or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › HDMI splitter/switcher
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HDMI splitter/switcher

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hi. Im wondering witch i would need in this case-


Currently i have my PS3 HDMI cable into input 4 of my kuro and my receivers HDMI in another input. When i want to watch a movie i have to un plug the PS3's HDMI from input 4 and plug it into the receiver and back into input 4 when im done and. I don't want to use my receiver all the time thats why i do this.

Would a splitter or switcher work so i can just choose the AVR when i need to watch movies without changing cable inputs? My input on my pioneer SC37 is starting to get weak.
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Hi. Im wondering witch i would need in this case-
Currently i have my PS3 HDMI cable into input 4 of my kuro and my receivers HDMI in another input. When i want to watch a movie i have to un plug the PS3's HDMI from input 4 and plug it into the receiver and back into input 4 when im done and. I don't want to use my receiver all the time thats why i do this.
Would a splitter or switcher work so i can just choose the AVR when i need to watch movies without changing cable inputs? My input on my pioneer SC37 is starting to get weak.

HDMI was not designed as a plug-n-play interface so significant number of plug/unplug cycles is not recommended. I assume by "weak" you mean the port is getting loose?

Anyway, what you have to remember with a switcher/switcher is that only one video and one audio "stream" is on the HDMI cable at any given time. This means that the HDMI protocol requires the source device to only send a signal that is compatible with all sinks (destinations). It does this with the least common denominator principle. Each sink sends the sources its capabilities using an EDID transmission. Each source is then required to choose the high quality signal that is compatible with *all* sinks.

So if you hook up a 1080p TV and a 720p TV (that can only accept 720p inputs), you would only get a 720p image on both TVs. Remember only one video signal at a time.

On the audio side if you hook up a stereo TV and a 7.1-channel AVR at the same time, then you'll only receive a stereo signal on both devices. The exception to this are splitters that can fake-out the EDID but they cost hundreds of dollars and then the stereo TV won't have any audio since there can only be one type of audio signal on the cable at any time. Also this is usually true whether the decices are power-up or not.

With the 4 HDMI inputs on the Kuro, perhaps there is another way to mix-n-match so you won't have this issue? My other thought is what not use the receiver all of the time? A universal remote can turn the Kuro and the AVR on/off at the same time.
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
You mentioned switcher, so would a splitter work?

Edit- I see you explained it. Didn't read properly.

So why have i heard people using a splitter to do what im trying to do?
Quote:
My other thought is what not use the receiver all of the time?

I don't like to use it all day every day. I use to do that. Seems like a waste. Especially if i game for 10 hours.
Quote:
With the 4 HDMI inputs on the Kuro, perhaps there is another way to mix-n-match so you won't have this issue?
I don't think there is.

I plan to get a oppo BD player and just use the PS3 for games. That way i wont have to keep switching cable inputs. But i wont be buying it for awhile. So i need something for now to avoid always changing inputs.
Quote:
On the audio side if you hook up a stereo TV and a 7.1-channel AVR at the same time, then you'll only receive a stereo signal on both devices.

But the TV and AVR will be (is) on separate inputs. And when the AVR is on the TV's sound is not in use anyway.
Edited by saprano - 6/22/12 at 7:54pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

You mentioned switcher, so would a splitter work?
Edit- I see you explained it. Didn't read properly.
So why have i heard people using a splitter to do what im trying to do?

I don't like to use it all day every day. I use to do that. Seems like a waste. Especially if i game for 10 hours.
I don't think there is.
I plan to get a oppo BD player and just use the PS3 for games. That way i wont have to keep switching cable inputs. But i wont be buying it for awhile. So i need something for now to avoid always changing inputs.

But the TV and AVR will be (is) on separate inputs. And when the AVR is on the TV's sound is not in use anyway.

I don't know how to answer, "so why have i heard people using a splitter..." I just know how HDMI works.

I don't understand what you mean by. "...the TV and AVR will be on separate inputs." The TV is a sink (an output). The AVR has both inputs and outputs but is actually considered a switch. The PS3 would be a source with a single output. I don't believe the Kuro's were ARC enabled since Kuros production occurred before ARC.

I believe I mentioned that in most cases, it doesn't matter if the AVR is on (or in use) when setting up the EDID values.

If you want to work this through, just remember that there is only one video and one audio signal (stream) on the cable at any time. That really limits the options since if the source is sending audio the TV, it must be stereo for the TV to recognize it. It can't be both multichannel and stereo at the same time.

Now if those "other people" don't realize they are listening to a stereo input (perhaps have the Dolby PLxII enabled for simulated surround) then that would be one way you could have both AVR and TV playing sound at the same time (or accepting a stereo input when either is on).

Bottom line, is if you are unsure of these answers, purchase a switcher or a distribution amp (a splitter) and see what happens. The distribution amps aren't that expensive, even an HDMI distribution amp.
Edited by alk3997 - 6/23/12 at 3:04pm
post #5 of 5
At As a temporary ‘fix’ the best option would be to add in an Optical able between the PS3 and the AVR and set the PS3 to ‘dual’ audio – the PS3 can then Output Video + 2.0 audio to the TV via HDMI + 5.1 via Optical to the AVR!

Any other solution (a 1x2 Distribution Amp) will require you to manually reset the PS3 HDMI audio from 2.0 to 5.1/7.1 depending on where you are viewing/listening.

Joe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Industry Area › HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World › HDMI splitter/switcher