or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HELP! I Only get 11MB/sec transfer speeds to and from my WHS2011 media server. What should I do ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP! I Only get 11MB/sec transfer speeds to and from my WHS2011 media server. What should I... - Page 3

post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

Not my experience. It was more likely the quality of the cables you tried, not whether they were cross-over or not. It definitely matters -- you really need cat6 cables, unless you get lucky with a good cat5e cable. Devices these days automatically detect when cross-over is needed.

You know what, you're probably right. I should have known, because I've definitely bought "Cat 5e" cables from amazon that ended up being Cat 5 cables. Definitely be careful when buying cables from amazon. It's a shame that monoprice shipping costs are sort of expensive if you live on the east coast.
post #62 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

You know what, you're probably right. I should have known, because I've definitely bought "Cat 5e" cables from amazon that ended up being Cat 5 cables. Definitely be careful when buying cables from amazon. It's a shame that monoprice shipping costs are sort of expensive if you live on the east coast.

Is there a big difference in 5 and 5e ?

What is the difference?
post #63 of 77
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Is there a big difference in 5 and 5e ?
What is the difference?

Cat 5 is not capable of gigabit speeds. You need Cat 5e (or Cat 6).
Edited by lockdown571 - 7/13/12 at 5:44pm
post #65 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Cat 5 is not capable of gigabit speeds. You need Cat 5e (or Cat 6).

Almost all the cables I own are 5e since I never buy just 5. This I am sure.

But I do have some old ones dating back a long time... Anyone know or advise about how long ago 5e vs 5 existed?

Is there a way to tell just buy looking at the cable?

I want to make sure I am using the right ones.

If I see 80MB transfer speeds to and from server I assume my cables are probably ok ? Right ?
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Almost all the cables I own are 5e since I never buy just 5. This I am sure.
But I do have some old ones dating back a long time... Anyone know or advise about how long ago 5e vs 5 existed?
Is there a way to tell just buy looking at the cable?
I want to make sure I am using the right ones.
If I see 80MB transfer speeds to and from server I assume my cables are probably ok ? Right ?

If you are getting 80MB/s transfer speeds, then why worry?
post #67 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

If you are getting 80MB/s transfer speeds, then why worry?

Because if I grab the wrong cable and I can't tell I might use a non 5e cable.

I am certain something in my house is probably hooked up with one somewhere. I would just like to know so in the future when I hook stuff up I can use the 5e cables.

How could I tell?
post #68 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Because if I grab the wrong cable and I can't tell I might use a non 5e cable.
I am certain something in my house is probably hooked up with one somewhere. I would just like to know so in the future when I hook stuff up I can use the 5e cables.
How could I tell?

Usually it's printed right on the cable itself. From my experience, Cat 5 cables are thinner than Cat 5e cables (the Cat 5 cables are flat while the Cat 5e cables are more solid and round), although I don't know if this is always the case.
post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

QOS doesn't work over the internet.

Correct.

QOS only decides who gets the what % of the Internet bandwidth for their traffic to/from the router on the LAN side.
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

You put your home wireless network outside your firewall? Why would you do that? I've set up seperate guest wireless access outside the firewall, but I want my own wireless network protected just as much as my wired network. I'd put the secuity appliance between the modem and the router.

Actually no, ,but I see your point.

In my case it's a :
Cable modem
router/firewall (M0n0wall software on a PC)
backbone gigabit switch
wiFi access point, computers, servers, etc.

Many may have their router and WiFi in a single box.

Actually with my setup, you are vulnerable if someone got into your passphrase protected wifi directly, but I'm not in a downtown situation and don't worry about this so much.
post #71 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Usually it's printed right on the cable itself. From my experience, Cat 5 cables are thinner than Cat 5e cables (the Cat 5 cables are flat while the Cat 5e cables are more solid and round), although I don't know if this is always the case.

I just check the cable running my server from my switch and it said Category 6 on it with a bunch of other mumbo jumbo. It's rounder and not flat like you claim.

I guess I am good there. My PC is hooked up to the same switch with a 5e cable. So I am good on those two.

Now I need to check the rest of my system.

If I find a 5 I will replace with a 5e or 6. I pretty sure I have enough spare to do so but I never paid attention that much to the cables. I just grab the right length and go.
I might even throw away the 5 cables if I find them since I don't need them and the replacement at Monoprice are cheap enough.
post #72 of 77
Thread Starter 
I've long since replaced all my cables with CAT6 newer versions and my speed over network has increased... specifically on the long run in my home it increased 15MB sec... and sustains 100MB+ copy and pastes... That's about a 50 foot run.

Dat Dere Cat6... Get some.
post #73 of 77
When I ran Gigabit through my house last year I gathered every patch cable in the house and got rid of them all. Then purchased all new CAT6 cables from Monoprice. I was going to make my own patch cables, but everything I've read told me not to do it. Too much room for error and a robot can make them much better and cheaper (from Monoprice) than I can. Only terminate Ethernet to punchdowns and don't use wire strippers, the nylon string is in there for a reason.
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I've long since replaced all my cables with CAT6 newer versions and my speed over network has increased... specifically on the long run in my home it increased 15MB sec... and sustains 100MB+ copy and pastes... That's about a 50 foot run.

Dat Dere Cat6... Get some.

So are you getting 100MB/s transfers from your WHS now? I know I have run in to issues with the cheapo realtek lan chips on most consumer boards. With my Synology 1812+ I would only hit 50MB/s, popped in a Intel Pro 1000 and hit 100MB/s no other changes.

I use qualty cat 5e cables for all my runs (NAS to switch was ~50', switch to desktop ~10').

Unfortunatly I had to deploy my Synology at my company due to our SAN frying (out of warranty). So I am putting together a flexraid setup now...
post #75 of 77
Thread Starter 
Yup. This thread is old bit originally my router was not gigabit.

Once that got resolved I got 80mb.

Swapping to intel LAN got me 90.

Cat 6 + intel has me over 100.

I've seen 115. But its consistently faster or as fast as my average HDD performance so I'm happy.
post #76 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yup. This thread is old bit originally my router was not gigabit.

Once that got resolved I got 80mb.

Swapping to intel LAN got me 90.

Cat 6 + intel has me over 100.

I've seen 115. But its consistently faster or as fast as my average HDD performance so I'm happy.

For long runs Cat 6 sometimes makes a difference, it also deals with interference much better due to the increased turns/inch. I'm currently using realtek nic's with cat5e and when I rarely move files around I easily see 100MB/s.
post #77 of 77
Thread Starter 
I noticed that CAT 6 was better specifically on the longer run from my office to my theater.

The longer the run or the more bends it has.. the better cat6 is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HELP! I Only get 11MB/sec transfer speeds to and from my WHS2011 media server. What should I do ??