or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › VPN's. Who's using what?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VPN's. Who's using what? - Page 2

post #31 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

I've been using hidemyass! for the last few weeks. Speed is adequate, but not outstanding. Disconnects are pretty rare. Has enough bandwidth to watch BBC iPlayer from their UK servers w/ pretty good quality.
My plan is to try VyprVPN after my one month with HMA is done. It's more expense, but has some advantages I wanna try.

I found VyperVPN to take my connection speeds down to a slow crawl.
post #32 of 138
The length of copyright in this country is redicuolous. 95 years after the creator's death. I guess that is a "limit" but that is at least one generation after the creator's death which is really rediculous. In the case of the Mouse it is protected until the time my grandchildren will be nearly pushing daisey's (can I use that term? Disney/ABC show you know). This length of time is completely rediculous. I think a year or two is enough to milk previous work. I get paid for the work I do TODAY not something I did 20 years ago.
post #33 of 138
I use ExpressVPN. Good value. Increasing number of servers and can use any available anytime. Included access on smartphones (one phone has to pay extra).

I'm not sure about what they log, but I would assume it's similar to other VPNs. Like Assassin, I rarely log into to US server since I use it mainly to spoof my IP to access services only available outside the US such as BBC iPlayer, international online sports packages such as the NFL.

If what is said is true and they're only logging the IP of the incoming connection, unless you're doing something like a bit torrent, I wouldn't worry about it. They're only logging the IP your ISP gave you. Depending on what you're doing, I would be more concerned with the encryption methods. I would really be concerned if the VPN is snooping because the VPN is secure outside in, but if an employee of the VPN could take your info, such as financial transactions data.

Thus is why it recommend to go with establish VPNs, and one's with a lot of bandwidth.
post #34 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Because our country is crazy when it comes to these laws and I don't trust them. Just my opinion.

Amen to that...

So are we talking about VPN for usenet access here? Or what? I use SSL connection to giganews... should I be using their vpn as well?
post #35 of 138
Good question. I use eu server and ssl.
post #36 of 138
I'm doubly paranoid...been using SSL on newsgroups in addition to VPN. tongue.gif

Also, it's probably not just US servers you should stay away from, but UK, French, and German as well.

What's the point of paying for a service like HMA, if they're going to just turn your information over anyway whenever they're asked for it? rolleyes.gif
post #37 of 138
I'm still confused. Are you connecting to VPN and then connecting to a usenet server via that VPN connection? Does that decrease your speed a lot? Does SSL not encrypt enough to keep you safe without the VPN?
post #38 of 138
well a lot of you seem really misinformed about what happened with hide my ass.

http://blog.hidemyass.com/2011/09/23/lulzsec-fiasco/

They revealed the information because the person involved was involved with ILLEGAL activites as laid out by hma on that post. copyright infringement is still LEGAL in the USA and many other countries (and hopefully forever) it is however an infringement of someones copyright and thus subject to CIVIL penalties such as fines. If you recall NEVER in the history of the USA has ANYONE EVER been arrested for copyright infringement since as I pointed out is not illegal!

I recently recommended hma to a friend who was worried about giving out this cc info and thus his identity and whether they would release logs. I said to him, are you doing anything illegal with your connection (restating the above to him) he said well I guess not and then I said well then you have nothing to worry about for now...

I also brought up a couple of things to him about not having logs etc. Do you really think there should be completely annonymous internet connections where anything from human trafficking, child prostitution, pedophilia etc that such activities should or could be completely anonymous? Thats kind of a scary thought and yes perhaps there are other ways to catch these guys but seriously think of the moral dilemma here.

Personally I log into canada which is what I suggested to a friend because my activities online in order for them to sue me would involve getting a court order in 2 countries (barring such crazy things as that poor uk kid getting extradited) in order to reveal my true identity which I dont think has ever been done. However with that being said with all the crazy potential legislation trying to get passed I might consider moving to a truly annonymous vpn service simply as a voice that the bat **** crazy agenda that is getting pushed through this country and all over the world at the behest of the riaa/mpaa etc. To me it would be an act of protest.

I do suggest that all members of avs become a member of the copy left and truly push towards a more sane way to protect ones intellectual or physical products (however I and many others could successfully argue there is no need for copy protection whatsoever in a capitalist economy.

There are very serious things going on in the world right now that if the riaa/mpaa monster doesnt get its back broken now it will successfully legislate to enact laws that secure and force its ****** business model on all of us.

I highly recommend techdirt.com to keep up to date on these issues as well as orginazations such as the eff https://www.eff.org/ and the fsf http://www.fsf.org/

Mike over at techdirt has written some fascinating articles about people using kickstarter etc to bypass the outdated music/ film industries and actually make it as an artist and not see all your money stolen from these ridiculous companies. the entire hollywood/ music industry needs to die and we should all be doing our part to help educate other people on these important issues facing us today.

(and yes I am serious and no this isnt an article this is how I feel)

So yeah I use hma and I think they did the right thing. I like some of the stuff that anonymous etc have done but it was technically illegal and some of the targets they have chosen are shameful (hello pbs) I mean come on its pbs the one friggen news outlet trying to preserve journalism. Obviously they didnt do enough to protect themselves when executing these attacks and maybe if they are going to take on such big targets they should learn how to be safe before they do it.
post #39 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask View Post

well a lot of you seem really misinformed about what happened with hide my ass.
http://blog.hidemyass.com/2011/09/23/lulzsec-fiasco/
They revealed the information because the person involved was involved with ILLEGAL activites as laid out by hma on that post. copyright infringement is still LEGAL in the USA and many other countries (and hopefully forever) it is however an infringement of someones copyright and thus subject to CIVIL penalties such as fines. If you recall NEVER in the history of the USA has ANYONE EVER been arrested for copyright infringement since as I pointed out is not illegal!

The bottom line though: They turned over information when asked mainly because they are located in a country that required them to do so. I don't really care what HMA's argument is. When I am paying someone to make me anonymous that is unacceptable.
post #40 of 138
I'm in favor of copyright protections staying in place but I'm not in favor of works being copyrighted forever. This was not the framer's intent.

Disney should no longer be permitted to milk Minny Mouse' tits for profit. That belongs in the public domain now.
post #41 of 138
Assassin I disagree. I think they did the right thing. If you want to do illegal stuff on their software they specifically ask you to use some other service as laid out in their tos. Now if they start giving out info for copyright infringement you can bet they go out of business and I HIGHLY DOUBT they would ever do so for obvious reasons and if the laws change drastically I would put money on them moving their offices to another country entirely with more reasonable laws.
post #42 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhancock View Post

I'm still confused. Are you connecting to VPN and then connecting to a usenet server via that VPN connection? Does that decrease your speed a lot? Does SSL not encrypt enough to keep you safe without the VPN?

Yes to all of your questions, basically:

1) Connect to a VPN server first, at which point you will have an encrypted tunnel btwn your home computer and the Internet

2) Connect to your Usenet server via your favorite news client over SSL

3) Search and d/l as you normally would, albiet you may experience degredations in speed, depending on the VPN server that you're connecting to
post #43 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhancock View Post

I'm still confused. Are you connecting to VPN and then connecting to a usenet server via that VPN connection? Does that decrease your speed a lot? Does SSL not encrypt enough to keep you safe without the VPN?

VPN, then Usenet server. SSL encryption is probably enough as the ISP cannot see what you are transferring, only how much. However, even with SSL, they can still see whom you are connecting to. If you connect through the VPN first, the ISP cannot see who the connection is made to.

Depending on the server, I can get around 85-90% of my normal speed.

I have to agree with Assassin regarding HMA. Do I support illegal activities? No. However, when VPN providers tout anonymity as their chief selling point (and they all do), then they better not be keeping IP trails on who's doing what. Defeats the purpose of paying for a VPN in the first place.
post #44 of 138
It is intetresting to see responses from US based people, here in the UK we have the Digital Economy Act. This places the burden on the ISP to identify the user upon recieving a legal complaint from a copyright holder, on identifying you I guess by IP address, the ISP then has to write to you asking to you to cease. It is my understanding that you can recieved up to 3 letters in a 12 month period before legal matters can be progressed.

From a user point of view I use StrongVPN with a New York IP address, my reckoning is that even if my ISP can idenity me (unlikely as I am using a VPN service and SSL), StrongVPN cannot be persued as they are not governing by UK law.
post #45 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I'm in favor of copyright protections staying in place but I'm not in favor of works being copyrighted forever. This was not the framer's intent.
Disney should no longer be permitted to milk Minny Mouse' tits for profit. That belongs in the public domain now.

I'm sorry and maybe I'm very tired right now but that was funny !!! Couldn't stop laughing biggrin.gif:D
post #46 of 138
clevoir I would suggest connecting to a country with better privacy laws such as canada or wherever privacy is still respected if there is such a place anymore.
post #47 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevoir25 View Post

It is intetresting to see responses from US based people, here in the UK we have the Digital Economy Act. This places the burden on the ISP to identify the user upon recieving a legal complaint from a copyright holder, on identifying you I guess by IP address, the ISP then has to write to you asking to you to cease. It is my understanding that you can recieved up to 3 letters in a 12 month period before legal matters can be progressed.
From a user point of view I use StrongVPN with a New York IP address, my reckoning is that even if my ISP can idenity me (unlikely as I am using a VPN service and SSL), StrongVPN cannot be persued as they are not governing by UK law.

Tell that to the UK 24 year old who is getting extradited to the US because he ran a website that only provided links to other websites that hosted TV show streams. The UK served up Lulzsec to the US because he was using a US based VPN (HMA). I'd imagine by using SSL there wouldn't be any issue, but by using a US based VPN server, on a VPN company that aggressively keeps IP logs, I'd probably be searching for a different VPN provider.
Quote:
StrongVPN

This company did not directly answer our questions but pointed us to their logkeeping policy instead.

StrongVPN do log and are able to match an external IP address to their subscribers. We have included them here since they were the most outwardly aggressive provider in our survey when it came to dealing with infringement.

“StrongVPN does not restrict P2P usage, but please note sharing of Copyrighted materials is forbidden, please do not do this or we will have to take action against your account,” they told us, later adding in a separate mail: “StrongVPN Notice: You may NOT distribute copyright-protected material through our network. We may cancel your account if that happens.”

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/
post #48 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoe View Post

Tell that to the UK 24 year old who is getting extradited to the US because he ran a website that only provided links to other websites that hosted TV show streams. The UK served up Lulzsec to the US because he was using a US based VPN (HMA). I'd imagine by using SSL there wouldn't be any issue, but by using a US based VPN server, on a VPN company that aggressively keeps IP logs, I'd probably be searching for a different VPN provider.
http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

This.

No thanks. I will take my business elsewhere. I am sure that many of us do something on the internet that some idiot somewhere thinks is "illegal".
post #49 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask View Post

well a lot of you seem really misinformed about what happened with hide my ass.
http://blog.hidemyass.com/2011/09/23/lulzsec-fiasco/
They revealed the information because the person involved was involved with ILLEGAL activites as laid out by hma on that post. copyright infringement is still LEGAL in the USA and many other countries (and hopefully forever) it is however an infringement of someones copyright and thus subject to CIVIL penalties such as fines. If you recall NEVER in the history of the USA has ANYONE EVER been arrested for copyright infringement since as I pointed out is not illegal!

I dont think that word means what you think it means. Something can be illegal but not criminal. Copyright violations are one such example.
post #50 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask View Post

Assassin I disagree. I think they did the right thing. If you want to do illegal stuff on their software they specifically ask you to use some other service as laid out in their tos. Now if they start giving out info for copyright infringement you can bet they go out of business and I HIGHLY DOUBT they would ever do so for obvious reasons and if the laws change drastically I would put money on them moving their offices to another country entirely with more reasonable laws.

Again, copyright infringement is illegal. And I agree that HMA didn't do anything "wrong", but I think the bigger point is that you may be better off using a service provider who cannot be compelled by law enforcement to provide your information. It seems like anonymity is one of the chief reasons for using vpn. Why use a service that does not truly provide anonymity? Also, you don't have to break the law to have your records pulled, there merely has to be some articulable belief that you may be breaking the law. So really, HMA doesn't seem to provide much, if any, anonymity.
post #51 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfordb View Post

I dont think that word means what you think it means. Something can be illegal but not criminal. Copyright violations are one such example.

Yes, something can be illegal but not criminal, but copyright infringement can most certainly be criminal. Better go read 17 USC §506. Oh, and contrary to the previous poster, lots of people have been convicted in the US for criminal copyright infringement. If you doubt that go Google as but one example Operation Site Down that resulted in over 40 convictions.


Interestingly, watching copyrighted content on a streaming pirate site may be less likely than torrenting to be criminal because torrenting generally means that you are actively sharing (I.e distributing) content rather than just passively viewing it. That's up to the courts though.
post #52 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfordb View Post

the bigger point is that you may be better off using a service provider who cannot be compelled by law enforcement to provide your information. It seems like anonymity is one of the chief reasons for using vpn. Why use a service that does not truly provide anonymity? Also, you don't have to break the law to have your records pulled, there merely has to be some articulable belief that you may be breaking the law. So really, HMA doesn't seem to provide much, if any, anonymity.

Yep. That's it. This guy gets it.
post #53 of 138
I am giving privatVPN a shot. I set up an OpenVPN connection using the dd-wrt VPN capabilities in my router. I got it working and am connected through one of their VPN servers but I am getting DNS lookup errors. Anyone with familiarity of setting up a VPN directly in a dd-wrt router have any ideas on what the issue is? Is it a router configuration issue or a privateVPN server issue?
post #54 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post

I am giving privatVPN a shot. I set up an OpenVPN connection using the dd-wrt VPN capabilities in my router. I got it working and am connected through one of their VPN servers but I am getting DNS lookup errors. Anyone with familiarity of setting up a VPN directly in a dd-wrt router have any ideas on what the issue is? Is it a router configuration issue or a privateVPN server issue?

No idea. I just open the program and hit connect.
post #55 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

No idea. I just open the program and hit connect.

Are you using dd-wrt or the client app? I'm assuming the latter.
post #56 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post

Are you using dd-wrt or the client app? I'm assuming the latter.

Client app.
post #57 of 138
Yeah, I have OpenVPN capabilities directly in my router so want to see if I can get that working first. It's connected, just need to figure out what I need to do with DNS.
post #58 of 138
Further your comments I have now ceased StrongVPN and are giving Air VPN a go on a 3 month trial. I am in the UK and I'm using their Amsterdam server and don't notice any difference in speed.

Response to Q1: The company carries no identifying logs.

Response to Q2: “Jurisdiction is in the EU, under most circumstances Italy (country of the company and home of the person legally responsible for data protection), but applicable law may be one of the EU Member States where the servers of the network are physically located (no servers are in Italy),” AirVPN told us.

“We don’t share any information with anyone.”

AirVPN does NOT monitor and does NOT log your activity online.
post #59 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevoir25 View Post

Further your comments I have now ceased StrongVPN and are giving Air VPN a go on a 3 month trial. I am in the UK and I'm using their Amsterdam server and don't notice any difference in speed.
Response to Q1: The company carries no identifying logs.
Response to Q2: “Jurisdiction is in the EU, under most circumstances Italy (country of the company and home of the person legally responsible for data protection), but applicable law may be one of the EU Member States where the servers of the network are physically located (no servers are in Italy),” AirVPN told us.
“We don’t share any information with anyone.”
AirVPN does NOT monitor and does NOT log your activity online.

Smart move. cool.gif
post #60 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevoir25 View Post

Further your comments I have now ceased StrongVPN and are giving Air VPN a go on a 3 month trial. I am in the UK and I'm using their Amsterdam server and don't notice any difference in speed.
Response to Q1: The company carries no identifying logs.
Response to Q2: “Jurisdiction is in the EU, under most circumstances Italy (country of the company and home of the person legally responsible for data protection), but applicable law may be one of the EU Member States where the servers of the network are physically located (no servers are in Italy),” AirVPN told us.
“We don’t share any information with anyone.”
AirVPN does NOT monitor and does NOT log your activity online.

I see that AirVPN (and some others) take "Bitcoins" in paymnent.

Can someone here who has used Bitcoins give a short tutorial on how that works and how you annomously convert currency into Bitcoins or otherwise build a balance in a Bitcoins account?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › VPN's. Who's using what?