or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Calibration help for a newbie with Calman v4 DIY and i1 Display Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calibration help for a newbie with Calman v4 DIY and i1 Display Pro

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I've just purchased Calman v4 and i1 Display Pro. My ST50 arrives tomorrow and I am really excited to start my first calibration. Can someone please tell me if I will need to get into the service menu to calibrate the ST50 properly with Calman and i1 Display Pro? Also I see that Calman can control some displays over tcp/ip. Is ST50 one of these displays?

By the way I have tried my colorimeter with ColorHCFR but it did not work for some reason. I was getting a device not connected error even after I copy the EyeOne.dll. Actually even i1 Diagnostics Tool cannot detect the device. But the monitor calibration software in the disc seems to detect the device just fine. Is it possible that the colorimeter is broken?

Thanks,
Yenal
post #2 of 25
Unfortunately ST50 is not supporting any type of DDC from Ethernet or RS-232. You have to do it manually.
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

I've just purchased Calman v4 and i1 Display Pro. My ST50 arrives tomorrow and I am really excited to start my first calibration. Can someone please tell me if I will need to get into the service menu to calibrate the ST50 properly with Calman and i1 Display Pro? Also I see that Calman can control some displays over tcp/ip. Is ST50 one of these displays?

By the way I have tried my colorimeter with ColorHCFR but it did not work for some reason. I was getting a device not connected error even after I copy the EyeOne.dll. Actually even i1 Diagnostics Tool cannot detect the device. But the monitor calibration software in the disc seems to detect the device just fine. Is it possible that the colorimeter is broken?

Thanks,
Yenal

If you want to calibrate Cinema mode you will need to access the service menu, otherwise calibratiing custom requires no service menu access. Just fyi you should probably wait about 150 hours or so before calibrating. Your greyscale will most likely change between now and then.
post #4 of 25
As a new calibrator I'd think he'd want to start using his equipment and learning ASAP. My suggestion is to calibrate now, 20 hours, 30 hours, etc........
post #5 of 25
You should wait until 150-200 hrs to start calibration....The panel is to new to keep putting up the menu screen constantly.Many have claimed to get stubborn IR from the TV's Menu screen when new.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

You should wait until 150-200 hrs to start calibration....The panel is to new to keep putting up the menu screen constantly.Many have claimed to get stubborn IR from the TV's Menu screen when new.

I've had my VT50 with AVS HD 709 windows for hours with no IR problem.
I started the day I got it.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

As a new calibrator I'd think he'd want to start using his equipment and learning ASAP. My suggestion is to calibrate now, 20 hours, 30 hours, etc........

True practice makes perfect I was just really trying to point out the panel will change over the first 100 to 200 hours.
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

I've had my VT50 with AVS HD 709 windows for hours with no IR problem.
I started the day I got it.

We've got some conflicting answers here I really would like to start calibrating right away but I see the point with IR. I did not see any messages about why the i1 does not work with ColorHCFR. I hope the meter is not broken.

Thanks everyone.
post #9 of 25
The Display Pro is not supported in the original version of HCFR. The new HCFR fork supports it, but uses the Argyl CMS drivers, not xrites.

Its strange that diagnostics does not detect the meter but it works with the monitor calibration software. I have no ideas on what is wrong here.
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Is it possible that this meter is locked to the i1 profiler software it came with? SpectraCal still did not send me my license key. I will try with Calman to see if it detects the meter. By the way the distance between the meter and the weight on the USB cable is very short. Is that how this meter is set up?
post #11 of 25
Greetings

Calman works in simulated mode until you put in the license key. IT will not allow you to hook up a meter without it.

regards
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

Calman works in simulated mode until you put in the license key. IT will not allow you to hook up a meter without it.

regards

I know. I already purchased the software. It's just that they did not send me my license key yet.
post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hello guys,

Apparently there is nothing wrong with the meter. It worked just fine with Calman. I have just finished my first calibration. I now realize that I should have gone with at least GT50 because there was not much calibration options with ST50. Can someone please tell me how these numbers look? Also is there a better way to export results than the way I did. I basically printed the workflow screen to a PDF printer.

-Yenal

 

Post-Cal Capture.pdf 77.873046875k . file
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

By the way the distance between the meter and the weight on the USB cable is very short. Is that how this meter is set up?

The weight can slide along the length of the cable, the weight has a button on it, hold the button while you slide the weight where you need it to be.

Jason
post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

The weight can slide along the length of the cable, the weight has a button on it, hold the button while you slide the weight where you need it to be.

Jason

I feel stupid now I taped the thing on the TV.
post #16 of 25
No reason to feel like that, we all overlook the obvious from time to time.

Jason
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Any comments on my calibration results?
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

Any comments on my calibration results?

Looks like your grayscale could be a little tighter. The gamut looks solid.
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Looks like your grayscale could be a little tighter. The gamut looks solid.

Shall we say I did a decent job for a first time calibrator? I want to calibrate my 55" Sony NX720 now
post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
By the way I kinda feel like I wasted my money on Calman v4 DIY. It's not that it's a bad software. Actually it's pretty good. But I guess I would have got the same results with ColorHCFR if it worked with my meter.
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

By the way I kinda feel like I wasted my money on Calman v4 DIY. It's not that it's a bad software. Actually it's pretty good. But I guess I would have got the same results with ColorHCFR if it worked with my meter.

You can get the same results x,y,Y numbers and a pad of paper or an excel spreadsheet. I started with using HCFR, and I did some calibrations with nothing but software that dumped the x,y,Y values from a spyder2.

Once you start trying to do more advanced things CalMAN really does start to shine. Also sometime this summer CalMAN 5 will be out. It's a significant refinement of the product and will be a free upgrade to those who purchased in the last year.
post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

You can get the same results x,y,Y numbers and a pad of paper or an excel spreadsheet. I started with using HCFR, and I did some calibrations with nothing but software that dumped the x,y,Y values from a spyder2.

Once you start trying to do more advanced things CalMAN really does start to shine. Also sometime this summer CalMAN 5 will be out. It's a significant refinement of the product and will be a free upgrade to those who purchased in the last year.

I see what you're saying but I am just a hobbyist. I am actually excited to calibrate the NX720 because it has way more calibration options. The ST50 was really limited in calibration options. But the picture quality in ST50 is unbelievable. By the way I still don't understand why i1 diagnostics tool does not work with this meter.
post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

You can get the same results x,y,Y numbers and a pad of paper or an excel spreadsheet. I started with using HCFR, and I did some calibrations with nothing but software that dumped the x,y,Y values from a spyder2.

Once you start trying to do more advanced things CalMAN really does start to shine. Also sometime this summer CalMAN 5 will be out. It's a significant refinement of the product and will be a free upgrade to those who purchased in the last year.

By the way I just realized that you're the lead developer of Calman. I am also a software developer and I did not mean to disrespect. Since I was so unfamiliar with the calibration process I thought I can save some time by going with a professional software. Actually as a matter of fact it saved me some time because SpectraCal customer support was super helpful.

- Yenal
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

You can get the same results x,y,Y numbers and a pad of paper or an excel spreadsheet. I started with using HCFR, and I did some calibrations with nothing but software that dumped the x,y,Y values from a spyder2.

Once you start trying to do more advanced things CalMAN really does start to shine. Also sometime this summer CalMAN 5 will be out. It's a significant refinement of the product and will be a free upgrade to those who purchased in the last year.

Oh yes the S2xyY project in 2005 I remember that. Kind of the start for the hardware support that is in CalMAN 2/3/4 and now 5.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

Actually as a matter of fact it saved me some time because SpectraCal customer support was super helpful.

- Yenal

Thank you, we do try to provide the best support system for all levels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Calibration help for a newbie with Calman v4 DIY and i1 Display Pro