or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 26

post #751 of 852

Hi guys I have been reading this thread for a long time. It's interesting to see what issues people have, and how you all help resolve them.

So here's my dillema.

Just decided to swap out my Yamaha RXA3010 for a SR7007. I know the 008 is coming but in reality there's little to no change that effect me.

I actually own a retail specialist Hi fi store, so feel strange asking this here.

 

There are 3 HDMI outputs. I use one for the main LED and it's fine. No issues.

Connect the 2nd output, great picture, awesome, but no sound. I have reset, poked, prodded, swore, you name it. No matter what I try there's no sound.

My HD cables are fine. I checked them.

 

What the hell am I doing wrong? The 3010 was perfect.

I reckon it's a lemon, but then again................

 

I have owned a Hi Fi specialist store for 16 years, and NEVER come across this.

That Yammy might be brought home again soon.

 

Anyone have any suggestions? I am truly stumped.

 

Thanks

 

System Plinius SA102 power amp, Monitor Audio PL300's, Quad centre and rears, Monitor Audio GX Sub, Oppo BDP103.

post #752 of 852

Hi Everyone,

 

I am newbie to this forum, but recently an owner of an sr7007. I have a problem to connect the avr to my tv (LG 47LA660s, 2013 model) both having ARC function. This ARC would mean that I need only one HDMI cable for both audio and video. Although I seem to enabled this option both on the TV and the avr I don't have audio signal. I need an optical cable too to have it. Furthermore I can only see the setup list of the avr on the TV screen if I choose manually the HDMI input of the TV. Any suggestions? What I am doing wrong? Sorry for the very beginner question...

 

Thank you in advance.  

post #753 of 852
^^
In order for ARC to work, in addition to SimpLink being enabled on the TV, there is also likely a setting to set the speakers to either TV or "external speakers". Additionally HDMI control must be enabled on the 7007.
post #754 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993man View Post

Hi guys I have been reading this thread for a long time. It's interesting to see what issues people have, and how you all help resolve them.
So here's my dillema.
Just decided to swap out my Yamaha RXA3010 for a SR7007. I know the 008 is coming but in reality there's little to no change that effect me.
I actually own a retail specialist Hi fi store, so feel strange asking this here.

There are 3 HDMI outputs. I use one for the main LED and it's fine. No issues.
Connect the 2nd output, great picture, awesome, but no sound. I have reset, poked, prodded, swore, you name it. No matter what I try there's no sound.
My HD cables are fine. I checked them.

What the hell am I doing wrong? The 3010 was perfect.
I reckon it's a lemon, but then again................

I have owned a Hi Fi specialist store for 16 years, and NEVER come across this.
That Yammy might be brought home again soon.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am truly stumped.

Thanks

System Plinius SA102 power amp, Monitor Audio PL300's, Quad centre and rears, Monitor Audio GX Sub, Oppo BDP103.

There are (3) HDMI outputs on the SR7007 .... (2) in the main zone where the HDMI audio source can either pass to the surround speakers or to the TVs (but cannot be split, ie it's either one or the other), and (1) to Zone 2 which will pass both the HDMI audio/video to a Zone 2 TV. If you are not getting audio to the Zone 2 TV, then the source may have to be set to Stereo.
post #755 of 852

Thanks a lot jdsmoothie. I have forgotten the Simplink. Now I can control the volume both with the remote of the avr and tv.

 

Another question: If I want to select an item when listening to an USB device can I see the list on the TV screen or only on the avr's panel?

Thank you.

post #756 of 852
As there is no underlying video source, likely only on the front panel display.
post #757 of 852

Thank you.

post #758 of 852

Hey all, I need some help.

 

I just bought a sr7007 and a ud5007 at a Best Buy that was closing.  I have it all hooked up to my Klipsch KLF20s and Yamaha YST SW100 sub and then did the Audyssey set up.  That all went fine but when I listen to it I have to turn the volume way up.  At 50% volume I get background level music.  It's not until 75% that it gets loud, and I can crank it up to 100% without blowing out the windows in my house.

 

I would never be able to turn old Yamaha RXV995 I am replacing past 50% without doing some serious damage.  The Klipsch speakers are supposed to be very efficient - what gives?

 

I also do not seem to be getting as rich of a sound as I did with the Yamaha.  I tried tweaking the EQ but that did not do much to solve the problem. I will say that the separation is fantastic.

 

Hopefully there is a solution out there.

post #759 of 852
Modern receivers use logarithmic volume controls measured in dB. They don't use the linear volume controls found in the old-style receivers which specified a fraction of their output power.

After calibration, modern volume control settings have nothing whatsoever to do with the amount of power that the receiver is using. Instead, the volume control tells the receiver what fraction of movie reference sound level you want. In particular, a volume control setting of 80 corresponds to movie reference volume. When you play a movie at that volume setting, you'll hear it at the sound level that the audio mixer intended to be heard in a calibrated commercial movie theater, which can produce peak sound levels of 105dB. For most people, that is much too loud in a home setting. People often listen to movies at a level 15-20 dB lower: at settings between 60 and 65. CDs aren't mixed to any particular standard, but they usually are mixed at a much higher sound level than movies, so people often listen to them 10 dB lower: between 50 and 60.

Having to turn up the volume control as high as you describe is unusual. It probably would be appropriate for you to redo the calibration, following the guidelines provided in the Audyssey 101/FAQ available at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993

The instructions provided in the receiver's owner's manual are woefully inadequate.
post #760 of 852

Thanks, I'll give it a try and post the results.

post #761 of 852

So I recalibrated and the set my speakers to small and set the LFE crossover to 80bd.  Sounds better but I still feel I am missing something in the mid range.  Also, I can still turn the receiver all the way up without blowing out the windows.  Does Audyssey set a "max" for volume?

post #762 of 852

As I try to figure out the volume level and tonal quality I wanted to play an SACD on the UD5007 I bought.  I know this is the AVR7007 post but maybe someone out there can help me.  The manual says to repeatedly press the "Layer" button until "Multi" is displayed.  Well I do not seem to have that option.  I press the button and it scrolls through "DVD" "Stereo" and "Audio".  When I play a SACD it only plays in stereo even though the player is recognizing that it is a SACD.

post #763 of 852
^^
Most likely it is only a Stereo SACD.
post #764 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Maker View Post

So I recalibrated and the set my speakers to small and set the LFE crossover to 80bd.  Sounds better but I still feel I am missing something in the mid range.  Also, I can still turn the receiver all the way up without blowing out the windows.  Does Audyssey set a "max" for volume?

The only thing that Audyssey does is to EQ the speakers and sub. The AVR will set the LARGE/SMALL, crossover, distance, and speaker/sub settings. The AVR does have a Volume Limit setting (p. 140 OM) that defaults to -10db/70 .
post #765 of 852

You were right on the SACD (I feel really dumb).  I checked the volume limit and it is off.  Shouldn't this amp really power my KLF20's?

post #766 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The only thing that Audyssey does is to EQ the speakers and sub. The AVR will set the LARGE/SMALL, crossover, distance, and speaker/sub settings.

I thought the distance setting was integral with eq. Do I have this wrong, or do I misunderstand what you are saying. And are comments like "Audyssey always gets my sub distance wrong" just flat out incorrect, because the avr sets the distance?
post #767 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Maker View Post

You were right on the SACD (I feel really dumb).  I checked the volume limit and it is off.  Shouldn't this amp really power my KLF20's?

No worries. We've all been there. smile.gif Yes, the AVR should power the KLF20's very easily with a sensitivity rating of 100db (meaning on average the AVR is only using 1-2W to power them). I was just suggesting you set the Volume Limit setting to ensure the volume wasn't accidentally raised above 0db especially if there are little ones in the house.
post #768 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by defmoot View Post

I thought the distance setting was integral with eq. Do I have this wrong, or do I misunderstand what you are saying. And are comments like "Audyssey always gets my sub distance wrong" just flat out incorrect, because the avr sets the distance?

They are incorrect on two counts in that the AVR sets the distance and although the distance for the speakers is generally spot on, the distance for the sub is a "delay" setting (not a distance setting) and accounts for the filters in the sub that delay the signal processing so the sub "distance" will generally always be greater than the actual distance to the sub.
post #769 of 852

Hi everyone. Regarding to listen to flac files via USB port can I expect a much better SQ if I would use an UD5007 or 7007 player (or other players with flac capability) compared to my SR7007 avr also capable of playing directly flac files? Can it be that there will be no significant improvement (UD5007 vs. SR7007)? Thank you.

post #770 of 852
No, there will be no improvement in audio quality. However, check to see if they support multichannel FLAC (assuming you're interested in that). Many players support only stereo.
post #771 of 852

Thanks.

post #772 of 852

Volume Issue - I talked with the guys at Marantz and they said that what I am experiencing is normal.  Loud would be some where between 70-80 and really loud is at 100.  They said that even with the volume at max I am not pushing the amp provided that I have adequate air flow.

 

I did notice that Audyssey did lower the levels on all my speakers.  I was told by Marantz that this was so when the volume was set to 0db I would be listening at a reference movie level.

 

Thanks for everyone's help.

post #773 of 852
Hello all, I’ve been a long time member of AVS but haven’t posted but a few times. It’s time for me to upgrade my Home theater receiver .I was looking to purchases either the Anthem MRX 710 or the Marantz SR7007 OR SR7008.I listen to Sacd’s as much as I watch movies so after research I found that the Anthem doesn’t accommodate the direct 7.1 rca connection so I am 99% sure I will make the move to Marantz. From everything I have read I truly think I will be very happy.

My Living room system:

Boston Acoustics AVR 7120 (home theater receiver)
Sherwood Newcastle HSB-600 (HDMI Link a/s switcher)
Marantz dv9500 Universal player(sacd/dvd-audio)
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blue-ray player
Boston Acoustics vr-35 Thx (mains)
Boston Acoustics vr-14 Thx (center)
Boston Acoustics vrs-pro Thx (surrounds)
Audioquest (All interconnects and speaker cables)

My two channel room system:
Anthem TLP-1 pre-amp
Anthem MCA20 2- channel amp
Yamaha DVP-2300 (Universal player)
Boston Acoustic (VR M60 speakers)
Audioquest (interconnects and speaker cables)
post #774 of 852
Well I did it last night,I went to The Audio Store on the Berlin turnpike In Ct and purchased the Marantz SR7007 from Bernie for a great price. It's killing me to be at work and have it sitting home in a box not hooked up. I can't wait to get home tonight and start hooking it up.Last night I watched the new Thor movie using my old system and my plans are to hook up new Marantz and watch it again this weekend and see the difference.

The Audio Store
2457 Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
phone: 860.666.5006
fax: 860.667.7030
http://www.theaudiostore.com
post #775 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by onge65 View Post

Hello all, I’ve been a long time member of AVS but haven’t posted but a few times. It’s time for me to upgrade my Home theater receiver .I was looking to purchases either the Anthem MRX 710 or the Marantz SR7007 OR SR7008.I listen to Sacd’s as much as I watch movies so after research I found that the Anthem doesn’t accommodate the direct 7.1 rca connection so I am 99% sure I will make the move to Marantz. From everything I have read I truly think I will be very happy.

My Living room system:

Boston Acoustics AVR 7120 (home theater receiver)
Sherwood Newcastle HSB-600 (HDMI Link a/s switcher)
Marantz dv9500 Universal player(sacd/dvd-audio)
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blue-ray player
Boston Acoustics vr-35 Thx (mains)
Boston Acoustics vr-14 Thx (center)
Boston Acoustics vrs-pro Thx (surrounds)
Audioquest (All interconnects and speaker cables)

My two channel room system:
Anthem TLP-1 pre-amp
Anthem MCA20 2- channel amp
Yamaha DVP-2300 (Universal player)
Boston Acoustic (VR M60 speakers)
Audioquest (interconnects and speaker cables)

Upgrading to the newer SR7008 would provide more features as well as better audio fidelity using the much more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
post #776 of 852
How do I set the 7007 to pass through video without scaling? Do I just set the I/P scaler in the video setup menu to off? I want to run my DirectTv box, and my Roku 3 through my Oppo BDP103 to take advantage of the Oppo's upscaling features. I would then run the Oppo into the Marantz, but I want to make sure it's not scaling as well. I would imagine it could introduce artifacts if both processors were scaling to 1080p.
post #777 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The only thing that Audyssey does is to EQ the speakers and sub. The AVR will set the LARGE/SMALL, crossover, distance, and speaker/sub settings. The AVR does have a Volume Limit setting (p. 140 OM) that defaults to -10db/70 .
Here's a related question, if I may. I own a 7007 and just recently purchased a new Oppo 103 BD player and have been jumping thru the usual hoops trying to get it set up. I have connected the player's 7.1 analog outputs to the 7007's multi-channel inputs and was going to do the level, distance and crossover adjustments in the player and then it hit me that I may not have to make these adjustments if the 7007 applied the same adjustments to that analog input set during the receiver's initial set-up thru Audessey. The Oppo's manual says that most receivers do not apply level , distance and crossover settings to their 7.1 analog inputs, so I scoured thru the 7007's manual and couldn't find any reference to this one way or the other. So, I'm asking that vexing question: does it or doesn't it? Thanks, as always.
post #778 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The only thing that Audyssey does is to EQ the speakers and sub. The AVR will set the LARGE/SMALL, crossover, distance, and speaker/sub settings. The AVR does have a Volume Limit setting (p. 140 OM) that defaults to -10db/70 .
Here's a related question, if I may. I own a 7007 and just recently purchased a new Oppo 103 BD player and have been jumping thru the usual hoops trying to get it set up. I have connected the player's 7.1 analog outputs to the 7007's multi-channel inputs and was going to do the level, distance and crossover adjustments in the player and then it hit me that I may not have to make these adjustments if the 7007 applied the same adjustments to that analog input set during the receiver's initial set-up thru Audessey. The Oppo's manual says that most receivers do not apply level , distance and crossover settings to their 7.1 analog inputs, so I scoured thru the 7007's manual and couldn't find any reference to this one way or the other. So, I'm asking that vexing question: does it or doesn't it? Thanks, as always.

Sorry, but no, it doesn't. Audio processing, including distance, bass management and level matching, is done digitally. The receiver would need to have high-quality ADCs on all of those inputs, which would increase the cost significantly. Only a very few high-end devices go to those lengths.
post #779 of 852
Selden: So, then you're saying I need to do all that stuff in the player, right? I made those adjustments in my 83SE player which the 103 replaces, so I wonder if I could just use those settings, rather than starting from scratch, so to speak?
post #780 of 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

How do I set the 7007 to pass through video without scaling? Do I just set the I/P scaler in the video setup menu to off? I want to run my DirectTv box, and my Roku 3 through my Oppo BDP103 to take advantage of the Oppo's upscaling features. I would then run the Oppo into the Marantz, but I want to make sure it's not scaling as well. I would imagine it could introduce artifacts if both processors were scaling to 1080p.

Correct. Set i/p Scaler to OFF.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread