or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › SONY VPL-HW50ES unveiled at IFA in september 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SONY VPL-HW50ES unveiled at IFA in september 2012 - Page 3

post #61 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

Once I have the 50 I will do a full comparison of the two, I also will have the darbee in the mix along with the lumagen mini. I will only be able to test them at their short throw though as I can't go any further than 11'7". They will be tested on a Stewart 110" 1.7 reflections screen so will be interesting to see how much brighter the 50 is vs the 30.

Please understand that you are significantly below the recommended minimum throw for that material of 1.5 times the screen width would be the minimum in popular opinion and 1.7 or 1.8 would be better. At that throw, the screen will hotspot. If you put up a white field you will see the brightness will not appear uniform with areas, especially the center, when viewed from center will look bright. You might get some sparkeling also. Its livable I would think but don't blame the lack of uniformity in brightness on either the HW30ES or the HW50ES. Its the screen material being used at too short a throw.
post #62 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Please understand that you are significantly below the recommended minimum throw for that material of 1.5 times the screen width would be the minimum in popular opinion and 1.7 or 1.8 would be better. At that throw, the screen will hotspot. If you put up a white field you will see the brightness will not appear uniform with areas, especially the center, when viewed from center will look bright. You might get some sparkeling also. Its livable I would think but don't blame the lack of uniformity in brightness on either the HW30ES or the HW50ES. Its the screen material being used at too short a throw.

No worries Mark, I have had the screen since Feb paired with the HW30 and knew I would be risking the problems you mention. Overall though I am very happy with the results, I get very minimal hot spotting which is a relief, and I havent noticed any sparklies unless it's a scene with all white and then you really need to focus on trying to spot it. So I would never blame the projector on lack of uniformity, Stewart made a great screen and it suits my needs and performs for the most part above what I expected.
post #63 of 149
I have the VPL-HW10 ceiling mounted around 16 ft from a 110 inch screen. I'm thinking of finally upgrading and concidering the VPL-HW50ES. Does anyone know if I can just switch out the old for for new without having to move the ceiling mount. I'm hoping the throw distance is the same for the VPLHW50ES.
post #64 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Wow, the Sony looks like a winner. Art isn't a Sony fanboy either. If anything he generally is very pro EPSON, and for him to straight up say that the Sony spanks my Epson 5010 is pretty awesome.
I'm still confused about this 4K processing they claim. It's nothing like the JVC that has an actual hardware element for upscale, and I think it's just clever Sony marketing to fight JVC.
I hope Sonys laser next year comes in at under 10k. That would be awesome.....

This is a straight copy n paste from Art's blog:

I got to see it side by side vs. an Epson 5010, and was really impressed. Essentially you can punch the Epson 5010′s Super-Resolution to the top setting of 5, and you get similar detail enhancement overall, but at least the 5010 is not as clean when pushed that hard. Of course I’m comparing against a last year’s model, still, it looked really good.

I can't decipher anywhere or anyhow that he said the sony spanks the 5010 so maybe you read from another source I'm not aware of And it cost about 1500 more with a msrp of 3999
post #65 of 149
I remember squeezing and very very lightly tapping a single time a yound lady's posterior.one night in bed in my single days long long long ago and remarking to her how hard and tight it was and she said I don't like you spanking me like that. smile.gif Huh. But trying to defuse things raher an argue I said sorry, roll over and I will make it up to you. A little off color and meant as a joke here. But true,nevertheless. smile.gif

Spanking is subjective and in the eyes of the beholder. Art's words are there and subject to one's own interpretation. That's what makes horse, no, projector racing.
post #66 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo9000 View Post

I have the VPL-HW10 ceiling mounted around 16 ft from a 110 inch screen. I'm thinking of finally upgrading and concidering the VPL-HW50ES. Does anyone know if I can just switch out the old for for new without having to move the ceiling mount. I'm hoping the throw distance is the same for the VPLHW50ES.
I'd guess that the throw is similar to the 30, which if my calculations are correct, for 110", you have between 11.32 and 16.76 feet, with a max of 2.92 feet up or down from center.
post #67 of 149
The throw range for the 30 and the 50 are the same.
post #68 of 149
any word on how the lamp life will be on this model?
post #69 of 149
We are hearing 3000 hours.
post #70 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

I'd guess that the throw is similar to the 30, which if my calculations are correct, for 110", you have between 11.32 and 16.76 feet, with a max of 2.92 feet up or down from center.
Thanks for the info. I look forward to reading some reviews of the 50 when it comes out.
post #71 of 149
Has anyone heard the wattage increase for the bulb? Roughly a 35% increase in lumen output compared to the 30.
post #72 of 149
"It just seems like a major step up from the HW30ES for not too bad a price difference. Better brightness, blacker blacks, 2K to 4K upscaling essentially. (Only 2K panels, but as many of you know, there are real benefits even if, of course, if a true 4K projector can do better with either 2K or 4K content. Still, their Reality engine does the trick. At this point, I’d have to say, the best use of a detail enhancement engine I’ve seen in anything under $10K. I got to see it side by side vs. an Epson 5010, and was really impressed. Essentially you can punch the Epson 5010′s Super-Resolution to the top setting of 5, and you get similar detail enhancement overall, but at least the 5010 is not as clean when pushed that hard. Of course I’m comparing against a last year’s model, still, it looked really good."

This puts the quote noted above in its proper context. The comments were about detail enhancement, not the overall quality of the image.
post #73 of 149
Art from projector reviews as received is Sony HW50 review unit smile.gif
post #74 of 149
I have been watching this thread

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php%3Ftopic%3D126277.0&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsony%2Bhw50%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26tbo%3D1%26biw%3D1133%26bih%3D881%26tbs%3Dqdr:w%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=ngVZUMSZJqWEiwKfwoCgBA&ved=0CDgQ7gEwAA


Latest Post.

"The Sony 50 is Friday arrived, due to some health problems of my wife took some time before the first tests.

Today I finally started,the first measuremnts and statuettes view are already behind us, work tomorrow and hopefully by tomorrow or at the latest Friday the full review online.

One thing i can already give, it's notjust a polished version of the 30, there is still a lot more to it then what I've seen so far makes me very happy at multiple points.

I love you still waiting, but beleave me it is a device with a lot to offer
Groeten Greet
Werner Werner
"

It's painfull waiting to hear more smile.gif
post #75 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Art from projector reviews as received is Sony HW50 review unit smile.gif

Yes - Art told me today that the HW50ES has arrived. Although he didn't mention his schedule for doing his review of the HW50ES, I assume he will have Mike calibrate the projector before he does his detailed 'eyes on' review. He may post the results from a first look in his blog before he gets to the detailed review.
post #76 of 149
Nice velvetpoet. Feeling better about my pre-order smile.gif

Keep us updated on this thread of reviews, please!
post #77 of 149
Looking forward to hearing the findings.
post #78 of 149
post #79 of 149
post #80 of 149
THanks for the link! I am still reading through the threads but it doesn't sound like it did bad at all. I'm still reading the arguements that the 3d was bad vs the fact that they didnt' have 3d on display. smile.gif
post #81 of 149
The translation is pretty poor, but my take is that the HW50 was displayed in a room with light that was hitting the screen resulting in a washed out image and shifted colors. A 3D Blu-Ray player was not used, so the Sony had to do a 2D-3D conversion. Finally, all of the settings were set to default and some of the more important functions wer 'off'. Basically the demo tells nothing at all regarding the image quality. I place absolutely no weighting on the comments in that thread with regards to making a decision between the HW50 and the JVC X35.
post #82 of 149
Wow, so was like JVC in charge of setting up that demo? wink.gif
Edited by sarangiman - 9/21/12 at 12:42am
post #83 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Art from projector reviews as received is Sony HW50 review unit smile.gif

Yes - Art told me today that the HW50ES has arrived. Although he didn't mention his schedule for doing his review of the HW50ES, I assume he will have Mike calibrate the projector before he does his detailed 'eyes on' review. He may post the results from a first look in his blog before he gets to the detailed review.

Yeah, I hope he will do a first look preview soon smile.gif
post #84 of 149
Does anyone know if this new projector will do vertical stretch for an anamorphic lens? if so does it have a button on the remote for it or is it hidden in the menu?
post #85 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post

Does anyone know if this new projector will do vertical stretch for an anamorphic lens? if so does it have a button on the remote for it or is it hidden in the menu?

Yes, It supports anamorphic stretch. Sony lists it on their website:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666490151&langId=-1&XID=O:vplhw50es:dg_gglsrch:pla&cagpspn=pla

Judging from the picture of the remote on their website, I would imagine the button that says "Wide Mode" would be able to switch between normal and stretch modes.
post #86 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post

Does anyone know if this new projector will do vertical stretch for an anamorphic lens? if so does it have a button on the remote for it or is it hidden in the menu?

Yes, It supports anamorphic stretch. Sony lists it on their website:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666490151&langId=-1&XID=O:vplhw50es:dg_gglsrch:pla&cagpspn=pla

Judging from the picture of the remote on their website, I would imagine the button that says "Wide Mode" would be able to switch between normal and stretch modes.

Thanks for the link. On that page we can see that the estimate ship date is october 1st.
post #87 of 149
So from the store website it looks like the HW30 is hanging about, but interestingly it is now just listed as the VPL-HW30ES and not the AES. It seem to be that the $2999 version may no longer include the needed hardware to do 3D out of the box. No mention of included glasses and transmitter and it crypticly states 2D to 3D conversion with optional accessories so basically if you want 3D the HW50 looks like the much better value considering the glasses, built in transmitter and not to mention the extra bulb.
post #88 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

So from the store website it looks like the HW30 is hanging about, but interestingly it is now just listed as the VPL-HW30ES and not the AES. It seem to be that the $2999 version may no longer include the needed hardware to do 3D out of the box. No mention of included glasses and transmitter and it crypticly states 2D to 3D conversion with optional accessories so basically if you want 3D the HW50 looks like the much better value considering the glasses, built in transmitter and not to mention the extra bulb.

Correct the HW30 is now an ES model (HW30ES) like the rest of the line and because it no longer has the two pair of glasses and emitter, it has a lower price.
Reply
Reply
post #89 of 149
Ok this may get a few bad responses as a newb question, but I wanted to ask to get some input from owners and those knowledgeable. Ive been looking a bit hard at the new sony 50es and I am just wondering if it would produce a picture as good as say a panasonic plasma vt50. While I want to go big; picture detail, clarity, and pop mean more than size. My room is pretty well light controlled, although it is white and no change of color is possible. I just dont want to order a pj, and be like dam, the picture on my tv is way better. all help and advice is welcome, plus suggestions on a screen-im looking in the neighborhood of around 90 inches.
thanks
all
post #90 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerlin1 View Post

Ok this may get a few bad responses as a newb question, but I wanted to ask to get some input from owners and those knowledgeable. Ive been looking a bit hard at the new sony 50es and I am just wondering if it would produce a picture as good as say a panasonic plasma vt50. While I want to go big; picture detail, clarity, and pop mean more than size. My room is pretty well light controlled, although it is white and no change of color is possible. I just dont want to order a pj, and be like dam, the picture on my tv is way better. all help and advice is welcome, plus suggestions on a screen-im looking in the neighborhood of around 90 inches.
thanks
all

If you have a Magnolia in your Best Buy you should be able to view a sony HW30 which would give you a decent idea of what to expect. My friend had an Epson 1080UB years ago while I was viewing a Pioneer Kuro 6020 plasma. His Epson impressed me with a projector but it wasn't enough to sway me from the plasma look. Ansi contrast is great on the better plasmas but a good projector can still be quite as impressive. Probably not as good as a good plasma, but considering the screen size difference it makes for a huge impact with movies. I can tell you that on the darkest scenes that my JVC RS45 had better black levels than my Pioneer Kuro did (not sure if the best Panasonic plasmas have matched the Kuro yet) but on mixed content and black bars and such the Ansi contrast of a plasma will give it a more punchy picture. If you get a Dalite high power screen it will make the picture look much brighter and the picture will have more of a plasma look to it. But you'll need to do some research on the setup (the projector needs to be shelf mounted closer to eye level to make the picture brighter).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › SONY VPL-HW50ES unveiled at IFA in september 2012