Updated "laundry list" of problems. I have grouped similar items together. Actually, there are now 53 issues.
Thanks to HDTV1080p for the additional "audio" related issues. This does not include the new issues mentioned above.
In order of importance (which leaves this open for disagreement, but will welcome comment):
1a. The Guide needs to include both tuners integrated together as one Guide no matter which input you are in. It's a real problem and inconvenience to have to switch back and forth between tuners to try to schedule programming. Especially if you have overlapping recordings. Also, more than one channels programming needs to be available. This is another real problem. You schedule one program only to find something better on another channel at the same time. If you forget what channel that was, you have to go back and find it, one channel at a time. PSIP Guide data is unreliable, spotty and inconsistent if it is there at all. It was intended to have a paid subscription Guide available two years ago. Other than the lack of a manual, this is problem #1.
1b. The Guide really needs a subscription, Internet based full program data. I know this is well known to them, but I had to have this in the list. PSIP data is mostly worthless. What good are three to six hours of listings? Anything less than one full week shouldn't be acceptable in this day and age.
2. No ability to remember where playback was stopped. No 'Mark' function. You stop or exit playback mode either accidentally or on purpose, you loose where you were. One hour into a two hour movie, you have to leave, as soon as you press stop,when it comes time to pick up where you left off, guess what? You have to remember were you were and hit the 20 second skip xx number of times or use the fast forward to return to where you left off.
3a. Add one button access to Media Player Recordings on the remote and in the Quick Menu.
3b. Remove that pop-up open Media Player box when returning from standby. No need for it if that above was available.
3c. Pressing 'Exit' while in Media Player will completely exit you out of MP while watching a recording. Some confirmation is needed to prevent this.
4. A timer recording from standby looses the 1st 45 seconds of the program due to the boot time if the recorder was in standby. Booting from standby should start one minute early so the recorder is up and running.
5. The 20 second skip forward and back needs an option to adjust the amount of time (there wasn't any until I insisted on this), 20 seconds is not enough. Give the ability to set times in each direction. 15, 30, 60 & 120 seconds would suffice with 15 seconds back and 60 seconds forward as defaults. What is really needed is adjustable skip times from 15 seconds to five minutes. Even though, if you hold the Skip Fwd or Rev down, it will FF scan until you release it, a fixed amount would make s things easier.
6a. Optical audio level is apparently very low.
6b. Audio controls have no effect on analog or optical outputs. Only HDMI is affected.
6c. HDMI apparently passes only two channel stereo audio.
6d. There is no audio at all when the timeshifting mode is activated. There is audio on the HDMI output.
7a. A Full manual recording option, no matter if there is Guide data or not that is directly accessible from the Record button without going into any menu or Guide. There are too many times where one needs to modify the start and/or stop times either way. As this stands, other than diving into the main menu a number of layers deep, when in the Guide, there is no full manual recording available if there is Guide data of any kind on that channel.
7b. Allow adjustments plus and minus for the start and stop times. Not just one or the other. Programs do start early and end early.
7c. When there is a conflict with overlapping recordings, there is nothing telling you where the conflict is. It's almost impossible to find this if it is a weekly recording.
7d. Remove that “Active” check box in the recording options. One less thing to click through. That is already available in "Upcoming Recordings" if needed.
7e. There is no option to delete a scheduled recording while in the Guide. You have to exit, then wade through the main menu to "Upcoming Recordings" to do this.
7f. Remove the unnecessary Sat. & Sun. entry. I can't see any purpose for this.
8a. Speed play is useless as it stands due to inter-reaction with the apparent audio sampling when using AC3. Using PCM, the problem is not there. This just happens during FF, Rew is Ok. [/B]The sample rate is terrible making the feature worthless. You can't see enough frames to make any sense out of the video.
8b. If a recorded program is paused during playback, the video freezes but the audio continues playing for an additional 5 seconds. This happens when AC3 is in use. When the video stream is resumed by hitting play, there is no audio until the video "catches up" to the point where the audio originally paused (another 5 seconds). The HDMI output behaves normally.
9. The output of this DVR been confirmed to be very dark with high contrast. You have to set the brightness to around 15 and the contrast around 80. It's way too dark at the default settings. These settings do not apply to Media Player, you have to readjust them each and every time you use MP since they don't 'stick'. The settings should be universal to both functions.
10. There is no clock backup if there is a power outage. User intervention is needed to power up so the DVR can get a clock update.
11. No 1080i for older HDTV's w/o a 1080p input. 480p was removed with the latest firmware. Some TV's have limited aspect options in various resolutions. Sometimes the 480 choice works out better. This should be restored.
12. GoTo & Guide buttons on the remote need to be swapped. GoTo needs to be renamed to Return as it is on most other devices. GoTo means something entirely different than what it does here and is confusing. The button for GoTo is larger and should be for the Guide. Apparently ePVision realizes this as they pack a separate slip in the box stating the use of the GoTo button.
13a. An attached external enclosed hard drive does not spin down anymore when the DVR is on, only when in standby with the 2nd last firmware release. Why have it run when the this is only being used as a tuner?
13b. After three or more consecutive recordings are finished, DVR does not go back into Standby. It appears you can do two and it will go into Standby two minutes after the last timer recording is finished.
14. Nothing preventing you to place the DVR in standby prevent stopping a recording in progress. You will loose the recording if standby is pressed accidentally. Some confirmation pop up is needed.
15. Menu icons are hard to read and decipher. Plain text is needed instead of those hard to decipher icons. It's confusing to guess at a icon, then read the text above and to the right of that icon. Substitute icons for plain text by moving the sub-category to the far left column replacing the associated icon. The GUI in their Media Switcher was better. Not as 'glitzy', but who cares, it's easier to navigate.
16a. Shorten the manual recording file name in Media Player by removing the seconds and changing the year to two digits.
16b. Change the sort order from alphabetically to by time & date, naming the files in descending YY-MM-DD would work better for recording multiple programs.
17. Ability to turn clock display off when in standby, substituting a single 'dash' to indicate standby. Also, disable the red LED in the standby mode since it is confusing to have represent two functions; record & standby.
18. In the Video (Picture) sub-menu, once you selected a item, you can't scroll up or down to the next item to adjust without returning to the previous screen.
19. Rename 'Picture' to 'Video' in the main menu and move Dynamic Contrast out of that 'Advanced' menu so all A/V adjustments in one sub-menu. Then delete "Advanced" since nothing would be under that heading anymore. Color temperature has no noticeable effect so remove that.
20. Media Player; Use skip fwd & back to move through the pages instead of channel up/down like it is in all other menu functions where this is used. Consistent and less confusing.
21. Change 'Video' to 'Recordings' in Media Player. “Video” is more a term relating more to image adjustments. Originally this was labeled "Movie" until it was change per my insistence. Also change "Movie" to "Recording" in the delete confirmation box.
22. Change the “Recording List” to “Recording History”. Since it is just a history, not what is actually on the hard drive. It's confusing since one would assume these recording are still available.
23. Disable channel up/down while in Guide. It's too easy to hit and accidentally exit from the Guide.
24. Remove the pop-up box when powering the DVR up that asks to open Media Player. The missing one button access to MP would replace that annoying step.
25a. Add USB support for a keyboard[/B] to make it easier to use U Tube. Trying to use the on screen keyboard gets old real quick.
25b. Using You Tube, the aspect control has no effect. No full width. If you try to watch a 16x9 clip, it is squeezed down to 4x3.
25c. U Tube can not be used when recording. Accessing U Tube will stop all recordings.
26. “Skip” in the channel editor; Confusion of a checked or unchecked entry.[/B] That could mean either the channel is skipped or that it is active. A checked channel should mean skipped, not active.
27. Timeshift; Duplicate use of the skip fwd. & back function for slow motion is confusing. Use the separate orange & blue buttons for this and leave the skip & back functions the same.
28. You can not record on tuner one if you are using one of the inputs to the switcher.
29. Inconsistent time format. Some are shown as 12 hr., others as 24 hrs.In the US, 12 hrs. is preferred.
30. There are too many 'Aspect' choices. 'Direct' and 'Normal' appear to be identical. Debatable with some of the other choices.
31. Do not allow any channels to get added to the channel list when doing a direct entry in case the user doesn't want that channel added. There is a 'Find Channel" function for this.
32. Trying to record and use the USB speed test causes conflicts. Disallow testing while recording.
33. Remove the "Lock" feature as it can cause issues if one forgets the code and since this only records non-premium channels, there shouldn't be a need for it.
34. Ability to manual edit the channel number (along with the stations call letters) for entries that have a bad channel number.
35. Improve the signal level display to expand the resolution of the reading. Five "bars" are too vague.
36a. File size listed in Media Player isn't always correct.
36b. Ability to edit the file name of the recording, especially when it was a manual recording, preferably within Media Player.
37. Modifying a recording in the "Upcoming Recording" menu, will not show any added record time when you 'pad' the end time of a program to extend longer.
Edited by videobruce - 8/13/12 at 7:44am