or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Great Found Deals › Best Buy's Return Warning, It could happen to you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Buy's Return Warning, It could happen to you. - Page 3  

post #61 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

You are misunderstanding me. They don't employ all local, but they do employ local people. I know several of my kids friends who work there, and many others from the town. That "wage" money IS local and is spent locally. This is more important than where any of the "profits" end up. Cash flow through the town. You don't understand this? take econ 101
-I also don't care if working there is pleasurable, it's a job, it's a job that anyone can get, if you don't like it, get another one.
-Having a big box retail store there helps the tax base, which is good for everyone in the town. In our town it makes a HUGE difference.
-They also help the local school district.
-They typically do not price match internet. However, I got my LG tv price matched with amazon at the time and my denon avr with crutchfield. Yeah, I know their policy, but sometimes they use common sense.
-I don't care if their return policy is similar to Amazon's on paper or not, It works just the same for me. Never a problem, just the way i like it.
A lot of your post sounds like an employee scorned, or a big box employee that's not happy with their current situation.
If you can't understand the importance of brick and mortar to the town and the people, well, I can't help you with that, you'll need to go back to college, this is basic economics. And I will not even get into the ignorant comment.

What I have found in America and perhaps world wide, is if people start thinking like this then they just get abused. Which is exactly what best buy does. Remember it was best buy that killed all the local HT / TV / electronic shops, replaced their sometimes very knowledgeable staff with teens who know little more than Walmart employees and when all that was happening BB tried to claim it wasn't going to be that bad. My how the tables have turned and now BB is the one trying to survive and crying about local jobs. Fact is though it does not matter. A lot of people said the same thing about the Auto industry after which the big 3 became so used to people just buying American no matter what to support the local economy they started producing junk to pad their pockets, and outsourced half the jobs to Mexico and Canada (no offense Canadians but you're not local). meanwhile the foreign auto makers started producing more in the USA. Eventually it all falls apart.

So the point is simple, buy where you get what you want. Now you may enjoy closer service, you may be willing to pay extra to see it and take it home right away. But don't support a rotten horrible company with some of the more deceptive practices, just because they are local. The local guy needs to get out and compete just like everyone else. Everything BB did to kill its competition is now being done to BB, and BB is just too lame to do anything but cry about it. I don't feel one bit sorry for them or their store managers who force horrible deceptive practices on their employees and prey on customers with little knowledge.
post #62 of 253
I can tell you that since best buy handed me the 90 day warning I have not gone to BB or visited there website. I really don't need anything BB sells at this time, but they did lose the possibility something would catch my interest and I just might of spent some money at BB.
post #63 of 253
The company they employ to do returns tracking relies very heavily on the ID in order to enforce this "ban", and they accept NUMEROUS forms of ID. One post on another forum even said they'll take a library card with a photo and a numerical identifier (and presumably mag-strip).

There are a ton more threads about this popping up all over the place but as of yet, I haven't seen anyone try to circumvent it once they have the warning. So the question is this, if instead of showing your DL you show say, a state ID with a different ID number, will it circumvent their draconian block on returns? There are plenty of us who are not attempting fraud and just do higher than average returns for any number of reasons, including price matching.
post #64 of 253
I bought a high end receiver used it for 29 days and took it back no problem. They did ask for ID, but I wouldn't expect them not to really. Also, I was going to keep the receiver but I actually didn't like some aspects of it and 30 day window allowed me to find out if I liked it or not. they also did no't mention anything to me about I can 't return any more items.
post #65 of 253
Amazon laughs at you Best Buy


Facepalm.....
post #66 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Wow nothing like this has happened to me at Best Buy, and I am a ruthless returner. I've been known to make 3-4 exchanges for a single purchase on items like speakers, cameras and video game gear. I've got my 'silver rewards' which lengthens the return period, too. I suppose I would never return a small item like a Blu-ray because of a crack in the case - but that's mostly because I value my own time and there's no way an exercise like that is even worth it.
Anyhow it's not as if Best Buy just cuts you off. You get a warning. If I got a warning, I'd stop shopping there altogether, simple as that. Until that day, if Best Buy wants my business, they will have to keep accepting returns. On the flip side a huge amount of what I buy from Best Buy is open-box anyhow... that's where you find the best deals and open-box items can be returned or exchanged at will. Sometimes I'll find an open-box/shelf-display/clearance TV or Camera that is so steeply discounted I get tempted to buy just so I can flip it on eBay for a profit.
^^^^^^
Not true, BestBuy can cut you off and you get stuck with defective goods. Picture this, you buy a bluray player at BestBuy and it turn out to be defective, you go back and exchange it for another and at that time when Bestbuy prints out your exhange receipt of the exchange they also hand you the warning that states NO returns, No exhanges for 90 days, you are now stuck with it, good or bad.. Just think about this for the next black friday when many of us will grab up all the great deals and than think about if we want to keep them or just return them... you buy 6 sale items and turn one and get the warning you are now stuck with the other items as you have no return or exhange privileges at bestbuy for the next 90 days.. Even the store manager can not override this warning due to the way its implemented and put into force...

and you wonder why they implemented onerous return policies.... rolleyes.gif
post #67 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

and you wonder why they implemented onerous return policies.... rolleyes.gif

Thank you.

And to the OP complaining about a cracked blu-ray case, that's like returning a box of Ritz because the box was dented.

I live in Minnesota, where Best Buy is located, and I have about 6 Best Buys that are near me that I got to frequently. Never been denied a return, even without a receipt on one occasion. While I prefer Amazon for convenience and tax purposes, I still go to a Best Buy about once a week. My worst experience over the past 15 years is them not being able to find something that was supposed to be in stock. BOO-HOO!
post #68 of 253
I've never had any issue returning items at BB, but I don't shop there much anymore, since they refused to honor the extended warranty I purchased on a digital camera.
post #69 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post

Amazon laughs at you Best Buy
Facepalm.....

Amazon is no better.

http://www.myce.com/news/amazon-wipes-kindle-closes-account-doesnt-tell-why-they-can-do-that-64434/

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=182510
post #70 of 253
So to update my previous post. It seems the counter employees are being given a little working room on this. When I mentioned that I didn't bring in my DL for a small test item I attempted to return, the associate said he would just over-ride it and could take a look anything with my picture and name on it. I had a corporate badge that worked and the return was processed without issue.

It could be that they are given authority below a certain amount, however, as this was an inexpensive item. I'll have to wait til I actually have something of genuine value to see how this works in that case.
post #71 of 253

Amazon has been very good to me....


Cross shipping for defective product...large ticket items ( canon 5dMK II )
Immediate refunds before the product is back to them
UPS pickup,, return shipping paid for
Immediate calls when I need to speak with them
Follow up at me convenience
Upgraded shipping at no cost when it's their fault

If you read beyond the first page of both of those articles cases are made for exceptional behavior / abuse. ( the guy was returning a case of BuRays a month for small scratches in the cases)

I am sorry to disagree they are actually not even in he same league....


Double Facepalm
post #72 of 253
I like Best Buy and believe that competition is good. However I think that BBY is circling the drain. Just look at their stock price which is $15.15 now and was around $50. I think they are suffering from poor management and an unsustainable business plan. Brick and mortars have expenses that make it difficult to compete with an AMAZON. I think a generous return policy instills loyalty but also is subject to abuse. Being a jerk to your customers probably has more impact on your survival than keeping a lid on losses from too many returns.
post #73 of 253
I think one of BB big cause for loss is the return of the product that is not resaleable at a good price but must be marked down to a loss. I've seen people return stuff that looked like crap after they used it.
post #74 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughman View Post

Being a jerk to your customers probably has more impact on your survival than keeping a lid on losses from too many returns.
The more they tighten their grip, the more customers will slip through their fingers.
post #75 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

Employ locally yes, but the money is going to corporate, not your local area, like a small locally owned shop.

Yes and no. The store does pay taxes in the state and all those employed pay taxes as well as spend much of their money in the state they are employed so some of the money does go back into the local economy.
post #76 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

^^^^^^
Not true, BestBuy can cut you off and you get stuck with defective goods. Picture this, you buy a bluray player at BestBuy and it turn out to be defective, you go back and exchange it for another and at that time when Bestbuy prints out your exhange receipt of the exchange they also hand you the warning that states NO returns, No exhanges for 90 days, you are now stuck with it, good or bad.. Just think about this for the next black friday when many of us will grab up all the great deals and than think about if we want to keep them or just return them... If you buy 6 sale items and turn one and get the warning you are now stuck with the other items as you have no return or exhange privileges at bestbuy for the next 90 days.. Even the store manager can not override this warning due to the way its implemented and put into force...

You don't get stuck with anything. You still have a warranty if the product craps out and you just need to either take it into a service center or for large items the service center will come to the home and repair it. The only thing they are denying is the exchange opportunity at the store.
post #77 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

You don't even have to do a retun to get this notice. They count price matches as returns as well so if you do several price matches you can be cut off from returns or exchanges. I'm strictly Amazon now!

Where did you read that one?
post #78 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

You don't get stuck with anything. You still have a warranty if the product craps out and you just need to either take it into a service center or for large items the service center will come to the home and repair it. The only thing they are denying is the exchange opportunity at the store.

It was one of the few remaining benefits of buying at a b&m. Now I need to worry about being "marked" for 90 days and loose the privilege of a store return policy because I was marked for some reason? No thanks.
post #79 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

It was one of the few remaining benefits of buying at a b&m. Now I need to worry about being "marked" for 90 days and loose the privilege of a store return policy because I was marked for some reason? No thanks.

Sometimes benefits are lost due to over use or in some cases abuse. It also appears that the targets are those that constantly return items as several posters have already attested that they have returned an item and no flag was put on their receipt. I guess we will just have to see how this plays out and what legal ramifications they have when they clearly have a 30 day return policy. Someone will fight it.smile.gif
post #80 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Sometimes benefits are lost due to over use or in some cases abuse. It also appears that the targets are those that constantly return items as several posters have already attested that they have returned an item and no flag was put on their receipt. I guess we will just have to see how this plays out and what legal ramifications they have when they clearly have a 30 day return policy. Someone will fight it.smile.gif

I can understand the issue with abuse but if they are wrapping in price matching into this policy, I don't think that is reasonable at all. Although no one has confirmed that.
post #81 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I can understand the issue with abuse but if they are wrapping in price matching into this policy, I don't think that is reasonable at all. Although no one has confirmed that.


I agree with that and like you said it really hasn't been confirmed. Also seems there are more people that have had no issues than those with the 90 day warning and it would be interesting to know the track record of those that have received the warning. I have read where people have intentionally purchased 2 or 4 televisions at the same time so that they can take them home and compare them in house for the 30 days knowing full well they will be returning all but one (and even all of them in some cases). That's abuse in my book and in the end costs us all money.
post #82 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

I agree with that and like you said it really hasn't been confirmed. Also seems there are more people that have had no issues than those with the 90 day warning and it would be interesting to know the track record of those that have received the warning. I have read where people have intentionally purchased 2 or 4 televisions at the same time so that they can take them home and compare them in house for the 30 days knowing full well they will be returning all but one (and even all of them in some cases). That's abuse in my book and in the end costs us all money.
Most people don't post all or any of their bad experiences in the AVS forum. You have to google it and you will find the BBY problem is very real... BBY has hired a 3rd party just to track it for them, this is not for just a handful of customers. BBY is testing how far they can screw with the customers,, sure if they have the best price is may just be worth the risks of having to deal with best buy..
Edited by joehonest - 11/21/12 at 1:32am
post #83 of 253
I can see getting this warning and not being able to return any purchases made AFTER you receive the warning. The receipt seems to indicate you cannot return ANY purchase, even if you made it a week before you received the warning.

I fail to see how BB can modify terms of return after the fact. When you purchased the item you had a contract with the store, including the return policy. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think they can modify that after-the-fact.

States also have laws regarding the posting of return policies: New York Law.

Frankly, I think if you reported this to your Attorney General BB would not fare well. The AG works for the people of the state, not some corporate chain.

Tim
Code:
§  218-a.  Disclosure  of  refund policies. 1. Every retail mercantile
  establishment shall conspicuously post, in  the  following  manner,  its
  refund  policy  as  to  all  goods,  wares or merchandise offered to the
  public for sale:
    (a) on a sign attached to the item itself; or
    (b) on a sign affixed to each cash register or point of sale; or
    (c) on a sign so situated as to be clearly visible to the  buyer  from
  the cash register; or
    (d) on a sign posted at each store entrance used by the public.
    2.  The sign, required by subdivision one of this section to be posted
  in every retail mercantile establishment, shall (a) state whether or not
  it is the policy of such establishment to give refunds and, if so, under
  what conditions, including but not limited to whether a refund  will  be
  given:
    (i)  on merchandise which had been advertised as "sale" merchandise or
  marked "as is;"
    (ii) on merchandise for which no proof of purchase exists;
    (iii) at any time or not beyond a point in time specified;
    (iv) in cash, or as credit or store credit only; or
    (v) subject to any fees, including a restocking fee, and the dollar or
  percentage amount of each fee; and
    (b) advise consumers that they are entitled to a written copy  of  the
  store's refund policy upon request.
    3. Enforcement. Any retail mercantile establishment which violates any
  provision  of this section shall be liable, for a period of up to thirty
  days from the date of purchase, to the buyer for  a  cash  refund  or  a
  credit,  at  the  buyer's  option, provided that the merchandise has not
  been used or damaged by the buyer and the buyer can verify the  date  of
  the  purchase  with  a receipt or any other purchase verification method
  utilized by the retail merchant.
    4. Preemption.  This  section  does  not  relieve  any  person,  firm,
  corporation  or  association  subject  to the provisions of this section
  from complying with any  law,  ordinance,  rule  or  regulation  of  any
  locality  relating  to  the posting of refund policies which affords the
  buyer greater protection than do the provisions of this section.

edit: I would also propose that a receipt is NOT a "sign"
post #84 of 253
If it's not against their policy, why is it abuse? If Best Buy wants to, they levy a 15% restocking fee on opened merchandise, then they sell the open box goods for a 10% discount. I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. If Best Buy is failing to assess the restock/open box fee, that's their problem. Perhaps if the salespeople were more knowledgeable they wouldn't have so many 'take-home trials'. Who's side are you on?

I have a funny feeling that many of these warnings occur when merchandise that is somehow covered by copyright law is returned - hence the cracked blu-ray cover gets flagged. I'd say I only keep about 1/2 of what I buy there, never had an issue. The notion of feeling guilty about returning something I wanted to compare in my home, as opposed to in the store - something I'm going to live with and look at or listen to every day for years - If it costs everyone a few pennies extra so what? You want a stringent return policy in return for the bottom-dollar prices, order from B&H photo! The extended warranties are what really cost people - I mean suckers.

On top of all that, half of what I do end up buying/keeping is open box merchandise... especially big-ticket items like a TV or speakers... so I directly benefit from other people doing the at-home comparison thing. I really wouldn;t want that to go away. Open Box is one of the few reasons I go into a Best Buy in the first place.

There is a clear risk in stocking up on holiday gifts from best Buy due to this policy, no doubt about it,,, but not enough to stop be from going there in search of a bargain of the open-box variety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

I agree with that and like you said it really hasn't been confirmed. Also seems there are more people that have had no issues than those with the 90 day warning and it would be interesting to know the track record of those that have received the warning. I have read where people have intentionally purchased 2 or 4 televisions at the same time so that they can take them home and compare them in house for the 30 days knowing full well they will be returning all but one (and even all of them in some cases). That's abuse in my book and in the end costs us all money.

Edited by imagic - 11/23/12 at 8:40am
post #85 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Most people don't post all or any of their bad experiences in the AVS forum. You have to google it and you will find the BBY problem is very real... BBY has hired a 3rd party just to track it for them, this is not for just a handful of customers. BBY is testing how far they can screw with the customers,, sure if they have the best price is may just be worth the risks of having to deal with best buy..

Actually more people will post bad experiences than good experiences but not sure what that had to do with the post that you responded to of mine. smile.gif
post #86 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Actually more people will post bad experiences than good experiences but not sure what that had to do with the post that you responded to of mine. smile.gif

Yes I believe that tobe true, it is very likely most will post the bad and not the good experiences, the point being ( and to your post ) that the posts good or bad will not all end up on AVS, as it is not the center of the internet, sorry to say.
post #87 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Yes I believe that tobe true, it is very likely most will post the bad and not the good experiences, the point being ( and to your post ) that the posts good or bad will not all end up on AVS, as it is not the center of the internet, sorry to say.

Never said it was. smile.gif

I'm still curious as to how you think people will get stuck with defective items when they have a warranty for the product?
post #88 of 253
Well I'm glad I do most my shopping through Amazon. Driving to a store to actually get stuff just seems so....10 years ago. I'm definitely not going out of my way to shop at a BB just to support local business. Most people working at Best Buy are part time minimum wage earners. The only people making a living wage that support families at Best Buy are a handful of managers. The rest is just kids working for beer and weed money. Also, their employees are lazy not knowledgeable. Not that I'm above them or anything, we've all put in our time at crap retail jobs. But these are not the kinds of jobs our economy needs. No skill skill low wage jobs don't add a whole lot to the economy. I want to support companies that actually pay their employees well. I don't want to buy pizzas from a company that complains it can't afford to give its employees health care while they hire Peyton Manning to give away 2 million free pizzas. Funny how someone mentioned it's basic economics. As someone with an economics degree here is some more basics. I vote with my wallet and shop at competitors because I don't really like Best Buy as a corporation. Competition makes a company adapt or die. Neither of which is really a bad thing. I hardly ever return things but I have zero desire to support this retail equation thing from a company that treats its customers about as well as its employees.
post #89 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Never said it was. smile.gif
I'm still curious as to how you think people will get stuck with defective items when they have a warranty for the product?

If you just got the thing and it doesn't work or damaged you just couldn't get it simply replaced at the store you would than need to deal with the manufacturers srevice. Thats if you have gotten the 90 ban less the 61 days betore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOETSI View Post

Well I'm glad I do most my shopping through Amazon. Driving to a store to actually get stuff just seems so....10 years ago. I'm definitely not going out of my way to shop at a BB just to support local business. Most people working at Best Buy are part time minimum wage earners. The only people making a living wage that support families at Best Buy are a handful of managers. The rest is just kids working for beer and weed money. Also, their employees are lazy not knowledgeable. Not that I'm above them or anything, we've all put in our time at crap retail jobs. But these are not the kinds of jobs our economy needs. No skill skill low wage jobs don't add a whole lot to the economy. I want to support companies that actually pay their employees well. I don't want to buy pizzas from a company that complains it can't afford to give its employees health care while they hire Peyton Manning to give away 2 million free pizzas. Funny how someone mentioned it's basic economics. As someone with an economics degree here is some more basics. I vote with my wallet and shop at competitors because I don't really like Best Buy as a corporation. Competition makes a company adapt or die. Neither of which is really a bad thing. I hardly ever return things but I have zero desire to support this retail equation thing from a company that treats its customers about as well as its employees.

Well it is good in a way that BB does give jobs to kids, not all are cut out to be a mba, if they didn't have a job they just might be breaking into your car and home, Its better that they just steal from BB..
post #90 of 253
If BB went out of business these kids would find something else to do. I doubt the crime rate increased when Circuit City went out of business. I'm not going to support a business I don't like just because they have a store in my town. Besides I live in CA so I have to pay taxes now anyway that help support and fund my local community. I'm sure Amazon employs thousands of people themselves, directly and indirectly. I want to support businesses with a good business model that doesn't treat me like crap. If BB paid its employees better and they were actually helpful and knowledgeable I'd gladly pay a few bucks for their products over ordering at Amazon, but they aren't. Not to be sexist, but when you go to BB and see some cute 20 year old girl they got working there the odds are pretty good she isn't some AVS enthusiast with 3000 posts that's going to help you out. The eye candy is nice but it won't be helping you make an informed purchase. Not that the dudebros working there are usually any better.

But hey if you want support a company that acts the way BB does simply because they happen to be within your city limits and it makes you feel good to be giving these kids a job, that's your right. I'm pretty sure my town won't turn into Detroit if and when BB closes its doors. Also, if supporting your local community is that important, how far do you go? If you don't change any of your other buying behaviors other than you pick up your receiver and blu rays and the local BB, you're not really making a difference.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Great Found Deals
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Great Found Deals › Best Buy's Return Warning, It could happen to you.