or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Polk Audio R50 Floor Standing speakers. Good deal??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Polk Audio R50 Floor Standing speakers. Good deal??

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Is this a good deal for these speakers?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/polk-audio-polk-audio-floor-standing-speaker-r50-single-r50/10085189.aspx?path=2a1e9bc395c8f630d0f9bde02dc4340aen02

Or these??

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Pair-New-Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-RTIA1-W0QQAdIdZ394023819
post #2 of 16
Thread Starter 
Anyone??

Also I looked into these (5 speakers) and I was told I could get a deal on them of $125. How about these?

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Panasonic-Bookshelf-Speakers-SB-AFC280-W0QQAdIdZ396285379

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Panasonic-Center-Channel-Speaker-SB-AFC280-W0QQAdIdZ396285459
post #3 of 16
Skip the Panasonic
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
post #5 of 16

I'd say the R50 is the best deal.

If you're on a tight budget, the Precision set could work.

Unless you're looking for a 5.1 alarm clock, as suggested, skip the Panasonic.
post #6 of 16
post #7 of 16
These are better than the R50's and on sale for $99 each right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290207 I know because I own and use both in two different systems in my home. The Monitor 60's are larger and have three midbass drivers instead of two.
Panny speakers should not exist, they should stick to TV's and DVD players.
Pat
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

These are better than the R50's and on sale for $99 each right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290207 I know because I own and use both in two different systems in my home. The Monitor 60's are larger and have three midbass drivers instead of two.
Panny speakers should not exist, they should stick to TV's and DVD players.
Pat

Well those Polk's come up at $150 each when I click on the link. In any event my room is only about 12ft x 20ft so it's not big. I don't need to explode the walls. LOL The Precision is $130/pair. Far better for my budget as opposed to $150/each. I hear Polk is really good and I'd love to get some but it may not be feasible for me.

Two sets of these would be far more within my budget. I'd just need to add a centre and sub.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/precision-acoustics-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-hd4-pair/10101488.aspx?path=37041f1ab5aae217f8cc542388094df7en02

Edit: I had the Panasonic set mentioned above in black previously and they sounded fine to me but then again I'm no audiophile.

Edit 2: How about this Polk set. I originally wanted this but it's almost $600 at Future Shop. It's only $200 on NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066
Edited by Canuck31 - 7/16/12 at 8:49pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

Well those Polk's come up at $150 each when I click on the link. In any event my room is only about 12ft x 20ft so it's not big. I don't need to explode the walls. LOL The Precision is $130/pair. Far better for my budget as opposed to $150/each. I hear Polk is really good and I'd love to get some but it may not be feasible for me.
.
Edit 2: How about this Polk set. I originally wanted this but it's almost $600 at Future Shop. It's only $200 on NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066

If you live in Canada - you need to go to, the Newegg Canada site.

The Polk towers have sold out.

I would aim higher than the small sat speakers.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Polk towers have sold out.
I would aim higher than the small sat speakers.

Well it doesn't matter. NewEgg ".com" does not ship to Canada it seems and their ".ca" site list all their Polk Audio products as "currently unavailable".

Well my dad has the Bose 5.1 speaker package which he has had for years and they are small "sat" speakers and they sound amazing. Bigger doesn't always mean better. Plus like I said I don't have a big room.
post #11 of 16
If you think the Bose sound amazing you should hear some other satellite speakers...
post #12 of 16
Wow, people are still selling them? I remember when we got a pair for $100 it was deemed the deal of the century at the time tongue.gif I would just look at the Monitor 50s with a sub, or the Pioneer line.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Wow, people are still selling them? I remember when we got a pair for $100 it was deemed the deal of the century at the time tongue.gif I would just look at the Monitor 50s with a sub, or the Pioneer line.

Which speakers are you talking about that you got a pair for $100? I think the Precision Acoustics would be good enough for me. If I rounded up a five speaker set of four "bookshelf" speakers and a centre channel it would do me just fine. Just add a Sub and I'm good to go.
post #14 of 16
Too bad you can't get the Polks in CA. I didn't know that.
post #15 of 16
that is a pretty good price for the R50s.
post #16 of 16
You bought floorstanding R50s for $150 each? I guess they are new. I have someone on craigslist trying to buy my used ones (cherry finish) for $80 as a set. I feel that's a huge ripoff...was looking to sell the pair for closer to $150 used.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Polk Audio R50 Floor Standing speakers. Good deal??