Originally Posted by kzhtoo
So...basically, you all think this would just be a waste of money.
Depends what your goals are. If bragging rights are what you want, blowing a ton of money on weird cables seems to work with some people. If most accurate sound quality with minimum cost and hassle is what you want, then its hard to beat commodity 12 gauge copper wire in reasonable lengths.
I'm very curious though because if it is in fact not sonically beneficial, how these cable companies have been around for many years.
It is a testimonial to human gullibility, wishfulness, pride, and denial of science.
In other words, how do you keep lying to people for so long?
If you want to lie to people, it can be helpful to pick an area of society where no powerful political groups are involved. OTOH the politicians have been lying to everybody, which may only be a testimonial to how badly organized everybody is. ;-)
As stated before, all I know about cable is minimizing the resistance (a function of the material, cable width, etc) improves the current flow.
That's about 90% of it, and the other 10% can be disregarded most of the time.
Those MIT cables do have bigger width than the ones that I'm using right now.
Ever hear of thicker plastic jackets and plastic jackets with fabric overlays? Very chic-looking, and they can be thicker.
As far as resistance goes - there is a law of diminishing returns. If the resistance of the cable is 1/100 or less than the impedance of the speaker, then the absence of audible changes is guaranteed in almost every case. Reduce that to 1/10 and you are still probably pretty safe.
I might be better off, as I have an extra pair of speaker cables, double-bonding my current cables with the extra ones at the ends with bigger banana plugs??
You haven't told us about your speakers, the length of your cables, and the thickness of the copper inside them. Spill the beans about that and we can Science it all out for you in a flash!
I'm also thinking to just pick up some ultra expensive AudioQuest or Monster speaker cables at Best Buy (since they can be returned) and test it out myself with my ears as the judge.
There's been a lot of good discussion around here lately about how easy it is to make a change and hear differences that have nothing to do with the change that you just made. I can pretty well guarantee that if you do what you suggest, you will hear a difference, but most likely not due to the cables
. This "Buy and try with a money back guarantee" sounds very up-and-up, but its actually one of the biggest scams in Audio.