The following are what I have found so far on the firmware changes: 242.23.36:
1a. Media Player has a fourth category; "Recordings" specifically for recordings made from the DVR. Any old recordings that are listed under "Video" will not show here, but will still be available under Video.
1b. Added direct access to this new "Recordings" screen using the yellow button on the remote. But, if you want to access one of the other screens, you must exit Media Player and re-enter as before. Unlike entering MP directly, returning exits you completely.
1c. All new recordings will show in both screens; Video & Record.
1d. The delete function isn't available in the "Video" screen anymore, so all old recordings can not be deleted from the Menu.
1e. Finally, you have the ability to resume from where you left off on playback. A Dialog box pops up with the default choice to resume. Unfortunately, there is no 'global' menu setting for this. I insisted on this last spring when I was testing. I think it would make more sense if this was a "Settings" entry in the main menu instead of a popup box when you select a recording to play.
1f. When in Media Player, using the new "Recordings" screen, the issue with the video settings not "sticking" doesn't apply. You don't have to click on every entry that was changed for them to take effect. But, it still remains under the old "Video" screen.
2. Ability to sort recordings in the added category "Recordings".by time, title or name. "Time descend" seems to make the most sense since recordings that don't have PSIP data will only be that silly 'cryptic' number that is hard to read.
3. Closed Captions are now able to be recorded and play backed.
4. "Skip" forward and back of 20 seconds is now adjustable adding 30, 60 & 120 seconds. When they added the 'skip' function las t spring that I suggested, I added that additional times were needed. 60 seconds forward & 20 seconds back makes the most sense.
5. Timeshift has been expanded adding two & four hours.
6. Annoying USB popup at power up can now be disabled by a menu entry.
7. Added "EPG Tuning Mode" option. Changing channels in the Guide is over twice as fast (1.5 seconds) when the preview window is locked vs when it is unlocked (4 seconds). I timed it. Whatever channel you are on, when locked (set to off) the preview window will not change. This function is misnamed. It should be named "Lock preview window". BUT, if you haven't accessed every channel by manually changing channels before you enter the Guide, if this setting is "off" , the Guide will not show any listings except for the station you were on when powered up.
7b. The issue with the Guide freezing on non receivable channels (no reception) appears to have been improved, but not completely fixed. With 'on the cliff' stations that are not receivable at the time for any reason, the Guide still hangs causing you to exit and re-enter the Guide.
8a. Time format is now 12 hr.
8b There now seems to be problems with the clock and the time listings in the Guide with some CATV systems. The listings start out in my case, four hours in the future, not at the present time. Manual time setting solves the clock changing time, but not the listings, omitting the first three hours of programs.This needs to be confirmed.
9. The incorrect file size in Media Player has been corrected, showing the correct file size. At least it isn't some fixed number anymore.
10. Unneeded fast forward and reverse speeds have been added. The existing choices were ok. The sample rate is so poor (choppy video), even with the audio set to PCM, the FF & Rew scan is mostly useless.
(Updated with other fixes & new issues)
Edited by videobruce - 12/20/12 at 7:03am