or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › LED or LCD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LED or LCD?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Does LED have any real advantages over LCD? What is the HZ, applied to these mean? I have an Oppo 93 and would connect that alone to the TY monitor with HDMI..
Bob
post #2 of 22
LCD is just that.
LED is the type of backlight used.

An LCD TV is backlit using either LED or CCFL.
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBob View Post

Does LED have any real advantages over LCD? What is the HZ, applied to these mean? I have an Oppo 93 and would connect that alone to the TY monitor with HDMI..
Bob

local dimming LED-LCDs can have better contrast ratios and black levels but you need a lot of dimming zones for it to work properly (typically full-array LED backlights with LD are better than edge-lit LED backlights with LD)
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
You have me at a little loss for understanding. I never bothered much with Video. What I am able to say is my rooms are dark. I am thinking about buying my first long flat screen. I am hearing the common talk, not from experts. They seem to say the new LED is best? I am just not sure how to get started?

Ask me audio, I know all about it, but video, I have two HT setups, very nice audio, but I still have the old square TV because my entertainment centre is made for them. Where my big stereo is, I have a wall that would fit any size screen, yet not sure I wnat to have it there as I watch TV and movies mainly in bed. My cousin you has no ears for sound, has three LED, I believe, one is 3D. I do not wnat to make a big change and am interested in one good model, about 46-50”, which I can hang on the wall. I heard the plasma are heavy and use more power, uet this is just what I hear locally and anyone who uses amplifier as I have, is not going to make a big deal over 100 watts more. I see the LED usually costs more and I know Best Buy sells their one, less high standard LG, from what a salesperson had told me. I do not know what brand is best, I hear LG, Sony and Panasonic most often
post #5 of 22
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBob View Post

You have me at a little loss for understanding. I never bothered much with Video. What I am able to say is my rooms are dark. I am thinking about buying my first long flat screen. I am hearing the common talk, not from experts. They seem to say the new LED is best? I am just not sure how to get started?
Ask me audio, I know all about it, but video, I have two HT setups, very nice audio, but I still have the old square TV because my entertainment centre is made for them. Where my big stereo is, I have a wall that would fit any size screen, yet not sure I wnat to have it there as I watch TV and movies mainly in bed. My cousin you has no ears for sound, has three LED, I believe, one is 3D. I do not wnat to make a big change and am interested in one good model, about 46-50”, which I can hang on the wall. I heard the plasma are heavy and use more power, uet this is just what I hear locally and anyone who uses amplifier as I have, is not going to make a big deal over 100 watts more. I see the LED usually costs more and I know Best Buy sells their one, less high standard LG, from what a salesperson had told me. I do not know what brand is best, I hear LG, Sony and Panasonic most often

The new plasma models are not that heavy, heavier than the ultra-slim edge lit LED models, but much lighter than a few years back.
A 50" Panasonic plasma weighs about 50 pounds for example.
Similarly plasmas take about 1/2 the power they did a few years ago, still more than current LED models, but not too bad.
If you are looking for a set that looks great in the dark, consider the 2012 Panasonic plasmas that get the top spots in reviews and the best black levels, at bargain prices.
I'd recommend checking out a Panasonic 50" 50ST50 for example.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post


If you are looking for a set that looks great in the dark, consider the 2012 Panasonic plasmas that get the top spots in reviews and the best black levels, at bargain prices.
I'd recommend checking out a Panasonic 50" 50ST50 for example.

+1, you can get the best PQ for the money with plasma, especially in a dark room (in screen sizes 50" and up)
post #8 of 22
Your best bet is a plasma. Look at the top 5 pics on cnet and 4 of the 5 are plasma. I just got a panasonic vt50 and it blows everything away but the panasonic st50 is best bang for buck this year. Do yourself a favore and look into plasma esp since your rooms are dark. You won't regret it.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker socal View Post

I just got a panasonic vt50 and it blows everything away but the panasonic st50 is best bang for buck this year.

You're saying the VT blows the ST away as well?
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

You're saying the VT blows the ST away as well?

In terms of overall PQ, the ST50/GT50/VT50 are pretty much identical
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

You're saying the VT blows the ST away as well?
Yes, esp with doing 24p properly and motion is a lot better with the 96hz. The blacks and shadow detail is far better with the vt. Kinda funny the last 2 months i started with the st50 some things bugged me so i took it back got the gt50 was happy but slight motion problem (seems like i was the only who saw it out of all my friends). So i then got the vt50 this is the best rated tv this year and for good reason. If you can afford the vt50 do it you wont be disappointed. The vt50 is by far the best tv i have ever owned or seen with exception to the kuro elite. Between the gt and the st if you have a bright room id probably go with the gt. if you do all watching tv at night st would be just fine.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker socal View Post

Yes, esp with doing 24p properly and motion is a lot better with the 96hz. The blacks and shadow detail is far better with the vt. Kinda funny the last 2 months i started with the st50 some things bugged me so i took it back got the gt50 was happy but slight motion problem (seems like i was the only who saw it out of all my friends). So i then got the vt50 this is the best rated tv this year and for good reason. If you can afford the vt50 do it you wont be disappointed. The vt50 is by far the best tv i have ever owned or seen with exception to the kuro elite. Between the gt and the st if you have a bright room id probably go with the gt. if you do all watching tv at night st would be just fine.

CNET seems to think the three are more alike than different in terms of overall PQ.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

In terms of overall PQ, the ST50/GT50/VT50 are pretty much identical
I dont agree having all 3 there are differences esp with the vt and how it handles movies with the 96hz and proper 24p. There is a reason why it won the shootout this year. While i will admit the st50 gets u 75% there. Id say the gt50 and st50 are closer to each other.with the main advantage of gt50 with thx cinema and thx bright room. All said if you cant afford the vt50 get the st50 and you would be very happy.
post #14 of 22
I wish Panasonic provided the 96Hz mode in the ST and GT lines as well, like Samsung does on their mid-priced plasma models (E550, E6500) not just the high end (E8000)
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

I wish Panasonic provided the 96Hz mode in the ST and GT lines as well, like Samsung does on their mid-priced plasma models (E550, E6500) not just the high end (E8000)

I guess Panasonic is doing this to increase sales of the VT50.
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

The new plasma models are not that heavy, heavier than the ultra-slim edge lit LED models, but much lighter than a few years back.
A 50" Panasonic plasma weighs about 50 pounds for example.
Similarly plasmas take about 1/2 the power they did a few years ago, still more than current LED models, but not too bad.
If you are looking for a set that looks great in the dark, consider the 2012 Panasonic plasmas that get the top spots in reviews and the best black levels, at bargain prices.
I'd recommend checking out a Panasonic 50" 50ST50 for example.

OK, thank you, I will look fir this model. All you told me, was new to me and all I had to go on was one middle-age man from Best Buy, who knew a few things, and my cousin, who has an LED LG 55" 3D and two LED Samsung; he really does not know anything about these video monitors, nor cares to know? He hears someone say the LED is best and buys it. I would tell him all what I leaned here, but he does not care about it. I may look for bargains and I hope to find the Panasonic 50ST50, but since I am in a dark room, I might do alright with the GT50? If it costs me less, it would be worth it? I do like knowing what is the best and best deal for my money.

I am still a bit at a loss on the difference in HZ and the 24P? I think I get the 1080P, that is the pixel count across the TV, right, and I is interlaced, I guess? All I have that will use the best picture is my Oppo 93, direct with HDMI to the monitor, all the rest will be component and maybe even composite, as I have way over 1000 moves of VHS and everyone gives me their now because, liking 40s film noir, I have about 7 VCRs, some unopened in the box because I want to have them as long as I live. Yet being a half-sighted old man, does not mean I would not enjoy a good big scream TV monitor.

I have to admit, I am not visually gifted as I am with audio. I could mount 50 pounds, with a little help. The other Panasonic the VT50, now does that have more with the HZ business? When I read HZ, I think scope, and in audio bandwidth, but I at at a loss of video, yet I would like a good one. I plan to use this and if I like it, maybe another? I will need one component video in, maybe a composite for menus if this is still necessarily, as with my old TVs.
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Is Samsung also good now? Should I compare shop for the E550, E6500? Any store suggestions? I thin Best Buy is going out of business, and we have a Costco and Sams, that is where my cousin buys and he does the city driving.
post #18 of 22
How does the VT50 do in the light? I'm torn as to what I want in the 55 size at 2000 bucks.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnp614 View Post

How does the VT50 do in the light? I'm torn as to what I want in the 55 size at 2000 bucks.

as good as or better than any non-matte LED/LCD
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBob View Post

OK, thank you, I will look fir this model. All you told me, was new to me and all I had to go on was one middle-age man from Best Buy, who knew a few things, and my cousin, who has an LED LG 55" 3D and two LED Samsung; he really does not know anything about these video monitors, nor cares to know? He hears someone say the LED is best and buys it. I would tell him all what I leaned here, but he does not care about it. I may look for bargains and I hope to find the Panasonic 50ST50, but since I am in a dark room, I might do alright with the GT50? If it costs me less, it would be worth it? I do like knowing what is the best and best deal for my money.
I am still a bit at a loss on the difference in HZ and the 24P? I think I get the 1080P, that is the pixel count across the TV, right, and I is interlaced, I guess? All I have that will use the best picture is my Oppo 93, direct with HDMI to the monitor, all the rest will be component and maybe even composite, as I have way over 1000 moves of VHS and everyone gives me their now because, liking 40s film noir, I have about 7 VCRs, some unopened in the box because I want to have them as long as I live. Yet being a half-sighted old man, does not mean I would not enjoy a good big scream TV monitor.
I have to admit, I am not visually gifted as I am with audio. I could mount 50 pounds, with a little help. The other Panasonic the VT50, now does that have more with the HZ business? When I read HZ, I think scope, and in audio bandwidth, but I at at a loss of video, yet I would like a good one. I plan to use this and if I like it, maybe another? I will need one component video in, maybe a composite for menus if this is still necessarily, as with my old TVs.

The ST50 is cheaper than the GT50, which is cheaper than the VT50. In terms of overall PQ, they are all quite close (unless you're very picky).
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBob View Post


I am still a bit at a loss on the difference in HZ and the 24P? I think I get the 1080P, that is the pixel count across the TV, right, and I is interlaced, I guess? All I have that will use the best picture is my Oppo 93, direct with HDMI to the monitor, all the rest will be component and maybe even composite, as I have way over 1000 moves of VHS and everyone gives me their now because, liking 40s film noir, I have about 7 VCRs, some unopened in the box because I want to have them as long as I live. Yet being a half-sighted old man, does not mean I would not enjoy a good big scream TV monitor.

Well the hz and 24fps are not related in general terms used by manufactures anyway. Summed up LCD is the slowest at changing a single pixel from full black to full white. They increase the panel frequency refresh rates to help with motion break up of image. Example a football thrown and see a pixel mess behind it as the pixels do not change fast enough to keep up. 60hz/120hz/240hz LCD/LED tvs is more marketing hype then anything some 120hz displays change pixels faster then some 240hz displays. Research of models is best. Some are more prone to notice then others. Plasma for example most are 600hz refresh rates and they can change pixel from full white to full black much quicker then LCD tv's and they handle sports, video games etc far better because of pixel speed not the refresh rates.

Now for 24fps, a lot of movies are filmed at 24fps or 23.976 . So you would like the tv to accept a input of that and display it in a multiple of that frequency. 24fps input to a 60hz/fps display only will have skipped/jumped frames now and then, some notice most do not. The VT50 is capable of 96fps which is 24x4, which makes for no skipped frames and smoother picture. Some call it soap opera effect, some dig it some do not but most agree is better for 3D movie enjoyment.

I happen to preffer Plasma and DLP over LCD's but LCD's are getting better.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post


Now for 24fps, a lot of movies are filmed at 24fps or 23.976 . So you would like the tv to accept a input of that and display it in a multiple of that frequency. 24fps input to a 60hz/fps display only will have skipped/jumped frames now and then, some notice most do not. The VT50 is capable of 96fps which is 24x4, which makes for no skipped frames and smoother picture. Some call it soap opera effect, some dig it some do not but most agree is better for 3D movie enjoyment.
I happen to preffer Plasma and DLP over LCD's but LCD's are getting better.

Actually, a 96Hz refresh rate allows 4:4 pulldown with 24fps sources (which is smoother than a 60Hz refresh rate with 2:3 pulldown). So, while a 96Hz refresh rate makes 24fps looker smoother than with a 60Hz refresh rate, there is no frame interpolation at work and no artificial smoothing effect added (aka no SOE).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › LED or LCD?