or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin Thin Mini-ITX Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin Thin Mini-ITX Project - Page 2

post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Very nice! You could probably consolidate that even further using a 1U heatsink/fan and have an even smaller case...I have no use for another computer in the house, but that is sufficiently cool that I want one anyway.
Looking at the board a bit closer, it's actually got room for a PCI-E riser, so a discrete video card could be connected (single slot) and still maintain the size of that case. Ugh.. can't afford any more projects for awhile!

The Intel heatsink is lower profile then a 1U heatsink. Not saying it wont fit in that case (not sure). I have both (a 1U heatsink, and that case) so I could try it. A 1U PCI-E Riser card won't fit in the case, so the 1U heatsink might not fit. A PCI-E ribbon cable will though.

Here's so pics of my modified PC-Q05 case if anyone is interested https://picasaweb.google.com/104979206991404158659/HTPCLianLiPCQ05?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I changed up my build, combining my NAS and my HTPC into a PC-Q16 case (modified) https://picasaweb.google.com/104979206991404158659/HTPCNASLianLiPCQ16?authuser=0&feat=directlink The PC-Q16 now has the Ceton tuner in it too, but I haven't gotten around to making my custom support for it pretty or taken any pics of it.
post #32 of 70
Yes, I am aware of the ribbon cable . I was really just speaking of the case used in the thread but yes if the cut out was on the rear it would surely work . Ha ... a htpc in a 1u server case . Now there is a thought
post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

The Intel heatsink is lower profile then a 1U heatsink. Not saying it wont fit in that case (not sure). I have both (a 1U heatsink, and that case) so I could try it. A 1U PCI-E Riser card won't fit in the case, so the 1U heatsink might not fit. A PCI-E ribbon cable will though.
Here's so pics of my modified PC-Q05 case if anyone is interested https://picasaweb.google.com/104979206991404158659/HTPCLianLiPCQ05?authuser=0&feat=directlink
I changed up my build, combining my NAS and my HTPC into a PC-Q16 case (modified) https://picasaweb.google.com/104979206991404158659/HTPCNASLianLiPCQ16?authuser=0&feat=directlink The PC-Q16 now has the Ceton tuner in it too, but I haven't gotten around to making my custom support for it pretty or taken any pics of it.

Yep ... I was linked the Ceton mod by Assassin during on of my curiosity seeking modes .

Really nice work there !!
post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

I really like it when someone is not afraid to step over the line a tad bit on a build like this . It really lends itself to some new way's of thinking and testing . Nice post and even more ... NICE build cool.gif

I am really impressed with those cpu temps . Are those "loaded" temps ? For example , maybe under a normally intensive htpc activity

Not really load temps. Just typical temps while doing HTPC-centric tasks, the most stressing of which are web browsing and program installation. At ambient temp 26C, idle core temps 40C and load core temps 80C. Didn't really fiddle with the default fan settings since it's pretty quiet by default. I ran IBT (Linpack) and the fan only ramped up when the CPU hit 80C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Very nice! You could probably consolidate that even further using a 1U heatsink/fan and have an even smaller case...I have no use for another computer in the house, but that is sufficiently cool that I want one anyway.

Looking at the board a bit closer, it's actually got room for a PCI-E riser, so a discrete video card could be connected (single slot) and still maintain the size of that case. Ugh.. can't afford any more projects for awhile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

I'm curious ? How would you put a single slot discrete video card in a case that is 1.85" thick ?

PC-Q05 doesn't have room for a PCI-E riser. You'd have to dremel it to fit one. You'd need one of those flexible risers and the only place to put it is in the space beside the heatsink (which I think was designed for air intake).

As for the cooler, I do believe the Intel Standard Thermal Solution HTS1155LP (required for the PC-Q05) is already 1U-compatible as far as height goes. The issue is it has very specific layout requirements to using this heatsink so your run of the mill 1U case might not work.
post #35 of 70
As always, it's fun to spec out builds.

First here's what I have right now:
  • Case: Lian Li PC-Q05, $80
  • PSU: Mini-Box 19V/160W AC/DC Adapter, $50
  • MB: Intel DQ77KB, $140
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-3450S 2.8GHz, $200
  • GPU: integrated Intel HD 2500 Graphics, $0
  • RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333, $85
  • HSF: Intel Standard Thermal Solution, $25
  • HDD: Crucial m4 mSATA 128GBGB, $120 (just ordered for use as OS drive)
  • HDD: Samsung 830 256GB, $190
  • TOTAL: $890 (before taxes and shipping)


Now for some lower cost options:
  • Case: Lian Li PC-Q05, $80
  • PSU: Mini-Box 19V/160W AC/DC Adapter, $50
  • MB: Intel DH61AG, $100
  • CPU: Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz, $50
  • GPU: integrated Intel HD Graphics, $0
  • RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600, $40
  • HSF: Intel Standard Thermal Solution, $25
  • HDD: 120/128GB SSD, $100
  • TOTAL: $445 (before taxes and shipping), $465 w/mSATA

CPU upgrade options:
  • CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.7GHz, ($65) +$15
  • GPU: integrated Intel HD Graphics, $0
  • TOTAL: $460 (before taxes and shipping), $480 w/mSATA

  • CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz, ($125) +$75
  • GPU: integrated Intel HD 2000 Graphics, $0
  • TOTAL: $520 (before taxes and shipping), $540 w/mSATA

  • CPU: Intel Core i5-3450S 2.8GHz, ($200) +$150
  • GPU: integrated Intel HD 2500 Graphics, $0
  • TOTAL: $595 (before taxes and shipping), $615 w/mSATA


Hmm, prices are actually pretty reasonable. Just around 3 years ago, $500 for Mini-ITX would get you an nVIDIA ION/Atom 330 with 4GB RAM. You'd be lucky if you can fit even a 30-40GB SSD into that budget. Nowadays, we're getting veritable powerhouses in comparison.
post #36 of 70
I'm looking to do an ITX build and would like to make this my primary htpc. In this case I would have an ssd for my OS and then another HD to use for DVR purposes. Would an additional HD fit in these slim cases?
post #37 of 70
I believe that PC-Q05, and many of these ITX cases, are designed to handle two 2.5" drives, which means they will easily handle an SSD plus a notebook drive, so you could include a 1TB 2.5" drive if you wanted.

In some of them you might be able to squeeze in the SSD into some unplanned location with velcro tape and then include two 2.5" hard drives.

You need to check each particular case.
post #38 of 70
Thanks for the confirmation. I'll go ahead and take the plunge then. Ordering my i3-2125 from frys to start the build.
post #39 of 70
You could actually use up to 3 drives on the PC-Q05 without any hackery since most of the thin Mini-ITX boards appear to have mSATA slots.

mSATA: OS+Programs SSD
2x2.5": Data HDD
post #40 of 70
Been wanting to see a build with this case for awhile.

Also looks like we have the same TV, is that the ST50?
post #41 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Been wanting to see a build with this case for awhile.
Also looks like we have the same TV, is that the ST50?

It's the panny 65st50. Love it.
post #42 of 70
Thanks all. Now to start buying my parts. This should be nice small htpc.
post #43 of 70
I just joined the ST50 club myself (55ST50) and am currently breaking in the panel following D-Nice's slides and settings. Anxious to pair this with my new upcoming htpc.
post #44 of 70
Hey assassin, what power consumption values are you getting with your build?
post #45 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Hey assassin, what power consumption values are you getting with your build?

I sent it off to the person I built it for (I was sad to see it go). I didn't test it before as he is going to test with a kill-a-watt and let me know.

So I will update in this thread ASAP.
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I sent it off to the person I built it for (I was sad to see it go). I didn't test it before as he is going to test with a kill-a-watt and let me know.
So I will update in this thread ASAP.

Cool, thanks! I'm a wee bit disappointed with the power consumption values I'm getting (25W typical use, 19W idle) and I'm just wondering if dual-core would use lower power (not that I'm willing to downgrade my CPU).
post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I sent it off to the person I built it for (I was sad to see it go). I didn't test it before as he is going to test with a kill-a-watt and let me know.
So I will update in this thread ASAP.

Sorry your sad to see it go but your loss is my gain biggrin.gif

The new htpc .... aka "Tiny" is going to be fired up tomorrow night as I did not have a spare hdmi cable to work with

Tiny will replace my current htpc that was never intended for this use as it is way over powered (loud and hot) but was a real nice foray into my first htpc .

This weekend I will proceed with the htpc software installations .

Yes , I will do some testing with my kilo-watt meter and let everyone know how it goes .

As usual the build quality is above top notch !!!

Thanks ASSASSIN
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Cool, thanks! I'm a wee bit disappointed with the power consumption values I'm getting (25W typical use, 19W idle) and I'm just wondering if dual-core would use lower power (not that I'm willing to downgrade my CPU).

25W during use is pretty fantastic for a full blown x86 PC if you ask me. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, the idea of building a mini-ITX system with a small SSD running Windows 8 and strapping it to the back of a touchscreen monitor is starting to form. Would make for a really nice setup in the kitchen, actually.. Blast this hobby! So expensive!
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

You could actually use up to 3 drives on the PC-Q05 without any hackery since most of the thin Mini-ITX boards appear to have mSATA slots.
mSATA: OS+Programs SSD
2x2.5": Data HDD

Yep , you sure could .

I actually looked at a micro ssd for this htpc . The tech is still a bit new and therefore pricey . $ 175 for 80 gigs eek.gif
Yes, they make a 40 gig version but don't think that size would suit me for any real gains and still expensive for what it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167040
post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

25W during use is pretty fantastic for a full blown x86 PC if you ask me. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, the idea of building a mini-ITX system with a small SSD running Windows 8 and strapping it to the back of a touchscreen monitor is starting to form. Would make for a really nice setup in the kitchen, actually.. Blast this hobby! So expensive!

Yeah, I realize that particularly since I'm using a quad. However, I was hoping to see sub- or low 20's power consumption. tongue.gif
post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Yep , you sure could .

I actually looked at a micro ssd for this htpc . The tech is still a bit new and therefore pricey . $ 175 for 80 gigs eek.gif
Yes, they make a 40 gig version but don't think that size would suit me for any real gains and still expensive for what it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167040

Nah. Intel's just expensive. Crucial m4 128GB mSATA is ~$120. Crucial.com actually had a 15% off coupon available when the SSD first became available so you could've gotten it for $100.
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Nah. Intel's just expensive. Crucial m4 128GB mSATA is ~$120. Crucial.com actually had a 15% off coupon available when the SSD first became available so you could've gotten it for $100.

Were talking micro ssd here not standard size ssd .
post #53 of 70
1 x Intel HTS1155LP CPU Cooler

1 x LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-Q05B Mini ITX Media Center / HTPC Case

1 x Intel BOXDH77DF LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

1 x Intel Core i5-3450S Ivy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics ...

1 x CORSAIR 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Laptop Memory Model CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9

1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

1 x Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) FOR O/S ONLY

1 x Mini-Box 19V/160W AC/DC Adapter


Total (includes tax and shipping) $774.93



NOTE: Newegg states that:

LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-Q05B Mini ITX Media Center / HTPC Case

Motherboard Compatibility For intel DH-61AG only



Did you have any problems with the BOXDH77DF vs Intel® Desktop Board DH61AG in regard to the PC-Q05B???


Purchased all parts about 1 month ago just have not built this one yet.
post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Were talking micro ssd here not standard size ssd .

Yeah, I know, mSATA (same connector as Mini-PCIe). Here's the link to the 128GB Crucial m4 mSATA: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT128M4SSD3

Their 256GB mSATA is also reasonably priced at $226: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT256M4SSD3

Intel's not the only game in town anymore. On the SandForce side, there's the OCZ Nocti and Mushkin Atlas. Samsung has the PM830 but I've yet to see it in retail channels. Crucial confusingly named their mSATA drives same as their normal 2.5" models but yes, they do have mSATA.
post #55 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Hey assassin, what power consumption values are you getting with your build?
It's not the exact same hardware, but fairly similar system in my bedroom with a DH61AG with a G620T, 64GB mSATA drive, and 4GB memory. The highest I've seen it run with anything HTPC related was 31 watts.
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

It's not the exact same hardware, but fairly similar system in my bedroom with a DH61AG with a G620T, 64GB mSATA drive, and 4GB memory. The highest I've seen it run with anything HTPC related was 31 watts.

Cool. Thanks. What's your idle and average power consumption like? I don't think I've seen my build even hit 30W during HTPC usage, then again, I use it mainly for OTA/ATSC and haven't actually tried playing Blu-ray on it yet. Power consumption on mine is pretty steady at 25-28W.
post #57 of 70
I'll have to look when I get home. Don't have those numbers handy right off hand and the kill-a-watt is on the server right now so can't have the kids look.
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Yeah, I know, mSATA (same connector as Mini-PCIe). Here's the link to the 128GB Crucial m4 mSATA: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT128M4SSD3
Their 256GB mSATA is also reasonably priced at $226: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT256M4SSD3
Intel's not the only game in town anymore. On the SandForce side, there's the OCZ Nocti and Mushkin Atlas. Samsung has the PM830 but I've yet to see it in retail channels. Crucial confusingly named their mSATA drives same as their normal 2.5" models but yes, they do have mSATA.

EXCELLENT info !! Thank You very much cool.gif
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Cool. Thanks. What's your idle and average power consumption like? I don't think I've seen my build even hit 30W during HTPC usage, then again, I use it mainly for OTA/ATSC and haven't actually tried playing Blu-ray on it yet. Power consumption on mine is pretty steady at 25-28W.
Sleep was 3 watts, idle was 18 watts (just sitting at the default blue Media Browser opening screen). Watching a 1080p mkv, it bounced around between 22 and 24 watts. Booting it did reach 31 for a second or two and a split second at 33 watts, but it was kind of bouncing around and was quickly back down to the mid 20s by the time the GUI started showing up.
post #60 of 70
Assassin,

I read a review that said there is not a mounting location for an IR receiver in the QC05 case. Is that your experience?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin Thin Mini-ITX Project