or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio M3D550KD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio M3D550KD - Page 18

post #511 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Yes I saw one tonight, don't know what all was updated.

what do you mean you saw one tonight? how exactly do you see the update? i have been trying to figure this out for a while. can we manually check or is it auto?
post #512 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

what do you mean you saw one tonight? how exactly do you see the update? i have been trying to figure this out for a while. can we manually check or is it auto?

If your Vizio is working correctly and is connected to the internet, it should download the update automatically, or at least notify you that one is ready. Sometimes the updates are only for certain regions (N. America for example) so one may not be available for your particular model/region. There should be somewhere in Setup where you can check your firmware version and then go to the Vizio site and see if there is one available for your particular model.
post #513 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Yes I saw one tonight, don't know what all was updated.

what do you mean you saw one tonight? how exactly do you see the update? i have been trying to figure this out for a while. can we manually check or is it auto?

I saw one when I unplugged my tv and then plugged it back in. I was looking at moving my mount when I did this and was surprised to see the update. I like you had been wondering how to force an update. I hadn't seen a firmware update before but I have only had the set for a month or so.
post #514 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

I saw one when I unplugged my tv and then plugged it back in. I was looking at moving my mount when I did this and was surprised to see the update. I like you had been wondering how to force an update. I hadn't seen a firmware update before but I have only had the set for a month or so.

Did it actually say it was performing a firmware update and what've version firmware are you now on?
post #515 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Did it actually say it was performing a firmware update and what've version firmware are you now on?

It said it was updating the firmware when I turned it on. I don't have the tv in front of me right now so I can't check the version. Will try to remember to check it tomorrow.
post #516 of 687
http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-65%E2%80%9D-Class-(65.00%22-Diag.)-Razor-LED%E2%84%A2-Smart-TV-with-Theater-3D%C2%AE.product.100019505.html

is the above link the same tv, but 65" as the M3D550KD? After reading this, doing some homework, and knowing what I know about technology I would want the M3D550KD instead of what is replacing it... Thanks!
post #517 of 687
About to return my M3D470KD. It looks very nice but had to turn off a number of 'features' to make the picture look as good as it does. Blacks are nice but there is some flash lighting in the corners. The real issue with the set, and reason I am returning it, is the vertical banding. It shows up on the left side of the screen, just off center, and is noticeable during football games when they pan the camera down field and during some xbox games. Once I saw the banding I can't not see it.

It looks great compared to my old Hitachi rear proj. from 2004. What wouldn't really. smile.gif Otherwise, the TV has low level speakers and the 'Smart' part of the system is really bad. Apps are slow and many are unreasonable to use. Luckily I have a Apple Mini, TiVo and AppleTV attached so that really isn't an issue. The banding and Vizio Customer service scares me for what will come in the future.

I am hoping I am not making a mistake as my family likes it. I am looking at the Panasonic TC-L47ET5 which has similar specs but seems more loved by Amazon users and Consumer Reports.

Thoughts before I do the change?
post #518 of 687
I would consider a Panasonic Plasma once you are in that price range.... The only reason I started looking at this line was for the passive 3D. I have yet to see a better picture, response time, refresh rate, etc. than what I see on my Panasonic Plasma.... Blurays are amazing on it, games are great!!! I will play my PS3 while my gf's kids play their PS3 downstairs on the LED... The same game looks totally different to me on my plasma.... If Panasonic brings passive 3D to their plasma line up, then I won't ever look at LED/LCD again...
post #519 of 687
So I just got this set and I love it. Took me a night to mess with settings but got it how I like it. Picture looks great and the gaming I have done has been lag free.

I want to watch a 3D movie using my gaming laptop connected through HDMI. I have a Nvidia GTX560m card. Whenever I hook it up, the 3D mode in the TV settings is greyed out and won't let me select it to change it into 3D mode.

Can anyone help me fix this please?

Thanks
post #520 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousdoug View Post

If Panasonic brings passive 3D to their plasma line up, then I won't ever look at LED/LCD again...

same here
post #521 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

It said it was updating the firmware when I turned it on. I don't have the tv in front of me right now so I can't check the version. Will try to remember to check it tomorrow.

What's the version of firmware that you are currently running please...
post #522 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

It said it was updating the firmware when I turned it on. I don't have the tv in front of me right now so I can't check the version. Will try to remember to check it tomorrow.

What's the version of firmware that you are currently running please...

I went under help and then system. It says the version is 3.12.0 but I don't know if that is the firmware version. Do you know if there is another place to check?
post #523 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

I went under help and then system. It says the version is 3.12.0 but I don't know if that is the firmware version. Do you know if there is another place to check?

Mine says 2.37.5 I need to figure out how to upgrade mine ASAP. Are you using wifi or a wired connection?
Edited by PlayNice - 1/5/13 at 3:34pm
post #524 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

I went under help and then system. It says the version is 3.12.0 but I don't know if that is the firmware version. Do you know if there is another place to check?

Do you have the M3D550KD or M3D550KDE?
post #525 of 687
I have the M3D550KD that uses a wired connection and Help -> System Info shows version 2.37.3
post #526 of 687
Thanks DeviousDoug. Plasmas won't work as the tv sits next to a bay window and I think my kids would be upset as they watch tv in afternoons. I am leaning toward the Panasonic ET5 OR Samsung 6550. I liked the Vizio other than the banding issue and the smart dimming. Smart Dimming was horrible on Jimmy Fallon's curtains during the beginning of his show really noticeable but were useful for other shows. The system was really sluggish. and the apps were Very slow even on a wired 10Mb connection.

Anyone's recommendation on next tv would be appreciated! biggrin.gif
post #527 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

I have the M3D550KD that uses a wired connection and Help -> System Info shows version 2.37.3

My M3D550KD says 2.37.5 I use wireless. I read somewhere what try are rolling this firmware update out in phases based on serial numbers of the sets. I want mine to get updated to see if it improves picture quality.
post #528 of 687
My M3D550KD shows version 2.36.8 and uses a wireless connection.
post #529 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggers View Post

My M3D550KD shows version 2.36.8 and uses a wireless connection.

Now I am baffled, three people with three of the same TV's and yet three different firmware versions.
post #530 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Do you have the M3D550KD or M3D550KDE?

M3D550KD
post #531 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Now I am baffled, three people with three of the same TV's and yet three different firmware versions.

It's a Vizio, and unfortunately that's to be expected, unless the firmware updates are specific for certain geographical regions.
post #532 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousdoug View Post

http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-65%E2%80%9D-Class-(65.00%22-Diag.)-Razor-LED%E2%84%A2-Smart-TV-with-Theater-3D%C2%AE.product.100019505.html
is the above link the same tv, but 65" as the M3D550KD? After reading this, doing some homework, and knowing what I know about technology I would want the M3D550KD instead of what is replacing it... Thanks!

If you read the review posted on the Costco site, some guy claims he's had this tv over a year as of November 2012. If he didn't get that wrong, then this TV has been on the market since 2011... hardly a 2013 replacement.
post #533 of 687
Has anyone had a good chance to compare the 55" KDE vs the M550VSE? The 3D means nothing to me, so if the overall picture quality is essentially the same, then the VSE looks more attractive.

Just wondering if the defeatured KDE is now basically a VSE with passive 3D. Vizio's specs don't show much difference, the KDE has bluetooth and a 4th HDMI port.

But they also show that the KDE uses a LOT more power. 108 watts vs 68 watts. Typo or something to do with a huge difference between the sets?
Edited by Tom_Bombadil - 1/6/13 at 4:27pm
post #534 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyDan View Post

Thanks DeviousDoug. Plasmas won't work as the tv sits next to a bay window and I think my kids would be upset as they watch tv in afternoons. I am leaning toward the Panasonic ET5 OR Samsung 6550. I liked the Vizio other than the banding issue and the smart dimming. Smart Dimming was horrible on Jimmy Fallon's curtains during the beginning of his show really noticeable but were useful for other shows. The system was really sluggish. and the apps were Very slow even on a wired 10Mb connection.
Anyone's recommendation on next tv would be appreciated! biggrin.gif

I understand totally... My gf thinks I'm crazy when I say the sliding glass doors and all windows must be tinted and thick curtains be put up to completely darken the room, ha ha....
post #535 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post

If you read the review posted on the Costco site, some guy claims he's had this tv over a year as of November 2012. If he didn't get that wrong, then this TV has been on the market since 2011... hardly a 2013 replacement.

Thanks, I saw the review, but I also know the average person shopping TVs doesn't realize they are replaced so quickly... I have seen reviews for products just released and people claiming to have them for multiple years... The average person will think this 65" Vizio is pretty much the same as what they purchased a while back... I was hoping it had the same features (or better) as I wouldn't mind spending the extra to get the larger screen, Costco warranty, and quality of the now harder to find set... The best I could find was close to $1200, and it wasn't at Costco getting the bonus warranty included...
post #536 of 687
Several of Costco's (and Best Buys) customer reviews are based on the wrong sets. I've read reviews on 60" sets which were based on completely different 47" sets. There is very little cleanup done on those reviews. I flag them from time to time as being totally off target and misleading.
post #537 of 687
exactly why I asked if anyone knew anything about that 65" I linked to... It really wouldn't be a bad buy if it shares the same quality (from what people are saying about the m3d550kd) as the set mentioned all over this thread and the rest of the internet... I also found this by searching a bit this am: http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.E223803.html?item=E223803&ref=GAS&tpl=detail&cm_ven=GOOGLESHOPPINGFEED&cm_cat=Electronics&cm_pla=Televisions&cm_ite=E223803-000-000&adtype=pla

link is for a 55" toshiba with passive 3d for 1300... figured that falled right around the same price range...

I still want to know more about the 65" as there isn't a model number that I could find for it on Costco's site...
post #538 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousdoug View Post

http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-65%E2%80%9D-Class-(65.00%22-Diag.)-Razor-LED%E2%84%A2-Smart-TV-with-Theater-3D%C2%AE.product.100019505.html
is the above link the same tv, but 65" as the M3D550KD? After reading this, doing some homework, and knowing what I know about technology I would want the M3D550KD instead of what is replacing it... Thanks!

This is almost certainly the Vizio M3D651SV

Look at this link from Vizio and compare:
http://store.vizio.com/m3d651sv.html

Although occasionally companies do produce special models for big box stores, which omit a feature or two.
post #539 of 687
I was kind of thinking the same thing, which I have seen some decent reviews for that model as well... I always like to ask if there isn't a model number sitting there though...
post #540 of 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyDan View Post

Thanks DeviousDoug. Plasmas won't work as the tv sits next to a bay window and I think my kids would be upset as they watch tv in afternoons. I am leaning toward the Panasonic ET5 OR Samsung 6550. I liked the Vizio other than the banding issue and the smart dimming. Smart Dimming was horrible on Jimmy Fallon's curtains during the beginning of his show really noticeable but were useful for other shows. The system was really sluggish. and the apps were Very slow even on a wired 10Mb connection.
Anyone's recommendation on next tv would be appreciated! biggrin.gif

Panasonic vt50 plasma.... hands down the best picture. Its at best buy on sale for 1599.99 for 55 inch. Stay away fron sonys 750 series. 3 sers and one had vertical line and bleeding on all. If your price range is lower ut50 panny or PS BEST BUY IS NOW SELLING VIZIO! THEY MAY NOT BE ON DISPLAY BUT THERE PACKED IN THE BACK. Best buys vs Costco price match may help any future purchasers. Best buys warranty is more expensive bit they will fix these Vizio sets plagued with no customer service.
Edited by drugsrbadmmmk - 1/9/13 at 3:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio M3D550KD