or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Prometheus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prometheus - Page 32  

post #931 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Second, I'd wonder if they made some kind of on-the-cheap version of the disc strictly for rental.

Possibly. It's been done before.
post #932 of 997
Redbox kiosks are owned by individual vendors. They source their movies however they want to. There's no telling where they get their movies from. It's no surprise that they cut corners; there's little consumer outrage as any given customer's loss will never be more than $3. There may be tighter regulation or scrutiny in the future, but right now, sourcing is a free for all.
post #933 of 997

I really enjoyed the movie, the audio quality was excellent and the video was among the finest Bluray's in my collection (stopped counting after 250)

 

even on my 4 y/o antiquated equipment including:

 

Epson 1080UB in low lamp mode, natural setting, 12' throw to my $250 generic Ebay screen (120", 16:9 1.3 gain matt white motorized drop-down)

and through the lens on my cheap $150 point and click Fuji (non-SLR) camera...it looks fantastic!

 

prometheus3_zpsc15b790e.jpg

 

prometheus2_zps86e90bc8.jpg

post #934 of 997
^WOW!
That really DOES look great.

Is that epson an LCD?
post #935 of 997

Yup, It's a 5 year old tech (almost 6)  3 LCD Home Cinema Powerlite 1080UB first released in 2007

 

completely untouched photo, other than cropped and reduced in size/resolution to reduce bandwidth

 

in a Bat-Cave of course to get maximum black level/contrast.

 

 

 50" Kuro plasma

 

 

powered remote drop down fleabay screen ($250 Shipped!) also going on 5 years old

 

post #936 of 997
Nice HT, sir.cool.gif

BTW, I just noticed we have the same chairs...biggrin.gif
Edited by oink - 11/17/12 at 5:01pm
post #937 of 997
Thought the Plasma was used as PJ screen by looking at the first 2 pics.biggrin.gif
post #938 of 997
As I've said many times in these threads, constructive criticism is appreciated, even spirited debate. Out-and-out trashing is not.

Some posts have been removed.
post #939 of 997
Okay, well the cinematography was nice, the locations were great and the directing was admirable. The script was more awful than anything I have seen this year. I went into this knowing it might not be the best but it beat everything I had in me to dust. It's just plain incompetent writing at its worst. Knowing that the Lost guy came in and rewrote the thing solves it all for me. Ridley has lost it when it comes to overall quality if you ask me. Apparently, he worked with the second writer for something like 5 weeks. Well, what and the heck went wrong?

I wanted to like the film. After the snakey love scene and the C section abortion IDK but that is just not my idea of a good film. IF the C section had some competent scenes leading up to it and beyond I may have been able to bear the disgusting piece. But it just comes off as a rip off and nothing more. I loved the huge stalker enemy and he was totally and I mean TOTALLY underused in this film. Roomi runs around and everybody is in trouble too much to really care.. Too much is happening in this film. A stark contrast to the beginning scenes where one is led to believe there may be some quiet reflective moments in this film. Nope.

Overall the film had some decent parts and some REALLY bad dialogue. This is nothing new though. Most opinion around the web seems to confirm the same exact thing. This film just suffers from the normal ADHD syndrome where there is no subtlety, no space between the moments, and certainly no character development. I liked Fassbender but he was still underdeveloped. The scenes with him in the ship alone in the first part were great and led me to believe something better was going to come about. It just went downhill from there. Sorry but that is how it is.

I hope at some point Ridley can put one more masterpiece together because he certainly has the filming and directing down. He just needs someone to write a competent script. For instance, can WE PLEASE get some realistic situations, as in Alien, where the brooding atmosphere and tense moments between the violence makes us FEEL edgy instead of bored and crushed under the weight of the action? There is no reason these guys had to act so weird in the caves. And really you could have easily added 30m of more exposition and great dialogue between people in this film. It just feels like a mess of different ideas and ways of doing things. One moment it wants to be secretive and mysterious and the next it is shoving the most grotesque sequences down our throats with no care as to what came before. It just goes and forgets. The love of the woman's life is flamed to death and minutes later we forget it even happened. One liners are getting tired in these types of films. I'm sorry but after the details and excellent script work in Alien or Blade Runner films like this just come off as uselessly modern and contrived.

These overbearing things happen constantly throughout the film. It is just one peak after another and it's infuriating that an audience can no longer be trusted to work out the details and be trusted to be okay with actors in their element. Alien was soooooooo much better than this in every way. But it didn't really have to be.

The bluray was mostly great and the audio very good. Special effects were awesome as to be expected. It is all the more maddening when you see that this film could have been so much more. Nolan where are you? Hell, get Aranofsky on something like this.
Edited by khronikos - 11/21/12 at 1:56pm
post #940 of 997
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

Okay, well the cinematography was nice, the locations were great and the directing was admirable. The script was more awful than anything I have seen this year. I went into this knowing it might not be the best but it beat everything I had in me to dust. It's just plain incompetent writing at its worst. Knowing that the Lost guy came in and rewrote the thing solves it all for me. Ridley has lost it when it comes to overall quality if you ask me. Apparently, he worked with the second writer for something like 5 weeks. Well, what and the heck went wrong?
I wanted to like the film. After the snakey love scene and the C section abortion IDK but that is just not my idea of a good film. IF the C section had some competent scenes leading up to it and beyond I may have been able to bear the disgusting piece. But it just comes off as a rip off and nothing more. I loved the huge stalker enemy and he was totally and I mean TOTALLY underused in this film. Roomi runs around and everybody is in trouble too much to really care.. Too much is happening in this film. A stark contrast to the beginning scenes where one is led to believe there may be some quiet reflective moments in this film. Nope.
Overall the film had some decent parts and some REALLY bad dialogue. This is nothing new though. Most opinion around the web seems to confirm the same exact thing. This film just suffers from the normal ADHD syndrome where there is no subtlety, no space between the moments, and certainly no character development. I liked Fassbender but he was still underdeveloped. The scenes with him in the ship alone in the first part were great and led me to believe something better was going to come about. It just went downhill from there. Sorry but that is how it is.
I hope at some point Ridley can put one more masterpiece together because he certainly has the filming and directing down. He just needs someone to write a competent script. For instance, can WE PLEASE get some realistic situations, as in Alien, where the brooding atmosphere and tense moments between the violence makes us FEEL edgy instead of bored and crushed under the weight of the action? There is no reason these guys had to act so weird in the caves. And really you could have easily added 30m of more exposition and great dialogue between people in this film. It just feels like a mess of different ideas and ways of doing things. One moment it wants to be secretive and mysterious and the next it is shoving the most grotesque sequences down our throats with no care as to what came before. It just goes and forgets. The love of the woman's life is flamed to death and minutes later we forget it even happened. One liners are getting tired in these types of films. I'm sorry but after the details and excellent script work in Alien or Blade Runner films like this just come off as uselessly modern and contrived.
These overbearing things happen constantly throughout the film. It is just one peak after another and it's infuriating that an audience can no longer be trusted to work out the details and be trusted to be okay with actors in their element. Alien was soooooooo much better than this in every way. But it didn't really have to be.
The bluray was mostly great and the audio very good. Special effects were awesome as to be expected. It is all the more maddening when you see that this film could have been so much more. Nolan where are you? Hell, get Aranofsky on something like this.

Nolan was busy making the worst film of his life
post #941 of 997
LOL!

Very true, Prometheus and TDKR are the biggest disappointments of the year for me. Adn not only that but I thougth they both really bad movies on their own.
post #942 of 997
The 3D is soooooo cool though.
post #943 of 997
Nolan realizes he cannot do that anymore and is not on the franchise thank god. It is always a mistake to make a third one is almost every case. Burton quit while he was ahead and BR still remains one of the top two batmans for me.

Ain't no way in hell they were ever topping catwoman from BR no idea why they even tried. Ans she wasn't even the bad thing about the film it was the writing again. I could go on and on but whoever is approving these braindead scripts needs to be fired and then fired again.
Edited by khronikos - 11/21/12 at 11:57pm
post #944 of 997
...just watched Prometheus for the first time. What a disappointment.
Poor script, poor acting, a lot of laughably bad lines of dialogue. How on
earth did Ridley Scott agree to direct this movie?
post #945 of 997
Prometheus is a very good movie. I enjoyed it alot. Some of you like to find faults with every film.

Transformers 2 and 3.....those are obvious bad movies.
post #946 of 997
I still cannot buy Roomi in this film although she does get better as the film goes on. It's either her or her lover that just don't fit. Casting mistake big time. I'll lean toward the bearded gen dude. Yuck. I just cannot believe Ridley worked for 5 weeks with the script writer either. He must really be too busy with things to care anymore. His days as a premier script overseer are clearly over if this is all he has going. I mean come on man. Make these people semi-believable!

I can't harp that much though as Avatar was exponentially worse in almost every way. It just seems they are aiming for the casual crowd and making their trailers appear likeable to the hardcore.

Also, I don't generally like to find faults with every film. If this were Aliens and Alien caliber or even near it I would be impressed. This is crazy grade D scriptwriting at its finest.
post #947 of 997
There is only so much you can say about the disc when talking about something. In particular over 75% of these threads talk about the disc and the film in the same breadth and give equal amounts to each.

For what it is worth the disc is fine by me. I loved the visuals. The sound was properly bassy and very engrossing. The dialogue, heh, well maybe they should have just turned it off.

I didn't catch too many faults with the picture. It could have been a little more sharp and maybe higher bitrate but I am generally fine with the color tone and quality. The planet in particular was awesome and I wished that they had explored it even more. This film simply deserved way more than it got. The duststorm and outerspace shots were frankly amazing on bluray.
post #948 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

Okay, well the cinematography was nice, the locations were great and the directing was admirable. The script was more awful than anything I have seen this year. I went into this knowing it might not be the best but it beat everything I had in me to dust. It's just plain incompetent writing at its worst. Knowing that the Lost guy came in and rewrote the thing solves it all for me. Ridley has lost it when it comes to overall quality if you ask me. Apparently, he worked with the second writer for something like 5 weeks. Well, what and the heck went wrong?
I wanted to like the film. After the snakey love scene and the C section abortion IDK but that is just not my idea of a good film. IF the C section had some competent scenes leading up to it and beyond I may have been able to bear the disgusting piece. But it just comes off as a rip off and nothing more. I loved the huge stalker enemy and he was totally and I mean TOTALLY underused in this film. Roomi runs around and everybody is in trouble too much to really care.. Too much is happening in this film. A stark contrast to the beginning scenes where one is led to believe there may be some quiet reflective moments in this film. Nope.
Overall the film had some decent parts and some REALLY bad dialogue. This is nothing new though. Most opinion around the web seems to confirm the same exact thing. This film just suffers from the normal ADHD syndrome where there is no subtlety, no space between the moments, and certainly no character development. I liked Fassbender but he was still underdeveloped. The scenes with him in the ship alone in the first part were great and led me to believe something better was going to come about. It just went downhill from there. Sorry but that is how it is.
I hope at some point Ridley can put one more masterpiece together because he certainly has the filming and directing down. He just needs someone to write a competent script. For instance, can WE PLEASE get some realistic situations, as in Alien, where the brooding atmosphere and tense moments between the violence makes us FEEL edgy instead of bored and crushed under the weight of the action? There is no reason these guys had to act so weird in the caves. And really you could have easily added 30m of more exposition and great dialogue between people in this film. It just feels like a mess of different ideas and of doing things. One moment it wants to be secretive and mysterious and the next it is shoving the most grotesque sequences down our throats with no care as to what came before. It just goes and forgets. The love of the woman's life is flamed to death and minutes later we forget it even happened. One liners are getting tired in these types of films. I'm sorry but after the details and excellent script work in Alien or Blade Runner films like this just come off as uselessly modern and contrived.
These overbearing things happen constantly throughout the film. It is just one peak after another and it's infuriating that an audience can no longer be trusted to work out the details and be trusted to be okay with actors in their element. Alien was soooooooo much better than this in every way. But it didn't really have to be.
The bluray was mostly great and the audio very good. Special effects were awesome as to be expected. It is all the more maddening when you see that this film could have been so much more. Nolan where are you? Hell, get Aranofsky on something like this.

Excellent summation. This definitely does not inspire confidence in Scott's upcoming Blade Runner 'sequel/remake/etc'. Fortunately, Prometheus's memorable visual esthetics and score imbued it with much needed window dressing, which is rendered beautifully in the BD transfer.
post #949 of 997
Let's just hope the new blade runner isn't anywhere near as bad as the new total recall.

2012's big budget films have been very disappointing. $150 million CGI budgets don't equal good storytelling.
post #950 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

Let's just hope the new blade runner isn't anywhere near as bad as the new total recall.

Please, say it loudly, so Mr. Scott can hear.
post #951 of 997
Bickering posts removed or edited.

Some off-topic posts have been removed.

Thread bans issued.

Keep it civil.
post #952 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Please, say it loudly, so Mr. Scott can hear.

I hate to say it, but at some point certain artists just run out of ideas, or they gain so much power and clout based off their past success, that they become surrounded by yes men who are afraid to correct them when the wheels come loose, or even fall all the way off.

Hopefully neither is true in ridley's case, but based upon what we've seen in prometheus, it's not looking good. (It's hilarious in particular how ridley brags about how he came up with the idea of the ship rolling like a donut after it crashes in the 'making of' features disc. Perhaps he should've thought to have the characters run off to the side, rather than into the shadow of the rolling ship as well?).
post #953 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

I hate to say it, but at some point certain artists just run out of ideas, or they gain so much power and clout based off their past success, that they become surrounded by yes men who are afraid to correct them when the wheels come loose, or even fall all the way off.
Hopefully neither is true in ridley's case, but based upon what we've seen in prometheus, it's not looking good. (It's hilarious in particular how ridley brags about how he came up with the idea of the ship rolling like a donut after it crashes in the 'making of' features disc. Perhaps he should've thought to have the characters run off to the side, rather than into the shadow of the rolling ship as well?).

I can't help but think Sir Ridley Scott has no choice but to sit and discuss and show and do every little thing us modern movie buyers claim we pay for. I'm pretty sure a lot of the bonus stuff is done simply because it's just part of the contract, and not because people like directors, producers, writers, etc really want to. Sure enough, many times these things happen to be great enjoyment to all, but many other times, things would be much better left unsaid. Sir Scott may know better, but is part of bigger wheels set in motion. Having said that, I still enjoy the movie and treasure my 4-disc collector's edition. cool.gif

On a side note, just look at how long this thread has come to be. That says a lot to me, in terms of just how grand---grander than most seem to admit---Prometheus is! wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, yeah... Bring on the sequel!
Edited by Taranteacher - 11/26/12 at 9:44am
post #954 of 997
I enjoyed the storyline mainly because the space jockey was a major interest to me since the original alien movie. Unfortunately the casting director did a HORRIBLE job with Prometheus, really a disservice to the fans expecting another epic space yarn from Ridley Scott. You take Sigourney Weaver, Ian Holm, and Yaphet Koto and replace them with Charlize Theron (dead personality), Noomi Rapace (boring to the point of falling asleep during her talking segments), and Idris Elba (who i adored on The Wire, but just isnt as interesting a character in a space opera like Yaphet or even the lovable Al Matthews aka Apone from Aliens) and there you have it. Im still looking forward to Prometheus 2. Im really hoping since the entire crew was killed off except Noomi unfortunately, the new cast of characters going to visit the Engineers alien planet will be alot more memorable and Ridley can save this franchise after Alien 3 killed it off.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/
post #955 of 997
Although it goes overboard for the sake of comedy, this bit from Red Letter Media does a pretty good job of summing up a lot of the plot holes and inconsistencies, including my favorite bit with the rolling spaceship:
post #956 of 997
^^^^^ that's great
post #957 of 997
Thread Starter 
Posted way back
post #958 of 997
Hey, about shadow detail.

I consider this a reference movie for evaluating and comparing shadow detail. The shadow detail is so good that there is detail well below 'black' which is obviously intended to be black. The shades of black in the underground cave scenes are very, very detailed. Even dark scenes on the bridge of Prometheus. Console panels are hidden by shadow just beneath reference black and there are definitely visible details right at 1% and 2% black. The better your TV is at producing black detail, the better this movie will look.

I have a HTPC which the HDMI output had a differing contrast and black level compared to my Sony Blu-Ray player which is connected to the same TV. I set two different settings, one for each device. Then I went about syncing up the two by adjusting the brightness/contrast offsets in the video card driver. I used Prometheus to obtain a spot on match between my blu ray player and my HTPC output (when putting each device on the same paused frame and comparing where black details were just becoming visible with brightness adjustments). Prometheus and it's incredible shadow detail allowed me to sync up the HTPC's video blacks levels with the Sony Blu-Ray player. I used the Monster "white shirt" contrast test video loop to set the contrast as close as I could.

I was just curious if anyone else found that Prometheus' black detail to be as good as I did?
post #959 of 997
Thread Starter 
The disc is near faultless, its a stunner
post #960 of 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Hey, about shadow detail.
I consider this a reference movie for evaluating and comparing shadow detail. The shadow detail is so good that there is detail well below 'black' which is obviously intended to be black. The shades of black in the underground cave scenes are very, very detailed. Even dark scenes on the bridge of Prometheus. Console panels are hidden by shadow just beneath reference black and there are definitely visible details right at 1% and 2% black. The better your TV is at producing black detail, the better this movie will look.
I have a HTPC which the HDMI output had a differing contrast and black level compared to my Sony Blu-Ray player which is connected to the same TV. I set two different settings, one for each device. Then I went about syncing up the two by adjusting the brightness/contrast offsets in the video card driver. I used Prometheus to obtain a spot on match between my blu ray player and my HTPC output (when putting each device on the same paused frame and comparing where black details were just becoming visible with brightness adjustments). Prometheus and it's incredible shadow detail allowed me to sync up the HTPC's video blacks levels with the Sony Blu-Ray player. I used the Monster "white shirt" contrast test video loop to set the contrast as close as I could.
I was just curious if anyone else found that Prometheus' black detail to be as good as I did?

Yep. I watched this on my pioneer 60" and you're 100% correct. The black and shadow detail is really good. I love it when a movie has many different shades. Like the Harry Potter films which are extremely dark and a torture test for displays.

You reminded me that i need to watch this again. I really liked this movie. It's really good and it's worthy to be in the alien universe. Never will i listen to peoples opinions about a movie. Or anything for that matter. It can cloud your judgement.
Edited by saprano - 12/12/12 at 11:34am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Prometheus