Have the PHD-VRX re-format the hard drive to see if that clears up any issues
First off, he has already re-formatted the drive more than once, Second, I know you were successful, but why take a chance with their lame utility (that doesn't tell you anything) messing things up?
1. Where are you? What market?
2. What station, how far away is their xmitter?
3. Does this happen every time you record from this station? How about other stations?
4. Do you have CableTV?
5. Was this 'package' (apparently, one of these misnamed "external hard drives" that are really an external enclosure with a internal HDD) already formatted to NTFS?
6. Did you try any speed test from your PC?