or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Switched from 80Hz x-over to 60hz. Suggestions please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Switched from 80Hz x-over to 60hz. Suggestions please.

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I had been watching movies with 80hz crossover for all my speakers , and every speaker to small.

I tried the 60hz crossover the the bass is alot smoother without any rumbling coming out of the sub.

My setup is jamo s608 5.0 speakers along with JAMO 250 sub.

With 80hz crossover , i was getting rumling sound coming out of the subwoofer ....

My room is 4.3 x 4.6m and the sub is in the front corner near my left front speaker.

Any suggestions ?
post #2 of 10
Absent measurements, my general rule is if it sounds better to you go with it. I suggest that you run it that way for a couple of weeks then switch back and listen to a variety of material you've been listening to with the lower crossover. You'll likely quickly hear whether there's something missing at the lower crossover setting or if it's challenging the sub's clean output/creating a room problem with the crossover higher.
post #3 of 10
The s608 floor standing speaker is rated to 37Hz (-3db, -10db; I dunno) but regardless it shouldn't struggle with the 60Hz crossover. I can't tell by looking at the website exactly which center speaker or surrounds you have but those in the pictures look small(ish). You might want to set the crossover point on those speakers back to 80Hz if you can. The higher crossover will offer a little more protection to the smaller speakers and if I had to guess, I'd suggest that the rumbling was more to do with the combination of the subwoofer and the mains.
post #4 of 10
The S608s have a 10" woofer in them, so they should have a pretty low frequency response. I'd set the fronts to large and see how you like it.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by designmule View Post

The s608 floor standing speaker is rated to 37Hz (-3db, -10db; I dunno) but regardless it shouldn't struggle with the 60Hz crossover. I can't tell by looking at the website exactly which center speaker or surrounds you have but those in the pictures look small(ish). You might want to set the crossover point on those speakers back to 80Hz if you can. The higher crossover will offer a little more protection to the smaller speakers and if I had to guess, I'd suggest that the rumbling was more to do with the combination of the subwoofer and the mains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

The S608s have a 10" woofer in them, so they should have a pretty low frequency response. I'd set the fronts to large and see how you like it.

I can only see one crossover for all of my speakers with my current receiver , and yes my next move is to get a big center speaker:)

And as for the fronts, i will try them set to LARGE , x-over to 60 , but what about double bass function ?
post #6 of 10
There shouldn't be any double bass issue. Typically, when you set your speakers to "large" it means that they are run full range and no crossover is applied. Because you have deemed those speakers as full-range the bass from the left and right channels will not be folded in to the subwoofer. So, no double bass. The subwoofer will be playing the LFE channel and the bass from the center speaker and surrounds (because they are labeled "small")

Some receivers have a "double bass" option which allows you to run the left and right channels full range plus have their bass folded in to the subwoofer, but the "double bass" has to be enabled for this to happen.

I'm surprised that your receiver doesn't allow for independent crossover frequencies...what's model is it?
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by designmule View Post

There shouldn't be any double bass issue. Typically, when you set your speakers to "large" it means that they are run full range and no crossover is applied. Because you have deemed those speakers as full-range the bass from the left and right channels will not be folded in to the subwoofer. So, no double bass. The subwoofer will be playing the LFE channel and the bass from the center speaker and surrounds (because they are labeled "small")
Some receivers have a "double bass" option which allows you to run the left and right channels full range plus have their bass folded in to the subwoofer, but the "double bass" has to be enabled for this to happen.
I'm surprised that your receiver doesn't allow for independent crossover frequencies...what's model is it?

Its the ONKYO TX 308. Should i switch the double bass option in my receiver to yes or no ?
post #8 of 10
It's personal preference but the most accurate setting would be "no"
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by designmule View Post

There shouldn't be any double bass issue. Typically, when you set your speakers to "large" it means that they are run full range and no crossover is applied. Because you have deemed those speakers as full-range the bass from the left and right channels will not be folded in to the subwoofer. So, no double bass. The subwoofer will be playing the LFE channel and the bass from the center speaker and surrounds (because they are labeled "small")
Some receivers have a "double bass" option which allows you to run the left and right channels full range plus have their bass folded in to the subwoofer, but the "double bass" has to be enabled for this to happen.
I'm surprised that your receiver doesn't allow for independent crossover frequencies...what's model is it?

Hey , i just tested my fronts to large , double bass off , and center and rears to small with 80-over and still some frequency sounds coming out of the bass will begin to rumble. I switched the phase to 120 or something like that and alot of rumble was gone but the bass was not so strong.
post #10 of 10
By switching the phase control on the subwoofer it sounds like you have created some cancellation at the crossover frequency which is not a good thing 90% of the time. It would seem that your room maybe has a little too much energy at or near 80Hz. From here things can get complicated but I would bet that you can reduce the rumbling by playing with your speaker locations particularly the subwoofer.

But as your fallback point. It sounds like the best sound you have achieved is setting all speakers to small with the 60Hz crossover so I would recommend you keep it there. Personally, I'm still a little concerned about a 60Hz crossover with surrounds that are as small as yours but so long as you are listening at ear splitting levels you should be ok.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Switched from 80Hz x-over to 60hz. Suggestions please.