or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Prometheus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prometheus - Page 23  

post #661 of 997
That picture just made my day, Mike.. lol.
post #662 of 997
finally get a chance to watch this tonight, if its good will buy.
post #663 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

finally get a chance to watch this tonight, if its good will buy.


I'm looking forward on hearing what you think, you've been around these thread hearing both sides of battle cries for months biggrin.gif For me the 3D packet was more than worth it weight in gold because of all it's content, enormous amounts of it which I though it was pretty cool.

Hope you enjoy it.

Djoel
post #664 of 997
from DigitalBits...

"a number of readers are reporting problems with Fox’s Prometheus Blu-ray. Throughout the second half of the film, some copies are plagued with macro-blocking and will occasionally cause players to simply shut down. It appears to be a manufacturing error and isn’t affecting all copies, so if you’re having trouble we recommend you exchange it with your retailer. You can also contact Fox Customer Care at 1-888-223-4369"
post #665 of 997
So, does this macro-blocking error happen on all players if you have a defective copy or just certain players? Basically, could I still have a defective copy even though it plays fine on my player or does that mean I'm out of the woods?
post #666 of 997
I re-watched last night. My first viewing did not go well and I got macro blocking. I was using my HTPC and TotalMedia Theater... but then watching the same disc on my HTPC with Cyberlink PowerDVD after their update - which came 48 hours later than it should have - played back error free.

BTW the 3D was exactly as impressive as the last time I watched it. One of the all-time great 3D movies, for sure. At the same time I enjoyed it more, the campiness started to come through this time, which frankly is an important part of the Alien 'feel'. But seriously, this movie is about filming a Giger-designed set in 3D and that's what it delivers. The only way I can imagine the movie looking better than it does... is if the viewer took some LSD before watching it.

Now it's on to the Avatar 3D Blu-Ray. Picking that up today, watching it tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

So, does this macro-blocking error happen on all players if you have a defective copy or just certain players? Basically, could I still have a defective copy even though it plays fine on my player or does that mean I'm out of the woods?

Edited by imagic - 10/16/12 at 7:46am
post #667 of 997
It seems that for some folks after a firmware update the macroblocking is resolved. I wonder if it has more to do with a refresh in the idiotic and asinine copy protection schemes that Fox loves to engage in rather than necessarily 'defective' discs?

Best Regards
KvE
post #668 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

It seems that for some folks after a firmware update the macroblocking is resolved. I wonder if it has more to do with a refresh in the idiotic and asinine copy protection schemes that Fox loves to engage in rather than necessarily 'defective' discs?

About the only way you could determine this is to rip the disc, removing DRM and compare playback with the original disc.
post #669 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I'm looking forward on hearing what you think, you've been around these thread hearing both sides of battle cries for months biggrin.gif For me the 3D packet was more than worth it weight in gold because of all it's content, enormous amounts of it which I though it was pretty cool.
Hope you enjoy it.
Djoel

I really enjoyed this film, fantastic. Definitley will be picking this up tomorrow also PQ and Aq top notch.
post #670 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The Ridley Scott of today is not the same man who made Alien and Blade Runner three decades ago. His talents have steadily slipped away over that time.

I recommend to watch the 3.5 hour making of doc and listen to his commentary on the film. In my opinion he really is at the top of his game and right up there with the best film director's of all time.

Incredibly visionary director.
post #671 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Now it's on to the Avatar 3D Blu-Ray. Picking that up today, watching it tonight.

Pls comment on ur experience with this new release! Thanks in advance, imagic! cool.gif
post #672 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

I recommend to watch the 3.5 hour making of doc and listen to his commentary on the film. In my opinion he really is at the top of his game and right up there with the best film director's of all time.
Incredibly visionary director.
All that red wine seems to help. wink.gif
post #673 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor | WAR 
I recommend to watch the 3.5 hour making of doc and listen to his commentary on the film. In my opinion he really is at the top of his game and right up there with the best film director's of all time.

Then how does that account for how astoundingly terrible this movie turned out to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul nyc 
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you really think Scott has slipped in 30 years?

Gladiator
Black Hawk Down
Body of Lies
Kingdom of Heaven

Those ain't bad, fella

Gladiator - Completely worthless p.o.s.
Black Hawk Down - Overrated.
Body of Lies - Very poor.
Kingdom of Heaven - The theatrical cut is a complete p.o.s. The Director's Cut elevates it to the level of "just OK."

If these are the best he's done in the last 30 years, you're already damning him with faint praise.
post #674 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Then how does that account for how astoundingly terrible this movie turned out to be?
Gladiator - Completely worthless p.o.s.
Black Hawk Down - Overrated.
Body of Lies - Very poor.
Kingdom of Heaven - The theatrical cut is a complete p.o.s. The Director's Cut elevates it to the level of "just OK."
If these are the best he's done in the last 30 years, you're already damning him with faint praise.

I guess you just have Bad taste that's all.
post #675 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic 
Are you done making a fool of yourself now? I hope so. Perhaps someday you will figure out what you were doing wrong. Certainly nothing you say will convince a person who has seen the 3D in Prometheus that they were imagining it. If you cannot see it, something is wrong with how you are viewing it. What that would be is anybody's guess.

Sigh.

Since you seem to be so oblivious, let me spell this out for you. I have explained in Post 613 why I felt that the 3D in this movie was poorly shot and integrated. The only argument you have raised against my points is: "No, it's not."

Well, you sure told me! What a comeback!

If you want to convince me that I'm wrong, you need to come up with a better-reasoned argument than, "You're stupid and blind. So there!" The only one here embarrassing himself is you.
post #676 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Then how does that account for how astoundingly terrible this movie turned out to be?
Gladiator - Completely worthless p.o.s.
Black Hawk Down - Overrated.
Body of Lies - Very poor.
Kingdom of Heaven - The theatrical cut is a complete p.o.s. The Director's Cut elevates it to the level of "just OK."
If these are the best he's done in the last 30 years, you're already damning him with faint praise.

Ah, i forgot your 'tude. Josh.

I think you need to get laid, brother.
post #677 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino 
I guess you just have Bad taste that's all.

To each their own, but I really have trouble believing that anyone could consider Body of Lies to be a work on par with Alien or Blade Runner.
post #678 of 997
Alien is especially overrated and it did get blown away by its sequel. Blade Runner fares better, partly because of the larger scope. however they are only as great as you claim in the context of when they were released. Body of Lies is a superior film to either one of those, in many ways. It will never be held in as high regard because it is not as innovative, but it is still a mighty fine movie. it rates well enough on IMDB, and with critics to make a fair argument that you are just being a hater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

To each their own, but I really have trouble believing that anyone could consider Body of Lies to be a work on par with Alien or Blade Runner.

Edited by imagic - 10/16/12 at 11:52am
post #679 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic 
Alien is a specially overrated and it did get blown away by its sequel. Blade Runner fares better, partly because of the larger scope. however they are only as great as you claim in the context of when they were released. Body of Lies is a superior film to either one of those, in many ways. It will never be held in as high regard because it is not as innovative, but it is still a mighty fine movie. it rates well enough on IMDB, and with critics to make a fair argument that you are just being a hater.

Oh, I have absolutely no need to respond to this. Please, continue digging yourself that hole. I'll be back in a minute after I get some popcorn.
post #680 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vertigo View Post

I'm not a fan of 3D, I hate it actually, but the best 3D (in live action movie) I've seen was in Avatar and Transformers 3.
Prometheus felt very flat to me, there was no dimensionality, no depth. Dariusz Wolski also shot Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and for the whole movie I was wondering "Why am I even wearing those goddamn glasses? This is 2D."[










i saw it twice in imax 3d at the same theater, same screen. first time blew me away. awesome 3d.

next time flat, very little 3d effect noticeable. complained to the manager, their explanation was the 3d projector needs
to be re-calibrated each day, and it was probably a poor calibration job?

Edited by mr. wally - 10/16/12 at 12:21pm
post #681 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I really enjoyed this film, fantastic. Definitley will be picking this up tomorrow also PQ and Aq top notch.

Glad you enjoy it for what it is, the delete scenes are cool as well, not that they'll change the way some folks will feel about this film one way or another but it was cool none the less.

Glad the world didn't end on your side of the hemisphere just because you enjoyed it. wink.gif


Djoel
post #682 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Glad the world didn't end on your side of the hemisphere just because you enjoyed it. wink.gif

lol!
post #683 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

To each their own, but I really have trouble believing that anyone could consider Body of Lies to be a work on par with Alien or Blade Runner.

I doubt anyone here is saying that it is AS GOOD AS Alien however it was pretty good. I liked it. I think Alien and Blade Runner are a bit overrated. Yup. I said it. I do still like both and own all these movies listed.

I'm sure if Prometheus had come out in the 70's and Alien had just come out now, you'd be saying how it's just a dumb monster movie with chase scenes and easy scares. rolleyes.giftongue.gif
post #684 of 997
Is Josh Z playing the cool contra role here or is this how he approaches reviews?
post #685 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I'm sure if Prometheus had come out in the 70's and Alien had just come out now, you'd be saying how it's just a dumb monster movie with chase scenes and easy scares. rolleyes.giftongue.gif


Give this man a Cigar smile.gif


If Vickers would have been in Alien and wanted a BBQ with her flame thrower when they brought in that dude pregnant by the face hugger the credits would have been rolling. I just couldn't accept that one bit, but It's just how the movie was suppose to be for what ever reasons that might have been, as much as I like to see a Directors Cut of Prometheus, I don't see what else they can tell us from what we've seen in the Theatrical release, that's unless there is more cuts, or takes that are completely different than the ones we seen.

Say all that I enjoyed the film for what it is, and clearing seeing movies that far worst ,Super Man Returns, James Bond Quantum of Solace, Mission in Possible 1,2,3,4.mad.gif

DJoel
post #686 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Alien is especially overrated

Uhm. No. It didn't turn around a genre and influence generations of film-makers by being overrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

and it did get blown away by its sequel. Blade Runner fares better, partly because of the larger scope. however they are only as great as you claim in the context of when they were released. Body of Lies is a superior film to either one of those, in many ways.

Nurse! Nurse. Meds!....
post #687 of 997
Of course you are correct. No movie I have seen over a dozen times is 'overrated'. I should have described it another way. However, your statement could easily apply to so many other movies made that year, it's not even funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Uhm. No. It didn't turn around a genre and influence generations of film-makers by being overrated.
post #688 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Glad you enjoy it for what it is, the delete scenes are cool as well, not that they'll change the way some folks will feel about this film one way or another but it was cool none the less.
Glad the world didn't end on your side of the hemisphere just because you enjoyed it. wink.gif
Djoel

Lol still here and still kickin .Did you guys get the version with the alternate beginning and ending ?
post #689 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Did you guys get the version with the alternate beginning and ending ?
There is no "version", it's just deleted scenes as bonus features, that just happen to include the opening and closing segments of the film. It was a very poorly phrased marketing gimmick that seems to have made a lot of people think the disc contained an alternate cut. Makes me wonder how many returns they've had by people complaining that the disc contained only the theatrical cut.. hehe.

As for how amazing the films are.. SRS's films are what I would define as "good films", and Prometheus ranks among them. But I don't think he's a legendary filmmaker, and I don't think any of his films rank among the greatest films ever made. They're good, and I enjoy some of them quite a bit, but none of them are perfect. It's a bit close-minded to hold Alien and Blade Runner on some sort of pedestal as the idea of a "perfect" sci-fi film. They're both good films, but nostalgia clouds our view of their flaws.
post #690 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

There is no "version", it's just deleted scenes as bonus features, that just happen to include the opening and closing segments of the film. It was a very poorly phrased marketing gimmick that seems to have made a lot of people think the disc contained an alternate cut. Makes me wonder how many returns they've had by people complaining that the disc contained only the theatrical cut.. hehe.

Didn't realise that, thanks for letting us know I thought I had a special version smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Prometheus