or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Wireless headphones from TV's Digital audio out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wireless headphones from TV's Digital audio out

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'm planning on buying a Panasonic or Samsung plasma TV and would like to hookup my RCA wireless Headphones to the the digital audio out with a FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter. Will this work and if so is one TV better than the other for this? Thank you for your help.
. jmcmil9272
post #2 of 8
That should work but I see no big advantage using a D to A converter for wireless headphones for TV viewing unless I'm missing something.
I would just run analog out of the TV into the headphones. I have a Samsung LED for a little over a year and have been very happy with the quality
of build and picture after a litte tweaking.
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmil9272 View Post

I'm planning on buying a Panasonic or Samsung plasma TV and would like to hookup my RCA wireless Headphones to the the digital audio out with a FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter. Will this work and if so is one TV better than the other for this? Thank you for your help.
. jmcmil9272

Be aware that that audio DAC will not decode any DD5.1 that the TV's internal tuner tunes on ATSC signals. Sony makes a nice wireless headphone that connects directly to the digital audio output from the TV and works with either DD or PCM audio.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666290086

Places like Amazon have them for less.
post #4 of 8
I bought a Panasonic TV and I'm no longer able to hook-up my Senn analog input winreless headphones. Here is the back of the TV... I'd like to get something that I could use on the TV (Netflix) and the DVR. Any ideas?

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/05/30/TC-P65VT50_35118305_35118304_16_1_610x459.jpg
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzo6 View Post

I bought a Panasonic TV and I'm no longer able to hook-up my Senn analog input winreless headphones. Here is the back of the TV... I'd like to get something that I could use on the TV (Netflix) and the DVR. Any ideas?

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/05/30/TC-P65VT50_35118305_35118304_16_1_610x459.jpg

You may need a device that has an optical input and handles both stereo PCM and Dolby Digtal Surround, per post 3, unless there is a setup option on your TV to force its digital output into PCM mode.

Since you didn't say which model Tv you've got - it is up to you do your own research about that PCM setting for your TV's digital output.

Otherwise, you need some kind of a surround processor with a digital input. One common example of such a thing is called an AVR.

I did some searching and found this device on ebay that may work, or not. For the low cost, you might want to give it a spin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-USB-Multi-Channel-Surround-Sound-Processor-With-Optical-I-O-/310365628769
post #6 of 8
Thanks for the info, I have a Panny 65vt50 and it does have an optical out but I couldn't find any headphones that use that connection, everything I've seen has the analog out and I can't connect those to this TV. Plus, I need it to hook-up to the TV and the DVR. Kinda' sucks to get a high end TV only to find that there are no headsets out there that will work. frown.gif I've been using Senn 120's forever and have two receivers, one plugged into the DVR and one in the 400 DVD carousel and I was able to switch channels on the headset between the two, so that has worked great for many years until the recent upgrade.

Just checked out the link in post #3 though and see that that set offers the digial out. More than I was wanting to spend, but worth it if that will solve my problem. Does anyone have a set of the Sony's that they use on more than one input?
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzo6 View Post

Thanks for the info, I have a Panny 65vt50 and it does have an optical out but I couldn't find any headphones that use that connection, everything I've seen has the analog out and I can't connect those to this TV. Plus, I need it to hook-up to the TV and the DVR. Kinda' sucks to get a high end TV only to find that there are no headsets out there that will work. frown.gif I've been using Senn 120's forever and have two receivers, one plugged into the DVR and one in the 400 DVD carousel and I was able to switch channels on the headset between the two, so that has worked great for many years until the recent upgrade.

Just checked out the link in post #3 though and see that that set offers the digial out. More than I was wanting to spend, but worth it if that will solve my problem. Does anyone have a set of the Sony's that they use on more than one input?

I also, have the 120's. You need a quality D to A converter that passes DD5.1. I bought GeFen GTV-DD2AA decoder. http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980 $129. I found them on Ebay last year for about $70. They work great with my Mits 82740 digital out (coax cable). Or, the Sony or Pioneer $$$$$$$$$$$$ headphones.
post #8 of 8
Jason,
Did you ever figure out whether the Sony MDR6500 Headphones would work with your Panny. I have a 55GT50 and I came across your forum discussion researching the same question you had. How to
hook up the digital optical cable to a audio source when my Pioneer VX 53 only has a front the "headphone" analog jack but does have ARC HDMI to the Panny? Any in help would be most appreciated.

Mike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Wireless headphones from TV's Digital audio out