or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio M3D550KD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio M3D550KD - Page 14

post #391 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonstev View Post

On my 470KD, I find this necessary to keep blooming under control.

Interesting you say this. I have the M3D550KD and I have recently turned Smart Dimming on and now I am seeing much better blacks as well as minimal blooming. I have seen comments about how Smart Dimming causes some issues where the LEDs don't turn on or off as quickly as they should in order to accurately display the source, but so far I have not noticed that or at least it has not been obvious. Are there any other downsides to Smart Dimming?
post #392 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

Interesting you say this. I have the M3D550KD and I have recently turned Smart Dimming on and now I am seeing much better blacks as well as minimal blooming. I have seen comments about how Smart Dimming causes some issues where the LEDs don't turn on or off as quickly as they should in order to accurately display the source, but so far I have not noticed that or at least it has not been obvious. Are there any other downsides to Smart Dimming?

To be clear, I too much prefer to have smart dimming "on" for better blacks and minimal blooming. I cannot say that I am familiar with any negative effects.
post #393 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by burning View Post

I'm kind of interested in the 47" version of this TV. Anyone know if it's available at Costco? I swear I saw a 47" LED 3D TV there for $899 from Vizio.7.gif

If your local Costco has stock it is available, however it is selling out fast also you can order it from the website but its off and on do to quantity
post #394 of 687
Update on Wii lag to M3D470KD (fwiw). I had been playing Guitar Hero on the Wii via composite (480i) cabling routed through my AVR. In-game video lag was 140 ms, much worse than my old TV, a Panasonic plasma, which only had 40 ms in-game lag (using same cable and routing). Recently, i purchased and installed the component Wii cable (480p) and now run the video directly into the TV. In-game video lag is still high, albeit somewhat reduced, at 125 ms. In all cases, audio runs directly from the Wii to the AVR.

Will be getting a PS3 for the kids this Christmas, so hopefully an hdmi connection fares better...I'll keep my fingers crossed. At that point, however, I'll be playing Rocksmith, so I don't know when I can do an apples to apples comparison, but perhaps one of my boys can borrow GH from a friend for testing.
post #395 of 687
I am using an HDMI A/V receiver and would like to be able to hear audio that originates from the M3D550KD (e.g. audio from the internet apps built into the M3D550KD) though the A/V receiver. I understand that Audio Return Channel can acomplish this but am not sure what I need to do in order to get that working. My setup is pretty basic -- all my video sources (DISH DVR and BluRay) plug via HDMI into my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver and then the Onkyo AVR feeds the M3D550KD via a single HDMI cable. How would I get the Audio Return Channel working in this scenario? Thanks!
post #396 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonstev View Post

Update on Wii lag to M3D470KD (fwiw). I had been playing Guitar Hero on the Wii via composite (480i) cabling routed through my AVR. In-game video lag was 140 ms, much worse than my old TV, a Panasonic plasma, which only had 40 ms in-game lag (using same cable and routing). Recently, i purchased and installed the component Wii cable (480p) and now run the video directly into the TV. In-game video lag is still high, albeit somewhat reduced, at 125 ms. In all cases, audio runs directly from the Wii to the AVR.
Will be getting a PS3 for the kids this Christmas, so hopefully an hdmi connection fares better...I'll keep my fingers crossed. At that point, however, I'll be playing Rocksmith, so I don't know when I can do an apples to apples comparison, but perhaps one of my boys can borrow GH from a friend for testing.

It seems to me that you are talking about audio/video sync not video lag. Let me ask you this. Are you talking about how fast the image moves on the screen like panning motions or a race car zipping across the track? Or is this an audio syncing with lips issue?
post #397 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

I am using an HDMI A/V receiver and would like to be able to hear audio that originates from the M3D550KD (e.g. audio from the internet apps built into the M3D550KD) though the A/V receiver. I understand that Audio Return Channel can acomplish this but am not sure what I need to do in order to get that working. My setup is pretty basic -- all my video sources (DISH DVR and BluRay) plug via HDMI into my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver and then the Onkyo AVR feeds the M3D550KD via a single HDMI cable. How would I get the Audio Return Channel working in this scenario? Thanks!

I am trying to figure this out as well.
post #398 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I am trying to figure this out as well.

Since my post, I found this: https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/571/~/what-is-hdmi-1.4-arc-(audio-return-channel)-and-how-do-i-use-it%3F

I'm not at home to try it out now but will do so later.
post #399 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

Since my post, I found this: https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/571/~/what-is-hdmi-1.4-arc-(audio-return-channel)-and-how-do-i-use-it%3F
I'm not at home to try it out now but will do so later.

Thanks I will try this as soon as I get home as well.
post #400 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

Since my post, I found this: https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/571/~/what-is-hdmi-1.4-arc-(audio-return-channel)-and-how-do-i-use-it%3F
I'm not at home to try it out now but will do so later.

Thanks I will try this as soon as I get home as well.
post #401 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Thanks I will try this as soon as I get home as well.

Do you know how to manually check for firmware updates? That's the other thing I have been wondering about.
post #402 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Do you know how to manually check for firmware updates? That's the other thing I have been wondering about.

I've gone through every menu item and option and as far as I can tell, there is not a way to manually check. I did notice the other day that when I turned the set on, it took longer then usual and the Vizio logo on the front panel was blinking, so I'm wondering if that was either a firmware check and/or an update.
post #403 of 687
Hi, I also purchased the Vizio M3D550KD model this year. I planned on using a mounted TV stand to hang my television. However, I decided to use the base that came with the tv instead. Unfortunately, I accidently threw my base away. Are you using the base stand? If not, are you willing to sell it. I called Vizio and currently they don't have any base stands in stock. If you are not using the stand and wish to sell it please contact me back @ earlitawebster@sbcglobal.net
Thanks,
post #404 of 687
Hi, I also purchased the Vizio M3D550KD model this year. I planned on using a mounted TV stand to hang my television. However, I decided to use the base that came with the tv instead. Unfortunately, I accidently threw my base away. Are you using the base stand? If not, are you willing to sell it. I called Vizio and currently they don't have any base stands in stock. If you are not using the stand and wish to sell it please contact me back @ earlitawebster@sbcglobal.net
Thanks,
post #405 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Thanks I will try this as soon as I get home as well.

I have my m3d550kd setup using ARC since my Samsung Soundbar only has 1 HDMI input. I have noticed some audio/video sync issue when watching HD programming through DirecTV. Any ideas why this would happen? I now only use the ARC technology for my PS3 and the smar tv fucntions and have since hooked the DirecTV box up through a digital optical.

Thanks,
Dan
post #406 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

I am using an HDMI A/V receiver and would like to be able to hear audio that originates from the M3D550KD (e.g. audio from the internet apps built into the M3D550KD) though the A/V receiver. I understand that Audio Return Channel can acomplish this but am not sure what I need to do in order to get that working. My setup is pretty basic -- all my video sources (DISH DVR and BluRay) plug via HDMI into my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver and then the Onkyo AVR feeds the M3D550KD via a single HDMI cable. How would I get the Audio Return Channel working in this scenario? Thanks!

I too had the same desire. What I ended up doing was plugging all the hdmi sources into the M3D550KD and send audio out using SPDIF. I went into the menus and instructed that the sound was being handled externally and everything worked. My A/V receiver now only decodes audio sent from the M3D550KD.

The only issue I am researching now is when I return to my cable tv hdmi source from another source, there is no sound. I end up having to unplug and replug the hdmi from the back of the cable box. I don't have this problem with other sources, just the cable box.
post #407 of 687
M3D550KD versus M3D550KDE

For those loving their KD's and wondering about the story on the KDE's, I chatted with Vizio support today to clarify the actual refresh rate of the respective displays. It looks like both displays are native 120 Hz whereas the the KD has the upgraded Smooth Motion Feature which allows you to enable/disable their SPS (Scenes Per Second) technology which is their scanning backlight effect to emulate 240 Hz.

I have the Smooth Motion disabled anyway. I've always considered the additional features to be more of a liability than a help to picture quality because of reliance on the processor to do the job. 120 Hz is divisible by 24 fps and 30 fps, so I'm a happy guy.

Just thought you'd like to have this documented.

- Dave

Quote:
 Kelly: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat, the home of Entertainment Freedom for All.  This is Kelly in South Dakota. Have you ever contacted us before?
 Dave: Yes.
 Kelly: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class customer support and all of our support is U.S. based, and I can assist you with that.
 Dave: Thank you.
 Kelly: One moment while I look into this for you.
 Kelly: The refresh rates on these TVs are 120 and 240 Hz.
 Dave: Actually, that's not the native refresh rates.
 Dave: The 240 Hz on the KD model is "effective" refresh rate via the SPS feature.
 Dave: If you shut off the Smooth Motion Effect, it disables the SPS.  What I want to confirm is what rate is in effect when that's shut down.
 Kelly: 120 Hz with Smooth motion turned off.
 Dave: What about the KDE model?  Is it 60 Hz?  There's no Smooth Motion option on that unit, so is it just native 120 Hz?  It does indicate 120 Hz SPS though.
 Kelly: No,. it's 120.
 Dave: So, both the KD and KDE are 120 Hz displays, but the KD has the Smooth Motion feature to make an effect of 240 Hz.  Is this correct?
 Kelly: That is correct.
 Dave: Thank you for clarifying.  It was a little confusing.
 Dave: One last question:
 Dave: Why was the KD discontinued in favor of the less capable KDE?
 Kelly: Currently we do not have any additional information regarding the production or inventory of this product.
 Dave: Is the KDE the replacement for the KD?
 Kelly: Yes.
 Dave: Will there be a 240 Hz 3D model available?
 Kelly: Not at this time.
 Dave: Very good.  Thank you for the information!
 Kelly: You are welcome! Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
 Dave: That's all for now. I was surprised to find the KD was not actual 240 Hz.  I bought it back in July.  When we found there was a KDE model that replaced it, I was surprised to see it was 120 Hz.  That "SPS" designation is a bit deceiving, but no more than every other manufacturer.
 Dave: Does Vizio actually produce 60 Hz televisions any more?
 Dave: ... or is 120 Hz the minimum?
 Kelly: Currently, no.
 Dave: Please clarify; Are you saying that Vizio makes 120 Hz minimum or there are still 60 Hz models available?
 Kelly: In the market now, they are 120 Hz.
 Dave: That's good to know.  I don't have to worry about buying a 120 Hz system and really getting a 60 Hz when I buy Vizio.
 Kelly: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
 Dave: That's it for now.  Thank you!
 Kelly: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Chat Support!  If you need our assistance again in the future you can contact us by Chat, Email, and Phone service.  That information is found on www.vizio.com.  Have a great day!
 Kelly has disconnected.
post #408 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

Since my post, I found this: https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/571/~/what-is-hdmi-1.4-arc-(audio-return-channel)-and-how-do-i-use-it%3F
I'm not at home to try it out now but will do so later.

Worked like a charm. I wish it was as easy as ARC On/Off but now that I have it working I don't mind it but it should be outlined in the PDF booklet.
post #409 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

It seems to me that you are talking about audio/video sync not video lag. Let me ask you this. Are you talking about how fast the image moves on the screen like panning motions or a race car zipping across the track? Or is this an audio syncing with lips issue?

I'm not sure that what I'm describing can be captured by either of your options.

What I'm describing is the input lag of the unit: the delay between the time the Wii sends the image to the time the TV displays the image. Yes, the audio is somewhat of a control for evidencing this delay, as it has nearly no lag in it's reproduction (0-5 ms). If the Wii sends the audio and video at the same time, why does it take the TV so long to display the video image? In comparison, the audio is reproduced by the AVR almost instantaneously. Vizio claims a response time of 5.5ms, but I'm not seeing anything close to that.

If one plays online multiplayer FPS or RPG, this delay can determine one's level of success. If I am playing on a system whose video is observed 125 ms after it is created against an individual who is playing on a system whose image is observed 40 ms after it's creation, I will be at a severe disadvantage. In practice, my opponent would be shooting at me and I haven't even seen him come around the corner yet. I'd rather be competing against my human opponent, not against my own hardware. Again, I don't play these types of games on the Wii and cannot speak to whether this lag would exist via hdmi from an XBOX or PS3.
Edited by Coonstev - 11/27/12 at 6:42am
post #410 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Worked like a charm. I wish it was as easy as ARC On/Off but now that I have it working I don't mind it but it should be outlined in the PDF booklet.

I tried to set it up last night but it did not work and I was unable to spend more time on it. My AVR (Onkyo TX-NR609) was "discovered" by the M3D550KD so I'm not quite sure what else to check...seems pretty straight forward to set up. Did you need to change anything on your AVR?
post #411 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

I tried to set it up last night but it did not work and I was unable to spend more time on it. My AVR (Onkyo TX-NR609) was "discovered" by the M3D550KD so I'm not quite sure what else to check...seems pretty straight forward to set up. Did you need to change anything on your AVR?
Have you tried the optical out from the TV to your AVR? For Uverse and Blu-ray, I run hdmi directly to the TV and then send the optical out to my Onkyo TX-SR503. The added benefit is that I don't need the receiver do to video switching (this receiver doesn't have hdmi switching capabilities in any event).
post #412 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonstev View Post

Have you tried the optical out from the TV to your AVR? For Uverse and Blu-ray, I run hdmi directly to the TV and then send the optical out to my Onkyo TX-SR503. The added benefit is that I don't need the receiver do to video switching (this receiver doesn't have hdmi switching capabilities in any event).

No, I have not tried optical and I am sure that would work. I prefer to have everything plugged into the AVR and then use one HDMI cable to feed the TV. Just curious -- does the TV's optical output give you true Dolby Digital and the various other multi-channel audio formats such as DTS and Dolby TrueHD? I know from experience that my dad's older Vizio TV's optical port only output stereo.
Edited by am_dew - 11/27/12 at 8:15am
post #413 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

I tried to set it up last night but it did not work and I was unable to spend more time on it. My AVR (Onkyo TX-NR609) was "discovered" by the M3D550KD so I'm not quite sure what else to check...seems pretty straight forward to set up. Did you need to change anything on your AVR?

I have the Onkyo TX-NR515 which is the upgrade from the TX-NR 609 an yes there is some configuration required on the receivers end. You have to make sure your receiver is set up in ARC mode but yet again not as simple as ARC On/Off.
post #414 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonstev View Post

Have you tried the optical out from the TV to your AVR? For Uverse and Blu-ray, I run hdmi directly to the TV and then send the optical out to my Onkyo TX-SR503. The added benefit is that I don't need the receiver do to video switching (this receiver doesn't have hdmi switching capabilities in any event).

Him using the optical out from the TV goes against the whole reason why you would want to use your ARC. One cable does all, you know.
post #415 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonstev View Post

I'm not sure that what I'm describing can be captured by either of your options.
What I'm describing is the input lag of the unit: the delay between the time the Wii sends the image to the time the TV displays the image. Yes, the audio is somewhat of a control for evidencing this delay, as it has nearly no lag in it's reproduction (0-5 ms). If the Wii sends the audio and video at the same time, why does it take the TV so long to display the video image? In comparison, the audio is reproduced by the AVR almost instantaneously. Vizio claims a response time of 5.5ms, but I'm not seeing anything close to that.
If one plays online multiplayer FPS or RPG, this delay can determine one's level of success. If I am playing on a system whose video is observed 125 ms after it is created against an individual who is playing on a system whose image is observed 40 ms after it's creation, I will be at a severe disadvantage. In practice, my opponent would be shooting at me and I haven't even seen him come around the corner yet. I'd rather be competing against my human opponent, not against my own hardware. Again, I don't play these types of games on the Wii and cannot speak to whether this lag would exist via hdmi from an XBOX or PS3.

I have asked several times, this will help me help you with this issue. What are you using to measure the delay in the signal from your device to your TV? I play multiplayer games online and victory is mine for the most part. There was a time when I would not play on LCD tech TVs do to the delay. Nowadays that delay is minimal.
post #416 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

I tried to set it up last night but it did not work and I was unable to spend more time on it. My AVR (Onkyo TX-NR609) was "discovered" by the M3D550KD so I'm not quite sure what else to check...seems pretty straight forward to set up. Did you need to change anything on your AVR?

One thing to note now my receiver defaults to TV/CD when I power off and turn it back on. I rarely watch the TV/CD input and this is a issue I must fix. Does yours do such as well? Let me know after you get it all set and working.
post #417 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

One thing to note now my receiver defaults to TV/CD when I power off and turn it back on. I rarely watch the TV/CD input and this is a issue I must fix. Does yours do such as well? Let me know after you get it all set and working.

I use a Logitech Harmony remote to auto start everything up, switch to the proper input, etc. but once I get the ARC working, I will let you know.
post #418 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

I use a Logitech Harmony remote to auto start everything up, switch to the proper input, etc. but once I get the ARC working, I will let you know.

That's my problem I use my Harmony too, I read something that mentioned the receiver well default to TV/CD if ARC is in Auto. I am hopping I can fix the so I can use my Harmony in peace and "harmony".
Edited by PlayNice - 11/27/12 at 12:15pm
post #419 of 687
I will have to see what happens when I get it working but it seems that the last item in my "Watch TV" sequence below for my Harmony should take care of that issue.
  1. Dish Network PVR is on
  2. Vizio TV is on
  3. Onkyo AVR is on
  4. Other All other devices are off
  5. Dish Network PVR is set to "SD"
  6. Vizio TV is set to "HDMI 1"
  7. Onkyo AVR is set to "CBL/SAT"
post #420 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

I will have to see what happens when I get it working but it seems that the last item in my "Watch TV" sequence below for my Harmony should take care of that issue.
  1. Dish Network PVR is on
  2. Vizio TV is on
  3. Onkyo AVR is on
  4. Other All other devices are off
  5. Dish Network PVR is set to "SD"
  6. Vizio TV is set to "HDMI 1"
  7. Onkyo AVR is set to "CBL/SAT"

It's not a remote issue it's the receiver I will look more into this only discovered the error this morning before work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio M3D550KD