or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Absolutely LOVE my Chase Home Theater Speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Absolutely LOVE my Chase Home Theater Speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #1 of 133
Thread Starter 

I know some folks on this forum have something against CHT, although from my research those that do never even owned them, but I could not be happier with my Chase Home Theater.

I got 5 SHO-10's, Dual VS-18.1's with the Dayton Amp, Denon 4311, Oppo BDP-93, and a Sharp 60" LED.

This thing absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your crazy not to check out Chase!!!!!!!

Thank you for all the help on this Forum, it helped tremendously.

post #2 of 133
good for you...
post #3 of 133
Need a pic of your setup!
post #4 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

Need a pic of your setup!

Agreed!

Edit: I'd also like to hear more specifics about your dealings with chase (time from order to delivery, the finish on the speakers, dealings with the chase staff, etc...). Thanks!
post #5 of 133
Pics or it didn't happen!
post #6 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post

I got 5 SHO-10's, Dual VS-18.1's with the Dayton Amp, Denon 4311, Oppo BDP-93, and a Sharp 60" LED.

Congratulations. That's a very nice setup you have there.
post #7 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Agreed!

Edit: I'd also like to hear more specifics about your dealings with chase (time from order to delivery, the finish on the speakers, dealings with the chase staff, etc...). Thanks!

Because there are complaints against Elemental Designs?

So is the issue with eD mainly about the wait time?
post #8 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post

I know some folks on this forum have something against CHT, although from my research those that do never even owned them, but I could not be happier with my Chase Home Theater.

I got 5 SHO-10's, Dual VS-18.1's with the Dayton Amp, Denon 4311, Oppo BDP-93, and a Sharp 60" LED.

This thing absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your crazy not to check out Chase!!!!!!!

Thank you for all the help on this Forum, it helped tremendously.

Congrats. I've heard a lot of great things about the SHO-10. And I think they look great. Enjoy. What have you compared them to?
post #9 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Because there are complaints against Elemental Designs?

So is the issue with eD mainly about the wait time?

Honestly, yes. From what I've read, eD has some fantastic speakers, just a lot of issues with the company itself. Chase and the Sho-10's are one of the alternatives that I'm considering.
post #10 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Honestly, yes. From what I've read, eD has some fantastic speakers, just a lot of issues with the company itself. Chase and the Sho-10's are one of the alternatives that I'm considering.

If it's just the wait time, I think it might be worth the wait, especially if the demand has significantly increased. But if it's quality issues, that is absolutely unacceptable.

I certainly see the allure of the eD-c12 offering the same B&C DE250 driver as the $6,000 GedLee Abbey speakers!
post #11 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

If it's just the wait time, I think it might be worth the wait, especially if the demand has significantly increased. But if it's quality issues, that is absolutely unacceptable.

I certainly see the allure of the eD-c12 offering the same B&C DE250 driver as the $6,000 GedLee Abbey speakers!

Well, it's a quality issue in the sense that if anything goes wrong, what will happen? There are a lot of stories about quality issues and eD's response in the sub forum which make me nervous. The speakers themselves seem pretty solid, though. But, regardless, I would consider Chase as well. That's why I'm glad that the OP is happy and I'd like to hear his total experience with Chase (and see some pictures!).

I think that I should make it clear, I'm not here to bash eD. I've never had any dealings with them. I just want to hear from people who have the speakers that I'm considering.
post #12 of 133
The SHO-10s look to be great speakers for the price. They are definitely worthy of looking into.

The main knock about CHT is that the customer service hasn't been as supportive as some of the other alternatives, and some have had bad experiences with the owner.

Other than that, I think they're absolutely worth looking into.
post #13 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I'm in the same boat as you.

I've been looking at GedLee Abbey, 3-Pi, eD-c12 (all 3 offers the BC DE250 tweeter), and the SHO-10.

The 3-Pi offers the same DE250 tweeter as the $6k Abbey and the AE TD12S woofer (kind of similar to the custom AE TD12H woofer in the $16K Soundscape).

ADTG, I would cross out anything eD from your list. The company is a nightmare - long wait times, questionable and apparently interpretable warranty, poor quality control, bad customer service. And that's just my experience There are a couple of eD forums, each in Speakers and Subwoofers. Check them out for more details of mine and others' pains with the company. I'm personally done with them, and IMO they won't be around much longer.
post #14 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Agreed!

Edit: I'd also like to hear more specifics about your dealings with chase (time from order to delivery, the finish on the speakers, dealings with the chase staff, etc...). Thanks!

I purchased a pair of VS-18.1s and a dayton amp around the same time as the OP. I received my subs and amp on Wednesday following the Friday when I placed the order... so under a week delivery for me.

The finish was in good shape and I even ordered his demos. They even worked with me putting my payment across multiple accounts including various gift cards.
post #15 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

ADTG, I would cross out anything eD from your list. The company is a nightmare - long wait times, questionable and apparently interpretable warranty, poor quality control, bad customer service. And that's just my experience There are a couple of eD forums, each in Speakers and Subwoofers. Check them out for more details of mine and others' pains with the company. I'm personally done with them, and IMO they won't be around much longer.

That is too bad.

I don't see the same issues with Chase HT.
post #16 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

The SHO-10s look to be great speakers for the price. They are definitely worthy of looking into.

The main knock about CHT is that the customer service hasn't been as supportive as some of the other alternatives, and some have had bad experiences with the owner.

Other than that, I think they're absolutely worth looking into.

I have to do some more research on that, because I haven't seen much. The owners thread has been pretty silent for a couple of months, which is why I'm interested to see what the OP has to say. They really seem like a good value.

I'm also considering JTR. They are only an hour and a half from me so I hope to be able to hear them in the near future.
post #17 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVrebel View Post

I purchased a pair of VS-18.1s and a dayton amp around the same time as the OP. I received my subs and amp on Wednesday following the Friday when I placed the order... so under a week delivery for me.

The finish was in good shape and I even ordered his demos. They even worked with me putting my payment across multiple accounts including various gift cards.

Wow, that's great to hear. I'd be interested to hear your impressions when you've had a chance to break them in. I know nothing about setting up subs, so getting them with an amp scares me. Are you able to use Audyssey? I should probably ask that in the appropriate forum.
post #18 of 133
For those of you who may be unaware, Dale Rasco of Home Theater Shack posted an extensive review of the system Carnut12 bought here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-2-review.html
post #19 of 133
Thanks, oldfart.
post #20 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Wow, that's great to hear. I'd be interested to hear your impressions when you've had a chance to break them in. I know nothing about setting up subs, so getting them with an amp scares me. Are you able to use Audyssey? I should probably ask that in the appropriate forum.

Actually, Craig (CHT owner) had these VS-18.1s in his home before I ordered them, so they were already broken in (remember they were demos).

I used my receiver (VSX-1015TX) with MCACC. This took care of the rest of my system and set the distance for my sub channel. I used test tones and a digital RS SPL meter to set the rest. The x-over is set to 80hz.

It will work fine with Audyssey. You'll want to make sure you have the amp set to its flattest response when running it initially, and that can serve as your default. You can play with the various amp setting after you've run Audyssey. I actually wish I had Audyssey as MCACC doesn't do much of anything with the sub frequencies.

The dayton amp has a built-in para-eq to adjust one range from (I think) -14db to +6db. It also has an optional bass boost at 25 hz and an optional bass cutoff (hpf) at 18 hz. I've run with and without the hpf (bass cutoff/high pass filter) with no problems. Then again, I've never lit up the 1/2 power lights on the dayton.

It is a different experience to hear and feel all of the low frequency effects in movies. My prior subs struggled with the lower octaves and would often make chuffing noises (dual Klipsch rw-12ds). I know the VS-18.1s get into the mid teens and other subs can go down to single digits, but I didn't like the price of admission to get bass that low. I'm pretty sure I'm covering > 98% of the bass that is out there.... and 100% of what I need.
post #21 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVrebel View Post

I know the VS-18.1s get into the mid teens and other subs can go down to single digits, but I didn't like the price of admission to get bass that low. I'm pretty sure I'm covering > 98% of the bass that is out there.... and 100% of what I need.

That's what I'm struggling with, the cost vs benefit analysis of speakers. The JTR's would be double the price of the sho-10 package. Are they twice as good? I don't know.
post #22 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

That's what I'm struggling with, the cost vs benefit analysis of speakers. The JTR's would be double the price of the sho-10 package. Are they twice as good? I don't know.

Decide on what you really need. Think about the car which can do 0-60 in 6 seconds and the other one which can do it in 4 seconds. How ofter will your driving require that extra boost? Is it worth the cost?

For me, it wasn't worth the extra cost and I haven't even hit the 1/2 power level yet. The 80/20 rule applies to many things in life. And that last 20 is worth more to some people than others. ... good luck on your choice.
post #23 of 133
Thanks for the advice, AVrebel. If i can ask, how big is your room and are you using sho-10's?
post #24 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

That's what I'm struggling with, the cost vs benefit analysis of speakers. The JTR's would be double the price of the sho-10 package. Are they twice as good? I don't know.

You really can't make that analysis until you have heard both, personally.

Some would think it is very worthwhile, while others wouldn't.

Some think a speaker sounds good, while someone else would think differently.
post #25 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post

For those of you who may be unaware, Dale Rasco of Home Theater Shack posted an extensive review of the system Carnut12 bought here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-2-review.html

Interesting, if you compare the max burst numbers to a rythmik FV15HP it loses.. didnt expect that considering how huge the VS18.1 is.
post #26 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Thanks for the advice, AVrebel. If i can ask, how big is your room and are you using sho-10's?

My room is approx. 3500 ft^3. I'm not using sho-10's. I'm using a mismatched front stage of monitor audio silver 5is with an energy xl-c2 center channel. I'm looking around to upgrade those items also, but I haven't decided on what to get yet.

I know CHT offers in home trials of their stuff (granted I'd have to eat the shipping), but that might be what I end up doing, since I also don't have any way to do a comparison to what I already have or anything else for that matter.

I've always liked polk and monitor audio, but I've heard the sho-10s are in a different league. I may have to test that theory myself before I take that step.
post #27 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Interesting, if you compare the max burst numbers to a rythmik FV15HP it loses.. didnt expect that considering how huge the VS18.1 is.

I wondered that too looking at their graphs.

I also found this on cht's site:
https://www.chasehometheater.com/for...ead.php?t=4138
Quote:


We commissioned the same gent who did the Audioholics test. The Audioholics test included the following subs:

Hsu VTF-15 ($879)
SVS PB12-Plus DSP ($1349)
Rythmik Audio FV15-P ($1195)
Funkywaves FW-12X ($1950 including shipping)

The VS-18.1 is $995.

In terms of SPL, we were second to the Funkywaves at 20 Hz and first in overall average from 20-63 Hz.

Our 20 Hz number was 114.6 dB

Our 20-63 Hz average was 123 dB

-------------------------------------------

I've heard some say its due to different testing methods.... 1m vs 2m... different lvls of thd. I would like to see Ricci from data-bass take some measurements, so it could be apples to apples.
post #28 of 133
Not sure about the quote on the website, but the guy from htshack tested it at 2m ground plane, same as ricci. I dont see much difference in their testing methodologies.

Its cool to me that the VS18.1 are passive and easy to order, but id rather just get a sealed 4.5 cu ft cab from eD for $500 and slap a sundown 18" Z v3. IMO a much better solution than a $1000 V18.1
post #29 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You really can't make that analysis until you have heard both, personally.

Some would think it is very worthwhile, while others wouldn't.

Some think a speaker sounds good, while someone else would think differently.

yeah, I am going to go up to Wisc and hear the JTR's and audition the sho's in my house. I have a feeling that the size of my room (kind of small) will lead me in the Chase's direction, but who knows.

Edit: Thanks for the info and advice, everyone.
post #30 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Agreed!

Edit: I'd also like to hear more specifics about your dealings with chase (time from order to delivery, the finish on the speakers, dealings with the chase staff, etc...). Thanks!

I will Post Pics shortly.

Chase was outstanding, I spoke to Craig on the phone and via PM and he was Great When he was not available I dealt with Sharon I think her name was, she was Great as well. I will tell you he had issues with e-mail, I found out because my was returned saying it did not go through. I then sent him PM's on his forum and his response time was Outstanding. I live in Western MA and received the speakers in roughly 10 days. They did send the Subs with-out Grill's, I sent Craig a PM and the very next day they Sent out Grill's. The fit and finish exceeded my expectations, that was my greatest concern due to what I have read about them. They changed Cabinet makers and to me these are very well made. With that said they are not Monitor Audio (One of my other choices) quality, but I knew that going in. I decided Home Theater Sound quality was my # 1 priority and if this is yours I can not see how you could go wrong with these.

By the way my brother has Monitor Audio's that cost triple what the SHO-10's do and for Home Theater I think the SHO-10's are Superior. You pay for the Finish, not saying they are not good speakers, they are, just saying the SHO's by my ears sound better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Absolutely LOVE my Chase Home Theater Speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!