or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 Tour de France
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Tour de France

post #1 of 82
Thread Starter 
I thought I'd start this a couple weeks early. There's been some interesting things happen so far (and not happen). Is Team Sky the monster team it looks like so far? Can Wiggins, with the team help, win The Tour this year? Can BMC support Cadel? Did Andy Schleck really "drop the ball" this year? Will Sagan be a match for Cavendish? In yesterday's Tour de Suisse stage it was mentioned that the peloton may not have chased down the break away so Sagan couldn't win. I think he's won every sprint he's been in from the Tour of California onward including a prolog stage.

larry
post #2 of 82
I have not been paying close attention to the prelude tours, just casual viewing, but it seems like the major tour contenders have avoided (or missed) competing against each other. I have no clue as to who will be favored or which teams will be impressive.
post #3 of 82
Thread Starter 
Wiggins and Evans raced each other in the Criterium du Dauphine. Wiggins had 3 other teammates at times in the high mountains where Evans just had TJ Van Garderen. I don't know all the team riders wrt strength, but it looked like Sky had their "A Team" except for Cavendish. As always, it will be an interesting Tour. Although there's only 5 mountain stages this year and two longish time trials (no team time trial).
post #4 of 82
I just hope RS-Nissan mgmt sees the error of its ways and lets Chris Horner back onto the Tour squad
post #5 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I just hope RS-Nissan mgmt sees the error of its ways and lets Chris Horner back onto the Tour squad

Since they left out Horner i was looking forward to cheering against the Schlecks, but now one of them is injured. Hopefully the team gets to race the TDF because of the new Armstrong allegations may hurt the team

Anyone else watch the races on British Eurosport on the internet? I prefer their broadcasters over the guys at NBC
post #6 of 82
Phil and Paul are the best announcers cycling can have....Bob Roll is ok. As long as they never bring back Al Trautwig or Craig Hummer I'll be happy.
post #7 of 82
Thread Starter 
Sagan takes another sprint after getting caught along the barriers. I can't wait to see him and Cavendish go head to head.

re: British Eurosport coverage - With the US networks it's so nice having the races and tours be in HD. The scenery can be gorgeous! I have no problem with Phil and Paul. Been listening to them for years.

larry
post #8 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I just hope RS-Nissan mgmt sees the error of its ways and lets Chris Horner back onto the Tour squad






Horner burned his bridges when he complained in the press about not making the Tour team, but now that he's made the Olympic team he'll concentrate his training on that. If you saw the Mt. Baldy stage in the Tour of California you know he's got enough talent to do some damage in London. Mt. Baldy was the most amazing stage I've seen in any race in a few years.

In fact, RS/Leopard is a bit screwed up as a team. Reports were that Cancellara and the Schlecks were very vocal against joining up with Johann when the teams merged. The fighting between Frank Schleck and Johann at the Giro didn't do anything to change anyone's mind. And now that Andy's out for the Tour, I don't expect to hear much about the team in July.
post #9 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Sagan takes another sprint after getting caught along the barriers. I can't wait to see him and Cavendish go head to head.
re: British Eurosport coverage - With the US networks it's so nice having the races and tours be in HD. The scenery can be gorgeous! I have no problem with Phil and Paul. Been listening to them for years.
larry




I really hope there's some fireworks in the sprints. There's nothing worse than seeing the same guy win every one. And it would be good to see someone shut Cavendish up! biggrin.gif
post #10 of 82
Main GC & Sprint finishes should make for a great tour this year
post #11 of 82

Did anyone subscribe to NBCSports online Tour de France coverage last year? I presume Phil and Paul anchor the coverage and that alone might make it worthwhile for me. If it streams reasonably well I think I'll sign up.

post #12 of 82
Hopefully I'm not alone here, but is anyone else dismayed at NBS Sports showing the majority of the cycling events in their bizarre 16X8 (or so...) squish-o-vision? The Amgen tour was san's ticker, or at least when it was there, they didn't squish the picture, same for Paris Roubaix as I recall. I'm behind on the DVR, and the entire Dauphne was squished, as is Switzerland. I fear that aside from liver coverage, this years tour is going to be squished as well.
post #13 of 82
Squished into 16x8 eh? Just what kind of setup do you use?

I'd be glad to be done with Phil and Paul...Phil can't keep things straight any more, Paul's okay, informative but a bit boring. Bobke's interesting at least. Time for some new blood but there's probably not a lot of room for a development squad smile.gif

I'll watch some of it, at least with the dvr I can choose my poison so to speak.
post #14 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Squished into 16x8 eh? Just what kind of setup do you use?
I believe he's talking about when NBCS puts on the score ticker at the bottom, it's not like ESPN where they just overlay the bottom 9% or so of the screen with the BottomLine. So, at least ESPN keeps the aspect ratio. NBCS forces the horizontal pixels upward (like E! does) so you're getting 720 lines of pixels in a ~700 line box. Thus, squished.
post #15 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Did anyone subscribe to NBCSports online Tour de France coverage last year? I presume Phil and Paul anchor the coverage and that alone might make it worthwhile for me. If it streams reasonably well I think I'll sign up.

I usually watch live for free on British Eurosport at work then on the weekends or the replays at night I will watch NBC Sports
post #16 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Squished into 16x8 eh? Just what kind of setup do you use?
I'd be glad to be done with Phil and Paul...Phil can't keep things straight any more, Paul's okay, informative but a bit boring. Bobke's interesting at least. Time for some new blood but there's probably not a lot of room for a development squad smile.gif
I'll watch some of it, at least with the dvr I can choose my poison so to speak.

totally agree with the comments about Phil & Paul, even this week on the Tour De Suisse its all cycling gossip, to the point where Horner had to correct their statements on twitter

This is why i lean to the internet broadcast on Eurosport
post #17 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post

I believe he's talking about when NBCS puts on the score ticker at the bottom, it's not like ESPN where they just overlay the bottom 9% or so of the screen with the BottomLine. So, at least ESPN keeps the aspect ratio. NBCS forces the horizontal pixels upward (like E! does) so you're getting 720 lines of pixels in a ~700 line box. Thus, squished.

Ah, I see now what you mean. Guess my brain still remembers Versus more than the new owner's presentation....had to go look at some of the Tour de Suisse on the dvr. Slight squish, I've seen this sort of squishing before (maybe even on espn?), fortunately the ticker on NBCS is slim. Sure wish there was a ticker on/off feature in general, too.
post #18 of 82
Chris Horner and jens Voight added to the RS team. I guess they had to get Chris after Andy Schleck was injured.
This is the team as of today:

RADIOSHACK TEAM FOR TOUR DE FRANCE:

Fabian Cancellara (SUI), Tony Gallopin (FRA), Chris Horner (USA), Andreas Kloeden (GER), Maxime Monfort (BEL), Yaroslav Popovych (UKR), Frank Schleck (LUX), Jens Voigt (GER), Haimar Zubeldia (ESP)
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post

Chris Horner and jens Voight added to the RS team. I guess they had to get Chris after Andy Schleck was injured.
This is the team as of today:
RADIOSHACK TEAM FOR TOUR DE FRANCE:
Fabian Cancellara (SUI), Tony Gallopin (FRA), Chris Horner (USA), Andreas Kloeden (GER), Maxime Monfort (BEL), Yaroslav Popovych (UKR), Frank Schleck (LUX), Jens Voigt (GER), Haimar Zubeldia (ESP)




Glad I was wrong about Horner. Guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
post #20 of 82
It looks like Cavendish is not going to go all out for the sprints. Not surprisingly he'll be concentrating on the Olympics. I figured he was going to pull out after the first week anyway.




http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/cavendish-ready-sacrifice-tour-stage-110027968--oly.html
post #21 of 82
I hope Cavendish rides well in the Olympics! I also believe Peter Sagan has his number this year in terms of battling for the green jersey.
post #22 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

It looks like Cavendish is not going to go all out for the sprints. Not surprisingly he'll be concentrating on the Olympics. I figured he was going to pull out after the first week anyway.




http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/cavendish-ready-sacrifice-tour-stage-110027968--oly.html
Excuses already for when he gets whipped by Sagan? biggrin.gif

larry
post #23 of 82
It looks like the first week should be crazier than usual- if that's possible. wink.gif All the big sprinters will be looking for wins before they drop out of the race earlier than usual. We'll get to see how good Sagan *really* is when he goes against all the other top guns.

I can't wait! biggrin.gif
post #24 of 82
Should be interesting to see if Radio Shack is even going to be in this years Tour. Lots of problems in this team.



http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radioshack-nissans-tale-of-woe-continues
post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Should be interesting to see if Radio Shack is even going to be in this years Tour. Lots of problems in this team.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radioshack-nissans-tale-of-woe-continues

How about a more recent story from the same source http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voigt-morale-in-radioshack-is-good-at-tour-de-france

With the Schlecks on board, does it become the Radio Schack team ? smile.gif

ps Of course not, that would make it Radio Schleck....not too far off since it's basically Radio Schlock already smile.gif
Edited by lovinthehd - 6/28/12 at 7:46pm
post #26 of 82
The coverage on NBCSN tonight is full screen with no squishing of the video for the scroll graphic at the bottom of the screen.
post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

How about a more recent story from the same source http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voigt-morale-in-radioshack-is-good-at-tour-de-france
With the Schlecks on board, does it become the Radio Schack team ? smile.gif
ps Of course not, that would make it Radio Schleck....not too far off since it's basically Radio Schlock already smile.gif



What do you want Jens to say. The morale on our team sucks? : ) Frank was absolutely crucified by the fans for those dumb comments he made so he changed his story awful quick! The Schlecks are coming off like a couple of crybabies who can't even race without each other. First Frank pulls out of the Giro, which surprised the heck out of the rest of his team. Then Andy was so terrible at the Dauphine that even the TV announcers were saying he was dogging it. It's actually lucky he had to pull out with a fracture because he would have taken a world class beating at the Tour. Then Frank started whining he wasn't good enough to lead the team at the Tour. rolleyes.gif

Here's my advice for the Schleck brothers. Stop looking around for each other and start looking for the finish line! rolleyes.gif
Edited by ti-triodes - 7/1/12 at 4:06pm
post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

The coverage on NBCSN tonight is full screen with no squishing of the video for the scroll graphic at the bottom of the screen.




The coverage at NBCSN will never be good until they lose that worthless scroll at the bottom of the screen.
post #29 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

The coverage on NBCSN tonight is full screen with no squishing of the video for the scroll graphic at the bottom of the screen.




The coverage at NBCSN will never be good until they lose that worthless scroll at the bottom of the screen.
It does need to be gone or at least an overlay. Also, I don't know if it's a Comcast problem (too many channels per QAM channel) or NBC (too low bit rate) but PQ is not as good as VS, mostly artifacts with motion. But, it's still better than SD. However, things should be getting better, not worse as the tech gets cheaper and more widespread.

Sagan didn't fall for Cancellara's "Come on, help me out here" in the last K or so and took the win on a somewhat brutal finish run in. Cavendish is 10lbs lighter now, where was he? Today's stage will be a sprint. Hopefully the finish is nice and long and wide.

larry
post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

It does need to be gone or at least an overlay. Also, I don't know if it's a Comcast problem (too many channels per QAM channel) or NBC (too low bit rate) but PQ is not as good as VS, mostly artifacts with motion. But, it's still better than SD. However, things should be getting better, not worse as the tech gets cheaper and more widespread.
Sagan didn't fall for Cancellara's "Come on, help me out here" in the last K or so and took the win on a somewhat brutal finish run in. Cavendish is 10lbs lighter now, where was he? Today's stage will be a sprint. Hopefully the finish is nice and long and wide.
larry

Pretty entertaining so far with the first three days....Cancellara, Sagan and now Cavendish. That was a nice brutal run up to the finish on the first stage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 Tour de France