or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › MakeMKV settings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MakeMKV settings

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'm using media browser and ripped a dvd to test and everything works great. File ended up 2gb for Goodfellas.
I'm going to buy a Blu-ray burner but wanted to keep the audio and video quality the same. Will switching it to a mkv lose some of the AQ and PQ?

My settings in Makemkv are, compress to mkv, audio passthrough, 1080p and high quality. I wasn't sure if picking "original format" was the one I needed for, output format ,for it to be untouched. What size files am I looking at for a bluray movie?

Forgot to mention it seemed like it took hours for it to rip. I ended up going to bed before it ended so not sure total time but thought it said 2hrs after it copied the movie and spit it out and that was about 30-60 minutes. So it was close to 3-4 hours for a dvd. What times can I expect for a blu ray. Here is the PC I built a few years back,

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ...

Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC ...

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black ...

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
Edited by BMLocal175 - 7/21/12 at 11:49am
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

I'm using media browser and ripped a dvd to test and everything works great. File ended up 2gb for Goodfellas.
I'm going to buy a Blu-ray burner but wanted to keep the audio and video quality the same. Will switching it to a mkv lose some of the AQ and PQ?
My settings in Makemkv are, compress to mkv, audio passthrough, 1080p and high quality. I wasn't sure if picking "original format" was the one I needed for, output format ,for it to be untouched. What size files am I looking at for a bluray movie?
Forgot to mention it seemed like it took hours for it to rip. I ended up going to bed before it ended so not sure total time but thought it said 2hrs after it copied the movie and spit it out and that was about 30-60 minutes. So it was close to 3-4 hours for a dvd. What times can I expect for a blu ray. Here is the PC I built a few years back,
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ...
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC ...
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black ...
GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM

Something not quite right here. Doesn't sound like your using MakeMKV because it doesn't encode to smaller file sizes - it rips 1 to 1 copies

A dvd rip with MakeMKV shouldn't take anymore than about 20-25 minutes.

Encoding by other software to compress file size can as you have found out take some considerable time and is very dependant on the cpu 'power' of your pc. Your timings certainly aren't uncommom when encoding.

MKV is only the container for the file, what you decide to do with the file will decide whether you lose AQ and VQ - compress it too much and you will.

Might want to check what software you are actually using and look for further advice after that.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
I've followed this guys tutorials and it has gotten me up and running so maybe if someone can take a look at this video and tell me if this is correct. I do wish to have AQ and PQ the same as whats on the Bluray. What steps can I eliminate if any to achieve what I'm looking for in this type of setup. I've followed all his videos so I'm pretty much a carbon copy of what he is running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN2FP62Hm8A&feature=plcp
post #4 of 16
OK, basically your using MakeMKV to rip the disc and remove any copy protection, after which your compressing (encoding the file) to reduce the file size.

If you want the same quality as BR - just use MakeMKV as a stand-alone application - there's no need for anything further. This will give you a 1 to 1 copy.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
So what I'm doing now is making the file smaller and reducing AQ and PQ? Can I even tell the difference? So a 1:1 would be about 30-50 gigs per movie?
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

So what I'm doing now is making the file smaller and reducing AQ and PQ? Can I even tell the difference? So a 1:1 would be about 30-50 gigs per movie?

As far as AQ / PQ ? That is subjective . You really just need to try it out and see if you really notice the difference . Most average ( i mean non picky folks) will be fine with the compression. Experiment a bit . That's half the fun of htpc to begin with cool.gif

As far as size goes at a 1:1 , ya depending on the length of the movie and what all you enable IE sub titles etc ... your about right on the size . Since you apparently have a rather small hd for your htpc you may want to shrink your BD rips and "deal " with the quality
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

So what I'm doing now is making the file smaller and reducing AQ and PQ? Can I even tell the difference? So a 1:1 would be about 30-50 gigs per movie?

Certainly reducing in size

You tell me if you can tell the difference, how would I or anyone else know whether you did. Some say they do others not. 'subjective' as flocko says.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
I ripped goodfellas again this time a 1 for 1(6GB). I have a 3 screen setup so I had both versions playing at the same time same spot. I saw no difference even pausing in the same spots. They looked the same. Will have to try a blu ray when I get my burner to see if the results look the same. I will also have to see if there is a difference on my 80". Waiting for HDMI cord to come.
post #9 of 16
6 GB is certainly not a 1 to 1 rip of any BluRay movie and certainly not Goodfellas - my main movie rip of Goodfellas came out at 22.48 GB, so unlikely yours is a 1 to 1 rip at that size. If you see no reduction in picture quality at that level then no point to ripping 1 to1 - conserve space and reduce size.

So in the absence of a BluRay writer/burner, how exactly are you ripping these movies? or shouldn't I ask?
post #10 of 16
his 1 to 1 was for a DVD 0f Goodfellas, not a Bluray.
post #11 of 16
I have seen bluray rips that have been compressed to 7-10GB that look very very good.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

6 GB is certainly not a 1 to 1 rip of any BluRay movie and certainly not Goodfellas - my main movie rip of Goodfellas came out at 22.48 GB, so unlikely yours is a 1 to 1 rip at that size. If you see no reduction in picture quality at that level then no point to ripping 1 to1 - conserve space and reduce size.
So in the absence of a BluRay writer/burner, how exactly are you ripping these movies? or shouldn't I ask?

Yeah it was a dvd. Just testing everything with that to see if it was something I wanted to pursue. Bluray drive is on its way.
post #13 of 16
Oops sorry my bad - teach me to read more carefully in future.redface.gif

+1 with assassin on quality of some compressed files, if you're prepared to sacrifice the time to encode.
post #14 of 16
A standard DVD is not a good source for this type of comparison. For one thing a DVD is encoded using MPEG2 which is not as efficient as H264. It is well known that by re-encoding a standard DVD to h264 one can reduce the file size significantly while still maintaing the original quality. Most blu-rays are already encoded using h264 so re-encoding does not change the encoder, it just reduces the resolution/bit-rate to achieve smaller file sizes.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

OK, basically your using MakeMKV to rip the disc and remove any copy protection, after which your compressing (encoding the file) to reduce the file size.
If you want the same quality as BR - just use MakeMKV as a stand-alone application - there's no need for anything further. This will give you a 1 to 1 copy.

THIS!
post #16 of 16
If you really want to reduce size, try this 'uncropMKV' - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145905 - just used it to downsize a number of TV episodes to 720p works great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › MakeMKV settings