or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › 2 Dayton Titanic MK III 15s or 1 TC Sounds LMS-R 15
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2 Dayton Titanic MK III 15s or 1 TC Sounds LMS-R 15 - Page 2

post #31 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

The titanics are great drivers. You can't go wrong. Throw them in 6 CF sealed boxes, a ep4000 or similar and you have a winner!

Yeah. +1

Do this and get extension down to the single digits. Easy.
post #32 of 112
The smaller 2"x12"x52" port, and the option to use .75" material for the entire box means a smaller enclosure will be the result. Play around with the volume calculator.
post #33 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

The titanics are great drivers. You can't go wrong. Throw them in 6 CF sealed boxes, a ep4000 or similar and you have a winner!

when I model it in WinISD in a 6ft^3 sealed enclosure, it passes Xmax at 20 Hz...and at 10 Hz its 2.5 MM beyond Xmax...isn't this bad?
post #34 of 112

Then decrease box size till excursion is controlled. The EP4000 will put out 633w per channel at 4ohms so 3.5cu ft looks good to me.

post #35 of 112
Thread Starter 
It might be me, but a 3.5 f^3 sealed box doesn't seem to get me where I want, atleast not with these subs. that would get it just barely under xmax at 20 Hz, and all the way down to 92 dB with it that close to xmax, I can't really bump the low end up any or it goes way over xmax. I think I'll stay with the 8 ft^3 ported box,
post #36 of 112

104db at 20hz is not bad, add around 6db if you co-locate the other sub. If you need high output at 20hz then go with multiples. If that is too expensive then a big ported box tuned to 20hz will do.

 

Untitled.png

 

1.png

 

Now compare TWO Titanics in a 7cu ft sealed enclosure with 1336w and ONE Titanic in a ported 8cu ft enclosure tuned to 20hz with 633w.

 

Sealed is yellow

Ported is gray

3.png


Edited by Mrkazador - 6/18/12 at 2:17pm
post #37 of 112
Thread Starter 
I was hoping a large ported box tuned to 12 Hz....lol

My goal is 15Hz or lower...hoping these subs will get me there.
post #38 of 112
If I was you I would go with two of the mk3 in sealed box on a ep4000 for now. With your small space you should have plenty of room gain and pressure vessel gain down low to give you a boost and compliment the roll-off of a sealed system. This will give you like 20-30db more output than you currently have with those bics at 20hz. Need more output or headroom, add two more and another ep4000 down the road. 4 mk3s in 3.5 cubes each and two ep4000 would be a great system in your space.

A ported enclosure is a more difficult build and would probably have a peak response around tuning in a room that size when you put up another wall, and will need a hpf.

Plus you have the option of just ordering up a few of these and don't have to worry about cutting anything. Can even get them with the proper cutout for the titanic.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/subwoofer-flatpacks/35-sub-flat-pack.html
post #39 of 112
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the Reply Luke!

I was just telling Jonathan the other day how I wasn't in this to do an AIY, but I was wanting to do a DIY. I think the fun part is creating the masterpiece. Plus I'm wanting to be able to feel 15 Hz..not just out do my BICs. And I wasn't wanting to add more later. frown.gif I'm not really worried about the difficulty of the build. If you think the room gain on the sealed boxes would get me up to 110 dB with 2 of them, I'm willing to go that route, I've just always liked ported boxes lol
post #40 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnitro07 View Post

I was hoping a large ported box tuned to 12 Hz....lol
My goal is 15Hz or lower...hoping these subs will get me there.

In that case you're going to want to go sealed and use several of these Titanics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnitro07 View Post

Thanks for the Reply Luke!
I was just telling Jonathan the other day how I wasn't in this to do an AIY, but I was wanting to do a DIY. I think the fun part is creating the masterpiece. Plus I'm wanting to be able to feel 15 Hz..not just out do my BICs. And I wasn't wanting to add more later. frown.gif I'm not really worried about the difficulty of the build. If you think the room gain on the sealed boxes would get me up to 110 dB with 2 of them, I'm willing to go that route, I've just always liked ported boxes lol

Not all drivers are suitable for the job to extend that low in a vented box. You'll need a large 18" most likely and build an enclosure like mine that you can see in my avatar and in my sig.
post #41 of 112
Thread Starter 
if thats the case, then would I be better putting them in the same enclosure? in order to get the 6 dB increase, they have to be collocated and what not, so is it better to do one box with 2 subs or 2 boxes?
post #42 of 112

Technically you get a 6db increase if they are close to each other. If you separate them, you can flatten the freq response by trying to find the best position for the two subs

post #43 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Technically you get a 6db increase if they are close to each other. If you separate them, you can flatten the freq response by trying to find the best position for the two subs

Ah I was under the impression they had to be like on top of each other. I currently have 3 BICs all over my room to get the flattest results possible in my room with the subs I have. they are in the shape of an obtuse triangle around the room lol....however, they still roll off at like 30 Hz. Thanks.
post #44 of 112

This is a good article about subwoofer and room gain.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=80

post #45 of 112
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the read, now I"m interested to see what they can do sealed....in an itty bitty room.

Luke, you wanna help build? :P
post #46 of 112
They're good man, the 2 I build can really pound. Though mine were in 3 CF boxes but that was because I was giving them away and the guy needed them to be that small.
post #47 of 112
Thread Starter 
Well I ordered he drivers on Saturday, they'll be here someday
post #48 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnitro07 View Post

Thanks for the read, now I"m interested to see what they can do sealed....in an itty bitty room.
Luke, you wanna help build? :P

Just dont plan on using a regular plate amp, as there will be a HPF killing the resonse around 18-20hz. The O Audio 500 watt would still be a good option for sealed with all the boost down low. Otherwise you're going to want a pro amp.
post #49 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Otherwise you're going to want a pro amp.

+1,000

Yes, if you intend on going sealed and desire response below 20hz ...skip the plate amps.
post #50 of 112
Thread Starter 
Was going to get the inuke 3000dsp, however someone had mentioned getting an ep4000 with a mini dsp....which do you guys think would be better for this set up?

EP4000 with minidsp
Inuke 3000DSP
Inuke 6000DSP

Thoughts?
Edited by kcnitro07 - 6/19/12 at 4:02am
post #51 of 112
Definitely EP4000 with MiniDSP.

I have the iNuke3000 DSP and love it, but the built in DSP is limited to 20hz.
post #52 of 112
Thread Starter 
Alright, I did a little analyzing and came up with this cost matrix, am I missing anything?

Subwoofers Cost Matrix


Item Quantity Budgeted Cost Total Cost Prediction Purchase price over/under budget
Dayton 15" subs 2 199 398 393 -5
Behringer EP4000 1 369 369 -369
miniDSP 1 125 125 -125
MDF 4x8 sheet 4 38 152 -152
polyfil 1 35 35 -35
Wood Glue 1 12 12 -12
screws 1 20 20 -20
speaker wire 1 15 15 -15
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
Total 1126 393


edit: I haven't decided on finishing, so those costs would be added later, thoughts include a look similar to the captivators (rough rubbery look) maybe through a truck bed spray on liner or similar? or a veneer finish.
post #53 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

If I was you I would go with two of the mk3 in sealed box on a ep4000 for now. With your small space you should have plenty of room gain and pressure vessel gain down low to give you a boost and compliment the roll-off of a sealed system. This will give you like 20-30db more output than you currently have with those bics at 20hz. Need more output or headroom, add two more and another ep4000 down the road. 4 mk3s in 3.5 cubes each and two ep4000 would be a great system in your space.

A ported enclosure is a more difficult build and would probably have a peak response around tuning in a room that size when you put up another wall, and will need a hpf.

Plus you have the option of just ordering up a few of these and don't have to worry about cutting anything. Can even get them with the proper cutout for the titanic.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/subwoofer-flatpacks/35-sub-flat-pack.html


Man at $300 bucks a pop that seems a really nice price!

$200 for the Titanic driver at PE right now, and then $100 for the real nice flat boxes off your link!

I wonder how six or eight of these in sealed cabs would compare to something like my pair of JTR Captivator Pros?

Nelson, or Luke buy more! eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #54 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Man at $300 bucks a pop that seems a really nice price!
$200 for the Titanic driver at PE right now, and then $100 for the real nice flat boxes off your link!
I wonder how six or eight of these in sealed cabs would compare to something like my pair of JTR Captivator Pros?
Nelson, or Luke buy more! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

More than $300, gotta buy the amps to power it!
post #55 of 112
I've got amps man. :P

Too bad you hadn't plotted this course about three weeks back. I sold my 9 month old EP4000 amp on craigslist for $275. Musicians Friend has a 15% off father's day coupon that expires today. It's listed on their main site. Their EP4000 is $369, and you'd save $55 by using the coupon --- but you have to purchase today or wait for the next 10 or 15% off coupon release. They do seem to release couponse a few times per year.


As to cost - - -Probably counting finishing the DIY boxes and additional shipping costs --- with the current sale prices you could probably get about six of the Titantic 15's and the flat pack sealed boxs for the same price as a couple Captivator passive subs.

Nelson I know you are wanting to build the boxes, but you are willing to spend more to make a box over purchasing the flat pack version you can buy and simply assemble --- even though it will cost you more to cut, build and assemble yourself for a probable inferior end result DIY version??? There is no way an amateur wood worker can compete with a established CNC design.
post #56 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I've got amps man. :P
Too bad you hadn't plotted this course about three weeks back. I sold my 9 month old EP4000 amp on craigslist for $275. Musicians Friend has a 15% off father's day coupon that expires today. It's listed on their main site. Their EP4000 is $369, and you'd save $55 by using the coupon --- but you have to purchase today or wait for the next 10 or 15% off coupon release. They do seem to release couponse a few times per year.
As to cost - - -Probably counting finishing the DIY boxes and additional shipping costs --- with the current sale prices you could probably get about six of the Titantic 15's and the flat pack sealed boxs for the same price as a couple Captivator passive subs.
Nelson I know you are wanting to build the boxes, but you are willing to spend more to make a box over purchasing the flat pack version you can buy and simply assemble --- even though it will cost you more to cut, build and assemble yourself for a probable inferior end result DIY version??? There is no way an amateur wood worker can compete with a established CNC design.


Yes, I like doing things the hard way! I don't have the money to buy the amp since I bought the drivers on sale. One piece at a time here on this budget.

Like I said before, making the box is the fun part
Edited by kcnitro07 - 6/19/12 at 12:05pm
post #57 of 112
I have been following this thread closely and am interested in possibly building a similar setup. My goal, like the original poster, is to get deep bass extension.

Following the thread I have noticed that there have been a couple of different recommended sealed enclosure sizes for the 15 inch titanic drivers. Specifically, the 3.5 foot flat pack enclosure or 6 cu ft enclosures.

I would be building two subwoofers with a single titanic driver per enclosure and using a ep4000 amp. Could someone graph my potential setup with the two different sealed enclosure sizes?

Thanks alot!!
post #58 of 112
Thread Starter 
The 6f^3 boxes pass xmax at 20 Hz...3.5 looked nice,
post #59 of 112
Kcnitro, oh yeah! How'd I forget that. Thanks, and good luck with the build.
post #60 of 112
Thread Starter 
Thank you, appreciate it. Good luck to you as well!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › 2 Dayton Titanic MK III 15s or 1 TC Sounds LMS-R 15