or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 4

post #91 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Outstanding, thanks for this information... this is a huge improvement.

There's even more good news:

The crappy network source control for Zone 2, 3 and 4 are gone.

Seems with the 515 and up, Zone 2 and Zone 3 now have full network controls and menus just like the main zone!
post #92 of 9466
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

There's even more good news:

The crappy network source control for Zone 2, 3 and 4 are gone.

Seems with the 515 and up, Zone 2 and Zone 3 now have full network controls and menus just like the main zone!

I'm not sure I understand this one, perhaps you can elaborate a bit. I'm very interested in the zone 2 capabilities as I will definitely be making use of them. Is Zone 2 still limited to analog sources only?
post #93 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I'm not sure I understand this one, perhaps you can elaborate a bit. I'm very interested in the zone 2 capabilities as I will definitely be making use of them. Is Zone 2 still limited to analog sources only?

Yes analog appears to be the limitation, but the news I am talking about is the #1 complaint I get in my app support emails:

"Why can't I get menus to select songs like I can with the Main Zone?"

Well, now you can:

This is BIG. Especially if you like streaming Spotify, Pandora or DLNA sources to Zones 2 & 3 and are away from the TV.
LL
post #94 of 9466
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Yes analog appears to be the limitation, but the news I am talking about is the #1 complaint I get in my app support emails:

"Why can't I get menus to select songs like I can with the Main Zone?"

Well, now you can:

This is BIG. Especially if you like streaming Spotify, Pandora or DLNA sources to Zones 2 & 3 and are away from the TV.

Interesting. I wonder if Airplay will also be able to be streamed to Zone 2 if and when support arrives.

What is the name of your app?
post #95 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Interesting. I wonder if Airplay will also be able to be streamed to Zone 2 if and when support arrives.

What is the name of your app?

oRemote

I spend lots of time tearing into the network protocol of these things in support of development, this is how I uncover a bunch of stuff. I've also figured out how to control items on the setup page of the receiver via network controls as well.
post #96 of 9466
Oremote

Very very nice
post #97 of 9466
Since I need to 12v trigger my sub (and eventually outboard amplifier), I sure hope a later version of the firmware lets us reassign a zone 2/3 trigger to the main zone. The owners manual online suggests nothing about being able to reassign the trigger outputs.
post #98 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Since I need to 12v trigger my sub (and eventually outboard amplifier), I sure hope a later version of the firmware lets us reassign a zone 2/3 trigger to the main zone. The owners manual online suggests nothing about being able to reassign the trigger outputs.

I doubt very much that there will be FW update to enable the 12v triggers to be assigned to the Main Zone. I had the 805 quite awhile ago and the 12v triggers were the same back then as well.

Bill
post #99 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Since I need to 12v trigger my sub (and eventually outboard amplifier), I sure hope a later version of the firmware lets us reassign a zone 2/3 trigger to the main zone. The owners manual online suggests nothing about being able to reassign the trigger outputs.

You just gotta do some extra button presses of zone 2/3 to trigger the 12v.
post #100 of 9466
Mine should be here Monday or Tuesday. Unfortunately, all of my gear is for a new house and it won't be installed until the following week. To make matters worse, I'm a complete audio noob so not sure how much my feedback or comments will even be helpful.

I just bought:
Definitive Tech Pro Cinema 800 5.1
Panasonic P65VT50
Onkyo TX-NR818

If anyone has a "dummy's guide" to wiring, that would be awesome - like the wire type and size... I know MonoPrice is good - I've gotten tons of my IT-related cabling from them.
post #101 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

You just gotta do some extra button presses of zone 2/3 to trigger the 12v.

Actually it should be one button press to power up Zone 2/3 which activates the 12v triggers. Then one button press to power off Zone 2/3 which should trigger ones amp off. Even though it is just one button press on power up and power down it is still a PITA! I had my Harmony remote programmed so it powered up Zone 2 with my Onkyo 805 when I had it a few years back. I do not recall the steps needed to do this but it wasn't that hard. Either way it is a very poor design that makes using an external amp a PITA.

Maybe one of these days Onkyo will change the design of the 12v triggers on their AVRs. At least provide a menu driven option for AVRs with preouts to assign the 12v triggers to the Main Zone.

Bill
post #102 of 9466
^^^I tried to look in the harmony menus to see if I could add a zone 2 button and I didn't find it anywhere. It has to be in there I would think, maybe I just missed it.
post #103 of 9466
For those of you who have the 818...what's the story with the Sub EQ? Is it the same as the 3009 / Denon 4311, or a ''lesser'' version?
post #104 of 9466
^^^lesser version. It can't EQ 2 subs separately.
post #105 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

I have to say from the start, Onkyo did a hell of a job cutting down the standby power on this device. All measurements were made in watts using a standard Kill-a-Watt device after doing a factory reset on all these devices.

Out of box (Net Off, HDMI RIHD Off):
TX-NR818 Standby 0.0 W
TX-NR818 On 80.0 W (idle, on BD input, nothing playing)
TX-NR609 Standby 0.0 W
TX-NR609 On 112.0 W (idle, on BD input, nothing playing)
HT-RC180 Standby 0.0 W
HT-RC180 On 100.0 W (idle, on BD input, nothing playing) This is basically the same as a TX-NR807

Network Control Enabled:
TX-NR818 Standby 2.2 W
TX-NR609 Standby 29.1 W
HT-RC180 Standby 49.7 W

HDMI RIHD On (enable ARC and pass-thru)
TX-NR818 Standby 7.2 W
TX-NR609 Standby 29.3 W
HT-RC180 Standby 49.9 W

Net and HDMI enabled:
TX-NR818 Standby 8.4 W
TX-NR609 Standby 29.5 W
HT-RC180 Standby 50.1 W

Great work. I have a 180 that I will not use standby on.

If it would not be too much trouble, can you measure HDMI passthough enabled only? I still think 8.4 is high for 24/7.

Thanks,

Rich
post #106 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

^^^I tried to look in the harmony menus to see if I could add a zone 2 button and I didn't find it anywhere. It has to be in there I would think, maybe I just missed it.

As I mentioned earlier I do not recall how I setup my Harmony with the 805. If the Zone 2/3 power up/down codes are not in the Harmony database then I would think you might be able to learn it from the Onkyo remote. But the older Onkyo remotes (before the xxx7 series) are different so it could take more work to setup.

Bill
post #107 of 9466
^^^Ah, maybe that's what you would have to do is the learn function. Makes sense, I didn't think about that.
post #108 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post

For those of you who have the 818...what's the story with the Sub EQ? Is it the same as the 3009 / Denon 4311, or a ''lesser'' version?

The SubEQ feature is not included with the 818. If you only have one sub you are fine but if you have two subs XT32 (without SubEQ) will not set level and delay differences between the two subwoofers IIRC.

Bill
post #109 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Onkyo 818 on sale for only $899.00

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/301262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The link says the deal is expired.

Bill

For those that missed this deal, fumfie has it for only 70 bucks more, and that's quite a bit less than everyone else AFAICT.

http://www.fumfie.com/product/ID103C24/view
post #110 of 9466
Has anyone seen any new 2012 AVR's that are cheaper than the 818 that can do 9.2?

I need a new AVR, and I'd like to get 1 that can do 9.2. The 818 to me in my limited amount of research looks to the best cheapest option so far. Just wondering if anyone's seen any other options.

Thanks.
post #111 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

For those that missed this deal, fumfie has it for only 70 bucks more, and that's quite a bit less than everyone else AFAICT.

http://www.fumfie.com/product/ID103C24/view

Is fumfie an authorized Onkyo dealer? Not the best return policies.

Within 7 days of receiving a shipment you may return any unopened or unused products for a refund less a 15 % restocking fee to cover costs by our processing terminal and our shipping carrier. Restocking fees for accessories vary and will depend on what type of accessory is being returned. Please note that we also have every right to charge any shipping, delivery, and / or intercept fees which occur from our shipping carrier.

Bill
post #112 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Great work. I have a 180 that I will not use standby on.

If it would not be too much trouble, can you measure HDMI passthough enabled only? I still think 8.4 is high for 24/7.

Thanks,

Rich

The HDMI On numbers should cover that. But here is is: 7.2 W
post #113 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The SubEQ feature is not included with the 818. If you only have one sub you are fine but if you have two subs XT32 (without SubEQ) will not set level and delay differences between the two subwoofers IIRC.

Bill

OK, here is the thing...I have two Velo 10DEQ sitting diagonally from each other. Both have their own built-in EQ systems. Do you (or anyone else) think that this would be a problem in terms of SQ with the 818? I know, a very subjective question but any advice / guidance would be appreciated.
post #114 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Is fumfie an authorized Onkyo dealer? Not the best return policies.

Within 7 days of receiving a shipment you may return any unopened or unused products for a refund less a 15 % restocking fee to cover costs by our processing terminal and our shipping carrier. Restocking fees for accessories vary and will depend on what type of accessory is being returned. Please note that we also have every right to charge any shipping, delivery, and / or intercept fees which occur from our shipping carrier.

Bill

Good points.

It's safe to say that if Vann's (being an authorized dealer with an excellent return policy) was willing to sell this for as low as $900 shipped, it's only a matter of time till others follow suit, and probably go even cheaper over time.

Fumfie is a good place to buy, it's just that they're not authorized, and their return policy does kind of suck.
post #115 of 9466
Thread Starter 
I agree. I think we will see $899 by July 4th weekend at the latest from Vanns, Amazon and others. At this point I can probably wait another 3-4 weeks to save $200.
post #116 of 9466
Another nice discovery:

It can read windows shares. Actually, that's *very* nice.
post #117 of 9466
^^^That's pretty cool. Can the 4311 do that?
post #118 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Another nice discovery:

It can read windows shares. Actually, that's *very* nice.

Being computer challenged what is windows shares? If it improves the SQ of ones system I'm in.

Bill
post #119 of 9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post


OK, here is the thing...I have two Velo 10DEQ sitting diagonally from each other. Both have their own built-in EQ systems. Do you (or anyone else) think that this would be a problem in terms of SQ with the 818? I know, a very subjective question but any advice / guidance would be appreciated.

It shouldn't be a problem because you can eq the two subs individually with the built in eq and then run xt32 on top of that.
post #120 of 9466
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Another nice discovery:

It can read windows shares. Actually, that's *very* nice.

Do you know if it's able to play music playlists that are shared via networked iTunes library (I have this with my Synology) or via UPNP for my Logitech Media Server?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion