or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › $4000 budget
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$4000 budget - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Nop, the NR818 is 7.2 only. With NR1010 you get 9.2 and with NR3010/NR5010 you get 11.2 (11.4 according to Onkyo spec). Also, pre - out are RCA. RCA is OK if you are running less than 15 ft interconnects. To get balanced outputs (XLR) you will need to look into pre - pro options like the Integra DHC-80.3 or Onkyo PR-SC5508.
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Trouble is, there are probably proponents of 20 different vendors who would all make the same claim.

that is my point exactly. all subjective. someone was saying "don't buy polks there are all these speakers better then them "
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Another member recently bought a 5.0 KEF Q set from Vanns for $2,200 shipped: Q900 x 2 L/R, Q600 x 1 C, Q800 x 2 Surrounds.
So adding another Q800 or just get Q100 x 4 surrounds would be even cheaper (instead of Q800 surrounds).
Give Vanns a call.
If not, give Onecall & Electronics Expo a call.
Another option is the Revel Concerta line. A pair of Revel F12 shipped new is $1260. So matching center + surrounds is probably under $3K.

Yeah, I'm that member with KEF set, just finished wall-mounting Q800s and connecting the HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub, man that thing is a beast, it makes Q900s look small. The fedex driver called and sad that he will not carry that thing upstairs:). Blowing the roof off my apartment tomorrow.
But Q900s seems to be the thing I was looking for and for their price they are just awesome. They look kinda cheap but removing grills helps a lot.

I would guess $2,7k for the
2 Q900 Floorstanding speakers
2 Q800 Surround sound speakers
2 Q300 Bookshelf speakers
1 Q600 Center speaker
all new, no open boxes, free shipping, authorized dealer, the whole shabang.

then get a couple of SVSs or HSUs for 1K+ and you are set

let me know if you need help dealing with VANNS
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by yveletnik View Post

Yeah, I'm that member with KEF set, just finished wall-mounting Q800s and connecting the HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub, man that thing is a beast, it makes Q900s look small. The fedex driver called and sad that he will not carry that thing upstairs:). Blowing the roof off my apartment tomorrow.
But Q900s seems to be the thing I was looking for and for their price they are just awesome. They look kinda cheap but removing grills helps a lot.
I would guess $2,7k for the
2 Q900 Floorstanding speakers
2 Q800 Surround sound speakers
2 Q300 Bookshelf speakers
1 Q600 Center speaker
all new, no open boxes, free shipping, authorized dealer, the whole shabang.
then get a couple of SVSs or HSUs for 1K+ and you are set
let me know if you need help dealing with VANNS

Yeah, I'm trying to inform folks of your great experience, but some folks find the deal you got a little unbelievable. biggrin.gif

I guess some folks are used to paying 100% MRSP, while some of us are used to 30-50% off MSRP even from authorized dealers listed on the speaker company's website. biggrin.gif
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Yeah, I'm trying to inform folks of your great experience, but some folks find the deal you got a little unbelievable. biggrin.gif
I guess some folks are used to paying 100% MRSP, while some of us are used to 30-50% off MSRP even from authorized dealers listed on the speaker company's website. biggrin.gif

I used to think that way myself. I thought that you had to pay full MSRP for new speakers. Then I saw terrific deals at Vanns for the speakers that I had been eying for a few months. That deal was too good to pass up so I pulled the trigger and paid less than 40% of MSRP for my 7 speaker setup that I now have. Now that I've had them for several weeks, I still can't believe they were so cheap, but I'm sure glad they were!! biggrin.gif
post #36 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

Nop, the NR818 is 7.2 only. With NR1010 you get 9.2 and with NR3010/NR5010 you get 11.2 (11.4 according to Onkyo spec). Also, pre - out are RCA. RCA is OK if you are running less than 15 ft interconnects. To get balanced outputs (XLR) you will need to look into pre - pro options like the Integra DHC-80.3 or Onkyo PR-SC5508.

Not even with an external amp?
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

By all means, listening IN YOUR OWN HOME is the only real way to compare and find out which sounds the best.
Listening in stores is useless because the acoustics and the associated equipment are so different as to make that kind of listening a waste of time.
So how many people will actually go to the work of taking two or more systems home and doing a real test that is of some use?
KEF and PSB speakers have repeatedly been tested by respected reviewers and rated outstanding, and my listening concurs with theirs. They have a track record of producing outstanding speakers in this price range.
As for loving something...some guys love women I wouldn't go within 20 feet of, so there is no accounting for statements like " some people just love their $49.95 XYZ 9.2 speaker system".

This should have been your comment in Post # 17. I have PSB in one system. I have listened to MA and KEF. My main system is Klipsch KG's.
I like the Klipsch better. I could foolishly say that all but the Klipsch are a waste of money . I would then get the flames that I deserve.
If you do not think Klipsch has a track record for outstanding speakers then you need to educate yourself. OTH, Klipsch may not be your cup of tea because they do not use those tiny drivers that you like.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

This should have been your comment in Post # 17. I have PSB in one system. I have listened to MA and KEF. My main system is Klipsch KG's.
I like the Klipsch better. I could foolishly say that all but the Klipsch are a waste of money . I would then get the flames that I deserve.
If you do not think Klipsch has a track record for outstanding speakers then you need to educate yourself. OTH, Klipsch may not be your cup of tea because they do not use those tiny drivers that you like.

I think Klipsch can sound very good in some rooms and not very good in some rooms.

But historically, Klipsch speakers have not measured well compared to Revel, Infinity, JBL, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, etc.

Look at the Klipsch Palladium Measurements. Not great. Now they may sound great, but they just don't measure great. biggrin.gif
post #39 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I think Klipsch can sound very good in some rooms and not very good in some rooms.
But historically, Klipsch speakers have not measured well compared to Revel, Infinity, JBL, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, etc.
Look at the Klipsch Palladium Measurements. Not great. Now they may sound great, but they just don't measure great. biggrin.gif

Sounds almost like a Sharp Elite television. They do not measure great, but they look great. wink.gif
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I think Klipsch can sound very good in some rooms and not very good in some rooms.
But historically, Klipsch speakers have not measured well compared to Revel, Infinity, JBL, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, etc.
Look at the Klipsch Palladium Measurements. Not great. Now they may sound great, but they just don't measure great. biggrin.gif

I agree that Klipsch does not measure all that good. However, I think this discussion is more about preference than measurements. Dynaudio usually measures as good as any, however they are rarely recommended. Subjectively speaking I think PSB sounds very good but some lack in fullness, Paradigm also has a thin sound (most that I have recently listened to). Auditioned some JBL and Revel recently (as you know). Neither excited me enough to invest. I did get the Revel sub though (thanks).
My main point was that we should not be so critical of brands simply because we do not like them. I understand that you have long been a Bose fan.smile.gif
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I agree that Klipsch does not measure all that good. However, I think this discussion is more about preference than measurements. Dynaudio usually measures as good as any, however they are rarely recommended. Subjectively speaking I think PSB sounds very good but some lack in fullness, Paradigm also has a thin sound (most that I have recently listened to). Auditioned some JBL and Revel recently (as you know). Neither excited me enough to invest. I did get the Revel sub though (thanks).
My main point was that we should not be so critical of brands simply because we do not like them. I understand that you have long been a Bose fan.smile.gif

How..............dare..................you. mad.gifbiggrin.gif

Do not..............I repeat..............do not touch my Bose! mad.gifbiggrin.gif

I know what you mean. I'm guilty as anyone. Sometimes we forget that we're all simply different. We think everyone feels and hears exactly as we do. biggrin.gif

We simply forget.

I've heard the Klipsch RF-83 and liked them, although they measured +3.04/–4.40 dB on HTM.

I've owned the DefTech BP7000SC and loved their sound, even though they measured +/- 3.7dB on HTM.

I just auditioned the B&W 802D and I thought they sounded great, even though their on-axis and off-axis measurements were worse than the Infinity P362.

A lot of variables. Room. Placement. Some speakers are more affected than others.

I see a lot of guys bash Klipsch, DefTech, B&W, etc. I'm just as guilty.

Sometimes we just forget that we are all different. biggrin.gif
post #42 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I agree that Klipsch does not measure all that good. However, I think this discussion is more about preference than measurements. Dynaudio usually measures as good as any, however they are rarely recommended. Subjectively speaking I think PSB sounds very good but some lack in fullness, Paradigm also has a thin sound (most that I have recently listened to). Auditioned some JBL and Revel recently (as you know). Neither excited me enough to invest. I did get the Revel sub though (thanks).
My main point was that we should not be so critical of brands simply because we do not like them. I understand that you have long been a Bose fan.smile.gif

Is Klipsch good for strictly HT use?
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1ffb0 View Post

Is Klipsch good for strictly HT use?

Absolutely.

biggrin.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 7/31/12 at 1:46pm
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1ffb0 View Post

Is Klipsch good for strictly HT use?

Brand name does not make a speaker better for HT or music. Klipsch offers numerous series and they do not all sound the same. I use KG series and IMO they are excellent for both music and HT. This is true of a lot of Klipsch. Some are not so good with either application. Same can be said of most brands.
post #45 of 45
OPer, we need to know more information to make a determination on what would be a good recommendation for you.
What is your listening distance?
What SPL levels do you like to listen?
How much listening is HT and how much music?
Any limitations on speaker size or type?

Required SPL levels can help determine if a speaker can even be considered as an option. Let us know these answers and then we can see what speakers meet your requirements.
Reply
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › $4000 budget