or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Terminator New Release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Terminator New Release - Page 12

post #331 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Sorry if this sounds daft, haven't watched the film in years but aren't some of the tealy caps in question from the precinct scene. Are there Supossed to be fluorescent light fixtures? The color temp from the cheap ones like the ones in my local precinct always read greenish. Maybe it was to more emphasize the ugly lighting inside?
Yeah, this is how I feel too. Mike posted an in-progress cap from his recoloring project a few pages ago, showing Sarah, Dr. Silberman, and the cops looking at a monitor. I thought his tweaked version looked more like they were lit by the sun on a tropical beach, while the actual color timing of the new master looks much more like I'd expect to see under fluorescent lights in a police station with gray cinder block walls. This opinion is in the minority around here, though.
post #332 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

Agreed. JC is a busy guy, doing his deep sea diving expediations, working on his up coming projects, etc. I would assume he just outsources the Approval to his staff, etc. I highly doubt he would spend the time to sit down, and go over it with a fine toothcomb.
I have an mental image that they probbably just send him a sample Blu-Ray that he pops into the Blu-Ray player on his expedition ship or in his hotel room and says yeah looks fine release it smile.gif

JC was also on Mythbusters this past week on the myth about Leo and Kate trying to both fit on the floating wood. And he was on South Park last week..
post #333 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonNoodle View Post

because the release, other than the stellar video transfer, is garbage.
no special features, no mono track
hopefully the US will include all of the above.

"Stellar video" and "garbage" in the same sentence? Not hard to please, are we?
post #334 of 640
He explained himself quite clearly. Don't know what your issue is.
post #335 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie E View Post

Yeah, this is how I feel too. Mike posted an in-progress cap from his recoloring project a few pages ago, showing Sarah, Dr. Silberman, and the cops looking at a monitor. I thought his tweaked version looked more like they were lit by the sun on a tropical beach, while the actual color timing of the new master looks much more like I'd expect to see under fluorescent lights in a police station with gray cinder block walls. This opinion is in the minority around here, though.

At least, we are two!
post #336 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post

At least, we are two!
Count me in. Well, I haven't bought it yet, but looking at the screenshots I'm not only 100% okay with the new color timing, but I really like it.
post #337 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonNoodle View Post

because the release, other than the stellar video transfer, is garbage.
no special features, no mono track
hopefully the US will include all of the above.

No mono track - Yes
No special features - B.S, there are some extras
Video - Thumbs up

Keep watching the pics and don't buy it.
post #338 of 640
I was very pleased with this release of The Terminator. It was a big increase in quality for both video and audio over the BD I have that was released in June 2006.
post #339 of 640
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie E View Post

Yeah, this is how I feel too. Mike posted an in-progress cap from his recoloring project a few pages ago, showing Sarah, Dr. Silberman, and the cops looking at a monitor. I thought his tweaked version looked more like they were lit by the sun on a tropical beach, while the actual color timing of the new master looks much more like I'd expect to see under fluorescent lights in a police station with gray cinder block walls. This opinion is in the minority around here, though.

Shame cinematographers disagree with you, what do they know tho
post #340 of 640
Wow. Thank you all for recommending this remaster of Terminator!

I'm only a few minutes in, but the detail in a number of shots is simply breathtaking. Finally, we can immerse ourselves in the MOVIE rather than peeking through a nasty layer of dirt and print damage.

The picture is very green, but other than that, along with a number of soft shots, it looks so much better than I could have imagined, I'm simply in awe of the remastering.

Were it not for the flaws listed, this would be a tier 1 candidate based upon the best shots from the film. As it stands it looks to be a tier 2.

We're finally at the point where films look significantly better at home than they ever did in the theater.
post #341 of 640
Compared the old release to this one and the improvement in PQ is stunning.

The audio track isn't very good and could stand a re-mix too.

For fans of the film, upgrading to this latest BD is a no-brainer.smile.gif
post #342 of 640
The dynamic range of the soundtrack seems fantastic.

I may start a thread about this where it's appropriate: what is the obsession with green in remastering???
post #343 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

The dynamic range of the soundtrack seems fantastic...
Why not; it's not as old as the film is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

... what is the obsession with green in remastering???
"Video Revisionism" the bane of 21st century home releases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Compared the old release to this one and the improvement in PQ is stunning.
The audio track isn't very good and could stand a re-mix too.
For fans of the film, upgrading to this latest BD is a no-brainer.smile.gif
Yep, if you have "no" brains then by all means pick it up. tongue.gif
post #344 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

Finally, we can immerse ourselves in the MOVIE rather than peeking through a nasty layer of dirt and print damage.

Huh? There are major problems with the old BD, but where in the heck are you getting "a nasty layer of dirt and print damage"???
post #345 of 640
post #346 of 640
Those are from opticals and aren't present during the entire video of the US BD. I'm guessing they were either removed manually or with automated tools for the new BD, rather than being re-composited.
post #347 of 640
Holy Green Hornet Batman, is that teal!!!
However, it does all so show the care that was put into this release.
If only they hadn't turned the entire room GREEN!
... and included the OST!!
post #348 of 640
There's no teal on this release, if you look at it on calibrated display.

However, you PC monitor is teal shifted.
post #349 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post

There's no teal on this release, if you look at it on calibrated display.
That's one of the most preposterous things I've read in this thread and that's saying something.
post #350 of 640
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post

There's no teal on this release, if you look at it on calibrated display.
However, you PC monitor is teal shifted.

Nope
post #351 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post

There's no teal on this release, if you look at it on calibrated display.
However, you PC monitor is teal shifted.
That's a complete load of crap.
post #352 of 640
"Teal Shifted" - that's a good name for a band!!
post #353 of 640
No, no teal here: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=14784&cap2=14768&art=full&image=8&cID=1295&action=1&lossless=1#vergleich

It's like they turned on a light blue light in the room. Maybe they did?

larry
post #354 of 640
Again, you're watching caps. Watch the actual disc, or stay tealed.
post #355 of 640
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision" url="/t/1416733/the-terminator-new-release/390#post_22508025" 
Again, you're watching caps. Watch the actual disc, or stay tealed.





Yep, no one has the disc bar yourself.
Its full of teal.
post #356 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post

Again, you're watching caps. Watch the actual disc, or stay tealed.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
20121019_175558.jpg

wink.gif

Edited by raoul_duke - 10/19/12 at 10:22am
post #357 of 640
I, for one, don't see an overload of teal, but even if you can, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker for those who love the movie.

Even IF JC wanted a "teal" look, it still works.
Why?
Remember what the film is about: a COLD killer ROBOT made of METAL.
Anyone ever heard of the color "steel blue?"wink.gif
post #358 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Remember what the film is about: a COLD killer ROBOT made of METAL.
Anyone ever heard of the color "steel blue?"wink.gif

Blue and teal are not the same color.

No one ever talks about "steel teal." That's not a thing.
post #359 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Blue and teal are not the same color.
No one ever talks about "steel teal." That's not a thing.

For me that's beside the point, anyway. I don't care how well the change supports the story's theme. I don't want a changed version; I want the original version.
post #360 of 640
Still, that's a damn fine looking steelbook!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Terminator New Release