or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Energy s10.3 or Polk PSW505???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy s10.3 or Polk PSW505???

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to purchase a new sub for my home theater setup...actually my first ever home theater sub and need some help. I'm looking at a couple options: the Energy s10.3 or the Polk PSW505. I currently have a Polk Monitor setup with Monitor 70s as my fronts and a Denon 2312 receiver. I've heard a lot of good things about HSU subs but they don't sell on Amazon, Newegg, or Vanns and usually only make purchases when I can get no interest. If I were to use my regular credit card and buy the HSU Stf 1 or 2 or even the Vtf 1 I'd be charged interest. So, would somebody PLEASE help me with this decision?!?!?! The energy or the polk? Keep in mind that I'll eventually be getting 2. OR should I just save up for a couple months and get a HSU if they are THAT much better? Would two energy's be better than one HSU??? I'm not an audiophile by ANY means and don't have a trained ear what-so-ever! The only thing I'm looking for is to make sure that the bass is not just boomy and loud! Thanks to anybody who helps me!!!
post #2 of 9
The HSU STF-2 is not that big an improvement over the Energy S10.3, and I think you'd get better sound out of the S10.3 over the Polk.

However, roughly how big is your room in cubic feet (volume)? The size of your room can be a big determining factor in what size sub(s) you need.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
It's a fairly big room 21x23. I'm thinking about buying two right off the bat since newegg has em for 199. I dunno though. Since I've never had a sub before I don't know if one would be sufficient for me. With this big room that I'm in now I'll prob need two tho. I just hear so many good things about hsu and wondered if the sound would be that much of a difference.
post #4 of 9
That's a pretty big room. IMO:
- If your budget for subs is limited, buy two S10.3s.
- Otherwise, consider putting more money toward a better sub now and then adding a second sub later.

Examples of "a better sub" include:
- Outlaw LFM-1 Plus (or EX)
- SVS SB12-NSD (or PB12-NSD)
- Epik Legend (or Empire)
- HSU VTF3 MK4 (or VTF-15H)
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

That's a pretty big room. IMO:
- If your budget for subs is limited, buy two S10.3s.
- Otherwise, consider putting more money toward a better sub now and then adding a second sub later.

+1

Based on your room dimensions and assuming 8 ft ceilings (room volume is what we are looking for here, not just area), you are close to 4,000 cubic feet. That's a lot of room to fill with bass.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

That's a pretty big room. IMO:
- If your budget for subs is limited, buy two S10.3s.
- Otherwise, consider putting more money toward a better sub now and then adding a second sub later.
Examples of "a better sub" include:
- Outlaw LFM-1 Plus (or EX)
- SVS SB12-NSD (or PB12-NSD)
- Epik Legend (or Empire)
- HSU VTF3 MK4 (or VTF-15H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1
Based on your room dimensions and assuming 8 ft ceilings (room volume is what we are looking for here, not just area), you are close to 4,000 cubic feet. That's a lot of room to fill with bass.

Ok, thanks so much! I've just heard good things about the energy and I didn't know if two of those would be worth it or not. I'm just anxious to get one hooked up and going to see how much of a difference it makes to my home theater. If I save up for a "better" sub, it's gonna be at least a couple more months. What about mixing subs? Is that a bad thing? Say I get a Epik and an Energy, is that a no no?
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
I hear people hooking up two subs even if they don't have a receiver with two outputs with a splitter. Well since I do have two output can I hook up 3 or 4 subs with a splitter or is that just ridiculous?
post #8 of 9
Don't forget an alternative - near field placement. You might be able to get away with a single sub in the large room if you place it adjacent to your listening location.

The output drops fairly rapidly with distance, however. If you could use the S10.3 as an end table next to your listening couch (if you can figure out the wiring) you might be a happy camper.

However, don't expect chest thumping power on the other side of the room.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan__ View Post

Don't forget an alternative - near field placement. You might be able to get away with a single sub in the large room if you place it adjacent to your listening location.
The output drops fairly rapidly with distance, however. If you could use the S10.3 as an end table next to your listening couch (if you can figure out the wiring) you might be a happy camper.
However, don't expect chest thumping power on the other side of the room.

Ok, what about the bic f12 or pl-200. Would they be better than the energy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Energy s10.3 or Polk PSW505???