings, including Audyssey, will be saved.

 

 

Store and Recall settings - Onkyo/Integra

 

To STORE:
1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR (not the remote)
2. While still holding Setup, push Enter
3. Unit displays 'Setup store?"
4. Still holding Setup, push Enter again
5. Unit displays "Setup storing'
6. Unit then displays 'Complete'
All your settings are now stored.

 

To RECALL:
1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR
2. While still holding Setup, push Return
3. Unit displays 'Setup recall?'
4. Still holding Setup, push Return again
5. Unit displays 'Setup recalling'
6. Unit then displays 'Complete'
Unit then powers off into standby mode. Switch unit back on, your settings have been restored.

post #8679 of 9458
Thanks! The Cowboys win and I get great advice; what a wonderful day!
post #8680 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

That is correct.  But you can save the last Audyssey config if you want to, which can be useful if you re-run Audyssey and for whatever reason you dislike the result and want to revert back to the former calibration.  Follow the procedure below and all AVR settings, including Audyssey, will be saved.


Store and Recall settings - Onkyo/Integra

To STORE:

1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR (not the remote)

2. While still holding Setup, push Enter

3. Unit displays 'Setup store?"

4. Still holding Setup, push Enter again

5. Unit displays "Setup storing'

6. Unit then displays 'Complete'

All your settings are now stored.

To RECALL:

1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR

2. While still holding Setup, push Return

3. Unit displays 'Setup recall?'

4. Still holding Setup, push Return again

5. Unit displays 'Setup recalling'

6. Unit then displays 'Complete'

Unit then powers off into standby mode. Switch unit back on, your settings have been restored.

Great info! I did not happen to see this in my 818 Manual.

Are there any other undocumented Onkyo tricks that you can share with us? :-)

Brian
post #8681 of 9458

Hi guys... recently received my new 818 and I am trying to figure out how to hook everything up.  Part of my problem is I have a bunch of old equipment with limited inputs and outputs.  Anyway, can anyone tell me how I can hookup my EQ-201 to the 818?  I need a REC (L&R) and a PLAY (L&R) but the 818 does not have these connections.  Thanks for any help!

post #8682 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
 
Great info! I did not happen to see this in my 818 Manual.

Are there any other undocumented Onkyo tricks that you can share with us? :-)

Brian

 

It is an undocumented feature. There are various other button presses that display various things on the front panel display, such as temperature etc.But the one I referred to earlier is the only one I know of that actually does something.

post #8683 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
 

Hi guys... recently received my new 818 and I am trying to figure out how to hook everything up.  Part of my problem is I have a bunch of old equipment with limited inputs and outputs.  Anyway, can anyone tell me how I can hookup my EQ-201 to the 818?  I need a REC (L&R) and a PLAY (L&R) but the 818 does not have these connections.  Thanks for any help!

Well, I guess with the current AV receivers, adding an eq to a system is like trying to figure out how to hook up my 8-track (ha-ha, just kidding).  I guess I’ve pretty much answered my own question since the connections needed do not exist on the back of the 818.  I always thought eqs were kinda cool… would have liked to hook it up for no other reason than for nostalgia… remember that the last time I purchased a receiver was almost 20 years ago!

post #8684 of 9458
There is built in automatic eq SD well as manual 7 band (don't quote me on number of bands)
post #8685 of 9458
Quick question/update re: 818 + XPA-5 setup. Everything sounds great. However, I'm noticing that I no longer can select Pure Audio as an option for listening mode. I can still use Direct, but when I try and select Pure Audio either through cycling through listening modes (doesn't show up at all) or via a discrete remote signal via my Harmony remote, I get "NOT AVAILABLE". Is this normal when using an amp w/the 818 or is something amiss here?
post #8686 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
 

Try turning off Deep Color as that has been known to cause issues with some devices and there is no content available with Deep Color anyway.

thanks primetimeguy, that seemed to do the trick

post #8687 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridian View Post
 

I'm interested in the TX-NR818 more for listening to music. Seen the 2ch power output specs but am wondering if there are any results for more than 2 channels driven simultaneously like 4, 5 or 7. Are there any review web sites that test AVR audio power output thoroughly these days?


Found 5 and 7 channels continuously driven specs for the TX-NR828 here;

 

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr828-av-receiver-test-bench

 

Since the 818 is 7 LBS heavier and has the same max power consumption, I'm guessing its 5/7 channel specs would be similar or better.

post #8688 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridian View Post
 

I'm interested in the TX-NR818 more for listening to music. Seen the 2ch power output specs but am wondering if there are any results for more than 2 channels driven simultaneously like 4, 5 or 7. Are there any review web sites that test AVR audio power output thoroughly these days?


Found 5 and 7 channel continuously driven specs for the TX-NR828 at the Sound and Vision website. Since the 818 is 7 LBS heavier and has the same max power consumption, I'm guessing its 5/7 channel specs would be similar or better.

post #8689 of 9458

OK guys... still trying to get things connected to my 818.  Hooked up my DVD/CD player to the 818 using the coaxial ports on each device... no sound with either a DVD or a CD... what am I missing?  I'm getting audio with the FM receiver and with satellite TV. but not with the DVD/CD player.

post #8690 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
 

OK guys... still trying to get things connected to my 818.  Hooked up my DVD/CD player to the 818 using the coaxial ports on each device... no sound with either a DVD or a CD... what am I missing?  I'm getting audio with the FM receiver and with satellite TV. but not with the DVD/CD player.

Never mind, I found an "analog" and "digital" setting that was not set correctly... got sound now.  However, got another question... if you're watching a movie, what is a typical volume level that you listen to your movie at?

post #8691 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
 

Never mind, I found an "analog" and "digital" setting that was not set correctly... got sound now.  However, got another question... if you're watching a movie, what is a typical volume level that you listen to your movie at?

Typical level will vary by your preference, room, speakers, etc.  Some will listen at 0 and others at -40.  I am typically around -15.  So pick a level that sounds good for you.

post #8692 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Typical level will vary by your preference, room, speakers, etc.  Some will listen at 0 and others at -40.  I am typically around -15.  So pick a level that sounds good for you.
I'd be in tears listening at 0.
post #8693 of 9458

This unit has two taps on the transformer probably of equal ratio as these are cheaper. When the unit requires lower power or when the 4 ohm setting is used the unit maintains the lower voltage tap.

As I stated earlier this amp is not 4 ohm rated but this seems to be a Tx-Nr 818 Booster club and anyone who takes issue with the unit is BAD. This unit is not a good amplifier for a 4 ohm load at its rated power as it only produces about 30-40% of its spec if the 4 ohm setting is used. If you use the high voltage rail with a 4 ohm load you may be fine or if your speakers are a difficult load ie: high phase angles at low impedance frequencies and especially if these frequencies are low. also if you use separates for the fronts for example which does not drop out its dynamics cause its tired the result is a very uneven supply of current to your speakers.  I have discuses this unit with my tech and friends. Short of by-passing the relay via a hardware switch there is no means in which to keep the unit locked to it's high voltage rail, which by the way I strongly advise against doing if you drive nominal 4 ohm loads never mind 7. The best solution would be a software fix but I have yet to find one. Onkyo will be getting no christmas card from me.

post #8694 of 9458
Hi Ryan,

Why not take this over to the Onkyo Support Forum and see if they have any information. Sometimes if enough people have a concern i.e. the 24p bug, they'll issue a software fix.
I might be wrong but I would suspect that many people are not running 4ohm speakers without outboard amps on the 818.

http://forums.onkyousa.com/

I hope that you get this fixed to your satisfaction.

Merry Christmas.
post #8695 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Olinski View Post
 

This unit has two taps on the transformer probably of equal ratio as these are cheaper. When the unit requires lower power or when the 4 ohm setting is used the unit maintains the lower voltage tap.

As I stated earlier this amp is not 4 ohm rated but this seems to be a Tx-Nr 818 Booster club and anyone who takes issue with the unit is BAD. This unit is not a good amplifier for a 4 ohm load at its rated power as it only produces about 30-40% of its spec if the 4 ohm setting is used. If you use the high voltage rail with a 4 ohm load you may be fine or if your speakers are a difficult load ie: high phase angles at low impedance frequencies and especially if these frequencies are low. also if you use separates for the fronts for example which does not drop out its dynamics cause its tired the result is a very uneven supply of current to your speakers.  I have discuses this unit with my tech and friends. Short of by-passing the relay via a hardware switch there is no means in which to keep the unit locked to it's high voltage rail, which by the way I strongly advise against doing if you drive nominal 4 ohm loads never mind 7. The best solution would be a software fix but I have yet to find one. Onkyo will be getting no christmas card from me.

 

That is correct - current limiting is invoked when the unit is switched to 4 ohm mode. Anyone driving 4 ohm speakers should just use the normal 6 ohm mode to avoid this. 

post #8696 of 9458
Current limiting is also engaged at 6 ohm depending on current load. It is just used for a different reason with bad results.
post #8697 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Olinski View Post

Current limiting is also engaged at 6 ohm depending on current load. It is just used for a different reason with bad results.

 

It was a rushed reply but I think you know what I meant. Main point is that the 818 is perfectly happy driving normal 4 ohm nominal loads so there is no need to engage the current-sapping 4 ohm mode (which is only there to help Onkyo meet regulations when testing is done with sine waves and not proper content with its high crest factor).

post #8698 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It was a rushed reply but I think you know what I meant. Main point is that the 818 is perfectly happy driving normal 4 ohm nominal loads so there is no need to engage the current-sapping 4 ohm mode (which is only there to help Onkyo meet regulations when testing is done with sine waves and not proper content with its high crest factor).

While the 818 may well be "perfectly happy" when set for 6 ohms driving 4 ohm speakers, with my present set-up, "I" was not happy with a top panel of the 818 that was virtually too hot to touch.

My front three are NHT Classic 3's (L/R) and a Classic 3 Center. I have Classic 2's and a Absolute Center across the back. I could not find measurements for the center but the L/R are here:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nht-classic-three-loudspeaker-measurements

You will note that they have very low sensitivity, and do touch 4 ohms. Running at 6 ohms, the top of the 818 got extremely hot, almost too hot to touch when watching a film at my customary volume (between -20 and -15, depending on the film). I do cross over at 80 hertz. The rack is open back, has a perforated front door, and I have a good 8-10 inches of space above the 818.

Once I observed that behavior, and researched the actual 3's measurements, as an experiment I switched the 818 to 4 ohms. The 818 no longer runs excessively hot. I understand that in doing do, I am limiting the 818's output, but since I do not feel the need to run the rig at full reference (nor could I with the speakers I have), I do not feel that I am missing anything, sonically.

If I want to get the full capability from the 818, I of course can look at higher sensitivity, less challenging to drive speakers, but my take away is that the amount of heat that the 818 generates in my rig when set to 6 ohms was, is, in my view excessive, and can not be doing good things for the longevity of the 818.
post #8699 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

How do you save different Audyssey set ups in the 818? I thought that running Audyssey would clear the previous set up.

That is correct.  But you can save the last Audyssey config if you want to, which can be useful if you re-run Audyssey and for whatever reason you dislike the result and want to revert back to the former calibration.  Follow the procedure below and all AVR settings, including Audyssey, will be saved.


Store and Recall settings - Onkyo/Integra

To STORE:

1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR (not the remote)

2. While still holding Setup, push Enter

3. Unit displays 'Setup store?"

4. Still holding Setup, push Enter again

5. Unit displays "Setup storing'

6. Unit then displays 'Complete'

All your settings are now stored.

To RECALL:

1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR

2. While still holding Setup, push Return

3. Unit displays 'Setup recall?'

4. Still holding Setup, push Return again

5. Unit displays 'Setup recalling'

6. Unit then displays 'Complete'

Unit then powers off into standby mode. Switch unit back on, your settings have been restored.

Where does a person get a hold of this kind of information? Do you have to be an authorized service tech? An App developer? Some kind of fee?
post #8700 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It was a rushed reply but I think you know what I meant. Main point is that the 818 is perfectly happy driving normal 4 ohm nominal loads so there is no need to engage the current-sapping 4 ohm mode (which is only there to help Onkyo meet regulations when testing is done with sine waves and not proper content with its high crest factor).

While the 818 may well be "perfectly happy" when set for 6 ohms driving 4 ohm speakers, with my present set-up, "I" was not happy with a top panel of the 818 that was virtually too hot to touch.

My front three are NHT Classic 3's (L/R) and a Classic 3 Center. I have Classic 2's and a Absolute Center across the back. I could not find measurements for the center but the L/R are here:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nht-classic-three-loudspeaker-measurements

You will note that they have very low sensitivity, and do touch 4 ohms. Running at 6 ohms, the top of the 818 got extremely hot, almost too hot to touch when watching a film at my customary volume (between -20 and -15, depending on the film). I do cross over at 80 hertz. The rack is open back, has a perforated front door, and I have a good 8-10 inches of space above the 818.

Once I observed that behavior, and researched the actual 3's measurements, as an experiment I switched the 818 to 4 ohms. The 818 no longer runs excessively hot. I understand that in doing do, I am limiting the 818's output, but since I do not feel the need to run the rig at full reference (nor could I with the speakers I have), I do not feel that I am missing anything, sonically.

If I want to get the full capability from the 818, I of course can look at higher sensitivity, less challenging to drive speakers, but my take away is that the amount of heat that the 818 generates in my rig when set to 6 ohms was, is, in my view excessive, and can not be doing good things for the longevity of the 818.

 

Yes, Onkyos do run fearsomely hot.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion