or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic ST50 image retention, please help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic ST50 image retention, please help! - Page 5

post #121 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

You assumed that because a few posted this that all of us owners are experiencing this if that were really the case then the forum would be flooded with bad experience one right after another .

No because for some reason people here feel that if they get the blackest blacks and a flawless high source content picture it's a trade-off for them to have to go through the mess of only watching specific material so they can avoid the Complete And Utter Obvious fact that this TV is an IR magnet waiting to happen ... those who know like you all here are aware of this so all you watch is 1080P with no logos, no sports, no games, and no regular HD TV on the lowest backlight and brightness setting possible ... So you can say "Well Mine Doesn't Have IR" ... of course it doesn't cause you don't do half of the things you should normally do on a regular TV so you Don't get this problem.

A TV is to watch TV ... watch ANYTHING .. regardless of logos on channels and sports, so you can play games if and when and for how long you want without having to worry about a game HUD burned into your screen forever, and set your brightness and settings wherever you feel gives you the best picture even if its in "torch mode" as you nerds call it ... You guys are nuts to have to limit your content just cause the TV can't handle it!

A TV is meant to be a Television ... Watch what you want, play what you want, for however long you want, whenever you want, as bright as you want, with as many logos as you want!

This is not a standard TV .. it's a luxury TV .. for those who watch perfect source 1080p movies ... in that case this TV win hands down (the reviews reflect that of course).

I want a nice tv with a Good picture and something I can do what I want to do on it whenever I want.

People need to stop defending the complete FACT that this TV is the worst hands down for IR (this has been proved even by cnet) ... you guys just don't do anything on it at all that is considered "bad" for this TV ...so of course you don't have the problem cause you do EVERYTHING possible to not get it just to say ... "well I don't get IR so you are all wrong".
Edited by falconman515 - 8/11/12 at 4:33pm
post #122 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

No because for some reason people here feel that if they get the blackest blacks and a flawless high source content picture it's a trade-off for them to have to go through the mess of only watching specific material so they can avoid the Complete And Utter Obvious fact that this TV is an IR magnet waiting to happen ... those who know like you all here are aware of this so all you watch is 1080P with no logos, no sports, no games, and no regular HD TV on the lowest backlight and brightness setting possible ... So you can say "Well Mine Doesn't Have IR" ... of course it doesn't cause you don't do half of the things you should normally do on a regular TV so you Don't get this problem.
A TV is to watch TV ... watch ANYTHING .. regardless of logos on channels and sports, so you can play games if and when and for how long you want without having to worry about a game HUD burned into your screen forever, and set your brightness and settings wherever you feel gives you the best picture even if its in "torch mode" as you nerds call it ... You guys are nuts to have to limit your content just cause the TV can't handle it!
A TV is meant to be a Television ... Watch what you want, play what you want, for however long you want, whenever you want, as bright as you want, with as many logos as you want!
This is not a standard TV .. it's a luxury TV .. for those who watch perfect source 1080p movies ... in that case this TV win hands down (the reviews reflect that of course).
I want a nice tv with a Good picture and something I can do what I want to do on it whenever I want.
People need to stop defending the complete FACT that this TV is the worst hands down for IR (this has been proved even by cnet) ... you guys just don't do anything on it at all that is considered "bad" for this TV ...so of course you don't have the problem cause you do EVERYTHING possible to not get it just to say ... "well I don't get IR so you are all wrong".

I do agree that the IR problem on modern plasmas has been downplayed too much in the last couple of years. HOWEVER even though I do see stuff from a game as IR/burn it only shows up faintly on slides and solid background colors. If I didn't look for it, i probably wouldn't have ever seen it. For MOST people, for all intents and purposes there isn't a problem since people just aren't as picky as I am. I think that the "pickiness" factor should be taken into account here. There is that variation in the amount of "blemishes" people are willing to accept or just downright not notice.
post #123 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Who said it isn't? Over 3100 threads with 'Image Retention'. How many more would there be if I searched for 'IR' instead? Hard to say because 'IR' also brings up lots of remote control threads...





Put it in Quotes and you get 2200. Sort them by date and they go back 10 years. Here's a few of the threads that pop up on the first three pages of my results:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/337725/weird-lcd-image-retention
http://www.avsforum.com/t/160260/dila-image-retention
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1131444/what-image-retention-on-led
http://www.avsforum.com/t/954645/enough-with-all-the-clutter-graphics-on-my-hd-screen
http://www.avsforum.com/t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1365649/what-features-would-you-like-in-your-next-oppo-br-player-and-discussion-on-when-it-may-be-released
http://www.avsforum.com/t/678260/anthem-d2-d2v-avm50-avm50v-arc1-tweaking-guide

You can look at the URL and figure out which forums they were posted in and how much relevancy they have. I didn't even cherry pick all the non plasma threads. Some of those didn't even have the phrase "image retention' in them, so I'd take the search results from this forum with a grain of salt,
post #124 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilago View Post

I don't understand the relevance of the last couple of posts...
well anyway, played an online game early on in the life of my VT, thinking that in between matches i'd be fine if i used the scrollling bar. nope. even after nearly 36 hours of continuous running of a moving full screen image, on a solid colored background (green/gray etc) i can see where the bright white numbers have aged those pixels. i thought that since the tv was still somewhat new, i still had a chance to even out the pixels. i'm pretty sure at this point it's permanent. i don't like that there's this new rumour going around that plasma is safe from permanent burn-in. no way.
maybe after another 1000 hours of continuous use it will fully even out but even then, i just don't know.
i am pretty tech saavy and thought i was taking the proper precautions, using zoom feature, scrolling bar and a lower contrast/brightness mode that it would be ok. truth is, i'm starting to understand why some people run their sets for a few days non stop to age it. maybe i can use DSE or banding as a reason to return it and get new 30 day replacement. sort of dishonest i know, but since panasonic didn't make it perfectly clear in the user manual exactly how to use the tv when new, i put the blame on lack of communication.

I sincerely doubt it is burned, or permanent. You didn't have it on that long. This sounds like IR caused by MgO sputtering. The fix is to run a full white screen, not the scrolling bar. How long depends on the level of IR. That will distribute the MgO. Someone else tried this, and it worked great.

Michael
post #125 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I sincerely doubt it is burned, or permanent. You didn't have it on that long. This sounds like IR caused by MgO sputtering. The fix is to run a full white screen, not the scrolling bar. How long depends on the level of IR. That will distribute the MgO. Someone else tried this, and it worked great.
Michael

Interesting theory...Can you point me in the direction of more information? I didn't want to leave an all white screen on too long, as I've heard mixed things about it causing heat damage etc.

I did feel like it shouldn't be burned in at this point. I didn't keep the static image on the screen very long at a time, it seemed to be the repetition of it that caused the problem. thanks for the response.
post #126 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

....A TV is meant to be a Television ... Watch what you want, play what you want, for however long you want, whenever you want, as bright as you want, with as many logos as you want!
....I want a nice tv with a Good picture and something I can do what I want to do on it whenever I want.
People need to stop defending the complete FACT that this TV is the worst hands down for IR (this has been proved even by cnet) ... you guys just don't do anything on it at all that is considered "bad" for this TV ...so of course you don't have the problem cause you do EVERYTHING possible to not get it just to say ... "well I don't get IR so you are all wrong".

Have you read the CNET report article that "proved" that the ST50 is "the worst hands down for IR" - ??

If so, your memory seems a bit faulty. If NOT, perhaps you should take the time: "Samsung plasma wins....".

First thing you might notice is that the ST50 was NOT one of the panels "tested." Oops.

Second thing is that precisely THREE panels were involved in their Accidental Test: it would take a larger number than One Each to even pretend that any given trait - Positive OR Negative - was "Proven."

Third: All of the panels were new: It has long been a given that plasma panels are more susceptible to IR until they've been "aged" for a while. (Admittedly, the definition of "a while" varies....)

Fourth, consider the concluding remarks:
Quote:
If you're buying a TV and want to use it as an occasional PC monitor I would still recommend using an LCD, but gaming and occasional Web browsing on a plasma is fine.
The fact that these effects faded over time should give you some reassurance that this is not a permanent issue for a modern plasma TV. If it doesn't, by all means get an LCD.
Alas, it does appear to be true that a decision between LCD and Plasma is still a trade off: the Permanently Inferior PQ of a LCD vs the POSSIBILITY of Temporary IR on a Plasma. For many people an LCD IS the right choice, but I side with the Cnet author:
Quote:
But despite the ever-decreasing concerns about burn-in there's one reason I will always pick a plasma over an LCD: Image quality. For the money nothing can beat a plasma for deep black levels, wide viewing angles, uniformity, and motion-blur-free gaming.

Fortunately - or Unfortunately, depending on one's point of view - we don't game on our sets (3 Panasonic Plasmas).
Still, our 60ST50 went through a period of Quick Onset IR that lasted until around the 400+ hour mark. But since that time it has settled down, and IR on the ST50 currently appears to be no worse (or better) than on the two older panels: I would not deliberately "abuse" any of the sets, but also do not consider IR to be a PROBLEM with any of them.

If we gamed on the sets, perhaps I would feel differently - but, still, there have have a number of owners who DO game, but have reported NO problems with IR. Luck of the Draw? Hours spent on one "task?" Individual picture settings?

On the face of it, it appears that Samsung is due some praise for handling IR - at least on ONE Specific E6500.
But that does not mean that ALL 2012 Panasonics need be condemned.... eek.gif
post #127 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post


Put it in Quotes and you get 2200. Sort them by date and they go back 10 years. Here's a few of the threads that pop up on the first three pages of my results:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/337725/weird-lcd-image-retention
http://www.avsforum.com/t/160260/dila-image-retention
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1131444/what-image-retention-on-led
http://www.avsforum.com/t/954645/enough-with-all-the-clutter-graphics-on-my-hd-screen
http://www.avsforum.com/t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1365649/what-features-would-you-like-in-your-next-oppo-br-player-and-discussion-on-when-it-may-be-released
http://www.avsforum.com/t/678260/anthem-d2-d2v-avm50-avm50v-arc1-tweaking-guide
You can look at the URL and figure out which forums they were posted in and how much relevancy they have. I didn't even cherry pick all the non plasma threads. Some of those didn't even have the phrase "image retention' in them, so I'd take the search results from this forum with a grain of salt,
OK. Go outside AVS to Google. 'the myth of image retention' yields about 147,000 hits (many of them expressing that it's not a myth). 'plasma image retention' 209,000. My brother in law coming over and asking me why my (backlit LED) set doesn't show the scoreboard after the games over. Also asking me why Lucy isn't short and wide on my set. This is what I see when I hear 'IR'. Plasma may be for the elite few who want to watch 16:9 no logo content (or spend hours correcting the consequence) but I for one want a more worry free viewing experience. I can just imagine telling my wife she has to watch 4 hours of full screen movies because she left the SCRABBLE game on too long...wink.gif

PS: When I searched with quotes here and sorted by recency I didn't see most of those threads. Anyway that's 7 threads out of 30. That means, I guess, there are about 1500 threads with 'Image Retention. As I said before there are no doubt hundreds more if you add 'IR' and 'Burn In' to it.
post #128 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Have you read the CNET report article that "proved" that the ST50 is "the worst hands down for IR" - ??
If so, your memory seems a bit faulty. If NOT, perhaps you should take the time: "Samsung plasma wins....".
First thing you might notice is that the ST50 was NOT one of the panels "tested." Oops.
Second thing is that precisely THREE panels were involved in their Accidental Test: it would take a larger number than One Each to even pretend that any given trait - Positive OR Negative - was "Proven."
Third: All of the panels were new: It has long been a given that plasma panels are more susceptible to IR until they've been "aged" for a while. (Admittedly, the definition of "a while" varies....)
Fourth, consider the concluding remarks:

De-Fense (clap,clap) De-Fense (clap,clap) De-Fense (clap,clap)

ST and GT are the same panel .... Oooopps! (your credibility just stepped out the door after first comment ..lol)

3 panels that you can buy today ... sorry I wasn't thinking about other panels from years past and low grade panels ... they tested the top 3 ... what more do you need.

So they we're new .... ya exaclty what the normal person would do that doesn't nerd out and read these forums ... set it on game settings and play a game (then get IR), set it to vivid cause it looks great and watch sports center (ESPN IR), watch a movie on their favorite network station (Logo IR).

"Normal" users don't "AGE" there televisions ... hell I wouldn't even buy a TV that I have to "Age" ... what the hell is this TV a vintage bottle of wine???

Users need to be aware that this TV is not the TV to buy for the average user!
post #129 of 756
I don't see what the big foo foo is about with the aging thing. used to be, when you bought a car new, you didn't drive it steady for the first 1000 miles or so. and you didn't rev the crap out of it either. it was something EVERYONE had to deal with, in effect, "aging" the engine. Well, I guess I don't consider myself an "average" person anyway so i don't settle for average PQ either. want to see what "average" people like? look at the LG 7600 panel on amazon. Nearly all 5 star reviews. I owned that TV for a while and it was total crap in every area PQ wise except for the 3D. Goes to show what "average" people will just accept for more money.
post #130 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

De-Fense (clap,clap) De-Fense (clap,clap) De-Fense (clap,clap)
ST and GT are the same panel .... Oooopps! (your credibility just stepped out the door after first comment ..lol)
3 panels that you can buy today ... sorry I wasn't thinking about other panels from years past and low grade panels ... they tested the top 3 ... what more do you need.
So they we're new .... ya exaclty what the normal person would do that doesn't nerd out and read these forums ... set it on game settings and play a game (then get IR), set it to vivid cause it looks great and watch sports center (ESPN IR), watch a movie on their favorite network station (Logo IR).
"Normal" users don't "AGE" there televisions ... hell I wouldn't even buy a TV that I have to "Age" ... what the hell is this TV a vintage bottle of wine???
Users need to be aware that this TV is not the TV to buy for the average user![/quote

nevermind
post #131 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilago View Post

I don't see what the big foo foo is about with the aging thing. used to be, when you bought a car new, you didn't drive it steady for the first 1000 miles or so. and you didn't rev the crap out of it either. it was something EVERYONE had to deal with, in effect, "aging" the engine.

I don't know about the newer models but In the case of the older Land Rover's the company encouraged buyers
to beat the hell of of them when new and break em in hard.
They were made to take a beating and it had something to do with increasing the life time of the engine, etc.
post #132 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilago View Post

Interesting theory...Can you point me in the direction of more information? I didn't want to leave an all white screen on too long, as I've heard mixed things about it causing heat damage etc.
I did feel like it shouldn't be burned in at this point. I didn't keep the static image on the screen very long at a time, it seemed to be the repetition of it that caused the problem. thanks for the response.

This was posted on the VT50 forum:


Forget the confusing terminology that is constantly interchanged and mixed up. Here is the scientific info you can trust:

Burn-In, Image retention, image sticking, image ghosting, residual image....etc are all terminology that is constanly interchanged even though there are several mechanisms involved.

Here is a list of the actual mechanisms that I know of in order of probability (most probable first)

1 - phosphorescence - there is a long afterglow component of phosphors that can be seen even when the display is off. It is very very faint however and eventually dissipates.

2 - Residual charge - Plasma displays use dielectric charges to control the on or off states of the pixel. If there is a slight residual charge left when the pixel is turned off the next time it turns on the pixel will be slightly brighter than normal. This will show up as a ghost image on a dark screen. You can tell it is residual charge because the ghost image is slightly brighter than the dark background. This ghost image is transient and easily removed by either a full white screen or watching full screen material for a few hours.

3 - MgO Sputtering - High energy discharge in Plasma displays causes Magnesium Oxide to sputter and deposit onto the phosphor and adjacent pixels. The result is a long lasting ghost image that can take many days to remove. It can be seen as a slightly darker image on a full white screen. Ironically, a full white screen for many hours is the best course of action to resolve this issue as it normalized the deposition of MgO to all pixels (evens it out)

4 - Phosphor aging - Permanent aging of the phosphor material that causes a slightly darker ghost image that is irreversible.

Finally, the screen wipe feature is not useless and will not aggressively "age" your display. It is there to normalize wall charge and MgO deposition (see why above). Remember, plasma displays use dynamic brightness control, so a full white screen or a scrolling white bar should not aggressively age your display.


So the first thing to do is to determine is the IR is lighter or darker than a grey screen. If lighter, go to #2. If darker, go to #3.

Michael
Edited by Michael2000 - 8/12/12 at 12:10pm
post #133 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

This was posted on the VT50 forum:
Forget the confusing terminology that is constantly interchanged and mixed up. Here is the scientific info you can trust:
Burn-In, Image retention, image sticking, image ghosting, residual image....etc are all terminology that is constanly interchanged even though there are several mechanisms involved.
Here is a list of the actual mechanisms that I know of in order of probability (most probable first)
1 - phosphorescence - there is a long afterglow component of phosphors that can be seen even when the display is off. It is very very faint however and eventually dissipates.
2 - Residual charge - Plasma displays use dielectric charges to control the on or off states of the pixel. If there is a slight residual charge left when the pixel is turned off the next time it turns on the pixel will be slightly brighter than normal. This will show up as a ghost image on a dark screen. You can tell it is residual charge because the ghost image is slightly brighter than the dark background. This ghost image is transient and easily removed by either a full white screen or watching full screen material for a few hours.
3 - MgO Sputtering - High energy discharge in Plasma displays causes Magnesium Oxide to sputter and deposit onto the phosphor and adjacent pixels. The result is a long lasting ghost image that can take many days to remove. It can be seen as a slightly darker image on a full white screen. Ironically, a full white screen for many hours is the best course of action to resolve this issue as it normalized the deposition of MgO to all pixels (evens it out)
4 - Phosphor aging - Permanent aging of the phosphor material that causes a slightly darker ghost image that is irreversible.
Finally, the screen wipe feature is not useless and will not aggressively "age" your display. It is there to normalize wall charge and MgO deposition (see why above). Remember, plasma displays use dynamic brightness control, so a full white screen or a scrolling white bar should not aggressively age your display.
So the first thing to do is to determine is the IR is lighter or darker than a grey screen. If lighter, go to #2. If darker, go to #3.
Michael

Thanks. It's slightly darker, but interestingly when the screen is very bright it's difficult or impossible to see.... Like I said, it's faint but I'll give this a go and see what happens.
post #134 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

I don't know about the newer models but In the case of the older Land Rover's the company encouraged buyers
to beat the hell of of them when new and break em in hard.
They were made to take a beating and it had something to do with increasing the life time of the engine, etc.

There are opposing theories about this. I've read that you are supposed to drive it hard (at least for the newer models) to seat the piston rings but there's a problem. Since the engine is new, it tends to drop small metal shavings into the oil pan. running it hard would be recommended in my motorcycle service manual if that was the correct procedure. i've even heard of people having engine problems later because they failed to follow this procedure. either way, the engine still requires "break in" hence the point i was trying to make. you can't use either one "normally" in the beginning.
post #135 of 756
I was all set to buy the ST50 until I found this thread.

Plasma seems to be be the best performer for sports content however IR has me worried because I watch a lot of hockey---hockey has a lot of uniform white screen (ice) where I fear any IR will be clearly visible (like on the solid grey/green slides)
Am I right to be concerned?
Edited by kfox203 - 8/12/12 at 8:07pm
post #136 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox203 View Post

I was all set to buy the ST50 until I found this thread.
Plasma seems to be be the best performer for sports content however IR has me worried because I watch a lot of hockey---hockey has a lot of uniform white screen (ice) where I fear any IR will be clearly visible (like on the solid grey/green slides)
Am I right to be concerned?

I would read all the threads if this one in particular seems to trouble you and I will save you some time there is no perfect panel there are trade offs for all its just for the money this one happens to offer the best picture quality for this year next year something else may hold that title.
post #137 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox203 View Post

I was all set to buy the ST50 until I found this thread.
Plasma seems to be be the best performer for sports content however IR has me worried because I watch a lot of hockey---hockey has a lot of uniform white screen (ice) where I fear any IR will be clearly visible (like on the solid grey/green slides)
Am I right to be concerned?
Not an issue from my own hockey viewing with an ST50.
Any slight temporary IR I can only see on the darkest gray slide image, not lighter gray or white background - those are completely clean!
post #138 of 756
So it too suffers from Image Retention ... regardless of severity this tv seems to stricken with this issue.

Whether its temporary or can only be seen when on dark slides or can be seen during normal viewing ... this tv's panel is just bad for potential IR.

They say the GT is the worst ... but all 3 of these TV's are basically three same panel for the most part so they all suffer from this hindering issue.
post #139 of 756
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to show a full white slide without the screensaver kicking in?

Also, is there a way to adjust the settings (or a built in setting) so that I can create a negative image?
post #140 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox203 View Post

I was all set to buy the ST50 until I found this thread.
Plasma seems to be be the best performer for sports content however IR has me worried because I watch a lot of hockey---hockey has a lot of uniform white screen (ice) where I fear any IR will be clearly visible (like on the solid grey/green slides)
Am I right to be concerned?

It's not the uniforms or ice to be concerned about as much as the stationary logos (ESPN, CNN,etc...) and tickers like scores, stocks, news that you need to be worried about. The first 80-100 hours especially where you need to be cautious of your viewing content for extended periods. Just vary your channels a bit to break it in and you'll be fine.
post #141 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox203 View Post

I was all set to buy the ST50 until I found this thread.
Plasma seems to be be the best performer for sports content however IR has me worried because I watch a lot of hockey---hockey has a lot of uniform white screen (ice) where I fear any IR will be clearly visible (like on the solid grey/green slides)
Am I right to be concerned?

The LCDs have a similar problem called Dirty Screen Effect on white screens (ice). The difference is that is built into the screen, and it is permanent. It's a matter of "pick your poison".

Michael
post #142 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

The LCDs have a similar problem called Dirty Screen Effect on white screens (ice). The difference is that is built into the screen, and it is permanent. It's a matter of "pick your poison".
Michael

+1

LG7600 top seller on amazon, suffers from this BADLY
post #143 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

It's not the uniforms or ice to be concerned about as much as the stationary logos (ESPN, CNN,etc...) and tickers like scores, stocks, news that you need to be worried about. The first 80-100 hours especially where you need to be cautious of your viewing content for extended periods. Just vary your channels a bit to break it in and you'll be fine.

I wasn't clear in my post- What i'm worried about is IR being clearly visible while watching hockey because the content has so much solid colour (white ice).... I have a 12 year old rear projection Toshiba in my wreck-room; it has permanent burn-in of logos, tickers, etc that is very noticeable only when watching hockey- I see the shadows on the solid white ice.. I don't want this in my new TV-
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

Not an issue from my own hockey viewing with an ST50.
Any slight temporary IR I can only see on the darkest gray slide image, not lighter gray or white background - those are completely clean!

What other content do you watch? Do you have IR and not see it on the white ice or do you just not have IR at all because you are 'careful' about what you watch?
Edited by kfox203 - 8/13/12 at 9:51pm
post #144 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

This was posted on the VT50 forum:
Forget the confusing terminology that is constantly interchanged and mixed up. Here is the scientific info you can trust:
Burn-In, Image retention, image sticking, image ghosting, residual image....etc are all terminology that is constanly interchanged even though there are several mechanisms involved.
Here is a list of the actual mechanisms that I know of in order of probability (most probable first)
1 - phosphorescence - there is a long afterglow component of phosphors that can be seen even when the display is off. It is very very faint however and eventually dissipates.
2 - Residual charge - Plasma displays use dielectric charges to control the on or off states of the pixel. If there is a slight residual charge left when the pixel is turned off the next time it turns on the pixel will be slightly brighter than normal. This will show up as a ghost image on a dark screen. You can tell it is residual charge because the ghost image is slightly brighter than the dark background. This ghost image is transient and easily removed by either a full white screen or watching full screen material for a few hours.
3 - MgO Sputtering - High energy discharge in Plasma displays causes Magnesium Oxide to sputter and deposit onto the phosphor and adjacent pixels. The result is a long lasting ghost image that can take many days to remove. It can be seen as a slightly darker image on a full white screen. Ironically, a full white screen for many hours is the best course of action to resolve this issue as it normalized the deposition of MgO to all pixels (evens it out)
4 - Phosphor aging - Permanent aging of the phosphor material that causes a slightly darker ghost image that is irreversible.
Finally, the screen wipe feature is not useless and will not aggressively "age" your display. It is there to normalize wall charge and MgO deposition (see why above). Remember, plasma displays use dynamic brightness control, so a full white screen or a scrolling white bar should not aggressively age your display.
So the first thing to do is to determine is the IR is lighter or darker than a grey screen. If lighter, go to #2. If darker, go to #3.
Michael

Unless for some reason we don't believe Michael2000 I really don't understand the continued concern about IR. Step 2 or step 3 both require the use of a white screen to remedy the IR problem. One just requires a little longer procedure.
post #145 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Unless for some reason we don't believe Michael2000 I really don't understand the continued concern about IR. Step 2 or step 3 both require the use of a white screen to remedy the IR problem. One just requires a little longer procedure.

Even stronger, who CARES if it was #1, #2, #3, #4 or the recently inferred "God" particle! Knowing or speculating what produced it does nothing b/c there is only one method (basically) to remove it. We don't care about the physics-of-plamas-panels, we are concerned w/ how to avoid it.
post #146 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox203 View Post

I was all set to buy the ST50 until I found this thread....

Well despite all the positive reviews from the experts along with great online reviews and great reviews from the actual owners you can respectfully thank FALCON-TROLL for single handedly turning your head in the negative direction because he knows better than the rest of us and knows what's best for us. wink.gif
post #147 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Well despite all the positive reviews from the experts along with great online reviews and great reviews from the actual owners you can respectfully thank FALCON-TROLL for single handedly turning your head in the negative direction because he knows better than the rest of us and knows what's best for us. wink.gif

No I made him realize that this technology may not be for viewing habits based on what type of programming he watches!

I could Care Less about the positive reviews by all you owners defending it till die and the expert reviews on on the amazing picture quality etc. etc. ..... that has NOTHING to do with the Image Retention / Burn-In issue that this Tv Suffers from more than any other at the moment it looks like!

You can call me what you will but more than likely I saved this guy and many others in making the mistake in buying this line of panasonic plasmas!

If you want to do nothing but watch movies with no logos, no sports, no games then I would GO FOR IT! But if you watch normal TV like many others with static logos and like to game for a few hours at a time .... then STAY AWAY!

You guys and defending this TV just baffles this hell out me cause you like to sit in dungeon with low brightness settings and choose to not run the default settings they all say are bad watching movies with no bars, no logos, nothing static and then you say .... "Ohh no this TV doesn't have Ir" ... Cause you NEVER do anything like normal people do to ever even see it!

If you are a standard TV watcher then it seems obvious it's gonna happen at some point.

Stop trying to defend this crap and saying it does not suffer from IR ... CAUSE IT DOES!

And I will continue to "Troll" on as you nerds say so people are made aware of this issue before they spend a couple thousand dollars of their hard earned money on something that has a major issue for normal tv viewing.

Now it's your turn to "Defend" this TV and say I the tons of people online that have this issue have no clue what their talking about.
post #148 of 756
Well just when I thought I had it decided, this thread is making me rethink.

The condescending tone of people who dismiss the problem is not helping. I don't think people who post in this forum are rubes who don't know what they are doing and leave the TV on 100% contrast and Espn all day. It sounds like you'll get ir from normal usage. By normal, I mean using your TV without constantly minding about how it's used.

I have to ask myself if I want to deal with the hassle. If I'm going to have to watch the ladies watch project runway with a knot in my stomach because of that ugly red lifetime logo. Umm, honey, that's two project runway in a row now. Can you watch something else before you ruin my TV? If I want this much bother, I may as well get a projector and worry about bulb life and on off cycles instead.

At least with LCD, you know the problems are what they are and you're not going to make them worse no matter what you do.

I looked in the owners thread and only reading 2, 3 pages I see people discussing ir.

Arrghh.
post #149 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

No I made him realize that this technology may not be for viewing habits based on what type of programming he watches!
I could Care Less about the positive reviews by all you owners defending it till die and the expert reviews on on the amazing picture quality etc. etc. ..... that has NOTHING to do with the Image Retention / Burn-In issue that this Tv Suffers from more than any other at the moment it looks like!
You can call me what you will but more than likely I saved this guy and many others in making the mistake in buying this line of panasonic plasmas!
If you want to do nothing but watch movies with no logos, no sports, no games then I would GO FOR IT! But if you watch normal TV like many others with static logos and like to game for a few hours at a time .... then STAY AWAY!
You guys and defending this TV just baffles this hell out me cause you like to sit in dungeon with low brightness settings and choose to not run the default settings they all say are bad watching movies with no bars, no logos, nothing static and then you say .... "Ohh no this TV doesn't have Ir" ... Cause you NEVER do anything like normal people do to ever even see it!
If you are a standard TV watcher then it seems obvious it's gonna happen at some point.
Stop trying to defend this crap and saying it does not suffer from IR ... CAUSE IT DOES!
And I will continue to "Troll" on as you nerds say so people are made aware of this issue before they spend a couple thousand dollars of their hard earned money on something that has a major issue for normal tv viewing.
Now it's your turn to "Defend" this TV and say I the tons of people online that have this issue have no clue what their talking about.

My question for you is what do you own personally ? Plasma, LCD and do you have any personal experience with Plasma's or IR ?
post #150 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Well despite all the positive reviews from the experts along with great online reviews and great reviews from the actual owners you can respectfully thank FALCON-TROLL for single handedly turning your head in the negative direction because he knows better than the rest of us and knows what's best for us. wink.gif

Maybe he's talking about something like this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417201/led-lcd-to-replace-vt50#post_22171948
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic ST50 image retention, please help!