or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › Please Help... Outdoor Projector Connection (possible 50-60 ft HDMI run)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please Help... Outdoor Projector Connection (possible 50-60 ft HDMI run)

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'll try to keep this brief but I have a few issues that I desperately need help with. It doesn't start off HDMI related but gets there.

Here is my current setup...
Projector (Epson 705HD) on mobile cart setup outside with Blu Ray player next to it connected via HDMI with no issues. This is where I run into the problem...
I ran a 100 foot component cable (RG59) purchased from Monoprice from my satellite receiver in the house through a wall and under my deck out to the projector. At the projector I have a Component to VGA adapter and then it plugs into the VGA port. I get a picture but the colors are washed out. Not much color at all but there's a little. Is this because of the long run coupled with the VGA adapter (that's the thought from monoprice)? Would a component to HDMI adapter potentially work better or do I need to go to Plan B?

Plan B
I pull the component cables out of the wall and I run a monoprice 60 ft redmere HDMI from the satellite receiver into a 4x1 hdmi switch at the projector (which would also take my blu ray) and then into the HDMI port on the projector.

I really need help with this. My preference is to obviously fix my current setup without pulling wires out of walls and buying all new cables. I don't know if it's that VGA portion that is causing the problem. I didn't think I'd have a problem with a 100 ft component run but maybe I was wrong. I checking my fittings at the wall plate where the sat receiver is in the house and they seem ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post

I'll try to keep this brief but I have a few issues that I desperately need help with. It doesn't start off HDMI related but gets there.
Here is my current setup...
Projector (Epson 705HD) on mobile cart setup outside with Blu Ray player next to it connected via HDMI with no issues. This is where I run into the problem...
I ran a 100 foot component cable (RG59) purchased from Monoprice from my satellite receiver in the house through a wall and under my deck out to the projector. At the projector I have a Component to VGA adapter and then it plugs into the VGA port. I get a picture but the colors are washed out. Not much color at all but there's a little. Is this because of the long run coupled with the VGA adapter (that's the thought from monoprice)? Would a component to HDMI adapter potentially work better or do I need to go to Plan B?
Plan B
I pull the component cables out of the wall and I run a monoprice 60 ft redmere HDMI from the satellite receiver into a 4x1 hdmi switch at the projector (which would also take my blu ray) and then into the HDMI port on the projector.
I really need help with this. My preference is to obviously fix my current setup without pulling wires out of walls and buying all new cables. I don't know if it's that VGA portion that is causing the problem. I didn't think I'd have a problem with a 100 ft component run but maybe I was wrong. I checking my fittings at the wall plate where the sat receiver is in the house and they seem ok.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

100 foot on component cable is certainly possible. You need a good quality cable (which you have) and a good source output. Look at some component video switchers for ones with good output amplifiers. Are you sure you didn't damage one of the component video connectors (not the green or you would have no signal)? Try just green (should have B&W) then try just the green/blue combo and see if it is any different than the red/green combo and then compare with all three connected. You should see a difference for each combination. If not there may be a damaged connector (and you wouldn't be the first one to do this, unfortunately).

HDMI/redmere would be a good second choice.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

100 foot on component cable is certainly possible. You need a good quality cable (which you have) and a good source output. Look at some component video switchers for ones with good output amplifiers. Are you sure you didn't damage one of the component video connectors (not the green or you would have no signal)? Try just green (should have B&W) then try just the green/blue combo and see if it is any different than the red/green combo and then compare with all three connected. You should see a difference for each combination. If not there may be a damaged connector (and you wouldn't be the first one to do this, unfortunately).
HDMI/redmere would be a good second choice.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I've actually tried just the Blue/Green combo without the red accidentally. I had mixed up my audio red with video red and that caused some initial confusion. When I fixed that I though the picture issue would be resolved but it wasn't. Although it did look different with all three than it did with just blue/green (or maybe that was just wishful thinking). I'm not familiar with the video switchers you're referring to with amplifiers.

The only thing I could think of to do related to troubleshooting is to pull out the wall plate behind my sat receiver and take the component that's behind the wall and plug it directly into my sat receiver. Doing that would basically tell me if the issue could be with the connection at the wall plate but I don't know how likely that is?

One other thing to note. A majority of this cable run is outside underneath the deck. It's not exposed to UV, rain or anything like that but it is subject to temperature fluctuations. The area underneath my deck is about 5 feet tall and enclosed all around with lattice. This may not impact the component cable but will this have any impact to an HDMI run if I need to go that route?
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I've actually tried just the Blue/Green combo without the red accidentally. I had mixed up my audio red with video red and that caused some initial confusion. When I fixed that I though the picture issue would be resolved but it wasn't. Although it did look different with all three than it did with just blue/green (or maybe that was just wishful thinking). I'm not familiar with the video switchers you're referring to with amplifiers.
The only thing I could think of to do related to troubleshooting is to pull out the wall plate behind my sat receiver and take the component that's behind the wall and plug it directly into my sat receiver. Doing that would basically tell me if the issue could be with the connection at the wall plate but I don't know how likely that is?
One other thing to note. A majority of this cable run is outside underneath the deck. It's not exposed to UV, rain or anything like that but it is subject to temperature fluctuations. The area underneath my deck is about 5 feet tall and enclosed all around with lattice. This may not impact the component cable but will this have any impact to an HDMI run if I need to go that route?

You'll probably would have to work with a manufacturer to find the distance rating for a particular component switcher. Neothings' switchers will easily run 75' and probably much futher. It's analog so any issues can result in PQ loss. There are also companies that make component video to cat 6 (not ethernet, just the wire) or coax converters for long runs who claim well over 200 feet.

Definitely try different combos and with/without the wall plate. You have red/green/blue connections. If only the red/green is connected the picture will look washed out but reds will be enhanced. If the green/blue combo is used you'll see a yellow/blue type washed-out picture. Green only results in B&W. Try those combos - it's a good way to debug your connections. At no time should any one cable removed give you the same picture as all three cables connected. That will be your biggest clue as to a cable problem. Also try reversing the red/blue cables on both sides of the cable to see if the picture is the same as with the two cables non-reversed.

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to check the cable before you put it in-wall to see if the signal would be OK. That would have helped answer the question about the cable. Now, the best thing to do is to try different combinations of wiring to see if the cable really is the cause.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
I made some progress on this last night. I unplugged the 3 foot component cable that comes from my sat receiver to the wall plate and plugged it directly into my tv. I immediately noticed that the colors were washed out just like they were from my projector. I now knew that it either had to do with the wall plate, connection into sat receiver, or 3 foot cable. After experimenting with various combinations as you had suggested I found that the red connection into my sat receiver was not as tight as it needed to be. After fixing it the tv looked perfect run from the component. I now assume that once I wheel the projector back outside I should be good to go unless I run into another issue specific to the 100 foot run or VGA conversion.

That brings me to my next/last question... Assuming that the 100 foot component run is acceptable to carry the signal to my projector outside how should I connect at the projector? I have two options: The first, and current that I use, is the plug the component cable into a VGA adapter that then goes into the projector. The alternative would be to purchase some type of component to HDMI converter and go with HDMI into the projector. If I was going to do the latter I would try to fund some type of switch that accepted multiple inputs so that I could also go with the hdmi from my blu ray into it. So which way is the best method to get an HD picture?

Thank you.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post

I made some progress on this last night. I unplugged the 3 foot component cable that comes from my sat receiver to the wall plate and plugged it directly into my tv. I immediately noticed that the colors were washed out just like they were from my projector. I now knew that it either had to do with the wall plate, connection into sat receiver, or 3 foot cable. After experimenting with various combinations as you had suggested I found that the red connection into my sat receiver was not as tight as it needed to be. After fixing it the tv looked perfect run from the component. I now assume that once I wheel the projector back outside I should be good to go unless I run into another issue specific to the 100 foot run or VGA conversion.
That brings me to my next/last question... Assuming that the 100 foot component run is acceptable to carry the signal to my projector outside how should I connect at the projector? I have two options: The first, and current that I use, is the plug the component cable into a VGA adapter that then goes into the projector. The alternative would be to purchase some type of component to HDMI converter and go with HDMI into the projector. If I was going to do the latter I would try to fund some type of switch that accepted multiple inputs so that I could also go with the hdmi from my blu ray into it. So which way is the best method to get an HD picture?
Thank you.

Either way should work. You'll also notice that some people report a fuzzy picture with either option. Others report a very sharp picture.

With the VGA adapter you are staying completely in the analog domain. With the HDMI adapter you will go analog (component) to digital (HDMI) to analog (projector). I didn't realize that there were projectors that had a VGA input, HDMI input but no component video input.

Also run from any place that claims to have a component video to HDMI cable (no adapter). It takes much more than a cable to convert component video to HDMI.

I used a VGA to component (reverse of what you would need) for many years without any problems and a sharp 1080i HD picture.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Either way should work. You'll also notice that some people report a fuzzy picture with either option. Others report a very sharp picture.
With the VGA adapter you are staying completely in the analog domain. With the HDMI adapter you will go analog (component) to digital (HDMI) to analog (projector). I didn't realize that there were projectors that had a VGA input, HDMI input but no component video input.
Also run from any place that claims to have a component video to HDMI cable (no adapter). It takes much more than a cable to convert component video to HDMI.
I used a VGA to component (reverse of what you would need) for many years without any problems and a sharp 1080i HD picture.

Great, thanks. Thank you for all of your help with this. I'm hoping to have some time to hook up the projector in the next week and if I do I will report back any issues I come across.
post #8 of 8
Good luck. Yes, please let us know how it turns out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › Please Help... Outdoor Projector Connection (possible 50-60 ft HDMI run)