or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › LED or Plasma right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LED or Plasma right now?

post #1 of 292
Thread Starter 
So currently I have a 42" plasma,
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42PQ30-plasma-tv

I have no issues with my tv just wondering what I should look to buy now. Only reason for wanting a new tv is for something bigger 55"-60"+ 1080p.
Looking to charge around $1,000-$1,600 on my amazon store card with no interest for 24 months. Are LED tvs in the 1,000-1,500 price range with on par with plasmas in same price range? Only brands im interested in are sony, lg, samsung, panasonic.

Was looking at the LG Cinema 55LM7600 but am reading a bunch of bad reviews inregards to its backlight bleeding?
and
Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50
and
Sony BRAVIA KDL55EX640
and
Samsung UN55ES6500

Tv will mostly be used for HDTV, very light gaming, and to stream HD content from my xtreamer pro. Kind of want to try out 3d aswell, i know a few of them can convert 2d to 3d.
Edited by skzzzzy - 6/28/12 at 5:58pm
post #2 of 292
In case you haven't already done so, I'd post this thread in both the LCD forum and the Plasma forum. That way you can average out the responses and come to a more meaningful conclusion. wink.gif
post #3 of 292
Thread Starter 
I tried to find one but didnt see it, just looked again and found it thanks.
post #4 of 292
Go for a plaz !
post #5 of 292
Plasma has both better blacks and better pricing right now, so they're a better value. They can be a bit shiny, so if you're watching TV in a bright room you may want to consider LED. Otherwise it's plasma all the way.

I was considering making a purchase myself, but I've seen some reviews hinting at more impressive models slated for release later this year. I've been a plasma man from the start, but if I can get brighter and more accurate color as well as darker blacks in a light, thin TV then I'll pay the premium for LED.
Edited by repete66211 - 6/28/12 at 8:44pm
post #6 of 292
If you go for a LED-LCD, try to avoid the edge-lit models, as those tend to have the most backlight uniformity issues. Also, consider IPS panel models from LG if you want wide viewing angles for a LED/LCD.

If you're going with a Samsung, consider the EH6000 series. It comes in 55", 60", and 65" sizes, though in terms of MSRP, the 60" and 65" exceed your budget.
Edited by PlasmaPZ80U - 6/28/12 at 8:13pm
post #7 of 292
Have you look into the Sharp LCD-LED tvs??? Granted I am a plasma man myself but I have a 40" myself and once calibrated the picture is fantastic on this thing!!! I am in the same boat as well as I am looking into the Samsung Plasma PN64E8000, Sharp LC-70LE847U, Sharp LC-60LE847U, Sharp LC-70LE745U, and the Sony 65HX929. The plasma in me is saying stick with what works but at the end of the day you have to go with what best looks for your eyes!!!
post #8 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

If you go for a LED-LCD, try to avoid the edge-lit models, as those tend to have the most backlight uniformity issues. Also, consider IPS panel models from LG if you want wide viewing angles for a LED/LCD.
If you're going with a Samsung, consider the EH6000 series. It comes in 55", 60", and 65" sizes, though in terms of MSRP, the 60" and 65" exceed your budget.

So who is now making full array (not edge lit) panels these days? Anyone making a full array led with a matt screen?

I looked into this about a year ago, and Vizio was one of the few LED lit sets out there that had full array and local dimming. Unfortuantely, their "new" models are all edge lit. I wonder why full array/local dimming sets are not being manufactured. Are the new edge lit TVs now as good as the older full array models?

Greg
post #9 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post

So who is now making full array (not edge lit) panels these days? Anyone making a full array led with a matt screen?
I looked into this about a year ago, and Vizio was one of the few LED lit sets out there that had full array and local dimming. Unfortuantely, their "new" models are all edge lit. I wonder why full array/local dimming sets are not being manufactured. Are the new edge lit TVs now as good as the older full array models?
Greg

The Samsung EH series is one example, though it lacks local dimming.
Edited by PlasmaPZ80U - 6/28/12 at 8:43pm
post #10 of 292
Full array LED with local dimming is significantly more expensive to produce and only a handful of (high priced) models exist. Sharp is a major player with their Elite line, of course the Sony HX929 is another. The Sharp series 945 (Full Array with local dimming) in both 60" and 70" are still slotted for a summer 2012 release; I'm guessing we should see them by August. Who knows about the price though.
post #11 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

The Samsung EH series is one example.

I could be wrong but from reading info online about Samsung's EH6000 it doesn't sound like true full-array and it's not local dimming either. They're calling the technology in it "Direct-LED with global dimming", whatever that means. I'm guessing it's something more along the lines of an enhanced edge-lit making it appear closer to full array? It's def priced closer to edge-lit type of LCDs. It's confusing.
post #12 of 292
The st50 clearly wins out of the bunch for pq. The lg may have more features but I think 85% of people won't use many of them frequently. Since you have a older smaller plasma now and seem good with it the st50 will wow you I own a vt50 and I came from a b860 Samsung and was wowed you will have a much better wow difference with st. Grab it go 60 even if you can. And the all can convert 2d to 3d but it is relatively useless if you ask me. 3d is ok but it is an occasional thing.
post #13 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

I could be wrong but from reading info online about Samsung's EH6000 it doesn't sound like true full-array and it's not local dimming either. They're calling the technology in it "Direct-LED with global dimming", whatever that means. I'm guessing it's something more along the lines of an enhanced edge-lit making it appear closer to full array? It's def priced closer to edge-lit type of LCDs. It's confusing.

It's full array LED without local dimming but has fewer LEDs to make up the full-array than most sets of this type, to cut costs and to make it a value priced model. The main reason to go with a Samsung EH series over the ES series is better backlight/screen uniformity.

Global dimming is just the CE dimming/auto-dimming backlight that many Samsungs are plagued with. Definitely not a desirable feature and nothing like local dimming.
Edited by PlasmaPZ80U - 6/28/12 at 9:46pm
post #14 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

The st50 clearly wins out of the bunch for pq. The lg may have more features but I think 85% of people won't use many of them frequently. Since you have a older smaller plasma now and seem good with it the st50 will wow you I own a vt50 and I came from a b860 Samsung and was wowed you will have a much better wow difference with st. Grab it go 60 even if you can. And the all can convert 2d to 3d but it is relatively useless if you ask me. 3d is ok but it is an occasional thing.

Yes, CNET loved the ST50 as it delivered overall PQ close to the pricier GT and VT series, but for a much lower price.
post #15 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

It's full array LED without local dimming but has fewer LEDs to make up the full-array than most sets of this type, to cut costs and to make it a value priced model. The main reason to go with a Samsung EH series over the ES series is better backlight/screen uniformity.
Global dimming is just the CE dimming/auto-dimming backlight that many Samsungs are plagued with. Definitely not a desirable feature and nothing like local dimming.

Thanks. Good info.
post #16 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

If you go for a LED-LCD, try to avoid the edge-lit models, as those tend to have the most backlight uniformity issues. Also, consider IPS panel models from LG if you want wide viewing angles for a LED/LCD.
If you're going with a Samsung, consider the EH6000 series. It comes in 55", 60", and 65" sizes, though in terms of MSRP, the 60" and 65" exceed your budget.

Isn't LG still doing a panel lottery so actually getting an IPS panel is a pain in the butt that might require multiple returns and serial code hunting?

At least Panasonic is all 100% IPS now.
post #17 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo View Post

Isn't LG still doing a panel lottery so actually getting an IPS panel is a pain in the butt that might require multiple returns and serial code hunting?
At least Panasonic is all 100% IPS now.

As far as I know, LG is no longer a panel lottery in 2012. This happened last year with the couple of their ips offerings.
post #18 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by skzzzzy View Post

So currently I have a 42" plasma,
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42PQ30-plasma-tv
I have no issues with my tv just wondering what I should look to buy now. Only reason for wanting a new tv is for something bigger 55"-60"+ 1080p.
Looking to charge around $1,000-$1,600 on my amazon store card with no interest for 24 months. Are LED tvs in the 1,000-1,500 price range with on par with plasmas in same price range? Only brands im interested in are sony, lg, samsung, panasonic.
Was looking at the LG Cinema 55LM7600 but am reading a bunch of bad reviews inregards to its backlight bleeding?
and
Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50
and
Sony BRAVIA KDL55EX640
and
Samsung UN55ES6500
Tv will mostly be used for HDTV, very light gaming, and to stream HD content from my xtreamer pro. Kind of want to try out 3d aswell, i know a few of them can convert 2d to 3d.
No
post #19 of 292
I might stick to a plasma since you are used to a plasma in that room and the room's light won't change. Unless you think the TV gets too washed out by sunlight or something.

Also the ST50 will probably have the best quality/dollar ratio.
post #20 of 292
I am a big Plasma guy all the way. I put my 50" Samsung in the bedroom a year ago as an excuse to upgrade to 65-70". I was going to go with the 8000 series then, but right next to it they had a 70" LED Sharp for $1k less. I couldn't pass it up. I calibrated it with a Disney WOW disc and it's pretty impressive for what it is. I lost some blacks obviously, but I no longer really think about that. Obviously Plasma is still a great way to go, but if you find your self in the same situation I was and the bigger LED is cheaper then go with that given that the specs are decent.

Good luck!
post #21 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotthree View Post

As far as I know, LG is no longer a panel lottery in 2012. This happened last year with the couple of their ips offerings.

Do they distinguish their IPS line so I can find out which 47-50 inches use that panel type?
post #22 of 292
I was in same boat recently...I went with a 60GT50 plasma and I love it. A lot of the LEDs content just looked "fake" to me.

My new TV is in our family room with a good amount of lighting....not a big deal to me.

Todd
post #23 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo View Post

Do they distinguish their IPS line so I can find out which 47-50 inches use that panel type?

same Y and D panels like last year's models

D means VA

Y means IPS
post #24 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by thendreks View Post

I was in same boat recently...I went with a 60GT50 plasma and I love it. A lot of the LEDs content just looked "fake" to me.
My new TV is in our family room with a good amount of lighting....not a big deal to me.
Todd

once calibrated, any set can look more natural and realistic/lifelike (though admittedly that is not the true purpose of calibration)
post #25 of 292
Plasma, way better blacks and in my opinion, better picture quality overall. Get the Samsung PN59D7000, which is last years model and is just being replaced now by next year model. The new model is PN59E7000. Basically the same tv, but with a different model # ( E instead of D ). I have the PN59D7000 and it's an excellent tv.
And if you get it calibrated or copy the settings that many have posted, it will blow you away. I love it so much, that I'm thinking of getting another to replace my
Pioneer Elite PRO FHD1 for my dedicated home theater. I use the Samsung PN59D7000 just for tv watching and the occasional Blu ray.

Link to the company I bought mine from, and many other big screens by the way. Excellent company to do business with, no matter what you buy. And no, I do not work for them, just a very satisfied customer.

http://www.onecall.com/product/Samsung/PN59D7000/3D-TV/_/R-109298
Edited by ferrari fan - 6/29/12 at 10:52am
post #26 of 292
A few things to consider. The Panasonic plasma is favored over the Samsung by most of the reviewers mainly because of better black levels and a less reflective screen on the Panasonic (special filters on the ST/GT/VT series). On the flip side many in the Panasonic threads are upset with IR and maybe even burn in on the 2012 models while this does not seem to be a problem with the Samsung's. According to the experts on this forum the plasma technology includes buzzing from the display even though this seems to vary greatly from set to set even in the same series. The Panasonic VT50 won the latest shootout which included the highly regarded Elite LED lit LCD from Sharp. Edge lighting LED's (back lit) is the most common mainly because it's cheaper to build and has the sexier thin look compared to the full array LED back lit versions. Ghosting seems to be worse with the edge lit technology and the full array has a bit better screen uniformity. Full array can be had in a local dimming version (offers superb blacks) but drives up the price considerably. The Sharp 70LE732 and the 80LE632 are examples of full array LED back lit displays that do not include local dimming. Have fun shopping.
post #27 of 292
The highest of high-end local dimming LED sets will have better blacks than any plasma (Kuro included), better energy efficiency (it's greener, but NOT cheaper), and a brighter picture (good for a bright room or near a window), but plasmas are much cheaper, have better uniformity, nearly as deep blacks and better off-angle viewing.

For what it's worth, David Katzmaier of CNET thought the $3000 65" VT50 plasma had overall better picture quality than the $4,600 60" Sharp Elite.
post #28 of 292
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder_bum View Post

The highest of high-end local dimming LED sets will have better blacks than any plasma (Kuro included), better energy efficiency (it's greener, but NOT cheaper), and a brighter picture (good for a bright room or near a window), but plasmas are much cheaper, have better uniformity, nearly as deep blacks and better off-angle viewing.
For what it's worth, David Katzmaier of CNET thought the $3000 65" VT50 plasma had overall better picture quality than the $4,600 60" Sharp Elite.

Im fairly sure ill be going with the panasonic gt50.
post #29 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by skzzzzy View Post

Im fairly sure ill be going with the panasonic gt50.

It's a great choice, as are the ST and VT models.
post #30 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by skzzzzy View Post

Im fairly sure ill be going with the panasonic gt50.

Smart choice. I have the 60GT50 right now and its PQ even without calibration (I only use THX day and night modes) is stunning. Motion, blacks, colour accuracy, off-axis viewing are all top notch. And to top it off it has perfect screen uniformity which is something I have yet to see on an LCD/LED and I've owned quite a few. The only issue for me is that the panel buzzes somewhat loudly when whites or bright scenes are present. For the most part the buzzing is masked by audio but if the volume is low it can be heard. I've been told it's normal but it's definitely louder than my old plasmas (G15 and PZ77). I exchanged it once and the new set buzzes the same so it may well be normal. Whether it's something I can live with remains to be seen. I have it for another week before I decide. It's a shame because if it weren't for the buzzing, IMO it's a dream TV.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › LED or Plasma right now?