or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Pioneer SC-68/67 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer SC-68/67 Thread - Page 57

post #1681 of 1835
Has anyone ever had expierence with KEF Q900 and an SC-67? If so please share your comments.
post #1682 of 1835
Not too many people here will have that setup if any at all... You should try and demo it somewhere that sells them... KEFs are rare for HT use...
post #1683 of 1835
Why are they rare?
post #1684 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post

Why are they rare?
Expensive
post #1685 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post

Why are they rare?

KEFs are not sold in most stores other than specialty shops. They are expensive and not a known brand for most people. I can see JBL, Polks, Def Tech and the sort, but British brands are rare.

If you ask someone what brands of AVRs are out there, they will mention Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, but rarely will you hear someone say Arcam or Sherbourne.
post #1686 of 1835
Kefs are quite good at balance between music and HT. Of course, speakers are personal preference so one needs to decide on their own.
post #1687 of 1835
Double Diamond Electronics. Wicked customer service!! Amazing prices. Ask for Rick. Tell him Jeremy sent you!
post #1688 of 1835
I have sc65 with xqs5.0. Very detail, but lean on bass. With good subs, they will be an awesome combo.
post #1689 of 1835
I have a new problem that I can't seem to get to the bottom of. When I connect my Retina MacBook Pro to the AVR, one of two things happens. If my PJ is switched on I get a second screen on the PJ screen but no option to output audio via HDMI, if my PJ is switched off the AVR shows up in the list of sound output devices and I can output audio over HDMI. I've tried switching things on and of in various different orders but at no point can I get my rMBP to send a picture AND audio over HDMI. Frustrating!!

Any ideas?
post #1690 of 1835
I have an old Samsung center channel I want to use until I can get a new one. But the center channel has 4 terminals going out of it and my SC67 only has 2 terminals for the center channel.... Do I just wire both positives into the single terminal and same for negative??? or what else can I do? Also will be hooking up a couple of old pioneer rears as well... do I have to re-do my MCACC settings? and if so can I just pick a free channel so I don't over write my stereo settings?
post #1691 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post

I have an old Samsung center channel I want to use until I can get a new one. But the center channel has 4 terminals going out of it and my SC67 only has 2 terminals for the center channel.... Do I just wire both positives into the single terminal and same for negative??? or what else can I do? Also will be hooking up a couple of old pioneer rears as well... do I have to re-do my MCACC settings? and if so can I just pick a free channel so I don't over write my stereo settings?


The center channel is a samsung ps-CTQ72.
post #1692 of 1835
I have a couple KEF Q900 I am running with pioneer sub, just wanting to know if bi-amping the speakers will give more better sound?
post #1693 of 1835
Hi Jer,
Regarding re-do MCACC or not, if yo are adding or changing the rears and center speakers then you should re-do it. Assuming you have done it already on your fronts, you can choose not to re-do it if you only plan to listen to the fronts but I presume that won't make sense to you. However, if you are only changing the cables, then you won't need to re-do it because whatever the difference the cables can make won't be much.

I don't know your particular center speaker, but many speakers have 4 terminal posts so people can choose to "bi-wire" (two posts for the higher frequency driver and two posts for the lower frequency driver). From what I understand, "bi-wire" only makes sense if you are driving the two drivers with two different amps. If both drivers are using the same amp (I assume this is your case) then it would not make a difference (although there are people who claim that it does). For most of the people, you simply use a jumper (a very short speaker cable) to bridge the two pair of posts (+ to + and - to -) so that you only need to pull one pair of cables from the amp to the center speaker.
post #1694 of 1835
Hello. I'm late to the party and just picked a new SC-67. I will replace my VSX-47TX
I'm pulling my hair out trying to set this receiver up.
I have a Media Center PC (macbook) as my primary source content.
The ouputs are DVI and Toslink
I have a DVI to HDMI adapter and cable going from the HTPC to the receiver, and an optical cable for audio going to the receiver.
I have video but no audio. Or vise versa….
If I go into the input setup. I see the input that is selected on the receiver.
The HDMI input is set to "DVR"
The Optical input is set to optical "input 2, DVR"
My cables are connected to those inputs as well
No sound - Only video
If I rotate the input Knob on the left side of the receiver to "TV", I get audio but no video. Ok no problem I'll use the TV inputs
I go into the input setup. I see the audio is set to "Optical "2"
Makes sense, that’s the same input my cable is plugged into, and I have sound….
I see the HDMI is set to "TV"..... Ok, I can use the TV input... So I pull my HDMI cable from the DVR input and plug it into the TV input. Everything matches up. Should work like a charm right?
Nope. I exit the menu and I have Video and no sound. My audio has again left for a different input.
I'm lost...frown.gif
post #1695 of 1835
IIRC DVI only transmits video. No audio. You would have to send audio out from your PC's sound card or equivalent motherboard output.
post #1696 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

IIRC DVI only transmits video. No audio. You would have to send audio out from your PC's sound card or equivalent motherboard output.

Thanks for the response.

I am using the DVI to HDMI for video only.
I am using the Toslink (optical) for the audio.

Sorry if the post is confusing. I just can't get audio and video at the same time. Only one or the other.
Even with the Input setup as:
Video: HDMI
Audio: Optical
post #1697 of 1835
I'm not sure about the Pioneer AVR. I'm away from home and can't check my manual but with some AVRs you can't have HDMI and something different for audio on the same input selection. There is an assumption is
that HDMI is sending both audio and video.
post #1698 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I'm not sure about the Pioneer AVR. I'm away from home and can't check my manual but with some AVRs you can't have HDMI and something different for audio on the same input selection. There is an assumption is
that HDMI is sending both audio and video.

Thanks for your help. After 4 day of messing with this, you may be right....

I think that's exactly the problem. I have an HDMI cable going to the input, (any of them), so it assumes there is audio is included in that cable and doesn't recognize the optical of audio, or any other.

I have found a temporary solution, and a permanent solution.

Temporary: - Run the HDMI, from the Media center, directly to the TV for video, and optical through the receiver, for audio.

Permanent - Get a new Media center with HDMI out. Done.
post #1699 of 1835
Your temporary solution is exactly what I would have recommended. Glad you found a workaround.
post #1700 of 1835
I have a Pioneer SC-LX-76 9.2 Surround receiver
I have 9 speakers from Klipsch and 2 subs from klipsch
my question is can i get better surround then this?
i dont use amplifiers
I play my movies with a computer with a asus Xonar D2 7.1
is this a good way to play movies ?
do i need amplifiers to get a better surround ?
is it an option to buy Cambridge audio Dacmagic ?

maybe you have some suggestions
here is my setup

http://youtu.be/54vhYk3kVhk

thanks
post #1701 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender012 View Post

I have a Pioneer SC-LX-76 9.2 Surround receiver
I have 9 speakers from Klipsch and 2 subs from klipsch
my question is can i get better surround then this?
i dont use amplifiers
I play my movies with a computer with a asus Xonar D2 7.1
is this a good way to play movies ?
do i need amplifiers to get a better surround ?
is it an option to buy Cambridge audio Dacmagic ?

maybe you have some suggestions
here is my setup

http://youtu.be/54vhYk3kVhk

thanks
The best surround comes from Blue-Rays with DTS-master 7.1/5.1 and a player like the Oppo BDP-103/105.
post #1702 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfracerx View Post

Thanks for your help. After 4 day of messing with this, you may be right....

I think that's exactly the problem. I have an HDMI cable going to the input, (any of them), so it assumes there is audio is included in that cable and doesn't recognize the optical of audio, or any other.

I have found a temporary solution, and a permanent solution.

Temporary: - Run the HDMI, from the Media center, directly to the TV for video, and optical through the receiver, for audio.

Permanent - Get a new Media center with HDMI out. Done.

So I wrote to Pioneer and they responded the very next day. It turns out it DOES work! All I had to do was press the receiver button on the remote, and then input select several times until "DIGITAL" showed up on my TV. Very impressed with Pioneer's customer service!
Thanks for your help guys! I can start to really enjoy this receiver now. :-)
post #1703 of 1835
Thread Starter 
^^
glad you got your answer...I almost posted this but thought that you had tried it already from your posts.

and for the record, it's clearly described in the manual, on pages 12 & 60 smile.gif even has the button shown in the remote diagram with a link to pg 60 where it's described.

by default, the audio for all inputs is set to Auto which priortizes the input as follows: HDMI >> Digital >> Analog. as you found out, the only way to get the secondary audio signal to be recognized if you have 2 connected, is to manually select it instead of Auto.

the lesson, time & time again, is to check the manual when setup problems occur. the vast majority of the time, the answer is in there, saving you countless hours of anguish, frustration and (ahem) not productive posting & replying wink.gif if reading the manual doesn't "fix" it, then that's a great time to seek outside help here smile.gif
post #1704 of 1835
Hello guys.

I'm considering the following setup: RECEIVER PIONEER SC-68 + KEF R300 FRONT + KEF R600 CENTER + KEF Q300 SURROUND + SUNFIRE HRS 12 SUBWOOFER. In the future i'm gonna build a dedicated HT room. That's why a want a "future proof" setup. Do you think it's a nice setup ? The receiver pioneer sc-68 gives a good result with KEF speakers ?

Thanks
post #1705 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioMC View Post

Hello guys.

I'm considering the following setup: RECEIVER PIONEER SC-68 + KEF R300 FRONT + KEF R600 CENTER + KEF Q300 SURROUND + SUNFIRE HRS 12 SUBWOOFER. In the future i'm gonna build a dedicated HT room. That's why a want a "future proof" setup. Do you think it's a nice setup ? The receiver pioneer sc-68 gives a good result with KEF speakers ?

Thanks


I am running an SC-67 with a couple of Q900's. They sound great but not very much low end.... get a good sub and you will have no problem. Let me know how it work's out for you.
post #1706 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Not too many people here will have that setup if any at all... You should try and demo it somewhere that sells them... KEFs are rare for HT use...

I beg to differ my friend! http://imgur.com/a/LtNXw

I run a pair of KEF XQ20's and the XQ50c center all bi-amped with the SC-67, quite simply, they sound amazing together. jer181, glad to hear you like your KEF's. FabioMC, running those R Series on the SC-68 will sound amazing (and look even better), enjoy!

-Lee
post #1707 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedash13 View Post

I beg to differ my friend! http://imgur.com/a/LtNXw

I run a pair of KEF XQ20's and the XQ50c center all bi-amped with the SC-67, quite simply, they sound amazing together. jer181, glad to hear you like your KEF's. FabioMC, running those R Series on the SC-68 will sound amazing (and look even better), enjoy!

-Lee

I would be interested to see how you ran your MCACC settings. The sound is good with my SC-67, KEF Q900 and 85W old pioneer sub, but I am not amazing by the sound.... maybe I have a setting wrong or something... I have been banging my head with this setup since I bought it a month ago.
post #1708 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post

The sound is good with my SC-67, KEF Q900 and 85W old pioneer sub, but I am not amazing by the sound.... maybe I have a setting wrong or something...

jer181, to be completely honest, I don't think it's the MCACC, I auditioned the KEF Q series while searching for speakers and I was not impressed. Despite both being KEF, the XQ (which was the previous generation) and the Q series sound drastically different. Many felt that when the XQ series launched, the sound was to bright, too much at the high-end. That type of sound was personally what I was looking for, so I love the XQ's. I think what happened though is for the Q's, they went a little too far in the opposite direction. To me the high-end felt non-existent, not just 'warm' or 'controlled'. I also auditioned the R series which was definitely better than the Q, but still not (IMO) exactly where the XQ was in terms of high-end detail, transparency, and excitement.

That being said, I keep my MCACC settings to a minimum, often running pure-direct with no EQ, Phase Control, etc. As great as MCACC is, you should judge speakers on what they sound like simply powered by an amp (especially one as good as the D3 in our receiver) then add on DSP if it helps.

How long have you owned the Q900's and where/how did you purchase them?
post #1709 of 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedash13 View Post

jer181, to be completely honest, I don't think it's the MCACC, I auditioned the KEF Q series while searching for speakers and I was not impressed. Despite both being KEF, the XQ (which was the previous generation) and the Q series sound drastically different. Many felt that when the XQ series launched, the sound was to bright, too much at the high-end. That type of sound was personally what I was looking for, so I love the XQ's. I think what happened though is for the Q's, they went a little too far in the opposite direction. To me the high-end felt non-existent, not just 'warm' or 'controlled'. I also auditioned the R series which was definitely better than the Q, but still not (IMO) exactly where the XQ was in terms of high-end detail, transparency, and excitement.

That being said, I keep my MCACC settings to a minimum, often running pure-direct with no EQ, Phase Control, etc. As great as MCACC is, you should judge speakers on what they sound like simply powered by an amp (especially one as good as the D3 in our receiver) then add on DSP if it helps.

How long have you owned the Q900's and where/how did you purchase them?

I have owned them for not even a full month yet. I ordered them from a wholesaler ($650 CAN each), as well as the SC-67 at the same time, from the same place ($1,125 CAN). Good deals from what everyone else here was selling them for. I went and heard the KEF Q900 at Vision's Electronics before I bought them else where. At the store they were hooked up to a Onkyo TX.NR828 and nothing else, no sub, nothing and I thought they sounded great.
post #1710 of 1835
Hmmm, well that receiver is certainly comparable power wise, I don't think that's the issue. But is it possible that there were extra EQ or DSP settings on at the time that you auditioned at Vision's Electronics? Also keep in mind that you're still in the process of 'breaking in' your speakers if it's only been a matter of weeks since you purchased them. The pair you demoed in store were probably well broken in at that time. I know some people scoff at the idea of speaker break-in, but those Q900's definitely may noticeably change after about 60-100 hours of use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Pioneer SC-68/67 Thread