or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Bryston SP3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 3

post #61 of 1163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

Holy crap!!! You were right. This thing is sweet. My Dynaudios are telling me things the Lex was hiding. EVERYTHING is better. Movies sound awesome. The steering is clearly better when using the same codec as the Lex and the DTS-Master and True Dolby HD codecs are just great and I'm happy to be able to finally access them. The analog is what really excites me. Hearing instrument resolution I've been missing for a long time. Really, it's like buying new speakers.

Set up was pretty easy for the most part. Got the LAN connection quickly and it's nice to see what the panel looks like from another room. I do have a question though. I have my Ayre DAC connected via single ended input (CD). I normally used it in bypass mode before and am currently. I select 2-channel bypass and then the CD input below. My question is if I want to, can I use some of the surround modes the SP3 has for stereo inputs? If I select Stereo up top I lose the signal. The manual says (page 4 Surround Mode) when addressing these modes that " These modes derive surround modes from stereo (2 -channel) analog DVD inputs." So are they referring to older stereo codec movies entering via HDMI, just the DVD single end input, or any of the single end inputs? I see that stereo audio from my TIVO DVR can be adjusted, so thinking it must just be that, but if analog music can be manipulated please advise as to how it's done.

Only other observation is that when I first started watching a movie it seemed like the picture was a bit sharper and I thought it a bonus for getting the on screen processor, etc out of the loop. I was fooling around with my K-scape video and audio output options though and started to get a little video noise. Small flecks noticeable against black. That had me worried, but I've been unable to replicate it this morning. Ever had any issues with that? I

Edit: Video noise issues resolved.

Big Hat, I am sorry i have not responded sooner to your post, but I don't view this thread as much due to my thorough enjoyment of my SP3. But, I am so happy that you have corroborated my findings on the SP3. I know what you mean when you say its like buying new speakers, and that EVERYTHING is better. cool.gif Unfortunately, I cannot answer your questions regarding the use of a DAC as I have never used one. On the other hand, I doubt, but I maybe wrong, that you will need to use Ayre DAC as I cannot see it sounding better than the DAC on the SP3. I use to think that the DAC on my Sony XA5400ES using its balanced XLR output sounded better than the D/A converter on the SP3, but the more I listen and switch back and forth to the Bryston and Sony, the better the Bryston sounds. Finally, I have never tried to make use of the surrounds through the Bryston's 2 channel analog inputs. But, I can tell you that I find myself listening to digital 2.0 converted to 7.1 on the Bryston SP3, and I find that it makes the music floats in the air. No matter how inaccurate purist may find it, 7.1 from 2.0 in surround makes music sound damn good. I love it through the Bryston.
post #62 of 1163
How is setup handled with this unit? Can you access the unit via ip with a laptop or PC and configure from there?
post #63 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

How is setup handled with this unit? Can you access the unit via ip with a laptop or PC and configure from there?

I was a bit concerned about this after having the luxury of configuring my Lexicon MC-12 on my butt via an on-screen display. While it initially may appear laborious, I configured mine via the front panel in about 10 mins. I had captured measured speaker distances and attenuation details before removing the Lex from the system and just marched through the options. Of course, the location of your source gear (which HDMI, analog, etc inputs) is important to note, especially when programming a remote control.

That said, yes can can access the controls via laptop. You do get a "copy" of the SP3 front panel if you attach it to your local area network and bookmark the IP address. I also understand that an "app" may be in the works, but I find the current my laptop does a fine job. Additionally, you get access to on line manuals, firmware updates, etc from that one screen.
post #64 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Big Hat, I am sorry i have not responded sooner to your post, but I don't view this thread as much due to my thorough enjoyment of my SP3. But, I am so happy that you have corroborated my findings on the SP3. I know what you mean when you say its like buying new speakers, and that EVERYTHING is better. cool.gif Unfortunately, I cannot answer your questions regarding the use of a DAC as I have never used one. On the other hand, I doubt, but I maybe wrong, that you will need to use Ayre DAC as I cannot see it sounding better than the DAC on the SP3. I use to think that the DAC on my Sony XA5400ES using its balanced XLR output sounded better than the D/A converter on the SP3, but the more I listen and switch back and forth to the Bryston and Sony, the better the Bryston sounds. Finally, I have never tried to make use of the surrounds through the Bryston's 2 channel analog inputs. But, I can tell you that I find myself listening to digital 2.0 converted to 7.1 on the Bryston SP3, and I find that it makes the music floats in the air. No matter how inaccurate purist may find it, 7.1 from 2.0 in surround makes music sound damn good. I love it through the Bryston.


Thanks gabby,
I'm going to play with the internal DAC soon. May help offset the cost if I can sell the Ayre QB-9. I'm starting to be impressed with this Bryston gear and may try one of their 3x300w amps for the front side of my system too.
post #65 of 1163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

Thanks gabby,
I'm going to play with the internal DAC soon. May help offset the cost if I can sell the Ayre QB-9. I'm starting to be impressed with this Bryston gear and may try one of their 3x300w amps for the front side of my system too.

One thing that I am proud of is that at least you know I did not exaggerate or embellish the sonic traits of the SP3.wink.gif I'm also glad that you, like me, did not fall for that room correction philosophy. I, too, am impressed with Bryston gear. I purchased my first 5 channel amp when it first came out, the Krell KAV-500 for $5,000.00. Later Bryston came out with its 5 channel amp, the 9B and it sold for $3,600.00 , and it was more powerful, sonically better, and cheaper than the Krell. The 9B has been improved throughout the years and now sells for about $8,000.00. This is why I think the SP3 will be increasing in price once the word gets out.
post #66 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Nice thread, Gbaby. I've had my eye on this puppy for awhile. I just called my dealer to get the ball rolling on ordering one. I'll post if it happens. Unless the price has gone up drastically from what he quoted me in June, I'm in. (He said 10% off because another store offered me that. This guy is much closer to home, and I've done business with them before.)

Hopefully you can help me out if I have installation problems. (But I'll be sure to RTFM first...biggrin.gif)

Hi guys--

Sorry I haven't posted back here since that first post. For some reason, I haven't got a notification from AVS of a thread I was subscribed to in a very long time, even though I am supposedly subscribed to several that are current.

Anyway, I took delivery of my first SP3 right before Christmas. There some issues with it--which surprised me a bit-- but James Tanner put me in touch with one of their main tech guys on Christmas Eve, and we went over some stuff over the phone, and determined that indeed, there were problems with the Bryston. Two days after Christmas, I had a brand new unit. So I'm here to testify, brother, that Bryston service and their commitment to their customers is world class

And, of course, so is their gear. The SP3 is absolutely outstanding, and I further purchased a BDP-1 digital player, and have ripped a large portion of my CD collection to thumb drives. What a great combo!

I was previously using a Marantz UD9004 Universal BluRay player through a Parasound Halo P7, using the DAC section in the Marantz. The sound was really very good, and I might have been happy with it for quite a while, but the Marantz was very finicky with some movies, and the P7 lacked any digital inputs, so I had no way to get 5.1 sound from my Dish DVR. I was actually listening to 2(.1) channel sound for all my TV viewing using the "DACs" in the Dish. Not exactly world class sound.

So, I'd been keeping my eye out for a good pre-pro and when I read Kal's review of the Bryston, I figured I'd have to figure out a way to come up with the scratch. And I'm so glad I did...

Any way, more later, but for now, it's on to "Downton Abbey" in glorious 5.1 channel surround sound....
_____________________________
___________________
Dave
post #67 of 1163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Hi guys--

Sorry I haven't posted back here since that first post. For some reason, I haven't got a notification from AVS of a thread I was subscribed to in a very long time, even though I am supposedly subscribed to several that are current.

Anyway, I took delivery of my first SP3 right before Christmas. There some issues with it--which surprised me a bit-- but James Tanner put me in touch with one of their main tech guys on Christmas Eve, and we went over some stuff over the phone, and determined that indeed, there were problems with the Bryston. Two days after Christmas, I had a brand new unit. So I'm here to testify, brother, that Bryston service and their commitment to their customers is world class

And, of course, so is their gear. The SP3 is absolutely outstanding, and I further purchased a BDP-1 digital player, and have ripped a large portion of my CD collection to thumb drives. What a great combo!

I was previously using a Marantz UD9004 Universal BluRay player through a Parasound Halo P7, using the DAC section in the Marantz. The sound was really very good, and I might have been happy with it for quite a while, but the Marantz was very finicky with some movies, and the P7 lacked any digital inputs, so I had no way to get 5.1 sound from my Dish DVR. I was actually listening to 2(.1) channel sound for all my TV viewing using the "DACs" in the Dish. Not exactly world class sound.

So, I'd been keeping my eye out for a good pre-pro and when I read Kal's review of the Bryston, I figured I'd have to figure out a way to come up with the scratch. And I'm so glad I did...

Any way, more later, but for now, it's on to "Downton Abbey" in glorious 5.1 channel surround sound....
_____________________________
___________________
Dave

Congradulations Dave/Moonhawk! Now if you want to up the ante, try 7.1 if your room can accommodate it. It's a whole new level of listening, and once you try it, you can't go back to 5.1.
Edited by gbaby - 1/29/13 at 7:22am
post #68 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Congratulations Dave/Moonhawk! Now if you want to up the ante, try 7.1 if your room can accommodate it. It's a whole new level of listening, and once you try it, you can't go back to 5.1.


Thanks, gbaby.

I have the speakers, I built them myself, but outside of hanging them from the ceiling in the middle of the living room, there is no way to hook them up in my current setup. Down the road I have other plans, but don't tell my wife!

I meant to mention that I replaced the the Marantz UD9004 with an Oppo 103, and am running HDMI to the SP3 from it, and optical from the Dish DVR. Nice to eliminate a bundle of interconnects. I think the DACs in the SP3 are every bit the equal of those in the Marantz.

Multi channel for me is mostly movies, so 7.1 would be nice for that. I only have a few mch music titles. Too much of it is gimmicky to my taste, and not the recreation of ambience in the room where the music was recorded. I do all of my 2 channel listening with the BDP-1, and mainly use the Oppo for movies and the occasional mch music.

I hope more people on AVS will post here, but the SP3 is a pretty rare beast. My serial # is just over 400. Any other owners/ prospective owners out there?
__________________________
______________
Dave
Edited by moonhawk - 1/29/13 at 2:35pm
post #69 of 1163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Thanks, gbaby.

I have the speakers, I built them myself, but outside of hanging them from the ceiling in the middle of the living room, there is no way to hook them up in my current setup. Down the road I have other plans, but don't tell my wife!

I meant to mention that I replaced the the Marantz UD9004 with an Oppo 103, and am running HDMI to the SP3 from it, and optical from the Dish DVR. Nice to eliminate a bundle of interconnects. I think the DACs in the SP3 are every bit the equal of those in the Marantz.

Multi channel for me is mostly movies, so 7.1 would be nice for that. I only have a few mch music titles. Too much of it is gimmicky to my taste, and not the recreation of ambience in the room where the music was recorded. I do all of my 2 channel listening with the BDP-1, and mainly use the Oppo for movies and the occasional mch music.

I hope more people on AVS will post here, but the SP3 is a pretty rare beast. My serial # is just over 400. Any other owners/ prospective owners out there?

Is it possible to put two rear speakers on stands for 7.1? As far as music, I listen to a lot of native 2 channel music, but up convert them to 7.1 and the sound is immersive and makes music float in the air, accuracy be damn. I don't know what type of music you like, but try "The Chill Lounge," by Paul Hardcastle. I am perplexed as to why you purchased the Oppo when you are still using HDMI. In any event, you got a perfected SP3 as my serial number is 400, and it has absolutely no problems. I don't even get a delay when switching inputs.
Edited by gbaby - 1/29/13 at 10:59am
post #70 of 1163
Gbaby,
My build date is after the latest firmware release so I haven't played with that aspect of the SP3. Pretty simple? It sure looks straight forward from my laptop. Just wondered.

Matt
post #71 of 1163
Nice Moonkawk, how are you finding the BDP working with the SP3? I am just setting up the BPD now and am looking forward to ripping CDs and getting some tracks from Hdtracks. I am looking at Bluray players and with all the raving about the Oppo units on the UK forums I think I'll get one of those. Quick question, because I would be using the dac in the SP3 I should just need to get the 103 not the 105 correct?
post #72 of 1163
And Bighat, what Dynaudios do you have ? Must be an amazing system.
post #73 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Is it possible to put two rear speakers on stands for 7.1? As far as music, I listen to a lot of native 2 channel music, but up convert them to 7.1 and the sound is immersive and makes music float in the air, accuracy be damn. I don't know what type of music you like, but try "The Chill Lounge," by Paul Hardcastle. I am perplexed as to why you purchased the Oppo when you are still using HDMI. In any event, you got a perfected SP3 as my serial number is 400, and it has absolutely no problems. I don't even get a delay when switching inputs.

I have put 2 speakers on some old tripods, but it's a pain and the two dogs would make mincemeat of them if I left them there. Plus I can be a total Klutz and would trip over them and the wires plus the wife would...

I don't quite understand your question about the Oppo. I use HDMI out direct to TV for video, and the other HDMI out to SP3 for audio. IOW, I let the SP3 do the DAC work, because it has far better DACs than the Oppo. And I can sell the Marantz for enough to cover the cost of the BDP-1, or even a little more. Remember, it's the 103, not the 105 which has better DACs. So, the Oppo is basically a transport for me. Thinking of getting the Modwright mod on the 103, once I see what he does...

Music, I like Krauss, Krall, and K, Bela Fleck, Van Morrisson and Bob Marley, Yo Yo Ma and Tuck and Patty, and much in between. What setting do you use to get mch from 2ch on the SP3?
______________________________
_____________________
Dave
post #74 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kinney View Post

Nice Moonkawk, how are you finding the BDP working with the SP3? I am just setting up the BPD now and am looking forward to ripping CDs and getting some tracks from Hdtracks. I am looking at Bluray players and with all the raving about the Oppo units on the UK forums I think I'll get one of those. Quick question, because I would be using the dac in the SP3 I should just need to get the 103 not the 105 correct?
The BDP plays great with the SP3. It's just a matter of figuring out the right settings. I use a 110 ohm balanced cable, so set it to "Bal1" and "digital". (Or bal2, obviously, depending...)

So yes, I got the 103 to use just as a transport. As I said above, may get the modwright mod. The Dacs in the SP3 are outstanding.

BTW, if you get the Oppo and you want to try ripped music, you can rip to thumbdrives just like you would for the BDP-1 and they play back great through the Oppo. If you turn on your TV, yo'll even get a display of what's playing, complete with album art and navigation. Pretty cool. I used that while I was waiting delivery of my BDP.

BTW, also ordered a BIT-20 for filtering and surge protection. Any day now....... wink.gif
____________________________
____________________
Dave
post #75 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kinney View Post

And Bighat, what Dynaudios do you have ? Must be an amazing system.

Brian,
I'm a BIG Dynaudio fan. C2s and C center up front, and older C-3s in the back. I have C-1s in my office system at work. Focus 140s in my bedroom and powered 110As attached to my PowerMac system.
post #76 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

. Remember, it's the 103, not the 105 which has better DACs. So, the Oppo is basically a transport for me. Thinking of getting the Modwright mod on the 103, once I see what he does...
Dave
Definitely did the right thing going with the 103 Dave ; just edit which has the better dacs maybe as had a thought someone may want to try the 105's ess dacs through the sp3's multi analog in as the room eq philosophy ie none gives a level playing field smile.gif

I wonder if bryston will come out with a multichannel version of the bdp ? Would be sweet as I like there isolation from noisy computers philosophy use of hdd's - excuse the tortured english wink.gif Mention this as the oppo - at least the 93/ 95 onwards - handles 24/96 multichannel no worries if you happen to have a few dvd audio flac conversions . All moot of course if 2ch is the main game ..
post #77 of 1163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

I have put 2 speakers on some old tripods, but it's a pain and the two dogs would make mincemeat of them if I left them there. Plus I can be a total Klutz and would trip over them and the wires plus the wife would...

I don't quite understand your question about the Oppo. I use HDMI out direct to TV for video, and the other HDMI out to SP3 for audio. IOW, I let the SP3 do the DAC work, because it has far better DACs than the Oppo. And I can sell the Marantz for enough to cover the cost of the BDP-1, or even a little more. Remember, it's the 103, not the 105 which has better DACs. So, the Oppo is basically a transport for me. Thinking of getting the Modwright mod on the 103, once I see what he does...

Music, I like Krauss, Krall, and K, Bela Fleck, Van Morrisson and Bob Marley, Yo Yo Ma and Tuck and Patty, and much in between. What setting do you use to get mch from 2ch on the SP3?
______________________________
_____________________
Dave

Moonhawk, I was trying to do multiple quotes but I don't know how so I will answer you according to your paragraphs. On you first paragraph, your comments are funny! On your second pargraph, the reason I questioned the Oppo is that you are using its HDMI output so you are using the D/A converter on the SP3, therefore, it was my thought you could do the same with the Marrantz. As far as your musical tastes, it somewhat mirrors mine and you would love, "The Chill Lounge," by Paul Hardcastle. Plus Amazon automatically puts the CD on the "Clouds" for free and you can listen to it on an IPAD, Iphone or other device through the HDMI of your SP3, but I can say the actual CD is a revelation as far as sound. Finally, it has become apparent to me that while the SP3 has an excellant D/A converter, my best sound is using the 2 channel balanced input of the the SP3 with the source being my Sony XA-5400ES. I know I have indicated otherwise is previous posts, but I was using just the balanced input, but using 2 channel, and bypassing the sub results in a more powerful bass and overall sound from my left and right main speakers that are -3db @ 32Hz and -6db @ 25Hz for whatever its worth.
post #78 of 1163
Just wanted to ask current owner's how they feel about their SP3 purchase. Any concerns or regrets thus far? Also curious what prepro you cam from prior to the SP3.

Thanks guys.
post #79 of 1163
Greetings, Bryston fans:

I'm strongly considering the SP3 for my 7.2 system and have questions on two features that are key for me: dual subwoofers and speaker configurations. I've read the manual and this thread but could not find a discussion which helped me. To simplify matters, I'll ask the questions in separate posts:

Stereo subwoofer outputs (my subs are connected with in-wall single-ended RCA cables that I cannot change):

1. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use stereo subs when playing two-channel audio?

2. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use stereo subs when playing multichannel audio?

3. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use the subs for LFE when playing multichannel movies?


FYI, here's the equipment:

Amplifiers
Bryston 6B-SST(C): front L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C): surround L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C): rear L/C/R

Speakers
Paradigm Reference Signature S8: fronts L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature C5: front C
Paradigm Reference Signature ADP: surrounds L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature S4: rears L/R
Velodyne DD15 subwoofers (2): subwoofers L/R

Digital Sources
Oppo BDP 105 (scheduled for purchase to replace BDP-83)
Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player (scheduled for purchase)
Bryston BDA-2 D/A Converter (scheduled for purchase)


Thanks very much, guys. I very much appreciate your help.

RJ
Napa Valley
post #80 of 1163
Deja hi, Bryston fans:

As noted in my previous post, I'm strongly considering the SP3 for my 7.2 system and have questions on two features that are key for me: dual subwoofers and speaker configurations. I've read the manual and this thread but could not find a discussion which helped me.

Can the SP3 handle multiple speaker configurations?

I have a 7.2 speaker system (detailed below) and would like to set up three configurations: two-channel (2.2) audio, 5.2 audio, 7.2 movies. I recall that the original Denon AVP-A1HD pre-pro used to allow for two surround configurations, but wonder if the SP3 will do so.

1. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use my speaker system for 7.2 movies?

2. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use my speaker system for two-channel audio with stereo (or dual) subwoofers?

2. Is it possible to switch out the surround L/R speakers and replace with them with the rear L/R speakers for 5.2 audio (i.e., replace the diffuse Paradigm ADP speakers with the point-source Paradigm S4 speakers)? If so, how would I switch the SP3 to perform this function?



FYI, here's the equipment:

Amplifiers
Bryston 6B-SST(C): front L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C): surround L/C/R
Bryston 4B-SST(C): rear L/C/R

Speakers
Paradigm Reference Signature S8: fronts L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature C5: front C
Paradigm Reference Signature ADP: surrounds L/R
Paradigm Reference Signature S4: rears L/R
Velodyne DD15 subwoofers (2): subwoofers L/R

Digital Sources
Oppo BDP 105 (scheduled for purchase to replace BDP-83)
Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player (scheduled for purchase)
Bryston BDA-2 D/A Converter (scheduled for purchase)


Thanks very much, guys. I truly appreciate your expertise and advice.

RJ
Napa Valley
post #81 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Just wanted to ask current owner's how they feel about their SP3 purchase. Any concerns or regrets thus far? Also curious what prepro you cam from prior to the SP3.

Thanks guys.

I think your questions are answered by a review of the posts here, though there are only a handful of new owners in the thread. Most also compare it to what it replaces in their posts too. Have you read them yet?

I my case, I love the SP3 (no concerns or regrets) and I'm coming from 20 years of Lexicon pre/pros culminating in their current "flagship" (now a joke) the MC-12HD balanced.
Edited by BigHat - 1/30/13 at 11:43am
post #82 of 1163
Hi RJ,
You ask some good questions and I think I could take a good stab at them, but why risk it. Gbaby is probably your guy, but I'd suggest you post here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=8tgok15curh5eua3t35m54ehs73r6hnq&topic=50270.540

\

They have Bryston reps that chime in and they'd be sure to know.

Matt
post #83 of 1163
Thanks, Matt. I appreciate the referral. I follow this forum and will post there. Still, I'd very much appreciate advice from you and the other SP3 owners on this forum. The response from Bryston when I emailed my questions was that the SP3 might not be the right choice for me because it seems like I need a lot of features.

Yet, I'm only looking for two key features: the ability to use subs with two-channel music and the ability to configure two surround setups: 5.2 for music, using FL/C/FR and RL/RR speakers and 7.2 for movies, using FL/C/FR, LS/RS, LR/RR.

Is the ability to switch speaker configurations impossible with today's processors? (I recall that the original Denon AVP-A1HD, circa 2008, could switch between two surround configurations.)


Cheerio,

RJ
post #84 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post

Thanks, Matt. I appreciate the referral. I follow this forum and will post there. Still, I'd very much appreciate advice from you and the other SP3 owners on this forum. The response from Bryston when I emailed my questions was that the SP3 might not be the right choice for me because it seems like I need a lot of features.

Yet, I'm only looking for two key features: the ability to use subs with two-channel music and the ability to configure two surround setups: 5.2 for music, using FL/C/FR and RL/RR speakers and 7.2 for movies, using FL/C/FR, LS/RS, LR/RR.

Is the ability to switch speaker configurations impossible with today's processors? (I recall that the original Denon AVP-A1HD, circa 2008, could switch between two surround configurations.)


Cheerio,

RJ

RJ,
I have to say I was thinking the same thing the Bryston rep offered, but what about this:

With only one sub output, you'd need a Y cord into the two cables feeding your wall plugs for subs. My Lex MC-12 had dual sub outputs so I know this is far less than optimal.
I also don't think there's a perfect work around from 7.2 to 5.2. You configure the unit to reflect the speakers installed. Makes no sense to reconfigure to enable sides or not when you switch from movies to music. All I can think you "might" be able to do, is configure the movie and music input device for a different output codec and then turn on/off the side channel amp.

How's that for a couple of crappy ideas??!! :-) Maybe gbaby has better ones. I've only been messing with my unit for a short while and due to my room configuration I'm a 5.1 mode guy with a pretty straight forward set-up.

I am considering a Bryston 3-channel amp (3x300w) and I'd say your posts are quite an endorsement for their amps.
Edited by BigHat - 1/30/13 at 1:19pm
post #85 of 1163
The Bryston amps are great, Matt. They're built like tanks, and about as heavy. The three-channel 6B-SST(C) is about a hundred pounds; it took two of us to lift it to (yikes) the top shelf of my equipment cabinet, for which I had to use ultra-heavy-duty shelf sliders. It outputs 300wpc into 8 ohms and 500wpc into 4 ohms. If you don't want that much power, their 9B-SST can be ordered in three-channels; it's önly 140wpc into 8 ohms, 200 into 4 ohms. The twenty-year warranty is quite persuasive as well, and should enhance resale value.
post #86 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

Brian,
I'm a BIG Dynaudio fan. C2s and C center up front, and older C-3s in the back. I have C-1s in my office system at work. Focus 140s in my bedroom and powered 110As attached to my PowerMac system.

You have a very nice system my friend. Congrats.

Also RJ if you are considering the SP3, it does have the BDA 1 dac installed within it so I'm not sure it would be necessary to pick up the BDA 2, unless you are looking for that particular upgrade.
post #87 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post

Greetings, Bryston fans:

I'm strongly considering the SP3 for my 7.2 system and have questions on two features that are key for me: dual subwoofers and speaker configurations. I've read the manual and this thread but could not find a discussion which helped me. To simplify matters, I'll ask the questions in separate posts:

Stereo subwoofer outputs (my subs are connected with in-wall single-ended RCA cables that I cannot change):

1. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use stereo subs when playing two-channel audio?

2. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use stereo subs when playing multichannel audio?

3. How would I connect and switch the SP3 to use the subs for LFE when playing multichannel movies?

Not sure about all those particulars, RJ, but you can configure the aux output to use a second sub. I am fairly certain, however, that you will still have 2.1, not 2.2. Most experts I listen too--I am not one-- say 2.1 is preferable for various reasons.

It is also fairly easy to set up the SP3 to use your subs in most 2 channel situations, or to bypass them if you prefer.

Hope this helps. smile.gif
post #88 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Not sure about all those particulars, RJ, but you can configure the aux output to use a second sub. I am fairly certain, however, that you will still have 2.1, not 2.2. Most experts I listen too--I am not one-- say 2.1 is preferable for various reasons.

It is also fairly easy to set up the SP3 to use your subs in most 2 channel situations, or to bypass them if you prefer.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Moonhawk - I'm assuming you can set output and distance settings on the sub assigned to the Aux port, independent of the primary sub port. That should satisfy most needs I would think.
post #89 of 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Moonhawk, I was trying to do multiple quotes but I don't know how so I will answer you according to your paragraphs. On you first paragraph, your comments are funny! On your second pargraph, the reason I questioned the Oppo is that you are using its HDMI output so you are using the D/A converter on the SP3, therefore, it was my thought you could do the same with the Marrantz. As far as your musical tastes, it somewhat mirrors mine and you would love, "The Chill Lounge," by Paul Hardcastle. Plus Amazon automatically puts the CD on the "Clouds" for free and you can listen to it on an IPAD, Iphone or other device through the HDMI of your SP3, but I can say the actual CD is a revelation as far as sound. Finally, it has become apparent to me that while the SP3 has an excellant D/A converter, my best sound is using the 2 channel balanced input of the the SP3 with the source being my Sony XA-5400ES. I know I have indicated otherwise is previous posts, but I was using just the balanced input, but using 2 channel, and bypassing the sub results in a more powerful bass and overall sound from my left and right main speakers that are -3db @ 32Hz and -6db @ 25Hz for whatever its worth.

I want to sell the Marantz. I was using it with a Parasound Halo P7, all analog 7.1 pre amp, but while it sounds great, It is slow, finicky, and very expensive. The Oppo seems to be far more reliable, and my use for it is mainly for movies, I listen to music through the BDP-1. I'm sick of stuff that spins at thousands of RPM and constantly breaks down.

As far as sound quality, my CDs seem to sound better ripped to flac and played through the BDP-1 than than they die spinning them on the Marantz through the balanced outs. Of course, one way was through the P7, the other through the SP3, so it may not be a fair comparison. But to me, the simplicity of my current setup is far, far, superior with what I had before. Plus, I can sell the Marantz for enough to pay for the SP3.

My speakers don't go anywhere near as deep as yours, so I like to engage my subs on everything.

Thanks for the comments, and the tip on the Chill Lounge. smile.gif I'll see if I can do a listen to a sample at Amazon.

Enjoy the music.... wink.gif
post #90 of 1163
Hi Tony

In case I didn't mention this in the other thread, I was using a Parasound Halo P7. Sources were different also, but I am quite confident in saying that the SP3 is a big step up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Bryston SP3 Thread.