or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › What is the very best wireless router available right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the very best wireless router available right now? - Page 8

post #211 of 471
I have been using the original Linksys E4200. It has been very solid. Haven't had one issue with it. I do wish I was able to get my full 50mbps down speed through it over wireless. It seems only my hard wired devices are able to pull that.
post #212 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

In this thread, there have been quite a few people who swear by the Apple Airport Extreme (and others who hate them)

Just to re-iterate, I only swear by the fact that they have high resale value. I most recently purchased a 4200v2 3rd party used on Amazon, and even at the deal I got, I'll never be able to sell it for as much as I could the Apple. Since 802.11AC is so close by, I thought this would be a good recommendation since their hardware is rock-solid even though their software is pesky. Then sell for a low "pay to use" price and upgrade to AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Smallnetbuilder is a good site to read for router reviews.
^Agreed. The only place I see them consistently taking the things apart
post #213 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post


The one truth is that there is no consensus on this at all.
Now if you really want to go all out, I'd recommend a Zyzel USG50 or a Sonic Wall TZ200 and a $300 or so per year subscription to their security software.
Smallnetbuilder is a good site to read for router reviews.

...for new the Asus 66U sounds quite good.
With ac coming out this seems to be an in-between period and the refurb NETGEAR is interesting low cost option
post #214 of 471
Any recommendations for good shareware to measure and/or monitor LAN speeds?
post #215 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Any recommendations for good shareware to measure and/or monitor LAN speeds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Any recommendations for good shareware to measure and/or monitor LAN speeds?


I've been using LAN Speed Test to test my network
post #216 of 471
Re: ASUS RT-N66U Router
Canadian Price has now dropped from over $200, to now below $180. (Luckily I purchased mine around the same price during the Canada Day Specials.)
Did some BD Live last night - 30 seconds to download, versus 2-5 minutes previously on my DLink!
Wife commented on how fast her Internet is now. (Happy Wife - Happy Life - for a couple of hours!)
Edited by p5browne - 7/13/12 at 4:01pm
post #217 of 471
i replaced my old modded dlink that had very little ram with an air port extreme.

This solved the constant lock ups but i agree on the range. 2 stories and i can reach outside the house.

I am sure apple does this on purpose as it has no external antenna like most models. This allows for apple to market to you wifi extenders.

The extreme simply works. It is not made to be modified with bells and whistles.

It is dependable at what it is designed to do.
post #218 of 471
who would be dumb enough to use WPS ?

Not apple its not secure.

In reality there is no best product. Some out weigh others for what you want it to do.

The list should simple identify routers that do not have problems and expand on what feature sets they have vs price.

Some people may enjoy the features of the apple product with the popularity of ipads and iphones.

I have never been an apple fan but I own two of their routers and phones and Ipads.

They just work. Being a tech sometimes having to configure everything loses its fun when you have already hacked every device you have ever owned.
post #219 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Any recommendations for good shareware to measure and/or monitor LAN speeds?


I would recommend Qcheck. It is free and does a lot. I have a full blown copy of Ixchariot but it is expensive.
Edited by dmarqueset - 7/15/12 at 10:25am
post #220 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Was the part about the best range and speed sopposed to be a joke? There 7 routers from Asus / Cisco etc. that are faster than the Airport Express Extreme model, 2.4Ghz /5Ghz, downlink/uplink speeds.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/67-5-ghz-dn-40
It`s so smart that it doesn`t even have inbound or outbound service control, something that my now 2 year old linksys WRT N610 has, even basic WPS is missing...

inbound and outbound? are you talking about opening ports? if so, yes you can. I have setup remote access for client to access there Crestron and ReQuest music servers from outside of their home networks from around the world.

the range and speed on this product is very fast and strong. you can post charts and graphs but it comes down to actual performance in a home that may be 3,000 sq feet or 20,000 sq feet with any ware from 2 people on the network to over 80. product could be on a desk in a AC room or in a AV closet net to a hot water heater. We have found that this product can handle just about anything tossed at it and can do so without locking up or crashing. out of the hundreds of routers out there that I installed I have never needed to go service a apple airport.

im sure the Asus is great ( because i did own a few grand worth of there gaming stuff at one point) but I know that the apple has time and experience over it.
i felt the same way about the apple router too before I started to install them.
post #221 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Any recommendations for good shareware to measure and/or monitor LAN speeds?

Netpersec is good
post #222 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth89 View Post

inbound and outbound? are you talking about opening ports? if so, yes you can. I have setup remote access for client to access there Crestron and ReQuest music servers from outside of their home networks from around the world.
the range and speed on this product is very fast and strong. you can post charts and graphs but it comes down to actual performance in a home that may be 3,000 sq feet or 20,000 sq feet with any ware from 2 people on the network to over 80. product could be on a desk in a AC room or in a AV closet net to a hot water heater. We have found that this product can handle just about anything tossed at it and can do so without locking up or crashing. out of the hundreds of routers out there that I installed I have never needed to go service a apple airport.
im sure the Asus is great ( because i did own a few grand worth of there gaming stuff at one point) but I know that the apple has time and experience over it.
i felt the same way about the apple router too before I started to install them.

That`s port / port-range forwarding you are talking about, not inbound/outbound control. By inbound/outbound access control i mean controlling the ports that can be accessed or the computer can open via a schedule If between 8 to 10 on Monday i don`t want port 110 to 110 to be open (POP3 port), i can have it. The AEBS only has control over the local network connections i.e. you can block specific computers via their MAC adress from connecting to your network on specific times.

As far as range is concerned, you do realize that SMM (Small Net Builder) does real-life tests, not bogus lab tests ? . They measure the wireless performance in 5 different locations on a 3300 square foot two-level home, open-air and closed space (between walls), not in an EMI (electromagnetic interference) sealed lab where wireless performance would be double of what it is in those charts.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/31542-how-we-test-wireless-products-revison-6

PS: Since you mentioned port forwarding, the AEBS also lacks triggered port forwarding, i.e. the ability to have the router open a specific inbound port when your computer opens a specific outbound port (or range of ports), say i have my computer flowing data through port 60, and the router will forward port 80 for it, port 60 being the "trigger port".
post #223 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd11 View Post

who would be dumb enough to use WPS ?
Not apple its not secure.
In reality there is no best product. Some out weigh others for what you want it to do.
The list should simple identify routers that do not have problems and expand on what feature sets they have vs price.
Some people may enjoy the features of the apple product with the popularity of ipads and iphones.
I have never been an apple fan but I own two of their routers and phones and Ipads.
They just work. Being a tech sometimes having to configure everything loses its fun when you have already hacked every device you have ever owned.

Don`t know, but i`d consider just as "dumb" people who think that their WPA/WPA 2 PSK protection is secure, who have never heard of Backtrack, pyrit, Kismet, Aircrack-ng, dictionary attacks, brute-force attacks smile.gif . WPA passwords can be cracked, and depending on the lenght and complexity of the pass + the computing power, it can take between
4-5 hours to a couple of days. Sure, there is the RADIUS option, which is the most secure, but that requires a server and some good Linux knowledge for setting up the server smile.gif
Edited by GreenEyez - 7/15/12 at 4:44am
post #224 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

That`s port / port-range forwarding you are talking about, not inbound/outbound control. By inbound/outbound access control i mean controlling the ports that can be accessed or the computer can open via a schedule If between 8 to 10 on Monday i don`t want port 110 to 110 to be open (POP3 port), i can have it. The AEBS only has control over the local network connections i.e. you can block specific computers via their MAC adress from connecting to your network on specific times.
As far as range is concerned, you do realize that SMM (Small Net Builder) does real-life tests, not bogus lab tests ? . They measure the wireless performance in 5 different locations on a 3300 square foot two-level home, open-air and closed space (between walls), not in an EMI (electromagnetic interference) sealed lab where wireless performance would be double of what it is in those charts.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/31542-how-we-test-wireless-products-revison-6
PS: Since you mentioned port forwarding, the AEBS also lacks triggered port forwarding, i.e. the ability to have the router open a specific inbound port when your computer opens a specific outbound port (or range of ports), say i have my computer flowing data through port 60, and the router will forward port 80 for it, port 60 being the "trigger port".

Thank you for this insight.
post #225 of 471
I have the Linksys E4200 dual band and it has excellent wireless range. Although not too long ago it had the WPS bug where you could not turn it off.

How is WPS an issue you ask? Hackers have found an exploit in the WPS protocol. Someone with a long range WiFi card with the right tools can get your WPA passkey. I should know, I did it to my own router and was able to do so easily. The good news is that it has been corrected in the latest firmware update. So if anyone plans on getting one, be sure to update it to the latest firmware and turn WPS off and use WPA/WPA2 security. I would not recommend their latest router because of that cloud fiasco where they broke user configuration and settings through a firmware update without the user's consent.

Also, for anyone looking at the new proposed AC standard remember that it is built for speed and not for range since it uses 5 GHz which in my experience has a hard time passing through multiple walls compared to 2.4 GHz. The downside to 2.4 GHz though is that it is commonly used by other devices in your house so you might have interference problems. Whereas 5 GHz will less likely have an interference problem. Just something to consider when buying routers.

Then you have buffer bloat which most routers suffer from, but that's another story for the future.
post #226 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Don`t know, but i`d consider just as "dumb" people who think that their WPA/WPA 2 PSK protection is secure, who have never heard of Backtrack, pyrit, Kismet, Aircrack-ng, dictionary attacks, brute-force attacks smile.gif . WPA passwords can be cracked, and depending on the lenght and complexity of the pass + the computing power, it can take between
4-5 hours to a couple of days. Sure, there is the RADIUS option, which is the most secure, but that requires a server and some good Linux knowledge for setting up the server smile.gif
Or you can crack it using a brute force attack on the WPS pin in even less time (http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1847302)
post #227 of 471
Linksys e3000 with Toastman's Tomato Firmware.

Why?

Has simultaneous Dual-Band 2.4 Ghz, 5.0 Ghz, 64mb ram, gigabit 4-port switch, usb print / hard drive option and the most intuitive, user-friendly router software I've ever used: Tomato. My wife, kids and guests hammer it continuously with a plethora of wireless devices. Oh, and its $46 delivered from Newegg (refurbished). I've only reboot it once in the 3 years I've had it.

And if its wireless range that you want, there are empirical tests of happily surfing the web over 60 meters away inside another concrete building. Just change your 'country' in the firmware to Singapore ( where they dont have such girly man wifi restrictions as the US) and beef up the TX power to 60mW! Hell, with this router you could be a hotspot for the entire neighborhood.

I'd really wait until all your WIFI devices become AC capable before getting a router that's AC. We're still a few years away yet on that.....
post #228 of 471
The apple products however have no QOS settings, which is a huge problem if you have multiple users on a home network and need to prioritize traffic, i.e. so I can play xbox while my kids stream netflix, etc.

That alone has made me leave apple for routers, unfortunately.
post #229 of 471
I have an ActionTec GT784WN thats a combo DSL modem and wireless router. Not sure if its the very best (probably not) - but it's definitely the very best for me. I hated having a separate DSL modem and then a wireless router. Made trouble shooting very laborious. I replaced a D-Link DIR-655 router that was very, very dependable - but I have had absolutely no problems with the ActionTec.
post #230 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

Linksys e3000 with Toastman's Tomato Firmware.
Why?
Has simultaneous Dual-Band 2.4 Ghz, 5.0 Ghz, 64mb ram, gigabit 4-port switch, usb print / hard drive option and the most intuitive, user-friendly router software I've ever used: Tomato. My wife, kids and guests hammer it continuously with a plethora of wireless devices. Oh, and its $46 delivered from Newegg (refurbished). I've only reboot it once in the 3 years I've had it.
And if its wireless range that you want, there are empirical tests of happily surfing the web over 60 meters away inside another concrete building. Just change your 'country' in the firmware to Singapore ( where they dont have such girly man wifi restrictions as the US) and beef up the TX power to 60mW! Hell, with this router you could be a hotspot for the entire neighborhood.
I'd really wait until all your WIFI devices become AC capable before getting a router that's AC. We're still a few years away yet on that.....


You make a few solid points.

But turning up the juice also increase the waves your body is exposed to while your in your home and you sleep.

Is that healthy ?>
post #231 of 471
^^^^^^^^

All my points are solid damnit!

Is that healthy? As opposed to what? Basically all I did was bump the Tx power from 40mW (<-US regulation cap) to 60mW. What extra EMR that may inflict on me spherically diverged from the router source to my bedroom is infintesimally small and probably not even measurable.

I will defer to the experts as to what effect EMR has on human health, but from my limited understanding of the reams of research papers done on the subject, there is very little if any adverse effects on human health caused by background EMR in 21st century America. If anything, the studies seem to show that heavy cellphone users actually have a slightly smaller risk of developing senile dementia in their golden years. YMMV. Heck, allowing your children to watch 3D movies is doing way more brain damage than this router ever could.

From reading the OP saying he lost his router in a thunderstorm, I will assume he lives in the midwest where he is probably getting hammered daily from natural background radiation from the earths crust so EMR from his router would be like pissing in the ocean at that point. Heck, I bet the food out there is taking years off his life (i.e., ludicrous sodium, trans fat, enriched flour content of food). I know this from experience when I go to visit my inlaws in Iowa.
post #232 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

From reading the OP saying he lost his router in a thunderstorm, I will assume he lives in the midwest

We make some wild assumptions at AVS don't we? I've never heard tale of a thunderstorm outside the midwest biggrin.gif

Did you really notice that much difference? Did you ever try the 3000 stock? I've been ridiculously happy with the 4200v2 stock linksys firmware, to the point of not flashing it (and not upgrading it smile.gif you win some/lose some . . . cloud connect and all)

In the old days, using both Tomato and DD-WRT on the Asus WL-520GU, I never noticed a big range increase when boosting the Tx power. I'll have to test it sometime, but it's not high on the priority list since I already blanket my apartment with the 4200v2
post #233 of 471
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

Just change your 'country' in the firmware to Singapore ( where they dont have such girly man wifi restrictions as the US) and beef up the TX power to 60mW! Hell, with this router you could be a hotspot for the entire neighborhood.
.

I'm sure all your neighbors love the interference with their own wifi networks, wireless phones, bluetooth devices, etc. resulting from your hogging the bandwidth

There's a reason the power and range is limited. It's so that very limted bandwidth can be shared by lots of people and devices rather than hogged by one person.
post #234 of 471
Airport Extreme 5th gen.
I have had about all of them and this is by far the best, hassle free device I've owned.

We had Cisco Aironet AP's at our company that would constantly need to be power cycled.
We then tried the Small Busines Pro AP's. They constantly lost connection.
So we finally tried the Airport Extreme's

We have 130 users and the 3 Airport Extremes have yet to break a sweat.
We have had ZERO down time for the last year.

So some may say its too expensive, but it isn't compared to higher end offerings. Aironet's are ~$650.
Or there's not enough to configure such as QOS. But you know what? You don't need that stuff if it works.

We have people connecting to our internal network through VPN, streaming videos, music, etc all day long. So I can attest to the quality of the product.
post #235 of 471
Same experience here, as I stated way earlier, if you need a lot more just add a router like the Zyxel USGs and use the AE for the wireless. Both rock solid with no hiccups for 20 months now.
post #236 of 471
I have had experience with just few routers. My first one was Toshiba 1000 (Standard B). It mostly worked well, as far as you spell DNS servers in all the clients manually. It took me a while to learn doing it every time we move or change the provider. It did lock up a few times, but it did not bother me much ( a couple of times per year). The next one was Netgear 1100. This one would lock up frequently (weekly reboots), and I did not like the configuration options. Once I came home to see a long strech of wires going across the house. The router locked up again, and my wife needed internet in the bedroom smile.gif After reading positive and negative reviews, I have spend money on Apple AIrport Extreme. Essentially all I wanted was a fast trouble free router that I do not have to spend time trying to guess working combination of settings or rebooting it frequently. It was rather expensive, even during Christmas sale, but it simply works. I still do not like the configuration option (have to install utility, instead of having web interface), but l do not have to configure it often. There are not too many options, but it does all I need based on simple configuration.
post #237 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

We make some wild assumptions at AVS don't we? I've never heard tale of a thunderstorm outside the midwest biggrin.gif
Did you really notice that much difference? Did you ever try the 3000 stock? I've been ridiculously happy with the 4200v2 stock linksys firmware, to the point of not flashing it (and not upgrading it smile.gif you win some/lose some . . . cloud connect and all)
In the old days, using both Tomato and DD-WRT on the Asus WL-520GU, I never noticed a big range increase when boosting the Tx power. I'll have to test it sometime, but it's not high on the priority list since I already blanket my apartment with the 4200v2

OK. Note the astronomical difference between the US capped 40mW and the Singapore 60mW. Here's me hogging all the bandwidth. wink.gif

274 image source Toastman from Tomato USB (not mine)

The reason you do not see any difference by changing the Tx power is because by having your router set to US, you are not allowed to change the Tx power. The US country setting is a boolean variable that locks out any and all Tx power changes in your router firmware.

So where DOES the OP live? Because I've travelled far and wide in the USA and the only areas that have such ghetto electrical systems whereby you actually lose AV equipment in thunder storms is the midwest.......
post #238 of 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I'm sure all your neighbors love the interference with their own wifi networks, wireless phones, bluetooth devices, etc. resulting from your hogging the bandwidth
There's a reason the power and range is limited. It's so that very limted bandwidth can be shared by lots of people and devices rather than hogged by one person.


What a load of hooey. I've been to Singapore and I've never seen a more densely populated place in my life. Why authoritarian Singapore allows more of a Tx power than the USA is a very good question. Remember, here is a city that outlaws chewing gum. The author Christopher Hitchens once wrote "Picture all experts as if they were mammals", and I'm sure the number our routers are capped at were decisions made by some random mammal expert in Washington, probably back in the sixties during the cold war.

So have you made your router choice yet Zon2020? Because we're 237 posts into a thread you started on the home page of avsforum, and here you are concerned about my neighbors bandwidth and the social harmony of the US wifi networks. Don't tell me you're one of those guys from car audio forums who keeps asking for recommendations 3000 posts in, whereby all you're really looking for is validation for the router you've already bought 2950 posts back.....
Edited by Mark the Red - 7/18/12 at 8:45am
post #239 of 471
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post


So where DOES the OP live? Because I've travelled far and wide in the USA and the only areas that have such ghetto electrical systems whereby you actually lose AV equipment in thunder storms is the midwest.......

Right. No one on the East cost, in the Mid Atlantic, Carolinas, Florida, etc., ever gets any electrical storms or loses any electronic systems. Sure thing.

Ask an insurance adjuster about how silly your assumption is.
post #240 of 471
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

What a load of hooey. I've been to Singapore and I've never seen a more densely populated place in my life. Why authoritarian Singapore allows more of a Tx power than the USA is a very good question. Remember, here is a city that outlaws chewing gum. The author Christopher Hitchens once wrote "Picture all experts as if they were mammals", and I'm sure the number our routers are capped at were decisions made by some random mammal in Washington, probably back in the sixties during the cold war.
So have you made your router choice yet Zonzon? Because we're 237 posts into a thread you started on the home page of avsforum, and here you are concerned about my neighbors bandwidth and the social harmony of the US wifi networks. Don't tell me you're one of those guys from car audio forums who keeps asking for recommendations 3000 posts in, whereby all you're really wanting is validation for the router you've already bought 2950 posts back.....

Obviously, you don't give a damn about any problems you cause your neighbors. Nice attitude.

And if you read the thread, you'd see I explained not only my choices but how it worked out a couple hundred posts ago. Don't tell me you're one of those guys who like to whine and bitch without bothering to read first.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › What is the very best wireless router available right now?