or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Advice for first time calibration
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice for first time calibration

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I've purchased a new Panasonic ST50 Plasma screen TV which i'm waiting to arrive instore and am looking to calibrate this display so that i can get the best picture out of it.

I also have a Samsung 32 Inch LCD which i wouldn't mind getting a better picture out of.

I am wondering what is a good entry level calibration hardware/software package for myself which is easy to use and which can produce a professionally calibrated picture.

Primarily i went to get the best picture possible for playing Xbox 360 games on these displays.

Price wise i was thinking of spending $200 or there abouts... I'd spend more if it was worth it though...

Thanks.
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMX23 View Post

I've purchased a new Panasonic ST50 Plasma screen TV which i'm waiting to arrive instore and am looking to calibrate this display so that i can get the best picture out of it.

I also have a Samsung 32 Inch LCD which i wouldn't mind getting a better picture out of.

I am wondering what is a good entry level calibration hardware/software package for myself which is easy to use and which can produce a professionally calibrated picture.

Primarily i went to get the best picture possible for playing Xbox 360 games on these displays.

Price wise i was thinking of spending $200 or there abouts... I'd spend more if it was worth it though...

Thanks.

i1pro and calman diy would be a good combo, check spectracal website. That package might be out of your price range but they have a new rental program that might suit you needs.
post #3 of 10
+1
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

i1pro and calman diy would be a good combo, check spectracal website. That package might be out of your price range but they have a new rental program that might suit you needs.


There is a Entry level kit for $230 or a Intermediate Kit for $400...

I'm interested in purchasing a kit rather than renting.

Is the intermediate kit pretty solid? If so i'd be willing to pay $400 if it's a quality kit...

Is it much better than the Entry level kit...?
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
http://store.spectracal.com/i1pro-ca...ental-kit.html - Is this the kit you we're talking about chunon?

This kit is $1100 which is way over my budget but $200 for renting would seem suitable as i only would calibrate two displays on a one off basis.

Would it be better for me to rent this kit and do a one off calibration for the 50ST50 and my 32" Samsung LCD? or would it be better if i bought a cheaper kit?

After i calibrate the displays if i would need to tweak settings in the future is my only concern with renting...
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Little help...

I'm a total noob at this
post #7 of 10
Given the fairly steep learning curve I would not recommend renting anything until you get more familiar with the basics. The best value colorimeter out there right now in my opinion is the x-rite display3 (~$250). I can't recommend either of the most common commercial software packages since I haven't used them. You can get very good results with the D3 and free software, the commercial software will save you some time and is better at guiding you through the calibration flow than the free option (plus they have pretty reporting options).
post #8 of 10
I was refering to the intermediate kit for $395, i went with the beginner kit and although I learned alot the meter is not very accurate.
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
http://www.chromapure.com/products-d3.asp - So i can pick up the X-Rite Display 3 at $250 and some free software.

Or

The intermediate kit which comes with calibration software for $400

http://store.spectracal.com/consumer...libration.html


The OEM i1Display with The Calman DIY Software looks like the better option to me anyway...


What are people's opinions on the OEM i1Display Color Meter?
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMX23 View Post

http://www.chromapure.com/products-d3.asp - So i can pick up the X-Rite Display 3 at $250 and some free software.

Or

The intermediate kit which comes with calibration software for $400

http://store.spectracal.com/consumer...libration.html


The OEM i1Display with The Calman DIY Software looks like the better option to me anyway...


What are people's opinions on the OEM i1Display Color Meter?

The i1display3 is a colorimeter. You may want to take a read here before you purchase anything.
http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-cali...-stim-devices/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Advice for first time calibration