or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Great Found Deals › Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer - Only $299 - Save 70%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer - Only $299 - Save 70% - Page 5

post #121 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmo View Post

3 new reviews on Newegg in the last couple of days indicating the subs were received damaged or with the port loose inside, Little nervous since I have one in route. I hope these are a few isolated incidents.

Mine arrived in perfect shape. The sub is in a box surrounded by foam, then that box is inside a another box with about two inches of foam. I mean somebody would just about have to intentionally kick the thing with a boot to damage it. smile.gif
post #122 of 656
Mine had a hole through both the inner and outer box. Luckily it didn't damage the sub. Those guys at UPS don't care how they treat them.
post #123 of 656
I found ups and fedx guys to be very good, but I found the local trucking guys to be abit shady. My new dell computer box was opened / split alittle and all the discs were missing, one call to dell and I had them replaced overnight..
My US post / mailman is also very good will my deliveries
post #124 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

I found ups and fedx guys to be very good, but I found the local trucking guys to be abit shady. My new dell computer box was opened / split alittle and all the discs were missing, one call to dell and I had them replaced overnight..
My US post / mailman is also very good will my deliveries

Some are good and care about what they do and then some NOT....
I hope this doesn't happen to anybody's new sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYEDqRkyQFo&feature=BFa&list=PL45C2103E5BB0159C
post #125 of 656
Recieved mine today, klipsch box inside of a styrofoam padded bigger box. Klipsch box looks ok no damage. Cant bring it in the house yet....wife doesnt/cant know i bought it. Will let you all know tomorrow....she goes to work. smile.gif

One black subwoofer looks like another, to the untrained eye....right?
post #126 of 656
They notice color/shape changes the minute they walk through the entrance way. eek.gif
post #127 of 656
If true, i shall have to convince her that she is being ridiculous. Square black thing is the same square black thing. " these are not the subwoofers you are looking for..."..,,,jedi mind tricks?
post #128 of 656
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post

Cant bring it in the house yet....wife doesnt/cant know i bought it. Will let you all know tomorrow....she goes to work. smile.gif

Well, if we never hear from you again at least we'll know why... wink.gif
post #129 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post

Recieved mine today, klipsch box inside of a styrofoam padded bigger box. Klipsch box looks ok no damage. Cant bring it in the house yet....wife doesnt/cant know i bought it. Will let you all know tomorrow....she goes to work. smile.gif
One black subwoofer looks like another, to the untrained eye....right?

This is not going to end well. biggrin.gif
post #130 of 656

No problem, she'll get the house, he'll get the speakers.

post #131 of 656
All good my friends! It is a bit bigger then the old sub, but its in the house! Switcheroo for the win!
post #132 of 656
the sub arrived today. No damage and it works great. Set it up though I ' m still playing with adjustments. Currently watching LOTR on the new home theater system,
post #133 of 656
Would like to know some people settings for movies
post #134 of 656
Coupon code EMCJHNC48 brings the price down to $299 at final check out.
post #135 of 656
Just ordered mine with the coupon code. I meant to add a 2 year warranty but in my excitement I forgot. Oh well saved the $80. So I'll be adding the rw-12d to my Icon W set up. This is my first subwoofer, I've been running a Polk 5.0 setup for years, and the last few years didn't have the rears hooked up so really it's been 3.0. Feeling pretty biggrin.gif
post #136 of 656
Thanks "awareme"!

Just ordered one with the discount. Now I have 2 for my new house!

smile.gif
post #137 of 656
Thanks for the heads up!
post #138 of 656
Stiil in stock guys. Now that I grabbed another one I don't care how many you order.
post #139 of 656
I received mine on 12/05, and as soon as I moved the box, I heard something rattle frown.gif .. not good. I took the Klipsch box out from the shipping box, still rattling .. i thought may be the grill is lose. I took it to the basement where I would set it up with my Statements over the weekend.

So today (12/08/2012) I took the woofer out of the Klipsch, put it down tilted it back and saw the port tube lose...I will RMA it though.

Anyone else received a rattling sub woofer?
post #140 of 656
That sucks! Both of mine arrived in pristine condition except one was missing the power cord, Newegg has said that they will look for a replacement cord in the warehouse however it's been 5 days and I have not heard back so we'll see. I ended up plugging in a three prong cord it fits knida tight in the sub but so far nothing has fried or started on fire, it would b nice to have the proper cord though.
post #141 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

That sucks! Both of mine arrived in pristine condition except one was missing the power cord, Newegg has said that they will look for a replacement cord in the warehouse however it's been 5 days and I have not heard back so we'll see. I ended up plugging in a three prong cord it fits knida tight in the sub but so far nothing has fried or started on fire, it would b nice to have the proper cord though.

By accident I've discovered it's similiar to the Xbox 360 power cord. IEC style with only 2 holes and plugs. Might be bold and try to switch them today to see if that's feasible for you. The only thing is the Xbox plug end isn't polarized. Both the plugs are the same size as opposed to one being slightly bigger.
post #142 of 656
So I opened my rattling box today and found a few things:

1. The box is made of 3/4 inch MDF.
2. Lots of hot glue used inside.
3. Driver magnet is not shielded.
4. There is no acoustic dampening material inside.
5. Whoever assembled this piece lacks marksmanship.

here are some pictures:
3/4" MDF:


Lots of hot glue inside and no acoustic dampening:



No shielding on the driver's magnet:


Bad marksmanship:


I guess the port-tube is easy to fix, the question is should I put some acoustic dampening material?

Hopefully, people will find this post useful.
post #143 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwareMe View Post

Coupon code EMCJHNC48 brings the price down to $299 at final check out.
Thanks AwareMe... Ordered mine just now too!
post #144 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post

So I opened my rattling box today and found a few things:
1. The box is made of 3/4 inch MDF.
2. Lots of hot glue used inside.
3. Driver magnet is not shielded.
4. There is no acoustic dampening material inside.
5. Whoever assembled this piece lacks marksmanship.
here are some pictures:
3/4" MDF:

Lots of hot glue inside and no acoustic dampening:


No shielding on the driver's magnet:

Bad marksmanship:

I guess the port-tube is easy to fix, the question is should I put some acoustic dampening material?
Hopefully, people will find this post useful.

Could they be knockoffs?
post #145 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

Could they be knockoffs?

I don't think they're knockoffs, but just what we get for $300.


Also, I'm not implying that they sound bad, I think they're a great value for $300, now I'm not sure if a DIY sub can be built for under $300 that can sound as good as this one.
post #146 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post

Whoever assembled this piece lacks marksmanship. the question is should I put some acoustic dampening material?
Hopefully, people will find this post useful.

Hey its not bad work for a 12 year old !!!
As for the acoustic dampening material it can have a big effect with sealed subs but not so much with ported, its a try it and see what it does, it can lessen speaker and any wire rattle noise if any. With ported you would only need to line the walls not fill the box like sealed..
If you try it besure to use pad type not the loose stuffing as it will blow it out the port !!


Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

Could they be knockoffs?

I would think by now it would be known as newegg been selling them for a long long time..
post #147 of 656
Got 2 last week. Both with the port loose inside. Pushed one back on just to hear it. Sounded pretty good for 299. Ive got some epoxy to put on them that should really hold it.
post #148 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post

I don't think they're knockoffs, but just what we get for $300.
Also, I'm not implying that they sound bad, I think they're a great value for $300, now I'm not sure if a DIY sub can be built for under $300 that can sound as good as this one.

If your thinking parts express it would cost you more, the sum of its parts would be better but the overall performance may not be any better, The speaker build would be better but the amp and cabinet may be somewhat less.
The Klipsch RW-12d looks like the amp and cabinet are good in the price range, the driver is where they cut costs (stamped frame). In time you could just replace the driver, I like the fact that the Klipsch has a rubber surround.
This is a big plus over the polk 505 with a foam surround driver, but the 505 sells for 189 and is just as good. You can get two polk 505 for well under 400 and that should take care of all your HT needs at the lowend...
Edited by joehonest - 12/10/12 at 8:14am
post #149 of 656
Who am I to argue with the guy with "The LastWordIn Audio" flare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

If you try it besure to use pad type not the loose stuffing as it will blow it out the port !!
That's what I discovered scraping for info through this site, and that is exactly what I will do, thanks for reinforcement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

If your thinking parts express it would cost you more, the sum of its parts would be better but the overall performance may not be any better, The speaker build would be better but the amp and cabinet may be somewhat less.
The Klipsch RW-12d looks like the amp and cabinet are good in the price range, the driver is where they cut costs (stamped frame). In time you could just replace the driver, I like the fact that the Klipsch has a rubber surround.
This is a big plus over the polk 505 with a foam surround speaker, but the 505 sells for 189 and is just as good. You can get two polk 505 for well under 400 and that should take care of all your HT needs at the lowend...

What do you think would be a good aftermarket driver ?

Two polk 505s for my 20x15x8 might be too much for my townhouse.

Which one would you prefer: BIC F12 or Polk 505?
post #150 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

In time you could just replace the driver,.......

What would you recommend? The least expensive drivers at Parts Express have what I consider to be very short Xmax throws. confused.gif

Any driver that I've found in 8 Ohm with a decent Xmax, individually costs more than a complete RW-12d. eek.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Great Found Deals
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Great Found Deals › Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer - Only $299 - Save 70%