or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Prometheus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prometheus  

post #1 of 997
Thread Starter 
640640

French Steelbook

500
Quote:
Disc 1 (Prometheus 2D) (+ approximately 150 minutes of supplemental features):
Deleted and alternate scenes (15 mins)
Audio commentary by director Ridley Scott
The private records of Peter Weyland, four viral videos (18 mins):
The offer of Elizabeth Shaw
Happy Birthday David
Prometheus Transmission (extended version)
The Weyland conference in 2023 (long version)
Outside the disk: Second Screen App - iPad app allowing access to the archives of Peter Weyland (60 mins)
Pre-production:
First and final draft of the script (text)
Sketches (photo gallery)
The Art of Prometheus (photo gallery)
Pre-visualization (30 mins)
Tests of Noomi Rapace (15 mins)
Costume designs (photo gallery)
Cast screen tests (10 mins)
Production:
Graphic Video Dashboard
Photographs of the team
Video of the private pilot
Production and post-release:
Marketing Gallery



Disc 2 (Prometheus 3D):
The 3D version of the film



Disc 3 (Bonus materials):
The Angry Gods: Making of Featurette, 9 videos (120 mins):
At the Conquest of Paradise (scenario)
The engineering (direction & design)
The human manifest (characters & costumes)
A nest of demons (creature design)
A world without green spaces (Pinewood)
Gains of chance (stunts & action)
The beginning and end (Iceland)
The sky on fire (visual effects)
Prometheus without limits (post-production and theatrical release)
Units of improvement (30 mins):
Mini-featurettes
The archives of Peter Weyland (60 mins)


Got the UK date today and left it on a piece of paper at work! will update asap
post #2 of 997
You know, I could really do without the big "3D!!!!" on the cover. I don't see why they need to advertise it like that, anything beyond just the bar across the top that says "It's five discs, and here's what they are.. yada yada yada".
post #3 of 997
Thread Starter 
Quote:
First and final draft of the script (text)
hopefully before Lindelof ruined it
post #4 of 997
Now that you mention it, how do they usually do things like that? Is it text that's viewed on screen while watching and using the remote, or is there an actual file on the disc that I can read on my PC? I'd much prefer the latter. Especially now that I have a Blu-ray drive on my PC.. lol.
post #5 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

You know, I could really do without the big "3D!!!!" on the cover. I don't see why they need to advertise it like that,

Because J6P is way too lazy to read what he's actually buying so he needs a big ugly logo instead.
post #6 of 997
So no extended 2D version?
post #7 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

So no extended 2D version?

Is there an extended 3D version?
post #8 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

So no extended 2D version?

A while back RS said in interviews that the extended stuff would go "in the menu". I always understood it as "extra features" but not "extended cut". I think he also said his director's cut is the theatrical version but I'm not 100% sure.
post #9 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

A while back RS said in interviews that the extended stuff would go "in the menu". I always understood it as "extra features" but not "extended cut". I think he also said his director's cut is the theatrical version but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the number of people who are just presuming the Blu-Ray will have some sort of "Director's Extended Cut" or something. Ridley has been emphatic that, fixing famous studio-born issues of BladeRunner aside, he's not a fan of such things. He has said the cut people see in the theater is exactly the cut he wants and that if any more material is made available on the Blu-Ray it will be as extras, not as some new cut of the movie.
post #10 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yeah, I'm surprised at the number of people who are just presuming the Blu-Ray will have some sort of "Director's Extended Cut" or something. Ridley has been emphatic that, fixing famous studio-born issues of BladeRunner aside, he's not a fan of such things. He has said the cut people see in the theater is exactly the cut he wants and that if any more material is made available on the Blu-Ray it will be as extras, not as some new cut of the movie.
I think he was misquoted at some point when it comes to Prometheus, because I was under the distinct impression that the film would have an additional ~20 minutes of content for the home video release.
post #11 of 997
Obviously if he's working on a director's cut it going to take longer to release.

I don't mind double dipping in this case because this release looks stacked itself and isn't just a cheap barebones cash grab.
post #12 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yeah, I'm surprised at the number of people who are just presuming the Blu-Ray will have some sort of "Director's Extended Cut" or something. Ridley has been emphatic that, fixing famous studio-born issues of BladeRunner aside, he's not a fan of such things. He has said the cut people see in the theater is exactly the cut he wants and that if any more material is made available on the Blu-Ray it will be as extras, not as some new cut of the movie.

Funny then that he keeps making extended or Director's Cuts for so many of his other movies.

Alien
Legend
Gladiator
Black Hawk Down
Kingdom of Heaven
American Gangster
Robin Hood
post #13 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Funny then that he keeps making extended or Director's Cuts for so many of his other movies.

I'm sure you know these so-called director's cuts are often wanted more by the studio than him to please audiences. Alien's 1979 cut is still his director's cut, despite what the box says. Same with Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and American Gangster, the theatrical cuts are his director's cuts.

Kingdom of Heaven, indeed the direcetor's cut is the home video release. And it's a much better film, even Scott himself said his orginal cut was a mistake. I don't know about Legend, and Blade Runner is a special case wink.gif
post #14 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I'm sure you know these so-called director's cuts are often wanted more by the studio than him to please audiences.

Regardless, he keeps making them. If he didn't want these extended editions to exist, Ridley Scott has more than enough clout to put his foot down.
post #15 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yeah, I'm surprised at the number of people who are just presuming the Blu-Ray will have some sort of "Director's Extended Cut" or something. Ridley has been emphatic that, fixing famous studio-born issues of BladeRunner aside, he's not a fan of such things. He has said the cut people see in the theater is exactly the cut he wants and that if any more material is made available on the Blu-Ray it will be as extras, not as some new cut of the movie.

How about at least giving us an explaination for the disintegrating humanoid at the beginning and a little more character development? This movie was a huge let down for me. The only character whose name I could remember was Vickers and she wasn't even the star. I believe they had a crew of something like 17 and I didn't even care as they were killed off. Very disappointed.

Stace
post #16 of 997
"I CAN'T HAVE CHILDREN!"
post #17 of 997
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

How about at least giving us an explaination for the disintegrating humanoid at the beginning and a little more character development? This movie was a huge let down for me. The only character whose name I could remember was Vickers and she wasn't even the star. I believe they had a crew of something like 17 and I didn't even care as they were killed off. Very disappointed.
Stace
.


Read the original reviews of alien and blade runner and then what you just wrote.

Also:

236


Saw it in real d 4k and it was breathtakingly beautiful, sure its flawed but it's at least got people talking and asking questions.
Edited by dvdmike007 - 7/6/12 at 1:14pm
post #18 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

The only character whose name I could remember was Vickers and she wasn't even the star. I believe they had a crew of something like 17 and I didn't even care as they were killed off.
I could say the same thing about Alien/s. Sometimes movies aren't about character development. Prometheus is no classic but I enjoyed it.

The IMAX DMR print I saw looked like the world's biggest upscale so I'm looking forward to seeing it on blu-ray.
post #19 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Funny then that he keeps making extended or Director's Cuts for so many of his other movies.
Alien
Legend
Gladiator
Black Hawk Down
Kingdom of Heaven
American Gangster
Robin Hood
And they are almost always better than the original too.wink.gif
post #20 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

I could say the same thing about Alien/s. Sometimes movies aren't about character development. Prometheus is no classic but I enjoyed it.
The IMAX DMR print I saw looked like the world's biggest upscale so I'm looking forward to seeing it on blu-ray.

I get that. I didn't hate the movie but the more my son and I talked about our gripes the more disappointed we became. I just expected more.

Stace
post #21 of 997
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

I could say the same thing about Alien/s. Sometimes movies aren't about character development. Prometheus is no classic but I enjoyed it.
The IMAX DMR print I saw looked like the world's biggest upscale so I'm looking forward to seeing it on blu-ray.


Lucky this is fox, this has the potential to a banding nightmare.
So many subtle graduations in colour.
post #22 of 997
But hey, no teal/orange in this film. Epic win.tongue.gif
post #23 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post

But hey, no teal/orange in this film. Epic win.tongue.gif

Still might show up on the BD though.
post #24 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Regardless, he keeps making them. If he didn't want these extended editions to exist, Ridley Scott has more than enough clout to put his foot down.

I get that but so what? Does that change the fact that he has still the right to consider (most of) his theatrical cuts his DCs? I don't think so. Who knows maybe we'll get a true extended version when the sequel comes out but the original theatrical version might still be the director's cut. More options to please the fans and make some more cash? Nothing wrong with that AFAIC as long as "artistic integrity" is preserved... When he explains why he considers one version or the other the "definitive" one, that's what he does and I like that. At least his longer versions are worth watching it's not like adding 25 more seconds of CGI blood and sticking an "extended director's cut" on the cover wink.gif
post #25 of 997
In the intro to the Alien DC/SE/whatever Ridley said it was the studio's idea and not his. I am pretty sure that's the case in almost all the DC/SE/whatever that's been put out there with other directors as well.
post #26 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

A while back RS said in interviews that the extended stuff would go "in the menu". I always understood it as "extra features" but not "extended cut". I think he also said his director's cut is the theatrical version but I'm not 100% sure.

He did, but he also slyly talked about being a good businessman. He got into some trouble for trashing the studio for what they did to KOH right out of the gate, thus undercutting the theatrical versions and tipping off critics that even the director was unhappy with it.

My guess is well get a true DC once the BD/DVD sales drop off. I believe there's something viral going on soon at SDCC that is still tied to Prometheus and 10.11.12, which was also stamped at the end of the credits is during NYCC this year.

Still, I really liked the pacing of this one. It's very fast and the 177min run time is over before you know it. I went back to see it again, and was able to catch a lot more, along with a higher opinion of the movie. I lot of my problem dissolved once I wasn't trying to match it with ALIEN, mak make connections, and see each scene for what it was in the whole. The only one I was disappointed with was Vickers and W, and only because of some horrible dialogue tacked onto a great scene.
Edited by TyrantII - 7/7/12 at 9:06am
post #27 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

I could say the same thing about Alien/s. Sometimes movies aren't about character development. Prometheus is no classic but I enjoyed it.
The IMAX DMR print I saw looked like the world's biggest upscale so I'm looking forward to seeing it on blu-ray.

And there's plenty of it in here. The biggest issue IMO was trying to melt old cliche horror (some of which Scott pioneered mind you) into something a little more ambiguous and heady. The internet loves to rip apart stuff that would have been original and awesome back in the 70's and 80's, just because it's been done before. IE Everyone is now a critic with a voice.

I just watched 2001 again the other night, and Prometheus is very much in a similar vein. You're along for the ride, and it's up to you to find the subtle meaning in it. Not much is explained, a lot happens, and the only real closure you get is watching the two main characters develop through their ordeal. People seem to hate that now a days. Cest la vi
Edited by TyrantII - 7/7/12 at 9:07am
post #28 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

In the intro to the Alien DC/SE/whatever Ridley said it was the studio's idea and not his. I am pretty sure that's the case in almost all the DC/SE/whatever that's been put out there with other directors as well.
That's why the LOTR films are called "extended" rather than "director's cuts". Peter Jackson was pretty clear about that when they were released. It's also why I stick with the theatrical cut whenever I watch Alien.

The one exception I can think of specifically for Ridley Scott was Kingdom of Heaven. Despite his apparent "clout" as a big-name director, the studio really did butcher the hell out of that film for it's theatrical release, and it suffered badly for it. The BD release of that one really is the director's preferred cut (and mine as well, by a long shot).

Ridley seemed to imply that he was happy with the theatrical cut of Prometheus, although at the same time he acknowledges that some cuts were made here and there. Whatever reasons they were done for, the cuts were made by Ridley himself and not the studio. The statements he made in a few interviews were kind of contradictory in terms of what would be on the disc.. in one video, he said it would just be deleted scenes as bonus features, in another he made it sound like the film itself was going to be another twenty minutes longer. I don't think we'll know for sure until the official press release.

All I'd really like to hear is a release date. This is a day-one purchase for me, no matter what's on the disc.
post #29 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I just watched 2001 again the other night, and Prometheus is very much in a similar vein.

Prometheus is in the vein of Alien vs. Predator. It has nothing in common with 2001 other than the fact that both take place in space. You might as well say that Alien vs. Predator is as good a movie as 2001.
Quote:
You're along for the ride, and it's up to you to find the subtle meaning in it. Not much is explained, a lot happens, and the only real closure you get is watching the two main characters develop through their ordeal. People seem to hate that now a days. Cest la vi

The difference here is that the characters in 2001 were not braindead morons.

"Aww, look at the sharp-fanged penis monster that's hissing at us. Isn't it cute? I'm gonna go pet it. That's a good idea, right?"

"Two of my crew are trapped in a cave with an unknown alien lifeform coming towards them? Screw it. They can deal with it themselves. I'm gonna go get laid! Somebody else on this ship will pay attention to them, right? What, no? Eh, whatevs..."
Edited by Josh Z - 7/7/12 at 9:34am
post #30 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Prometheus is in the vein of Alien vs. Predator. It has nothing in common with 2001 other than the fact that both take place in space. You might as well say that Alien vs. Predator is as good a movie as 2001.
The difference here is that the characters in 2001 were not braindead morons.
"Aww, look at the sharp-fanged penis monster that's hissing at us. Isn't it cute? I'm gonna go pet it. That's a good idea, right?"
"Two of my crew are trapped in a cave with an unknown alien lifeform coming towards them? Screw it. They can deal with it themselves. I'm gonna go get laid! Somebody else on this ship will pay attention to them, right? What, no? Eh, whatevs..."

Well, we'll agree to disagree then. I think a lot of the those concerns are warrantless and just people expecting a simple, cookie cutter movie. This isn't Fountain, but it's deeper than Inception for sure. Comparing it to AvP is ridiculous on any count, and I'm wondering when the last time you saw 2001 was. Muppet Babies doesn't count.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Prometheus