or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Johnny Depp as Kolchak-The Night Stalker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Johnny Depp as Kolchak-The Night Stalker

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=41508

That's right ladies and germs, another "Johnny Depp in a role that won't surprise you!" I have fond memories of the 2 fine TV movies and even the craptacular 20 episode series run from the 70's, so I have mixed feelings about this. I'm really intrigued by a modern big screen take on the character, but jeeeeez.....Johnny Depp? You're thoughts, Depp-heads?
post #2 of 22
WWwaaahhhh??
post #3 of 22
OK, I give up...what's the problem here?
Constantine (and a bunch of others) anyone?

What is the objection?
post #4 of 22
Since the original Kolchak was played for laughs with a few thrills thrown in this role is almost a natural for Depp.
post #5 of 22
We loved the original series so JD should be a great Kolchak.
post #6 of 22
For the life of me, I just can't picture Johnny Depp bald with a lollipop in his mouth. But, that's just me...
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos View Post

For the life of me, I just can't picture Johnny Depp bald with a lollipop in his mouth. But, that's just me...

That's Kojak!
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos View Post

For the life of me, I just can't picture Johnny Depp bald with a lollipop in his mouth. But, that's just me...

You know, that's something I could picture him doing. But that's just me.
post #9 of 22
If Helena Bonham Carter is in it....
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by randosel View Post

That's Kojak!

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

You know, that's something I could picture him doing. But that's just me.

Sure, if he was also pale, a social reject with an affinity to sharp steel objects, stark landscapes and a lady to match...
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos View Post

For the life of me, I just can't picture Johnny Depp bald with a lollipop in his mouth. But, that's just me...

Guess you missed FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

If Helena Bonham Carter is in it....

Bwahahaha!
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by randosel View Post

That's Kojak!



True - Darren McGavin does not equal Telly Savalas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Guess you missed FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS

Just swap the lollipop for a constant cigarette holder & there you have it...although I doubt Depp would go all Hunter Thompson on us in this role.
post #15 of 22
Aaagh!

The original Night Stalker was one of the most frightening movies I saw when I was young. Maybe the best vampire of all time (IMO). Though there was humor thrown in to the mix via characterization (Kolchack, though not always humorous, often he was serious), the movie wasn't played for laughs. It was no less a frightening movie for having some humorous elements than Jaws was. It was as "realistic" a take on a vampire as had been seen up until that point (and I'm not sure there has been any such treatment since).

Though I remain a huge fan of the original movie, I've always felt that I could accept a remake if it were a (mostly) serious horror movie. It's just a great concept for a vampire film, and in particular, for a "serious" or "realistic" vampire film. It's not set in old, or ancient, or mythological times - it's set now and could take a look at how we'd deal NOW with sets of murders that seem to indicate a real vampire was in our midst.

But, damn, it looks like we are going to have a Burton-type goofy-it-all-up take on the movie. A missed opportunity IMO.
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Aaagh!

The original Night Stalker was one of the most frightening movies I saw when I was young. Maybe the best vampire of all time (IMO). Though there was humor thrown in to the mix via characterization (Kolchack, though not always humorous, often he was serious), the movie wasn't played for laughs. It was no less a frightening movie for having some humorous elements than Jaws was. It was as "realistic" a take on a vampire as had been seen up until that point (and I'm not sure there has been any such treatment since).

Though I remain a huge fan of the original movie, I've always felt that I could accept a remake if it were a (mostly) serious horror movie. It's just a great concept for a vampire film, and in particular, for a "serious" or "realistic" vampire film. It's not set in old, or ancient, or mythological times - it's set now and could take a look at how we'd deal NOW with sets of murders that seem to indicate a real vampire was in our midst.

But, damn, it looks like we are going to have a Burton-type goofy-it-all-up take on the movie. A missed opportunity IMO.

That pretty much sums up my feelings, too.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Guess you missed FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS

I didn't. Great movie and JD was spectacular. I own it on HDDVD!

I was half-kidding. I like JD a lot but his threesome with Tim Burton (I like him) and HBC (I like her too) has grown a little tiresome.

Threesome -> tiresome. get it?
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos View Post

Threesome -> tiresome. get it?

Yeah once you get used to this it becomes routine and you need more people to keep things exciting
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Aaagh!

The original Night Stalker was one of the most frightening movies I saw when I was young. Maybe the best vampire of all time (IMO). Though there was humor thrown in to the mix via characterization (Kolchack, though not always humorous, often he was serious), the movie wasn't played for laughs. It was no less a frightening movie for having some humorous elements than Jaws was. It was as "realistic" a take on a vampire as had been seen up until that point (and I'm not sure there has been any such treatment since).

Though I remain a huge fan of the original movie, I've always felt that I could accept a remake if it were a (mostly) serious horror movie. It's just a great concept for a vampire film, and in particular, for a "serious" or "realistic" vampire film. It's not set in old, or ancient, or mythological times - it's set now and could take a look at how we'd deal NOW with sets of murders that seem to indicate a real vampire was in our midst.

But, damn, it looks like we are going to have a Burton-type goofy-it-all-up take on the movie. A missed opportunity IMO.

+1

Now I could see Depp doing the old Peter Falk,TV Detective Columbo with a Burton/goofy angle.
post #20 of 22
Let's do this right . Dave Fincher director . Kevin Spacey as Kolchak . Paul Sorvino as Vincenzo . R rated and follow ( but update ) the original script . My favorite parts of the first movie are that Carl was really spooked by what may be commiting these murders and he has more to fear from the LV authorities than an actual vampire .
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbrazil View Post

Let's do this right . Dave Fincher director . Kevin Spacey as Kolchak . Paul Sorvino as Vincenzo . R rated and follow ( but update ) the original script . My favorite parts of the first movie are that Carl was really spooked by what may be commiting these murders and he has more to fear from the LV authorities than an actual vampire .

Is this your ideal cast?
post #22 of 22
Yes . Seeing Spacey in L A Confidential I thought of him as a perfect match for Kolchak . From what I've heard Sorvino won't do a role unless he gets to sing (Repo Genetic Opera) so he maybe out . If were skewing younger than I could see Ed Norton taking the role .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Johnny Depp as Kolchak-The Night Stalker