or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Mede8er X3D (1000 | 800 | 600) Streamer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Mede8er X3D (1000 | 800 | 600) Streamer Thread - Page 23

post #661 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by feadin View Post

Thanks canton160 and dbone1026, my 25fps videos now play fine with auto frame rate at off. Although now I watched a 23.976fps video and for the first time noticed what seemed like the reported frame skip. By the way, I also disabled 1080p 24Hz, since I'm not sure I like the look and feel of 24p, will have to do further tests...

leave 1080p 24Hz on, otherwise your 24p movies will play at 60hz
post #662 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

leave 1080p 24Hz on, otherwise your 24p movies will play at 60hz

Thanks for the tip. I'll guess I'll try it, but I'm not used to the "look and feel" of the movie. My previous media player did not support 24p, so I'm not used to the real 24p look on my Panasonic plasma (which plays at 60hz, as at 48hz, there is flickering). With the 24p function at "on", there is a slight soap opera effect, or maybe just a more "realistic" motion flow which I am not used to...
post #663 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeav View Post

.
One solution I had was to switch HDMI Audio setting to decode to multi-channel PCM, that fixed the audio garble even without the 32k fix.

But then you are only getting the core DTS, unless the 1000X3D is decoding audio.. if so sign me up to buy two.
post #664 of 1302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeav View Post

One solution I had was to switch HDMI Audio setting to decode to multi-channel PCM, that fixed the audio garble even without the 32k fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

But then you are only getting the core DTS, unless the 1000X3D is decoding audio.. if so sign me up to buy two.

Keep in mind though that the X3D does not downmix HD Audio over HDMI to multi channel PCM, but only decodes down to 2ch Stereo (so not optimal unless you are connecting directly to a TV).
post #665 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

But then you are only getting the core DTS, unless the 1000X3D is decoding audio.. if so sign me up to buy two.

If its decoding then why not decode DTS HD itself? Not sure about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Keep in mind though that the X3D does not downmix HD Audio over HDMI to multi channel PCM, but only decodes down to 2ch Stereo (so not optimal unless you are connecting directly to a TV).

Are you sure abiut this? It's says decode to multi channel PCM, so that should mean more than 2ch stereo. And I think the reciever was showing multi channel audio when I tried last.
post #666 of 1302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeav View Post

If its decoding then why not decode DTS HD itself? Not sure about this.
Are you sure abiut this? It's says decode to multi channel PCM, so that should mean more than 2ch stereo. And I think the reciever was showing multi channel audio when I tried last.

I checked with my AVR when I did my review and I was only getting 2ch. With HDMI the only way I got multi channel PCM was if the original source was FLAC or PCM. More media players are doing this (my guess to avoid the licensing costs associated with decoded to multi ch PCM)
post #667 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeav View Post

If its decoding then why not decode DTS HD itself? Not sure about this.
Are you sure abiut this? It's says decode to multi channel PCM, so that should mean more than 2ch stereo. And I think the reciever was showing multi channel audio when I tried last.

Very few if any streamers decode the HD audio codecs to multi-channel (5.1 or 7.1). The Dunes used to but apparently they no longer do with recent firmware. I believe it is because as Damian says due to licensing. These streamers kind of live on the fringes and if Hollywood had their way they would be non existent.
post #668 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I checked with my AVR when I did my review and I was only getting 2ch. With HDMI the only way I got multi channel PCM was if the original source was FLAC or PCM. More media players are doing this (my guess to avoid the licensing costs associated with decoded to multi ch PCM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Very few if any streamers decode the HD audio codecs to multi-channel (5.1 or 7.1). The Dunes used to but apparently they no longer do with recent firmware. I believe it is because as Damian says due to licensing. These streamers kind of live on the fringes and if Hollywood had their way they would be non existent.

You guys are right. It's down mixing to 2ch.

This not good. The menu for HDMI output clearly has four options - Auto, Bitstream, Downmix to 2ch and Decode to multi channel PCM. And the last two options are out putting 2ch always. Hope this fixed as a bug.

And now I also seem to have lost 24p output...
post #669 of 1302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeav View Post

You guys are right. It's down mixing to 2ch.
This not good. The menu for HDMI output clearly has four options - Auto, Bitstream, Downmix to 2ch and Decode to multi channel PCM. And the last two options are out putting 2ch always. Hope this fixed as a bug.
..

It is not a bug, it is a licensing issue and most likely will not change.

I think if you are using optical it would possibly output as multi ch pcm (not sure since I don't use)?
post #670 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

It is not a bug, it is a licensing issue and most likely will not change.
I think if you are using optical it would possibly output as multi ch pcm (not sure since I don't use)?

He's right though - why is "decode to multi-channel PCM" an option if it can't decode to multi-channel PCM? It might not be a bug, but then it shouldn't be an option if we're led to believe it can decode to multi-channel PCM when it can't.
post #671 of 1302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

He's right though - why is "decode to multi-channel PCM" an option if it can't decode to multi-channel PCM? It might not be a bug, but then it shouldn't be an option if we're led to believe it can decode to multi-channel PCM when it can't.

Not sure where something like FLAC or uncompressed PCM would fall in the settings though, since those can be decoded to multi channel PCM (sorry, at work so can't see the settings). Or I guess it is not really decoding but instead pass thru, but if I remember with the decode option the FLAC/PCM gets passed thru. Agreed though, some cleanup should be done to more clearly state what the options are
post #672 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mede8er1 View Post

eagle_2
I have asked our engineers to check if they can add a XY Pixel Offset to V2 code. I invite you to join our X3D V2 Beta test group and then we can can get your feedback to see if this adjustment solves your problems.
Mede8er1

What I don't understand about this off-center issue is why is this a problem at all for these 1186 players? Why can my WDTV Live, Panasonic blu-ray player, and the tv itself all output perfectly-centered video with no adjustments at all required, yet these 1186 players seem incapable of outputting a entered video, even when adjusted in the video menu? These makers need to understand that if they want to talk about supporting sbs video - they need to be able to do something as basic as centering the video properly. This shouldn't even be an issue.

I can have the player send the sbs videos over as frame-packed, and then it's not an issue, but no matter what I play, it will be sent over as 24fps. I have many 25fps and 50fps and 60fps sbs files, encoded from a variety of sources, and they should be played at 60Hz to look right, not 24Hz. Due to the limitation of frame-packed over HDMI, it can only be sent out as 24Hz max. And then there's the issue of the 23.976 framerate bug in 3D also. So for side-by-side I much prefer playing it as a simple 2D file, and letting my tv detect the sbs format and switch over to 3D. It works perfectly fine with all my other players, but not these 1186 players.
post #673 of 1302
So, do I understand the last few comments correctly in that:
the MED100X3D does not do output multichannel audio via HDMI?

e.g. if I have an HDMI cable from the X3D to my receiver, then then to my TV, all my glorious DTS BluRay movies are going to be downgraded to stereo sound?
post #674 of 1302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwolf_ia View Post

So, do I understand the last few comments correctly in that:
the MED100X3D does not do output multichannel audio via HDMI?
e.g. if I have an HDMI cable from the X3D to my receiver, then then to my TV, all my glorious DTS BluRay movies are going to be downgraded to stereo sound?

Nope, I think you missed it. You basically have 2 options. The first would be to pass thru the HD Audio untouched to your AVR. The problem would be if you have an AVR that does not support HD Audio. In a case like this you would set the Mede8er to downmix or decode to PCM, but in both cases you will only get 2ch Stereo from your DTSHD or TrueHD audio track. Assuming your AVR supports HD Audio though you just set to pass thru and get the untouched audio track sent through
post #675 of 1302
post #676 of 1302
Is there a way to reset the positioning of the video image when you adjust it in the video options? I see no way to reset the centering. I tried to do a "reset defaults" but it asks for a password - is there a default password?
post #677 of 1302
eagle_2

Default Password '0000'

Seems very few are prepared to read the User Manuals

Mede8er1
post #678 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mede8er1 View Post

eagle_2
Default Password '0000'
Seems very few are prepared to read the User Manuals
Mede8er1

Thanks, that's a rather unfair comment though. I always make the effort to read the manual. However, I just got this set up 2 days ago, and after spending months and months with the Micca, I'm pretty familiar with how these work. Enough to start playing around a bit with it. I was indeed planning on reading the manual. wink.gif
post #679 of 1302
I have to say that I'm disappointed in the range of the remote. I placed it on the top inner shelf of my entertainment center, behind glass doors, just like my old player. It was impossible for the player to get the remote signal unless I held the remote high up in the air and pointed it at just the right angle. I moved the player to the very top of the stand, on the outside, right in front of the tv, so the player is now directly in front of me - literally like 9-10 feet away directly in front of me. It still doesn't receive commands from the remote unless I'm pointing it precisely at the right angle - even though it looks like it's pointed right at it, it doesn't get the signal. I swapped out the batteries with a brand new set of alkalines, and it's no better. Every other button press is lost, because it doesn't get the signal. Sometimes, it gets the signal twice it seems because it skips one or two lines up at a time if I'm trying to scroll though a list or the menu, like I pressed the button repeatedly, even though I only pressed it once. I did read in the manual that the player has a design that requires a certain placement for the angle to bounce the signal, but really - the remote is pointed directly at the player and it just ignores the signal unless I raise my arm and angle my remote just right. I have about a 1 -2 degree angle that works, and if I move my wrist even slightly up or down, it doesn't get the signal, even though the remote is still aimed right in the direction of the player.

Do others with this player have this difficulty? All my other remotes work with absolutely no issue - my AVR, my tv, blu-ray player, DVD player, WDTV Live - all have no issues picking up my remote signals each and every time.
post #680 of 1302
eagle_2

That statement was not only directed at you and I am sorry that it was placed in a reply to your post.

BUT - We offer support to our users and we delighted to do this as its our passion and we want users to get the most out of their Mede8er's. We are just finding so many posts about simple setup things that are covered in the User Manuals. So pls dont take this personally and keep asking as we are here to help but read the manuals - the unit has a hard copy and the latest versions are available for download from our website or the Mede8erforum.com

Mede8er1
post #681 of 1302
Quote:
I have to say that I'm disappointed in the range of the remote

As you pointed out this is covered in the user manual. Seems the best option for you will be to install an external IR.

Mede8er1
post #682 of 1302
I reset the defaults, and went into the video settings again and into "screen size" to check how it is centered by default - it's definitely not centered - the red line is not visible on the right side and the bottom. This shouldn't be the case. I also looked at the AVS overscan video again to double-check, and the top and right sides are cropped off. This just shouldn't be happening. All my other midia players center the video perfectly by default, so there's something about these 1186 players that can't align the video output correctly.

My Samsung tv is set to "screen fit" which means 1:1 pixel mapping - the overscan tests for all my other media players are perfect. So right now I definitely can't use this player for paying my SBS 3D videos.
post #683 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mede8er1 View Post

eagle_2
That statement was not only directed at you and I am sorry that it was placed in a reply to your post.
BUT - We offer support to our users and we delighted to do this as its our passion and we want users to get the most out of their Mede8er's. We are just finding so many posts about simple setup things that are covered in the User Manuals. So pls dont take this personally and keep asking as we are here to help but read the manuals - the unit has a hard copy and the latest versions are available for download from our website or the Mede8erforum.com
Mede8er1

No worries. smile.gif I understand the same questions can get tiring when they are in the manual. I apologize for not checking first - I should have thought to do that in case it was in there which I guess it was. I do appreciate the reply. I downloaded the latest manual off the site too so that's the one I'll refer to.
post #684 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mede8er1 View Post

As you pointed out this is covered in the user manual. Seems the best option for you will be to install an external IR.
Mede8er1

Strange because if I stand up and walk around the room, it seems to get the signal okay even at an angle. For some reason the position I'm in where I usually sit is just at the wrong angle. Unfortunately I don't have too many options for moving things around too much in my small apartment. I'll keep trying.
post #685 of 1302
eagle_2

Most dont have this problem but as I already stated we will try to add some xy screen offset adjustment in the Setup Menu in V2.

Mede8er1
post #686 of 1302
Another issue I just noticed - on all 23.976 content, I get a skip or stutter every 10 or 15 seconds. I've tried numerous 23.976 .mkv files that play on all my other equipment no problem, and also played back on my Micca no problem. However, this player is stuttering. It's like a frame drop. This is playing from the internal hard drive. The files are 1080p 4.1 profile .mkv files encoded at 23.976fps. My tv system is set to 1080p 60Hz, with 1080p 24Hz off. It should be playing smoothly. At first I though it was the 23.976 bug like in 3D mode, but it seems to be happening too often to be that bug, which happened only twice a minute or so. This is happening with 2D content. Any ideas why I can't play these files smoothly?
post #687 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mede8er1 View Post

eagle_2
Most dont have this problem but as I already stated we will try to add some xy screen offset adjustment in the Setup Menu in V2.
Mede8er1

Most don't have it or most don't notice it? People on the Micca thread didn't notice it until I brought it up and started asking questions, then others came in and confirmed after checking that it does display off center.

From HokeySmoke on the Micca thread:

"My testing shows that that the image is shifted two pixels to the right and one pixel down. For side-by-side the right shift would be effectively doubled to 4 pixels since the TV will scale the image to twice its width."

Another user:

"Also as you noted SBS would be impossible to watch due to misalignment."


And at the top of the thread, posted by the Micca rep under known issues:

"- In 2D output mode, the right most edge and bottom edge of the screen is over-scanned by a few pixels. This causes a vertical line to exist at the edge of the screen when the TV is used to convert 2D SBS material into 3D."
Edited by eagle_2 - 12/28/12 at 2:07pm
post #688 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Another issue I just noticed - on all 23.976 content, I get a skip or stutter every 10 or 15 seconds. I've tried numerous 23.976 .mkv files that play on all my other equipment no problem, and also played back on my Micca no problem. However, this player is stuttering. It's like a frame drop. This is playing from the internal hard drive. The files are 1080p 4.1 profile .mkv files encoded at 23.976fps. My tv system is set to 1080p 60Hz, with 1080p 24Hz off. It should be playing smoothly. At first I though it was the 23.976 bug like in 3D mode, but it seems to be happening too often to be that bug, which happened only twice a minute or so. This is happening with 2D content. Any ideas why I can't play these files smoothly?

Yeah I noticed this skip/stutter in 2D. Hopefully this gets fixed in firmware v2.
post #689 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I have to say that I'm disappointed in the range of the remote. I placed it on the top inner shelf of my entertainment center, behind glass doors, just like my old player. It was impossible for the player to get the remote signal unless I held the remote high up in the air and pointed it at just the right angle. I moved the player to the very top of the stand, on the outside, right in front of the tv, so the player is now directly in front of me - literally like 9-10 feet away directly in front of me. It still doesn't receive commands from the remote unless I'm pointing it precisely at the right angle - even though it looks like it's pointed right at it, it doesn't get the signal. I swapped out the batteries with a brand new set of alkalines, and it's no better. Every other button press is lost, because it doesn't get the signal. Sometimes, it gets the signal twice it seems because it skips one or two lines up at a time if I'm trying to scroll though a list or the menu, like I pressed the button repeatedly, even though I only pressed it once. I did read in the manual that the player has a design that requires a certain placement for the angle to bounce the signal, but really - the remote is pointed directly at the player and it just ignores the signal unless I raise my arm and angle my remote just right. I have about a 1 -2 degree angle that works, and if I move my wrist even slightly up or down, it doesn't get the signal, even though the remote is still aimed right in the direction of the player.
Do others with this player have this difficulty? All my other remotes work with absolutely no issue - my AVR, my tv, blu-ray player, DVD player, WDTV Live - all have no issues picking up my remote signals each and every time.


this is a old picture of my setting , from the seating position to x3 is 3 meters (about 10 feet ) no issues with remote, even if move to 5 o 6 meters in diagonal , i dont have issues controling the X3.

If you look at my setting position, i use different postions to watch the TV and watch the projector , NO issues with X3 in ANY OF positions, direct or diagonal.

Glass in front of X3 is 2,5CM deep, keeping gear inside the cabinet was the only way to keep them safe from my 2 year old boy.

inside the cabinet i have :
amplifier rotel ra-11
600x3d
1000x3d
cable box
blu-ray player
satelite box

The remote from the projector espon with CEC- ON can control most of functions of X3 , and also i dont have issue with epson remote, lay down, stand up, or even upside down.


i remember you mention this in micca topic, about the micca remote, that i never had issues , and im sure there some interference in your living room with other hardware that blocks your IR signal.

A friend of mine had one of does hdmi scalers , that work in some strange frequency and eliminate every type of connection in a 2 meters wide.
my advise:

Unplug from power cord every single device you have , one device at the time, and keep trying the x3 remote, if you see improvments in last device you unplug, you found your culprit.




also i wouid like to see a picture of you X3 position, so everyone can judge and getting a better impression what you are mention.
Edited by canton160 - 12/28/12 at 4:45pm
post #690 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Another issue I just noticed - on all 23.976 content, I get a skip or stutter every 10 or 15 seconds. I've tried numerous 23.976 .mkv files that play on all my other equipment no problem, and also played back on my Micca no problem. However, this player is stuttering. It's like a frame drop. This is playing from the internal hard drive. The files are 1080p 4.1 profile .mkv files encoded at 23.976fps. My tv system is set to 1080p 60Hz, with 1080p 24Hz off. It should be playing smoothly. At first I though it was the 23.976 bug like in 3D mode, but it seems to be happening too often to be that bug, which happened only twice a minute or so. This is happening with 2D content. Any ideas why I can't play these files smoothly?

this already being fix , in 2D and 3D , @thrang and other users already confirm its fix in firmware 2.0 soon will come out .

and keep you 1080p 24hz ON in X3

Leave your tv settings in auto, the player will sent the correct frame, 24/30/ 60 whatever is the movie framerate.

if i put my tv or projector to play at 60fps it will play at 60fps, if i put at 50 it will play at 50, but the correct setting is leave the tv in AUTO let the sources (x3) handles the resolution/frames not the tv.

also the 1080p 24hz in your tv must be ON you are messing with your tv settings without the knowledge to do it, its impossible to your setting play without issues you have 24p off and forcing to play at 60hz
also did you put your yamaha receiver to passthrough or 1080p/24 or auto ? or you choose a fix resolution to mess even more ?
Edited by canton160 - 12/28/12 at 4:29pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* Mede8er X3D (1000 | 800 | 600) Streamer Thread