or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › Onkyo HT-S7409 THX is VERY QUIET
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo HT-S7409 THX is VERY QUIET

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello -

I just purchased this model by Onkyo.

I have everything hooked up with HDMI cables and while watching anything, blu ray, xbox 360, tv, the THX settings are ridiculously quiet. I used the audessy automatic calibration and I know that I can manualy change each speaker level, but the Dolby setting is WAY louder/better sounding. I am totally confused on which settings to use for what input. Netflix streaming doesn't give the Dolby option only but gives "PLII" and "Stereo all channels". Which settings should I be using for Blu Ray, Xbox 360 and Hdtv broadcast? Also, any help as to why the THX settings seem to be at such an insufficient volume? I have to crank it up to 80 to have a mediocre sound coming out.

Thanks for the help.
post #2 of 7
You should be able to change the level of each input from the main menu
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjbus View Post

You should be able to change the level of each input from the main menu

I just thought that the audessey program would calibrate everthing better than I could. Has anyone else had experience with the audessey calibration making things too quiet? It has the subwoofer down to -9db. The sub is barely even noticeable at this level even when the volume is at 70. When I crank the subwoofer up to +5db, then it is substatial. I know the audessey is basing all calibrations around being at reference level which is like volume at 82, but it seems like it is still too conservative to really get the best experience. Seems kind of weird running the volume at past 70 to be able to enjoy anything.
post #4 of 7
Audassey calibrated the speakers for distance and level at a specific decibel level, you sometimes have to change the input levels of the individual components like bluray, tv, ect. From the audio menu in the onkyo
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjbus View Post

Audassey calibrated the speakers for distance and level at a specific decibel level, you sometimes have to change the input levels of the individual components like bluray, tv, ect. From the audio menu in the onkyo

Do you mean change each speaker db level? I turned up the fronts and centers to +5db and it does make it louder, however I' thinking you are talking about a differnt way to increase the sound level.

I searched everywhere trying to find an option to increase each input level (BD, Tv, etc) but couldn't find anything. The only thing I'm finding to make it louder is the individual speaker db levels, which is what audessey calibrated. It seems not right to change this. I've read that its not good to keep a speaker level above 0db.

Can someone please chime in?
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

I searched everywhere trying to find an option to increase each input level (BD, Tv, etc) but couldn't find anything. The only thing I'm finding to make it louder is the individual speaker db levels, which is what audessey calibrated. It seems not right to change this. I've read that its not good to keep a speaker level above 0db.

Can someone please chime in?

Hi Testosterone, "IntelliVolume" can set individual input levels which is found under "Source Setup" Menu.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Testosterone, "IntelliVolume" can set individual input levels which is found under "Source Setup" Menu.

Awesome, that was it, thank you! Makes a huge difference in volume. Is it ok to turn the intellivolume to +10db? Is it detrimental in any way?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater In A Box
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › Onkyo HT-S7409 THX is VERY QUIET