or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UN75ES9000 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UN75ES9000 Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

I've loved the Sharp Elites ever since I first saw one on the Magnolia showroom floor. If they had made an 80" version, I would own it. Coming from a 60", I just wasn't thrilled with the idea of only gaining 10 more inches. That's why I've been sitting back and waiting to see what else would come out. I was hoping for a bunch of new large full array local dimming sets to be announced at CES. Unfortunately, this was not the case, so now all my hopes are riding on the F8000. If it is as good or better than the ES9000 and is less money, I may take the plunge.

+1
post #242 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

What flaws do you notice or bother you?
Flashlighting in the corners you mention. Some others say they don't see it. Wonder if it's luck of the draw.

Flashlighting in the corners, but not all the time, the dimming for black bars eliminates most of it on most movies. I do notice lighter left and right edges and I know that is the edge lighting, but it still bugs me at the price point this tv is at. There is some occasional material that has bright center on dark background that also shows the limits of the edge lighting. I have stated it before, but will say again that the only things I find objectionable on this tv are all a result of two things, 1) the price, this is definitely an upper echelon tv when it comes to price, when you slap a $10,000 price-tag on a tv in this day and age, it had better be damn near perfect, 2) I am a plasma guy, I like the picture I have gotten from my plasma tv's. Problem is they max out at 65" . I do want the extra screen size so I have been looking at LCD's. I have had the 80LE844U, and contrary to the love-fest over in the owners thread the PQ is on par with the 50G10 I bought 4 years ago that had horrible blacks. The crosstalk and ghosting on 3D movies made it unwatchable for 3D. I would have gotten the 70" Elite, but it seems like the Nov. 2012 final production run is like entering a lottery that you have little chance of winning. So I went with the 75ES9000. I may exchange for the demo model at the shop I got mine from as the edges and corners look better than mine. If it weren't for those issues it is a very good tv, although I don't think I will ever say it is a good value. I didn't buy it for value, I bought it for the PQ, so thats what I expect and so far it comes pretty close, but is not living up to the PQ I expect for the price.
post #243 of 309
I just ordered one for around $6900 USD. I'm still on the fence on whether the price is about as good as it will get. Anyone get theirs cheaper?
post #244 of 309
That is a good price wild man. They are about 8k here in Perth WA. I'm just waiting until the F8000 series is released to compare the 75's
post #245 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred1973 View Post

Flashlighting in the corners, but not all the time, the dimming for black bars eliminates most of it on most movies. I do notice lighter left and right edges and I know that is the edge lighting, but it still bugs me at the price point this tv is at. There is some occasional material that has bright center on dark background that also shows the limits of the edge lighting. I have stated it before, but will say again that the only things I find objectionable on this tv are all a result of two things, 1) the price, this is definitely an upper echelon tv when it comes to price, when you slap a $10,000 price-tag on a tv in this day and age, it had better be damn near perfect, 2) I am a plasma guy, I like the picture I have gotten from my plasma tv's. Problem is they max out at 65" . I do want the extra screen size so I have been looking at LCD's. I have had the 80LE844U, and contrary to the love-fest over in the owners thread the PQ is on par with the 50G10 I bought 4 years ago that had horrible blacks. The crosstalk and ghosting on 3D movies made it unwatchable for 3D. I would have gotten the 70" Elite, but it seems like the Nov. 2012 final production run is like entering a lottery that you have little chance of winning. So I went with the 75ES9000. I may exchange for the demo model at the shop I got mine from as the edges and corners look better than mine. If it weren't for those issues it is a very good tv, although I don't think I will ever say it is a good value. I didn't buy it for value, I bought it for the PQ, so thats what I expect and so far it comes pretty close, but is not living up to the PQ I expect for the price.

I'm really sorry to hear about the lighter edges and occasional flashlighting on your set. That's a real shame. If you are certain that the demo model at the shop you purchased from does not have the same problems, I would highly recommend you switch out.

I previously owned a 55inch Samsung B8000 which suffered from some flashlighting and clouding. Once you know it's there, it's hard to accept the flaw. The picture was otherwise great, but I just couldn't be completely satisfied.

My ES9000 has been a game changer for me. I can honestly say that I'm completely satisfied with this television. I really have no flashlighting, clouding or even slightly lighter left and right edges on the set. Even in dark scenes with a bright center. The color uniformity is solid and I have been unable to detect any banding on the set at all.

So, is the set perfect? Well, not completely. I have noticed that when I have "Cinema Black" turned on and have a dark background with rolling credits, I sometimes get a pulsing between slightly lighter and darker where the black bars are underneath. It's kinda weird looking, but I have never noticed it during anything other than the rolling credits. If I notice it happening during regular scenes, I'd probably have to either turn off Cinema Black or re-evaluate my opinion of the set.

I sit about 9 feet from the screen. What I've also come to realize, is that from this distance, a 75 inch screen has the ability to much more completely immerse you in the movie. I have found myself going back and rewatching all of my bluray movies and it's almost like watching them for the first time again. You wouldn't think that the extra screen size could make that much of a difference, but it does!

I have a question for others on here who own the set. I read the "Home Theater" review that was linked earlier in this thread. It appears that I'm not the only one impressed with this television. However, I also dialed in the settings given at the end of the review. I've been spending a lot of time viewing the set with the new settings and for the most part, I'm pleased with the results. I've noticed that the colors look more natural versus the settings I was using before. Previously I had only made use of a DVD calibration disk I've had for some time.

What I'm having trouble with, is that the picture looks considerably darker to me. Almost like there's a grayish cast over the picture versus what it looked like before. Don't get me wrong, I now realize that the changes made by using the recommended settings in the article have made the colors look more lifelike and natural. It's just that there's more of a dull feel to it now. On balance I like the improvements more than what I think I've lost in "punch". So, I'll keep the new settings.

Have any other owners on here dialed in the recommended settings from the HT article? If so, I'd love to hear what your experience has been. I have never watched my televisions in "torch" mode. But, maybe I've just never really watched a picture that was truly calibrated close to what was intended.

If others have thoughts, please share.
post #246 of 309
Stocks4you, I've also tried them. Have not done extensive watching so far. But my first impressions are not too good. You are right. They seem to produce an image that is too dull. Have to see more material, but for now, I like it better per instance if I copy the settings of cnet for the ES8000.

Also some of the options they turn off, I think that having them on produce a better image.

I
post #247 of 309
Sorry pressed submit before intended.

I was saying that I actually find that Standard mode produces a better image in some movies. Blacks are better. But in some movies with grain, this setting produces too much of it. So what i do for now, is start in standard. If the movie is filmed with grain and the effect is too much, I normally change to movie mode.
post #248 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoks4you View Post

I'm really sorry to hear about the lighter edges and occasional flashlighting on your set. That's a real shame. If you are certain that the demo model at the shop you purchased from does not have the same problems, I would highly recommend you switch out.

I previously owned a 55inch Samsung B8000 which suffered from some flashlighting and clouding. Once you know it's there, it's hard to accept the flaw. The picture was otherwise great, but I just couldn't be completely satisfied.

My ES9000 has been a game changer for me. I can honestly say that I'm completely satisfied with this television. I really have no flashlighting, clouding or even slightly lighter left and right edges on the set. Even in dark scenes with a bright center. The color uniformity is solid and I have been unable to detect any banding on the set at all.

So, is the set perfect? Well, not completely. I have noticed that when I have "Cinema Black" turned on and have a dark background with rolling credits, I sometimes get a pulsing between slightly lighter and darker where the black bars are underneath. It's kinda weird looking, but I have never noticed it during anything other than the rolling credits. If I notice it happening during regular scenes, I'd probably have to either turn off Cinema Black or re-evaluate my opinion of the set.

I sit about 9 feet from the screen. What I've also come to realize, is that from this distance, a 75 inch screen has the ability to much more completely immerse you in the movie. I have found myself going back and rewatching all of my bluray movies and it's almost like watching them for the first time again. You wouldn't think that the extra screen size could make that much of a difference, but it does!

I have a question for others on here who own the set. I read the "Home Theater" review that was linked earlier in this thread. It appears that I'm not the only one impressed with this television. However, I also dialed in the settings given at the end of the review. I've been spending a lot of time viewing the set with the new settings and for the most part, I'm pleased with the results. I've noticed that the colors look more natural versus the settings I was using before. Previously I had only made use of a DVD calibration disk I've had for some time.

What I'm having trouble with, is that the picture looks considerably darker to me. Almost like there's a grayish cast over the picture versus what it looked like before. Don't get me wrong, I now realize that the changes made by using the recommended settings in the article have made the colors look more lifelike and natural. It's just that there's more of a dull feel to it now. On balance I like the improvements more than what I think I've lost in "punch". So, I'll keep the new settings.

Have any other owners on here dialed in the recommended settings from the HT article? If so, I'd love to hear what your experience has been. I have never watched my televisions in "torch" mode. But, maybe I've just never really watched a picture that was truly calibrated close to what was intended.

If others have thoughts, please share.

As a previous owner of many Samsung TV's, (including this one) I would find the problem anytime I used the "Cinema" or "Movie" mode. No matter how I tweaked the settings, it always had the grayish cast as you described. From then on, I calibrated mine using the "Standard" mode. Yes, you might lose a little bit of shadow detail, but the tradeoff to me was worth it. I'll lose a little shadow detail if it means keeping the punch and wow factor in my picture.
post #249 of 309
I also find standard the best picture, although I don't find it crushes any shadow detail compared to movie. I have standard set up as a day mode and movie set up as a night mode, and honestly they are really very close in most aspects the way I have them set up.
post #250 of 309
My TV showed up today. I didn't get too much time to mess with it, but it looks good to me. I haven't seen any clouding, banding or light bleed like I saw on my UN65C8000. I am happy so far.
post #251 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman013 View Post

My TV showed up today. I didn't get too much time to mess with it, but it looks good to me. I haven't seen any clouding, banding or light bleed like I saw on my UN65C8000. I am happy so far.

Congrats!!!
post #252 of 309
Anyone heard what's going to happen to the UN75ES9000?
It's currently the 2012 "Flagship" yet the F8000 is considered the 2013 "Flagship". You can't have two different led model flagships in the same year.

It seems the F8000 has all the features of the ES9000, including the 75" size.
The comparison of the F8000 vs ES9000 is more accurate then the F8000 vs ES8000
People are talking about the F8000 as the ES8000 replacement, when the F8000 seems to mimic the ES9000.

The 2013 Samsung line up does not list the UN75ES9000, which makes one think the UN75F8000 may be it's replacement.

Thoughts?
post #253 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Anyone heard what's going to happen to the UN75ES9000?
It's currently the 2012 "Flagship" yet the F8000 is considered the 2013 "Flagship". You can't have two different led model flagships in the same year.

It seems the F8000 has all the features of the ES9000, including the 75" size.
The comparison of the F8000 vs ES9000 is more accurate then the F8000 vs ES8000
People are talking about the F8000 as the ES8000 replacement, when the F8000 seems to mimic the ES9000.

The 2013 Samsung line up does not list the UN75ES9000, which makes one think the UN75F8000 may be it's replacement.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, there has been no confirmation as to if/when a 75" version of the F8000 is being released. I agree that the F8000's appear to be very similar to the ES9000 series with a couple of upgrades. I definitely prefer the look of the new sets. That curved stand combined with the ultra slim bezel makes for perhaps the sexiest looking set on the market.
post #254 of 309
22 march according to the F8000 thread, but its the same price as the 9000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Unfortunately, there has been no confirmation as to if/when a 75" version of the F8000 is being released. I agree that the F8000's appear to be very similar to the ES9000 series with a couple of upgrades. I definitely prefer the look of the new sets. That curved stand combined with the ultra slim bezel makes for perhaps the sexiest looking set on the market.
post #255 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninperth View Post

22 march according to the F8000 thread, but its the same price as the 9000.

Yep. I just commented in that thread. I think it's safe to assume the 75" F8000 is replacing the ES9000. If the F8000 really is coming out soon, I would expect to see them start closing out the 9000s. That being said, unless you can get an insane deal on the 9000, I think it makes sense to wait and buy the newer set. Based on the reviews we've seen so far of the 55" F8000, Samsung may have hit this one out of the park. I just hope the 75" version turns out to be as impressive as the smaller set. With 20 more inches, it may be a bit harder to pull off that edge lighting magic. smile.gif
post #256 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Yep. I just commented in that thread. I think it's safe to assume the 75" F8000 is replacing the ES9000. If the F8000 really is coming out soon, I would expect to see them start closing out the 9000s. That being said, unless you can get an insane deal on the 9000, I think it makes sense to wait and buy the newer set. Based on the reviews we've seen so far of the 55" F8000, Samsung may have hit this one out of the park. I just hope the 75" version turns out to be as impressive as the smaller set. With 20 more inches, it may be a bit harder to pull off that edge lighting magic. smile.gif

ES9000 lists for $10K, sells for 9.

F8000 lists for $9K, sells for 8.
post #257 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

ES9000 lists for $10K, sells for 9.

F8000 lists for $9K, sells for 8.

Yep. Unless I'm missing something, you would have to be insane to pay more for an ES9000 at this point. That's why I'm assuming we will soon see substantial discounts on them.
post #258 of 309
In
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

ES9000 lists for $10K, sells for 9.

F8000 lists for $9K, sells for 8.
In Australia the 9000 was going for 8k and we are normally a lot more expensive than every other country.
Unless the 9000 dropped from the 8-8.5k to around 7k I think I will just wait for the F8000 75
post #259 of 309
Thread Starter 
Prices are really dropping.
post #260 of 309
Apparently the 75" F8000 come out on the 21/22 of March, so I am sure that is driving prices down.
post #261 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred1973 View Post

Apparently the 75" F8000 come out on the 21/22 of March, so I am sure that is driving prices down.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that March release date. I think they pulled that out of you-know where.... rolleyes.gif

No way it comes out before the 65".

Not that I'd mind--I have one on pre-order. cool.gif
post #262 of 309
I agree. That wouldn't make much sense that the 75 would be ready prior to the 60 and 65 as I assume they will sell significantly more of those smaller sizes than the 75, hence wanting to get it on shelves faster.
post #263 of 309
I thought it odd as well, given that up here in Canada the 75ES9000 didn't hit streets until August/September, so its only halfway through its cycle at this point. But you all know how the release dates are "leaked" then pulled back.... I have a ZT60 on pre-order, but its going to be hard giving up the inches. I found a movie that is complete deal breaker on the es9000. Apocalypse Now, Full Disclosure Edition on bluray. The scene near the end with Colonel Kurtz giving his speech, HORRIBLE. The dimming was going crazy, 3/4 of the screen was pitch black with the dimming kicking in, turning off the dimming just made a grey soup with nothing but the face visible. The dimming was hilarious as it was like a wiper coming in from the edges, and the top.
post #264 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred1973 View Post

I thought it odd as well, given that up here in Canada the 75ES9000 didn't hit streets until August/September, so its only halfway through its cycle at this point. But you all know how the release dates are "leaked" then pulled back.... I have a ZT60 on pre-order, but its going to be hard giving up the inches. I found a movie that is complete deal breaker on the es9000. Apocalypse Now, Full Disclosure Edition on bluray. The scene near the end with Colonel Kurtz giving his speech, HORRIBLE. The dimming was going crazy, 3/4 of the screen was pitch black with the dimming kicking in, turning off the dimming just made a grey soup with nothing but the face visible. The dimming was hilarious as it was like a wiper coming in from the edges, and the top.

This sounds like this is the dreaded "CE dimming" that everyone talks about. It's disheartening to hear that it is bad on the ES9000. This makes me fear that it could be an issue with the new F8000s as well. I was hoping the 2013 sets wouldn't have this problem, as I was planning on buying a 75" F8000 when they come out. Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
post #265 of 309
Could be the Smart LED.... think cinema black only does the bars at the top and bottom. It was hilarious for the first 2 seconds, it really was like a black wiper starting from the edge and moving inwards, but after 2 or 3 seconds 3/4 of the screen was completely black, but it was "boxy" ,the edges were straight lines. I did try fiddling with a few settings, but nothing made it watchable. Lucky for me I have seen Apocalypse Now...ohhh maybe 20 times so I just groaned and laughed, but if it had been my first time seeing it, it would have completely ruined the movie as that speech is kind of important to the whole conclusion of the movie.
post #266 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred1973 View Post

Could be the Smart LED....

Isn't Smart LED defeatable in the menu? The Samsungs have so many different types of dimming technologies that it's hard to keep them all straight.
post #267 of 309
Thread Starter 
I had some problems in very dark scenes of The Following. Faces got strange and pixelated just for a moment. I adjusted Smart Led to low and the problem went away.
Edited by remlee - 3/19/13 at 5:03pm
post #268 of 309
Yes Smart LED is defeatable, but like I mentioned in my previous post, when I turned off all the dimming stuff, the image was just a gray soup with Brando's face in the lower middle LOL
post #269 of 309
bump
post #270 of 309
Abt is now taking preorders for all 3 of the 75" models.

$5000 for the F6400
$6000 for the F7100
$8000 for the F8000

Interesting. I wonder what real PQ differences there are. I couldn't give a rats ass about smart stuff, apps, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UN75ES9000 Thread