or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXES7100 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXES7100 Thread. - Page 89

post #2641 of 2849
Probably a no then. Oh well I couldn't seem to find a receiver that supported it anyway. I did figure out that it supports ARC on HDMI port #2, so that will allow me to eliminate the optical cable I'm currently using for the built in apps. So only two cables running from TV to the A/V rack.
post #2642 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx99 View Post

a question that I haven't been able to get a clear answer to:
if I hookup a soundbar via HDMI and enable anynet+ will the soundbar power on when the TV turns on? I've seen people say this is a feature that only works on the new 2013 F series TVs?

At least for the Samsung soundbars (I specifically have the HW-E450) the TV can turn the soundbar off via HDMI-CEC, but not on. The only "on" function I can find in the CEC specs is for HDMI output --> HDMI input, so when a source device is turned on it turns on subsequent equipment in the chain. The "off" function appears to work in the opposite direction from HDMI input --> HDMI output so when the TV is turned off devices back through the chain will turn off. Unfortunately this isn't always what you want to happen.

So far the only resolution I've found is to set the CEC function (Anynet+) of the TV to "not" turn off the receiver (ARC device or soundbar in my case) and just leave the soundbar turned on. Of course you could always program a smart remote like the Harmony One to do what you want.

On a side note, the Optical audio connection from TV to my Samsung soundbar can turn the soundbar on and off, however I would then loose the advantages of HDMI-CEC/ARC.

My setup above is for my family room and is fairly simple. I wanted to make watching TV or BluRay/DVDs easy for my wife. My media room is a different matter and a programmable remote is in charge there.
post #2643 of 2849
Hey I'm on 1027 is it worth it to update to 1031?? I'm scared to! smile.gif
post #2644 of 2849
I finally upgraded this morning....no issues but no real improvement either.

Should be safe to pull the trigger. smile.gif
post #2645 of 2849
Im still on 1017 i believe. Too scared to update after what I went through with my LG.

-DMP-
post #2646 of 2849
It's been a few months and I'm loving this TV more and more everyday All of the clouding and flash lighting went away. Great purchase and well worth the money. About a month ago I realized that "screen fit" will actually keep the original aspect ratio. I've had it on 16:9 the whole time, but that actually caused distortion. Strange, "screen fit" doesn't sound like something that would keep original aspect ratio. It sounds like something that would stretch the original picture to fit the screen. Not too intuitive of a label.
post #2647 of 2849
These are my settings as of now for update 1031


Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 43
Sharpness: 15 (18 and over I notice some ringing in the picture)
Color: 49
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit (this is original aspect ratio)


Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Auto
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: -1 (produces better blacks)
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 26
G-Offset: 26
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 26
B-Gain: 27


10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red 0, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 2: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +1
Interval 3: Red +2, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 4: Red +2, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 5: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 6: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +3
Interval 7: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +2
Interval 8: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +3
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +3
Interval 10: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +3

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off/Clear (I notice a cleaner picture with CLEAR on and don't get the soap opera effect)
LED Motion Plus: Off


3D - same as Movie except Backlight: 20
post #2648 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominfaribo View Post

Canadian post above is from someone who works for the competition.
1031 update is now available through update.

Good one pal - I just had this panel replaced under warranty and it has less issues but it still has terrible bleeding. I would not recommend this LED TV to anyone. I hope this new F series improves things....and as always, customer service is still the worst.
Edited by Canadian-NSX - 5/27/13 at 9:09pm
post #2649 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel036 View Post

These are my settings as of now for update 1031


Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 43
Sharpness: 15 (18 and over I notice some ringing in the picture)
Color: 49
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit (this is original aspect ratio)


Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Auto
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: -1 (produces better blacks)
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 26
G-Offset: 26
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 26
B-Gain: 27


10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red 0, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 2: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +1
Interval 3: Red +2, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 4: Red +2, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 5: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 6: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +3
Interval 7: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +2
Interval 8: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +3
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +3
Interval 10: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +3

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off/Clear (I notice a cleaner picture with CLEAR on and don't get the soap opera effect)
LED Motion Plus: Off


3D - same as Movie except Backlight: 20

On your earlier posts I saw you didn't like 1029 for awhile until you got it adjusted. For the new settings I noticed you didn't tweak anything but sharpness for 1031. Are you happy with your picture with 1031 now, did the new firmware seem to help?

Just wondering as I am still on 1027 and didn't update to 1029 based on your feedback.
post #2650 of 2849
Just wondering how you guys that own the ES7100 feel about getting screwed by samsung and not being able to get the EVOLUTION KIT...

How many of you guys wish you had the port in the back of your TV to add the EVO KIT... How many of you even give a damn or not....

To me I won't even drink the Samsung EVO KIT Kool-Aid...I have the ES8000 and I'm not planning on even getting the evo kit, they could have the new 2013 smart hub with a simple Firmware update....

I open the floor for discussion.... cool.gif
post #2651 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

Just wondering how you guys that own the ES7100 feel about getting screwed by samsung and not being able to get the EVOLUTION KIT...

How many of you guys wish you had the port in the back of your TV to add the EVO KIT... How many of you even give a damn or not....

To me I won't even drink the Samsung EVO KIT Kool-Aid...I have the ES8000 and I'm not planning on even getting the evo kit, they could have the new 2013 smart hub with a simple Firmware update....

I open the floor for discussion.... cool.gif
Why would they feel like they got screwed? They knew when they bought this TV that it did not include the evolution kit option.
post #2652 of 2849
Don't feel screwed at all. I don't think the evolution kit is a good value as all it does is upgrade the processor for smart hub improvements. If I really feel like the smart hub is getting dated I would rather buy a Roku for $100 rather than pay hundreds for the evolution kit.
post #2653 of 2849
Not understanding the evolution kit? Sound like a marketing gimmic. Picture quality of 60 or 65 "? Locking to upgrade.
post #2654 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMO45 View Post

Don't feel screwed at all. I don't think the evolution kit is a good value as all it does is upgrade the processor for smart hub improvements. If I really feel like the smart hub is getting dated I would rather buy a Roku for $100 rather than pay hundreds for the evolution kit.

true dat....i rather have set top boxes instead....like roku, ps3..etc...
post #2655 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Why would they feel like they got screwed? They knew when they bought this TV that it did not include the evolution kit option.

I ran across a lot of people here that thought their es7100 was upgradable to the evo kit.... a lot of people told me if they knew it they would have bought the 7500 or 8000... honestly I think the evo kit is a gimmick, also the smart hub aint all that....other devices like set top boxes are more versitle....

next time I rather just get a great tv with awesome picture quality without the "smart" nonsense.... there are some out there...but most tvs today have all these gimmicks in it that are seldom upgradable....
Edited by EndeaverouX - 5/29/13 at 9:24am
post #2656 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMO45 View Post

On your earlier posts I saw you didn't like 1029 for awhile until you got it adjusted. For the new settings I noticed you didn't tweak anything but sharpness for 1031. Are you happy with your picture with 1031 now, did the new firmware seem to help?

Just wondering as I am still on 1027 and didn't update to 1029 based on your feedback.

Yes the new firmware update did help a bit. The contrast isn't too over bloomed now as opposed to the 1029. I still prefer the 1027 though. I suggest you stick with it.
post #2657 of 2849
I also thought the evo kit was more of a gimmick. For those that wanted it and purchased a 7100, they should of done more research, or simply asked a salesperson. As far as the whole smart tv thing, I personally don't need it (own a ps3, and and a appletv) but I could see where some would find it useful. Then there's the gesture thing. Something else I could do without. 3D, kind of like it, but not enough good content and not something I want to watch for more than the length of one movie. I wish more time was spent solving quality issues ( clouding, flashlighting, etc... ) then adding more gimmicks. My $0.02.
post #2658 of 2849
Having had a good go at calibrating using the THX App and the AVS HD 709 stuff (a number of times), I reckon they don't produce changes to the naked eye that are much different to the original Standard and Movie settings on the UN46ES7100.

I am quite happy with the image quality, in terms of colour and clarity, as long as I turn off the advanced settings, have the colour space as Auto, turn the Picture Options off and have the Colour Tone as Warm2 and film mode Auto2 with the Motion Plus on Clear or Off.

So essentially I am following the first two steps of Picture Perfect and trusting the good folk at Samsung for the Standard and Movie modes.

The only dramas I have are the poor image I get on crappy Australian SD channels which is especially noticeable in live studio broadcasts with lots of lighting and bright reds on graphics can bleed and be overwhelmingly bright. But I put it down to poor SD quality on a HDTV.

But I am quite happy with it otherwise. From my short experience Warm2 is noticeably better than Normal or Warm1 and artificial settings should be avoided. Otherwise I'm going to stop letting this do my head in and get down to watching some TV.
post #2659 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

I also thought the evo kit was more of a gimmick. For those that wanted it and purchased a 7100, they should of done more research, or simply asked a salesperson. As far as the whole smart tv thing, I personally don't need it (own a ps3, and and a appletv) but I could see where some would find it useful. Then there's the gesture thing. Something else I could do without. 3D, kind of like it, but not enough good content and not something I want to watch for more than the length of one movie. I wish more time was spent solving quality issues ( clouding, flashlighting, etc... ) then adding more gimmicks. My $0.02.

couldn't have said it better.... wink.gif
post #2660 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOL View Post

Having had a good go at calibrating using the THX App and the AVS HD 709 stuff (a number of times), I reckon they don't produce changes to the naked eye that are much different to the original Standard and Movie settings on the UN46ES7100.

I am quite happy with the image quality, in terms of colour and clarity, as long as I turn off the advanced settings, have the colour space as Auto, turn the Picture Options off and have the Colour Tone as Warm2 and film mode Auto2 with the Motion Plus on Clear or Off.

So essentially I am following the first two steps of Picture Perfect and trusting the good folk at Samsung for the Standard and Movie modes.

The only dramas I have are the poor image I get on crappy Australian SD channels which is especially noticeable in live studio broadcasts with lots of lighting and bright reds on graphics can bleed and be overwhelmingly bright. But I put it down to poor SD quality on a HDTV.

But I am quite happy with it otherwise. From my short experience Warm2 is noticeably better than Normal or Warm1 and artificial settings should be avoided. Otherwise I'm going to stop letting this do my head in and get down to watching some TV.
That's a great idea just watching the TV. These forums are filled with obsessed people ( myself included ) , but sometimes we all need to just sit back and enjoy our equipment.
post #2661 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

That's a great idea just watching the TV. These forums are filled with obsessed people ( myself included ) , but sometimes we all need to just sit back and enjoy our equipment.

Blasphemer!

Btw I just set up my 75" 6400. Posted first impressions in the F6400 thread but I am a happy camper so far.

Edit: oops I realized that this is the ES not F thread. Sorry about that.
post #2662 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Blasphemer!

Btw I just set up my 75" 6400. Posted first impressions in the F6400 thread but I am a happy camper so far.

Edit: oops I realized that this is the ES not F thread. Sorry about that.
Yes I know it's blasphemy, but it had to be said. You know I'm right wink.gif
post #2663 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOL View Post

Having had a good go at calibrating using the THX App and the AVS HD 709 stuff (a number of times), I reckon they don't produce changes to the naked eye that are much different to the original Standard and Movie settings on the UN46ES7100.

I am quite happy with the image quality, in terms of colour and clarity, as long as I turn off the advanced settings, have the colour space as Auto, turn the Picture Options off and have the Colour Tone as Warm2 and film mode Auto2 with the Motion Plus on Clear or Off.

So essentially I am following the first two steps of Picture Perfect and trusting the good folk at Samsung for the Standard and Movie modes.

The only dramas I have are the poor image I get on crappy Australian SD channels which is especially noticeable in live studio broadcasts with lots of lighting and bright reds on graphics can bleed and be overwhelmingly bright. But I put it down to poor SD quality on a HDTV.

But I am quite happy with it otherwise. From my short experience Warm2 is noticeably better than Normal or Warm1 and artificial settings should be avoided. Otherwise I'm going to stop letting this do my head in and get down to watching some TV.

I don't know how you guys go with Warm2. There is no white in that mode. It's like faded old paper. I'm sticking with Warm1.
post #2664 of 2849
I find Warm2 is better for the brightness in that it produces more texture in backgrounds. Normal and Warm1 miss a lot of that.
post #2665 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOL View Post

I find Warm2 is better for the brightness in that it produces more texture in backgrounds. Normal and Warm1 miss a lot of that.
Do you mean brightness or saturation?
My saturation (color) is at 40 to deal with that.
post #2666 of 2849
No I have colour at 50. Warm2 definitely adds more texture to backgrounds
post #2667 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOL View Post

No I have colour at 50. Warm2 definitely adds more texture to backgrounds

With 50 for color you outta be losing a lot of color shades. Have you looked at R,G, and B color shade patterns?
I have these patterns from the time they were free: http://www.xyhd.tv/2007/10/how-to/calibrate-your-hdtv-with-free-test-patterns-with-sexy-girls/
post #2668 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOL View Post

No I have colour at 50. Warm2 definitely adds more texture to backgrounds

See it is all in the eye of the beholder. I do not like any of the warm setting I have my TV set to cool in the advanced settings,

Go to post 631 page 22 of this forum and those are the settings I am using. I do not use the warm setting I tweaked mine to cool.

If you want to be a little more adventurous Pirates Cove has some other setting a few posts after that.

I am quite happy with mine other members like Pirates Cove.

Before you go changing any of the settings write them all down so you can go back to you original settings that you now have.

I would try the new settings for about 1 or 2 days before reverting back you may enjoy the new settings.
post #2669 of 2849
Thanks mate. I'm an addictive type so I think it's best that I don't get too hung up on settings or else I'll never be satisfied and keep fiddling until I wear the remote out!

What is Pirates Cove?

And James T, do you use Standard and Movie mode depending on what you're watching?
Edited by SteveOL - 6/5/13 at 7:03am
post #2670 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOL View Post

Thanks mate. I'm an addictive type so I think it's best that I don't get too hung up on settings or else I'll never be satisfied and keep fiddling until I wear the remote out!

What is Pirates Cove?

And James T, do you use Standard and Movie mode depending on what you're watching?


Pirates Cove is an other member of this forum he has now left us because he had his TV replaced with a newer model. His settings are there.

You have a high end tv set there capable of great performance be a little adventurous you can always go back to your original settings that is why I suggested you write them down.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that all viewers do not watch the tv with the same settings. What is good for me you may not enjoy.That's why I suggested change the settings then for a couple of days watch the picture.

I use standard all the time as I like a bright crisp colourful picture others enjoy the movie mode.

The local dimming is turned off automatically in the movie mode so the contrasts are not as great
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXES7100 Thread.